PS4 - The Last of Us Remastered

PlayStation Plus Update: Limbo $11.99, 4 New Free Games Announced for August

Grace Chen's Avatar + Posted by Grace Chen on Jul 20, 2011 // Sr. Director, PlayStation Store

new plus image

Summer is just starting to sizzle, and we have some amazing content offers coming to PlayStation Plus that will keep you gaming all through the hottest season of the year. Before we get to the offers available starting July 26th and August 2nd, we are thrilled to let you know that the critically-acclaimed title Limbo is now available for $11.99 (a 20% discount) to all PlayStation Plus members, until August 1st.

PlayStation Plus 02

You may also notice a change in the look of the Plus category on PlayStation Store. We’ve updated the design to make it easier for members to navigate through the 100+ offers available, and grouped everything together in a way to easily identify what’s being offered. Here’s a rundown on what you’ll see on PlayStation Store’s Plus page:

New Releases: Find the weekly Tuesday updates for PlayStation Plus. We’ll still feature the bigger bi-weekly offers which will cover the monthly free games, along with discounts and exclusives, and there will continue to be smaller updates throughout the month.

Last Chance: You should snag these offers quick, as they’ll end the upcoming Tuesday.

Games: Here you’ll find all the games offered in Plus, including the free games available for the month to PlayStation Plus users.

Reminder: Access to Free Games requires an active PlayStation Plus subscription; Games purchased in Plus Are Yours to keep.

Add-Ons: Find free and discounted add-ons in this category.

Reminder: Access to Free Add-Ons requires an active PlayStation Plus subscription; Add-Ons purchased in Plus are yours to keep

Themes and Avatars: Your one-stop shop for all custom themes and avatars, free and discounted, through PlayStation Plus.

Reminder: Any of these offers downloaded in PlayStation Plus are yours to keep

Full Game Trials: Play PlayStation Network High Definition Digital Games for an hour. These are the high valued (some $30 – $60) digital copies of the Blu-ray games available at retail stores you can download directly to your PS3 for free. Experience the full game with all features turned on such as: Multiplayer, Trophies, online and more. If you want more after the one-hour test drive, you can directly purchase from PlayStation Store the game afterwards and keep all your hard earned trophies and game data.

Reminder: All downloaded Full Game Trials in PlayStation Plus are yours to keep

Side Note: We’ve been hearing from PlayStation Plus subscribers that the yellow icons are difficult to read, so starting on August 2nd, you’ll notice a new, darker tone for those icons. Thanks for your feedback!

As always, check below for the highlighted offers, along with the full list that follows:

Free Games and DLC
As we mentioned in the headline, we have four free games lined up for you soon on PlayStation Plus. On August 2nd, subscribers can download PSN title Crash Commando, PSone title Destruction Derby, and minis Dr. Maybe and the Adventures of Scarygirl and Omg-Z! all for free. We also have the Funky Lab Rat: Challenge Bundle DLC coming to you for free on July 26th.

Huge Discounts
Starting July 26th two new $5 offers.
Sega Rally Online Arcade (One-week only). Also available, action-packed monster romp Eat Them!

Great Exclusives
Channel your inner futuristic super soldier in Section 8: Prejudice with access to an exclusive Prejudice Hunter Armor, available for free to all PlayStation Plus subscribers. Additionally, the first 1,000 PlayStation Plus subscribers to download Section 8: Prejudice will get a message sent to their XMB message box for the original game, Section 8, completely free! This offer will end on August 2nd.

We also have some new high-profile Full Game Trials coming your way, with the medieval fantasy RPG Dragon Age: Origins and the action packed open-world FPS Far Cry 2.

Thanks again, and be sure to check out our full list of PlayStation Plus deals below.

