PS4 - Destiny

PlayStation Plus Update: Limbo $11.99, 4 New Free Games Announced for August

Grace Chen's Avatar + Posted by Grace Chen on Jul 20, 2011 // Sr. Director, PlayStation Store

new plus image

Summer is just starting to sizzle, and we have some amazing content offers coming to PlayStation Plus that will keep you gaming all through the hottest season of the year. Before we get to the offers available starting July 26th and August 2nd, we are thrilled to let you know that the critically-acclaimed title Limbo is now available for $11.99 (a 20% discount) to all PlayStation Plus members, until August 1st.

PlayStation Plus 02

You may also notice a change in the look of the Plus category on PlayStation Store. We’ve updated the design to make it easier for members to navigate through the 100+ offers available, and grouped everything together in a way to easily identify what’s being offered. Here’s a rundown on what you’ll see on PlayStation Store’s Plus page:

New Releases: Find the weekly Tuesday updates for PlayStation Plus. We’ll still feature the bigger bi-weekly offers which will cover the monthly free games, along with discounts and exclusives, and there will continue to be smaller updates throughout the month.

Last Chance: You should snag these offers quick, as they’ll end the upcoming Tuesday.

Games: Here you’ll find all the games offered in Plus, including the free games available for the month to PlayStation Plus users.

Reminder: Access to Free Games requires an active PlayStation Plus subscription; Games purchased in Plus Are Yours to keep.

Add-Ons: Find free and discounted add-ons in this category.

Reminder: Access to Free Add-Ons requires an active PlayStation Plus subscription; Add-Ons purchased in Plus are yours to keep

Themes and Avatars: Your one-stop shop for all custom themes and avatars, free and discounted, through PlayStation Plus.

Reminder: Any of these offers downloaded in PlayStation Plus are yours to keep

Full Game Trials: Play PlayStation Network High Definition Digital Games for an hour. These are the high valued (some $30 – $60) digital copies of the Blu-ray games available at retail stores you can download directly to your PS3 for free. Experience the full game with all features turned on such as: Multiplayer, Trophies, online and more. If you want more after the one-hour test drive, you can directly purchase from PlayStation Store the game afterwards and keep all your hard earned trophies and game data.

Reminder: All downloaded Full Game Trials in PlayStation Plus are yours to keep

Side Note: We’ve been hearing from PlayStation Plus subscribers that the yellow icons are difficult to read, so starting on August 2nd, you’ll notice a new, darker tone for those icons. Thanks for your feedback!

As always, check below for the highlighted offers, along with the full list that follows:

Free Games and DLC
As we mentioned in the headline, we have four free games lined up for you soon on PlayStation Plus. On August 2nd, subscribers can download PSN title Crash Commando, PSone title Destruction Derby, and minis Dr. Maybe and the Adventures of Scarygirl and Omg-Z! all for free. We also have the Funky Lab Rat: Challenge Bundle DLC coming to you for free on July 26th.

Huge Discounts
Starting July 26th two new $5 offers.
Sega Rally Online Arcade (One-week only). Also available, action-packed monster romp Eat Them!

Great Exclusives
Channel your inner futuristic super soldier in Section 8: Prejudice with access to an exclusive Prejudice Hunter Armor, available for free to all PlayStation Plus subscribers. Additionally, the first 1,000 PlayStation Plus subscribers to download Section 8: Prejudice will get a message sent to their XMB message box for the original game, Section 8, completely free! This offer will end on August 2nd.

We also have some new high-profile Full Game Trials coming your way, with the medieval fantasy RPG Dragon Age: Origins and the action packed open-world FPS Far Cry 2.

Thanks again, and be sure to check out our full list of PlayStation Plus deals below.