Here is the content list for July 26th and August 2nd:

Free PSN: Crash Commando, Aug 2
Free PS One: Destruction Derby, Aug 2
Free minis: Dr. Maybe and the Adventures of Scarygirl, Aug 2
OMG-Z!, Aug 2
Free DLC: Funky Lab Rat: Challenge Bundle, Jul 26
Free Exclusive In Game Item: Section 8: Prejudice Hunter Armor, Jul 26
Exclusive Discounts: SEGA Rally Online Arcade – 50% off, Jul 26 (One Week Only)
Eat Them – 50% off, Jul 26
One Epic Game Mini– New Release 50% off, Aug 2
Farm Frenzy Mini – 70% off, Aug 2
Full Game Trial: Dragon Age: Origins, Aug 2
Far Cry 2, Aug 2
Free Dynamic Theme: City Dynamic Theme, Aug 2
Exclusive Avatar Bundle: Super Street Fighter® IV (8-Bit) PSN Avatar Bundle (35), $2.99, Jul 26
Free Media: Qore, August Episode – Single Episode, August 2

Fish Tank Dynamic Theme, Ends Jul 26
Growing Garden Dynamic Theme, Ends Aug 2
PlayStation Plus Clock Dynamic Theme, Ends Aug 2
Free Media: Qore, July Episode – Single Episode, Ends August 2

PAGE 1 2 3

+ WastelandDan on July 21st, 2011 at 6:17 am said:

Which is also why it doesn’t get done….(:

+ GT-420 on July 21st, 2011 at 6:49 am said:

Yay Crash Commando. You’re all going to love this amazing game. Watch out for the snipers.

+ FfoegNosnibor on July 21st, 2011 at 7:42 am said:

It is nice to see Crash Commando. However, I think we are missing a PSN game somewhere. Crash Commando was supposed to be free pre-PSN-network-Borking.

My issue with not receiving Crash Commando was that we were short a PSN title. I wanted Sony to include this along with the regularly scheduled content releases. Now it is our sole August PSN freebie?

I think it would be useful to answer the question about Dragon Age. Is this the version with all the DLC? Will we get a discounted DLC pack to download? I already own the game but would love to grab some DLC discount to breathe new life into it.

I would also vote for some new (free) avatars and DLC (for disc based titles). I think it would be worth your while to discount DLC on old games heavily. The only overhead is server space. You make a lot of money, and we get more game.

While on the subject: Have you evaluated the way Steam does its crazy sales? Lower the prices to irresistible points and make up the earnings through volume. Best example: the game Prey for $1.99 Winter 09-10. Worthless game, but they sold so much they ran out of CD keys.

+ psychoqwirk420 on July 21st, 2011 at 9:30 am said:

I’m hoping that Plants VS. Zombies, Burn Zombie Burn, Battle: Los Angeles and NBA Unrivaled goes on sale or somehow free/discounted through Playstation Plus. Me personally, I would definitely buy those if they were a bit cheaper. The new PS+ layout threw me for a loop when I first seen it, but now it’s pretty good. Totally diggin’ Borderlands being on sale! Picked that up on Day 1 of the 2k Games sale. That was a HELL of a deal! I don’t remember who it was that mentioned Braid going back on sale, but in response to that: I paid $3.75 (I think) for it, and I still don’t think I got my money’s worth. I can’t imagine paying $15 for it. Maybe it’s just me, but games similar to that just don’t appeal to me. Like Outland and this new Limbo game. Critically Acclaimed for what?! To each their own I guess. In closing, keep up the good work and great deals Sony! Avid fan for LIFE!

+ Cyb3rfr34k-iso on July 21st, 2011 at 10:17 am said:

i spended over 1500$ in my account this years, i think i should get a REAL answer not to get my post deleted.

please explain why you lied to US about the free FOREVER premium game add-ons elements for PS+ subscriber

+ Cyb3rfr34k-iso on July 21st, 2011 at 10:47 am said:

@ Morgan Haro
why are you lying to us
the ONLY reason i subscribed to PS+ 1 years ago was because the PROMISED FREE FOREVER TO KEEP DLC.

so when you say: The guidelines for content on PS Plus have always been the same. Free playable content like games, DLC, you’ll need a Plus subscription to access. Themes, Avatars, and discounted content purchased however, is yours to keep.

YOU LIE Right into my face!

and you delete my previous post lolol!!

24 june 2010:

(Each month there will be dynamic themes, premium avatars and premium game elements/add-ons for you to download and many will be exclusive to PlayStation Plus members only. These are yours to keep forever once you have downloaded them.)

LINK: blog.us.playstation.com/2010/06/24/playstation-plus-your-questions-answered/

+ Cyb3rfr34k-iso on July 21st, 2011 at 10:49 am said:

come on morgan i know you are here! pease answer my question
or maybe you dont care about the real peoples who put $ in your wallet

+ Cyb3rfr34k-iso on July 21st, 2011 at 10:56 am said:

cuz you just deleted 2 of my previous post into the last 10 minutes
i’am sure you can reply.

+ theXsilentXchild on July 21st, 2011 at 11:00 am said:

WHOA! Can you really unlock some of the trophies from the full game trail games without purchasing it? Can someone confirm?

+ Cyb3rfr34k-iso on July 21st, 2011 at 11:04 am said:

@ theXsilentXchild

yes, you can really unlock trophies from full game trial

+ Laviathan19 on July 21st, 2011 at 11:07 am said:

@110 and 111

The trophies will NOT sync to your profile unless the full game is actually purchased.

The Full Game Trial serves as a teaser for the game. It will keep your save data, and you can view trophies unlocked in your trophy section, but those trophies will NOT be added to your profile. As soon as a disc is inserted into your system, though, you’ll be allowed to sync those trophies you already earned during the Trial to your profile.

That may seem confusing, let me know if you need me to rephrase anything

+ Laviathan19 on July 21st, 2011 at 11:08 am said:

112 (Cont’d)

Unless the full game is on the Store for download, like Borderlands or InFamous2, then you won’t need the disc, sotospeak, but you will need to purchase the game before the trophies will sync

+ John-Shooter on July 21st, 2011 at 11:10 am said:

great! more content i already own!

+ Cyb3rfr34k-iso on July 21st, 2011 at 11:11 am said:

@Laviathan19

that’s not true.
every full game trial you play (within the 60 min) and get trophies, can be “sync” and added trough you account an shown even without purchasing it.

+ FfoegNosnibor on July 21st, 2011 at 11:12 am said:

@105-109

There have been a bunch of changes made to PS+ since 6/24/10

One example: Weekly vs. Bi-weekly updates. Now they seem to have come full circle.

I am trying to make sure I understand your post correctly, but did you say you spent over $1500.00 USD on the PSN this year alone? If this is the case, I think it is a safe bet that you can afford to buy a couple DLC packs.

My impression of PS+ is that it is a purchase that one should not undo for the life of the PS3 as you will forget all of the games and add-ons that came through PS+.

The terms of service change a lot. Look at how the PSN ToS has changed through the years.

I could not pull up your link so I grabbed it from Google Cache. Did you notice the opener to the last paragraph, “PlayStation Plus is a continually evolving service…”?

+ Laviathan19 on July 21st, 2011 at 11:14 am said:

@107/Cyb3rfr34k-iso

I’m a little confused as far as the “Add On Content” is concerned, as well. But, I suppose, if the game you downloaded was free for PS+, as was the Add On Content, and your PS+ subscription ends, then I wouldn’t think you could access the free Add On Content, as the game itself was free.

As far as other free Add On Content, I’m not sure. I know stuff like the Little Big Planet Add On Content (different Sack Outfits) that are free with PS+ stay free in game, but maybe Add On Content, such as Map Packs, would not stay as there is normally a fee associated with it.

I agree the wording is a bit confusing. Any specific examples that you’re talking about?