Here is the content list for July 26th and August 2nd:

Free PSN: Crash Commando, Aug 2
Free PS One: Destruction Derby, Aug 2
Free minis: Dr. Maybe and the Adventures of Scarygirl, Aug 2
OMG-Z!, Aug 2
Free DLC: Funky Lab Rat: Challenge Bundle, Jul 26
Free Exclusive In Game Item: Section 8: Prejudice Hunter Armor, Jul 26
Exclusive Discounts: SEGA Rally Online Arcade – 50% off, Jul 26 (One Week Only)
Eat Them – 50% off, Jul 26
One Epic Game Mini– New Release 50% off, Aug 2
Farm Frenzy Mini – 70% off, Aug 2
Full Game Trial: Dragon Age: Origins, Aug 2
Far Cry 2, Aug 2
Free Dynamic Theme: City Dynamic Theme, Aug 2
Exclusive Avatar Bundle: Super Street Fighter® IV (8-Bit) PSN Avatar Bundle (35), $2.99, Jul 26
Free Media: Qore, August Episode – Single Episode, August 2

Fish Tank Dynamic Theme, Ends Jul 26
Growing Garden Dynamic Theme, Ends Aug 2
PlayStation Plus Clock Dynamic Theme, Ends Aug 2
Free Media: Qore, July Episode – Single Episode, Ends August 2

PAGE 1 2 3

+ TomHoang on July 20th, 2011 at 1:43 pm said:

Thanks, glad you guys didn’t forget about Crash Commando.

Grace Chen's Avatar

+ Morgan Haro on July 20th, 2011 at 2:09 pm said:

Hope everyone enjoys it! =)

+ FORMIK on July 20th, 2011 at 1:45 pm said:

I’ve always wanted to try Crash Commando. I’m glad to see it’s back on the calendar.

The new look for the Plus section looks good. Does it have anything to do with the rumored new design for the PlayStation Store?

+ DazeOfWar on July 20th, 2011 at 1:49 pm said:

Not to bad. I already have Crash Commando but with more people getting it maybe I’ll play some more. Destruction Derby is cool but so wish it was the 2nd one instead since it’s so much better. I most likely will pick up Sega Rally and Eat Them but everything else is ho humm.

I do like the new format though. Easier to read now.

+ awsome_robot on July 20th, 2011 at 1:55 pm said:

Sega rally’s price drop has convinced me to get it.

Grace Chen's Avatar

+ Morgan Haro on July 20th, 2011 at 2:07 pm said:

I missed it myself first time around, so I’ll definitely be checking it out too via Plus discount.

+ whatisdelicious on July 20th, 2011 at 1:56 pm said:

That Clock theme sucks. Take it down now, or at least let me change the XMB’s font color. It’s been 5 years, and that’s still not a feature.

+ StealthReborn– on July 20th, 2011 at 1:56 pm said:

I have a few questions.

When the Dragon Age: Origins Full Game trial makes its way on August 2nd, will the full game be released along with it?

If the full game of Dragon Age: Origins makes its way to PSN, will it be the standard regular edition of Dragon Age: Origins, or Dragon Age: Origins Ultimate Edition (Ultimate Edition has all the DLC included).

I’ve been planning on purchasing the Ultimate Edition for $30 new, so can you clear that up for me? Standard or Ultimate? Thanks! =)

PS: I like how you categorized the PS+ section to make it more neat and tidy. Although if I could make a recommendation, change the color from yellow to perhaps blue or something. The yellow is really bright and it’s actually hard to read the categories of what’s what.

Thanks again! =)

+ mcbuttz78 on July 20th, 2011 at 1:57 pm said:

5$ for sega rally u got your self a deal.. A congrats onthe promotion Gracie C.. Well deserved..

+ DeathGazer on July 20th, 2011 at 2:00 pm said:

Eh, not too bad. Interested in the Far Cry 2 trial since there’s no demo for it.

Europe still gets better free games like Burnout Paradise, Castle Crashers, and LoK: Soul Reaver.