+ Cyb3rfr34k-iso on July 21st, 2011 at 11:28 am said:

@FfoegNosnibor

yeah, soo much changes

true i can afford anything i want, but the only reason “I” subscribe to PS+ 1 years ago was because Jack Trenton at E3 (i dont really remeber his name) stated there will be free game-add-ons forever to keep ( that mean even when my sub will expire)
they even made a blog playstation-plus-your-questions-answered
and explain clearly that the games add-ons is ours forever to keeps.
cuz “I” know i dont want to spend 50$ into themes and avatars and i’m not into a “rental” services (I want to OWN everything i have, if not i dont want it) but i subscribed because of the SUPPOSED forvever to keep add-ons.
i have 120 PS3 retail games + ~130 PSN titles
i have 2 young kids and they play PS3 everydays
i support the PS3 games/industry

but that is a real let down… i really feel rubbed.

+ Laviathan19 on July 21st, 2011 at 11:31 am said:

@115/Cyb3rfr34k-iso

I promise you, check out the main PSN login site.
I think it’s Us(dot)playstation(dot)com(slash)psn(slash)signin
You won’t see any of your Full Game Trial games even listed when you check your trophies.

Sorry for the long link, It usually makes you wait for a moderator to allow it before it posts to the blog.

The trophies I unlocked from the Full Game Trials of Prince of Persia, Split Second, and InFamous2 are not updated to my official trophy list. Though those trophies are viewable via my XMB, and it will perform a sync operation as normal after the trophies are earned during a Full Game Trial, those trophies will not be added to your official profile until the game is purchased.

I did download the Full Game Trial of Borderlands last night, and earned 2 trophies during my 60minutes. I performed a sync operation and they did not post to my profile. This morning, when I bought Borderlands the game (love that $15 GOTY bundle, btw), it did finally post to my profile after syncing.

+ Laviathan19 on July 21st, 2011 at 11:39 am said:

Google it, if you don’t believe me. There are many posts solely throughout the Playstation Community regarding this. It’s even on the EU Community, too, in an official post. http://uk.playstation.com/psn/news/articles/detail/item285499/Full-Game-Trial/

+ Cyb3rfr34k-iso on July 21st, 2011 at 11:40 am said:

@ Laviathan19

1st If you ever got PS+, you know that THEY NEVER GIVE FREE add-ons contents from a FREE games.
they want you to BUY the add-ons EVEN on a “rental” games

2nd, they NEVER gave little big planet outfit only for PS+. they “rent” prehistoric game and ~4 sackboy avatar

+ Cyb3rfr34k-iso on July 21st, 2011 at 11:42 am said:

@Laviathan19
You are right about the trial trophies! they’ll not “sync” thanks for the info.

+ Laviathan19 on July 21st, 2011 at 12:05 pm said:

@+ Cyb3rfr34k-iso

Maybe I just don’t understand your question. Though, that 6/24/10 PS+ post was posted before PS+ service became active. Maybe Sony didn’t make an official announcement that the rules/guidelines changed, and instead just changed the wording on the PS+ agreement confirmation window that pops up, that you must confirm, before it takes you to the Checkout section for download.

PS: I’m not trying to argue with you, just trying to understand it myself. I’m about to go to the Store and try to download something randomly for free so I can read that little PS+ agreement in full.

+ Cyb3rfr34k-iso on July 21st, 2011 at 12:22 pm said:

@Laviathan19

that’s the sad truth. they changed the rules/guidelines without any official announcement.

you answer is very appreciate. i know you are not tryin to argue, thanks for helping me to understand what happen since the beginning of PS+.

+ Laviathan19 on July 21st, 2011 at 12:24 pm said:

Ah, ok here it is (in short):

“…If you purchase add-on items to use with games obtained for free through a PS+ offer, those add-on items will only be usable as long as the game is usable. If the game is no longer usable because you are no longer a PS+ subscriber, a separate purchase of the game will be required in order to use the add-on items you purchased”

So, as I understand it, if the game cost you money and the Add-On stuff did not, that Add-On stuff will not be active unless your PS+ subscription is renewed, or if you just purchase it outright.

Though, if the game and/or Add-On was discounted in price through PS+, you still get to keep it all once your subscription ends, since you did pay for those items.

If the game was free, but Add-On content was not, that’s a big hurt. You would have to either renew your PS+ subscription, or just buy the game outright in order to access your goodies.