+ morris1129 on July 20th, 2011 at 2:00 pm said:

off topic: Has anybody come close to filling up their 150mb cloud save?? I still have 141 mb left.

+ SpyDudeFX on July 20th, 2011 at 2:02 pm said:

Love the new breakdown, this is how EU Plus does it and I’m glad the US Plus is also doing it. Easy to understand and see all the content available. Please more exclusive avatars, not exclusive bundles of for sale avatars but Plus only avatars that you can’t get anywhere else. It’s the only thing we never get and some Home content.

+ DazeOfWar on July 20th, 2011 at 2:05 pm said:

@morris: I was down below 70 mb on mine.

+ Enforcer_X on July 20th, 2011 at 2:07 pm said:

PlayStaion Plus is great and I love it but really I need more than 150MB of storage and I think the Auto download should have some more power and options such as scanning my entire Game Data folder and auto updating everything.

Looking forward to Limbo!

+ dushku on July 20th, 2011 at 2:07 pm said:

Niiiice)
What about Comix Zone?

Grace Chen's Avatar

+ Morgan Haro on July 20th, 2011 at 2:09 pm said:

We’ll have more details on the Genesis collection in Plus a bit later, but we haven’t forgotten about it, don’t you worry!

+ Esena on July 20th, 2011 at 2:17 pm said:

Love the new layout for PS+!

Also…can you put the Braid deal back up!? I was out of town when the deal went live and the store updated before I was able to snag it. :(

+ morris1129 on July 20th, 2011 at 2:18 pm said:

@enforcer I wish we could schedule the auto date for whenever we wanted. Because I never know when I is going to turn on during the middle of the night. Or a better option would be a manual update.

+ Kirkpad on July 20th, 2011 at 2:18 pm said:

WOW, you guys stepped up for the post-freebie month. I called it, and never doubted you for a second ;)

+ Juelz345 on July 20th, 2011 at 2:18 pm said:

@6

If the Full Game trial is there, then the full game is there. That’s how it works.

As far as what edition…i’m guessing it’ll just be regular edition. There might be a discount on the DLC around that time though, who knows.

+ jqtaxpayer on July 20th, 2011 at 2:19 pm said:

$15 for Borderlands GOTY Edition is enticing, but — lo and behold — my free Plus membership expired a day or two ago. Still, even for $20, there’s a lot of content for not a lot of money.

A little off-topic, but the PSP version of MLB 10 The Show is the same price as MLB 11 The Show — any chance of a price drop on ’10? I’d really like a good baseball game for my PSP Go, and cash is a little tighter than usual these days — figured there’s no reason ’10 should be the same price as ’11 and here we are.

+ Kchow23 on July 20th, 2011 at 2:23 pm said:

Would like to see some PS+ deals on PSP Games or on MK add ons, but the new look for the PS+ section is better.

+ snake4308 on July 20th, 2011 at 2:23 pm said:

what about mass effect 2? it’s been off the store for months…and what about it’s free game trial?

+ Cedge410 on July 20th, 2011 at 2:23 pm said:

Will there be more MLB 11 the show avatars added??

+ b00kthree on July 20th, 2011 at 2:25 pm said:

I’d like to see more quality family-friendly titles on Plus. Bomberman Ultra was pretty good… Haven’t seen much free content worth downloading since, nor for quite a while before that.

+ xaos on July 20th, 2011 at 2:27 pm said:

Having popped a 750GB HDD into my PS3, I’m a big fan of the full game offerings. Looks like a great batch for Aug 2; keep em coming!

+ Amans91 on July 20th, 2011 at 2:31 pm said:

Hey Blog keep the PS+ Update articles like this, it’s very easy to follow and gives a good overview of what we PS+ subscribers can look forward to.

Grace Chen's Avatar

+ Morgan Haro on July 20th, 2011 at 3:27 pm said:

Thanks for the feedback; and if anything we’ll be making it even easier to keep track of what’s coming.

+ ddpowwow849 on July 20th, 2011 at 2:33 pm said:

Great deals cannot wait to jump aboard

+ Basindo on July 20th, 2011 at 2:33 pm said:

OMG I’m gonna kill myself I played Destruction Derby a million times on my PS1 but my PS Plus ends on August 31st NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

+ DZORMAGEN on July 20th, 2011 at 2:34 pm said:

Heads up to everyone. Amazon.com has the 12 Months Plus for $39.99. SAVE $10.00…. GO GO GO!!

+ marasune on July 20th, 2011 at 2:37 pm said:

So in terms of free DLC, such as Brinks upcoming free DLC, is it safe to assume we wont be seeing that next week either? I mean you just told us whats upcoming, and I don’t see it. Unless, like the title says, this is strictly PS Plus content. However, my case still stands.

Grace Chen's Avatar

+ Morgan Haro on July 22nd, 2011 at 12:24 pm said:

Don’t have any info on Brink DLC, but check the Store Update. If it’s free outside of the Plus program, then we wouldn’t really call it out in the ‘Coming to Plus’ posts. Thanks!

+ hxcjondoe on July 20th, 2011 at 2:37 pm said:

i still think they need to put kingdom hearts on the psn

+ JillyDad on July 20th, 2011 at 2:40 pm said:

I keep bringing this up, but when can I get Lumines for my PSP Go? Is there a problem?

+ TheUndertaker85 on July 20th, 2011 at 2:41 pm said:

Nice updates coming. Will Section 8: Prejudice give out download messages to the first 1k Plus members instantly for Section 8 or will they come at a later date? Either way it’s a fantastic deal for Plus members, in particular the first 1k buyers. Gonna have to try and get it myself quickly. I really hope we see more deals/bonuses like this in the future, particularly for early Plus buyers.

Also if I might make a suggestion for the new Plus store icons. I’ve been talking about it with friends and we all have the same idea. The white text on yellow makes it hard to read. Might you either:

A) Keep the yellow background but have black text

Or B) Use the black backgrounds more with a yellow text?

Either way I’m really liking the new setup for Plus on the store. Makes things much easier and efficient to find content you’re looking for.

I suggested this a few weeks back too. When you all sell full game titles on the store that have DLC, avatars, or themes, would you all be willing to give out these bonuses with a full game purchase through PSN? This would really help the PS Store have an edge over competitors and odds are boost sales for full game titles over PSN versus store purchases or used purchases.

Grace Chen's Avatar

+ Morgan Haro on July 20th, 2011 at 3:32 pm said:

Thanks for all the feedback. We noted that the new Plus section could use a color update to make it a bit easier to read, so Grace and the Store team is on that =) We’ll also be posting how people will be receiving their Section 8 bonus as it gets closer.

+ MassaBR on July 20th, 2011 at 2:42 pm said:

I don’t see the Resistance 3 beta there… please make it available for Playstation Plus subscribers! It’s an SCEA game after all.

+ Kirkpad on July 20th, 2011 at 2:43 pm said:

@28, lol you’re right, lets just keep asking on every blog post ever. ;)

@29, that game is published by Ubisoft and the music licensing rights get shaky if they try to resell the game again.

+ TheUndertaker85 on July 20th, 2011 at 2:43 pm said:

I did forget this too until I read hxcjondoe’s comment…

Please try to get more Kingdom Hearts titles up on the store. My fiancee really loves the series. But as we have a PSP Go, she’s kind of out of luck on the PSP front… Even I would love to try out Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep if you all made it available on the store for Go owners.

+ CrazedZombies91 on July 20th, 2011 at 2:43 pm said:

Will games that be put up on Full Game trails for PSN have Trophy updates in the future like the release of Assassin’s Creed, and Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighters 2?