That wasn’t really “short”, now, was it?

+ WelmoscaBR on July 21st, 2011 at 1:01 pm said:

I’m sad cuz my PSPlus will end at this time.

+ bakerarmy on July 21st, 2011 at 2:09 pm said:

Let me say Sorry, I am sad you felt the need to delete one Of my posts. I will admit, sometimes I go one about stuff. I know you don’t have a magic box that gives you answers to every thing, but a simple ” we will look into it” would be great. I see some good changes coming to the format and lay out, glad to hear the yellow will be gone.

Any info on the MK arcade collection would be great.

+ Elvick_ on July 21st, 2011 at 2:28 pm said:

Glad you’re fixing the yellow issue.

+ OrionHaden on July 21st, 2011 at 2:28 pm said:

Why are these games like Limbo and Dead Block so hyped up as if they have not been available on xbox for a week to a year. We need to step up the psn games selection

+ OrionHaden on July 21st, 2011 at 2:31 pm said:

Also can plus members get some new games free not two yr old games almost 90% of the plus free games i already own stacking was a good deal.

+ AbelinZ on July 21st, 2011 at 5:37 pm said:

great thing for psn plus users it getting better and better..

+ Faenix1 on July 21st, 2011 at 6:29 pm said:

Any fix for 80023102 that works? Contact sony, they tell me to check my connection. I reset my connection, and guess what? still get errors when I try to add funds, or checkout.

Was then told to buy PSN cards, why? to be taxed twice? To have money sitting in my wallet? Good grief, let me use my CC I just want $65 – $74 – worth of items, rather not have to buy a $50 and to $20s (all canada has) so $17 can sit in my PSN wallet :/)

+ cFREYRE100 on July 21st, 2011 at 7:06 pm said:

COME ON WHEN IS THE Resident Evil Operation Raccoon City demo coming out if anyone knows please let me know

+ Motherboop on July 21st, 2011 at 8:51 pm said:

Sega Rally @ 5$, I’m on it…..as soon as I have my YLOD repaired! First one in 4 years of ownership.

+ lisatsunami on July 22nd, 2011 at 1:37 am said:

I played the Limbo demo. I was prepared to dislike it–side-scroller/platformers–ugh, but I played the whole demo and it was pretty darn good. I think $12 bucks is not unreasonable, but if it’s really that short for the average gamer & when you think about games like Demon Souls, Elder Scrolls, Dragon Age etc. that give a hundred, or multiples of that, hours of gameplay for only 4 or 5 times the price, then I do see the point of complaints.

Borderlands bundle is a steal. Played the trial (yet another awesome PS Plus bonus) & it was really fun, although I did shoot that annoying little ‘bot a couple times,

I think this week’s update is fantastic, and yes it can’t be a coincidence that the free welcome backs are now mostly expired.

+ PimblyCharles on July 22nd, 2011 at 10:53 am said:

This is the first PSone game since I’ve been a PS Plus member (6 months so far) that I’m excited to play. Destruction Derby was one of the games I never got play back in the day, but really wanted to. I think I bought Ridge Racer instead of Destruction Derby, so I never got to play it. It is going to be weird having a first impression of a game so old. As long as it’s fun, I don’t care how old the graphics are. Can’t wait for Comix Zone! Too bad it’s coming out after Altered Beast. I never understood the appeal for that game, it wasn’t great, but it was okay. Thanks Sony!

+ Suikodn on July 22nd, 2011 at 10:18 pm said:

So wait…is the Funky Lab Rat Full Game free? Or the add-on?

+ Autoxfool on July 24th, 2011 at 8:12 am said:

Yet another “free” (rented) game where it has DLC, that’s both not included nor discounted. You’re guise is not fooling me at all as Sony continues to do this with our ‘free’ games. Get game, has DLC ( most likely ) with trophies that gets sync’d to your profile…so for us who like to get the trophies for the games we have at or near 100%….we can’t. Looks incomplete and frankly is downright stupid to have those sync when you have no possible way to get them (*without spending money on the “free” game you just got…of course)….and no reason for them to show unless you actually have said product.