+ TheUndertaker85 on July 20th, 2011 at 2:47 pm said:

@MassaBR: NA Plus subscribers won’t be getting the Resistance 3 beta as a beta voucher is available here with a SOCOM 4 purchase. EU Plus subscribers are only getting it because nothing like that is available there. Sorry to burst your bubble, but if it was going to happen for NA Plus subscribers I’m sure there’d already be details about it.

+ BeechV35Pilot on July 20th, 2011 at 2:56 pm said:

Looking forward to Destruction Derby.

Would be great if Savage Moon and its DLC appeared on one of the PS+ lists someday soon (free or discounted).

+ JonNYK246 on July 20th, 2011 at 3:00 pm said:

What about us who didn’t buy PS+???

Grace Chen's Avatar

+ Morgan Haro on July 20th, 2011 at 3:34 pm said:

That’s what the awesome Store updates are for, my friend. But the ‘Coming to PlayStation Plus’ posts on the blog are always 100% Plus news.

+ MrBeatdown on July 20th, 2011 at 3:02 pm said:

You should considering giving out the DLC for older games offered, like Crash Commando. DLC is always the weakest offering in Plus. The Killzone DLC is really the only notable DLC I can think of that has been offered since the Warhawk DLC a year ago.

Instead of something obscure like the Funky Lab Rat DLC, give us DLC all of us can use like Crash Commando’s. It would be a nice touch, especially for those of us who already own the monthly games.

And I like the new format, both here, and on the store.

Oh, and PLEASE, give us Castle Crashers next month, like Europe is got this month! That would be huge!

+ zzamaro on July 20th, 2011 at 3:04 pm said:

Wow, thanks for this. Since I signed up for plus for one year in March, my HDD has been getting low in space more quickly. I still have 64GB out of 250(it’s lower, I know) in space.

+ YungShep on July 20th, 2011 at 3:06 pm said:

So I assume with the official free crash commando announcement, everybody is happy now, lol. I got it already, its pretty epic. Trophies, custom soundtracks, 12 players online. I’m stoked about sega rally for 5 buks! Sign me up

+ Grouken on July 20th, 2011 at 3:07 pm said:

Nice update but… no more free avatars?

+ rockinjs864 on July 20th, 2011 at 3:10 pm said:

Speaking Of The Resistance 3 Beta Anyone Know When It’s Starting July 25th Or Early August ?

+ burningwind on July 20th, 2011 at 3:10 pm said:

Thank you so much for ditching the yellow. I kinda like the new layout but it is taking a little getting used to. I am sure it will be streamlined better in the coming weeks as feedback is recieved.

+ KidCommando on July 20th, 2011 at 3:10 pm said:

All sounds good to me!

+ YungShep on July 20th, 2011 at 3:11 pm said:

@37 U GETS NO LOVE!!!!!!! It’s for us commited gamers who want to EXTEND OUR PLAY. u had a chance to try the service free, so suck it up

+ TomHoang on July 20th, 2011 at 3:12 pm said:

@37, ya know you can sign up anytime you want.

+ YungShep on July 20th, 2011 at 3:14 pm said:

Lol @38 I know the feeling. I’m coasting on a 320gb HDD but I have less then 20gb remaining :/ more……space….lol its the full games and the movies that occupy my ps3 I got DCUO its over 18gb alone

+ rockinjs864 on July 20th, 2011 at 3:17 pm said:

Love How PS+ Has Stepped It Back Up After The Free Month Was Over.Keep It Coming Guys

+ bakerarmy on July 20th, 2011 at 3:19 pm said:

Glad you guys broke it down for the whole month. It is a better way of laying it out.
I am also glad you are changing those colors.

Still upset about day one DLC for Dead Block, I would have never bought it if you didn’t hide the dlc in the add-on sub folders. I remember when I could click on new releases and every thing was there. If sub folders are needed why not make a demo sub folder and a video one too? I know why, cause it wouldn’t make sense, just like hiding Day one DLC makes no sense.

PAGE 1 2 3