Feeling a little cheesed about Magic ’11 free. I’ve unlocked all the cards I possibly can without the expansions (which isn’t a short process) and I still can’t get the ‘unlock all cards’ trophy which is part of the original game trophies. Not to mention playing online with all the people with all those extra cards from expansions is a nice level playing field….LOL

+ Autoxfool on July 24th, 2011 at 8:23 am said:

How about you just get us COMPLETE FREE BUNDLES and quit with this garage charade with our “free” games, then (with little doubt in my head) hoping that we’ll buy the DLC. Two-fold: 1. Buying DLC greatly increases our likelihood of keeping Plus so we don’t lose the game. 2. Increases our likelihood of purchasing the game should our subscription end. Either way, $$ to Sony.

And quit calling these game ‘free’, because they clearly are NOT. Sony’s use of wording is pathetic and deceiving. Calling something free, then taking it away….is CLEARLY NOT FREE….that’s RENTED. CALL it what it is.

+ FireDog42 on July 24th, 2011 at 12:00 pm said:

@ autoxfool. true. about the games that are “free” for ps+ are basicly a rental. but i see it in a differnt way. lets take crash cammando for example. lets say its $9.99 for non ps+ users. you like to know the game is about. you seen the trailers, gameplay videos and other people’s opinion about the game. but you dont to spend $9,99 on something you might not enjoy. but the ps+ users can play the game for free. but you have to pay alittle more. so enstead buying a game that you can NEVER return for your money back. you buy the 3 month serves of ps+. you played it and found out that you hate it. you just saved yourself from wasting on a game that you just now hate. but what about the 3 month of ps+ you got? well, you can find games that has the ps+ discount on it that you might like and save alittle more money to buy another game, play a game trail that can work the same way of the example i gave you about crash commando, same goes to minis & ps1 games. plus if you hate the game after you buy the ps+ and downloaded the game for free. at least you can keep the trophys. that what i did. the only trophy that wont sync is the trail ones. but other than that. ps+ is ok. not the best, but it good for something.

+ streetskater94 on July 24th, 2011 at 9:12 pm said:

it would be great if you could add a section to the playstation store where you give us a list of games we could get free with plus for the next update, and plus members got to vote on the monthly free games.

+ MJoniaux on July 24th, 2011 at 10:51 pm said:

Loving the deals you’ve been putting out lately. I bought AC2 for 9.99, burnout paradise with some add-ons for about 7.50, this is great especially since these are also available for retail. Was disappointed Infamous 2 was still 60 bucks even though it was a download so it didn’t cost you anything to put it there, still bought it though cause I love the franchise. I’m about to buy borderlands today since that’s also on sale as a full game + add-on bundle. But do what Steam does, everyday it’s a new deal, and also weekly deals to. Other than that, I appreciate all the free games and discounts your giving :D

+ MR_MK on July 25th, 2011 at 5:59 am said:

Great update! i have an answer! i m plus member, but how i know when my suscription ends?

+ FireDog42 on July 25th, 2011 at 12:10 pm said:

@MR_MK. if you download a free game from the ps+ section of the psstore. the game will tell you when your ps+ subscription will end. and how many days you have left. by going to the part where the game will tell you its name, parent control lvl, how big the game is, what verison of the game you have, who own the game (as in what user downloaded it). and near the bottom it will tell you when the game was downloaded and installed. when will it expire (thats your superscription exasperation date) and how many days you have left till the expire date (not time)

+ MR_MK on July 27th, 2011 at 4:43 am said:

FireDog42 thanks!

+ Mohran on July 29th, 2011 at 4:56 pm said:

There must be new games for Plus users, we buy a fancy amounts should reward those Nara there must be exclusive to his toys weekly Plus I hope to see behind me in the opinion replies

+ ChameleonX on July 31st, 2011 at 10:06 am said:

Free Destruction Derby for PSOne, sweet! Been awhile since I’ve played that one!

PAGE 1 2 3