PS4-Watch_Dogs

NBA 2K12: Jordan, Magic, Bird, and PlayStation Move

Ronnie Singh's Avatar + Posted by Ronnie Singh on Jul 21, 2011 // Sr. Community Manager, 2K Games

Ronnie2K here! I have been a contributor on the PlayStation.Blog many times, and I am back again for the yearly NBA 2K news cycle. Today I am extremely excited to announce the cover for NBA 2K12, the latest game in the unrivaled basketball video game franchise that sold over 5 million units last year and garnered over 20 ‘Sports Game of the Year’ accolades.

As a kid, I remember watching basketball religiously. Looking back, there were three icons in the basketball world that stood out for me, all for their different strengths. I imagine you late 20s-early 30s gamers know exactly who I am talking about.

Fast forward to 2011. Yes, this year we have not one, not two, but three cover athletes! And not just any three players. We’re talking about three of the NBA’s greatest legends: Michael Jordan, Larry Bird and Magic Johnson.

NBA 2K12 - JordanNBA 2K12 - MagicNBA 2K12 - Bird

As you can see, the new stylized NBA 2K12 covers are a unique, one-time departure from the traditional 2K Sports brand artwork and spotlight each legendary athlete on his famous team: Michael Jordan on the Chicago Bulls, Larry Bird on the Boston Celtics, and Magic Johnson on the Los Angeles Lakers. The Bird and Johnson covers will be available only at launch while supplies last for PlayStation 3 so you’ll have to jump on the game early to make sure you get your favorite.

I thought that we couldn’t do things bigger and better after last year’s first-time inclusion of Michael Jordan. But by putting three legends on the cover, we’re really speaking to fans across all generations and celebrating the legacy of legendary ballers, past and present. Larry Legend with his unmatched jump shot, Magic with the unstoppable Showtime Lakers, along with the incomparable Michael Jordan are players that gamers of all ages can appreciate. From a marketing point of view, this will be an unprecedented year for things we can do to bring the only basketball simulation game to your homes.

In the coming months, we will be discussing the various countless features and modes that make NBA 2K12 unrivaled. In the meantime, for those who missed it, please feel free to check out Kobe Bryant showing off NBA 2K12 using the PlayStation Move at the Sony Press Conference a few weeks ago at E3. Yes, the PlayStation Move will be back and better than ever in NBA 2K12 so more news on that soon. Also, below you will see the first screen shot from NBA 2K12.

nba-xenon-0007

As always, thanks to the great people at PlayStation for giving me this time to talk to you about the NBA 2K12 cover. And of course, thanks to you passionate Sony fans who have helped us make the NBA 2K Franchise what it is. Make sure to follow us on Facebook to see exclusive info for the NBA 2K Franchise in the coming months or hit me up personally on Twitter anytime.

I’ll be taking questions below so feel free to ask any follow-up questions. I am sure I will be posting another blog in the coming weeks. Thanks for reading!

PAGE 1 2 3

+ gd0495 on July 21st, 2011 at 1:16 pm said:

Cant wait to pick this game up!

+ altrodesi on July 21st, 2011 at 1:23 pm said:

Looks impressive.

+ MaestroX on July 21st, 2011 at 1:36 pm said:

Dirk shouldve got the cover

+ Ronnie Singh on July 21st, 2011 at 1:57 pm said:

Dirk’s accomplishments speak for themselves and he would have been a worthy selection, especially after getting over the hump in his quest for a NBA Championship. But with the opportunity to bring the three greatest legends of all time and pay homage to them, it was a opportunity we couldn’t pass up.

+ Rome9BC on July 21st, 2011 at 1:53 pm said:

Ronnie2K can you tell me if in 2K12 will we be able to play with Classic teams in online exhibition and in private team up games?

+ Ronnie Singh on July 21st, 2011 at 1:55 pm said:

Hi Rome, that has yet to be announced. Many features like that will come to light over the coming weeks.

+ Ronnie Singh on July 21st, 2011 at 1:54 pm said:

Hey guys, I am here fielding questions. Hit me with them!

+ Spinx3500 on July 21st, 2011 at 1:57 pm said:

D-Rose should have been on the cover!

+ Ronnie Singh on July 21st, 2011 at 1:58 pm said:

We have a great relationship with DRose, I had the pleasure of meeting him last year. After his MVP season, another great candidate. But how could we possibly pass up the opportunity to have the three legends?

+ BigPoppaB on July 21st, 2011 at 1:58 pm said:

I love these covers… and the continued legends approach.

Shame that the Bird and Magic covers look off. The smoke behind the player should be their team colour. Green smoke behind Bird, yellow behind Magic.

It looks great for MJ though

+ Ronnie Singh on July 21st, 2011 at 2:03 pm said:

It’s funny you say that because I know that was attempted. Two things… how much different do we want the covers to look? Don’t want to confuse people to buy what they think are different games when the game is the same. And red is our brand color over here at 2K Sports, Green and Yellow would clash against those.

I think the end result made for a brilliant cover, even transcendent. I would argue that this is the best sports video game cover of all time, no question.

+ Sc0pe92 on July 21st, 2011 at 1:59 pm said:

Ronnie2k are all three games the same? or will each game have a game mode specific to the player on the cover? for example the magic johnson cover will only have his game mode instead or michael jordans or larry birds?

+ Ronnie Singh on July 21st, 2011 at 2:05 pm said:

Good question Sc0pe. The cover is the only thing different. The game disc will be the same and the modes will be the same. As time passes, it’ll become clear what we do with bringing attention to the legends a la the Jordan Challenge mode from 2K11. But the modes will not be specific to the cover you get.

+ BigPoppaB on July 21st, 2011 at 1:59 pm said:

Also… I’m a long time NBA 2K player, but I have a beef.

Why did you guys remove Rucker Park and the other outdoor areas for the 2 v 2 pickup games? I used to love playing there.

+ Ronnie Singh on July 21st, 2011 at 2:06 pm said:

Are you referring to Blacktop mode?

+ Rome9BC on July 21st, 2011 at 2:00 pm said:

Ok thanks for the response Ronnie one more question are the Bird and Magic cover going to be available on the 360?

+ Ronnie Singh on July 21st, 2011 at 2:00 pm said:

BTW, I would be remiss to say that we appreciated so much your guys efforts in “unlocking” the NBA 2K12 cover over our social media. We have been trending most of the past 24 hours, really a testament to you guys and the quality of our game.

+ BigPoppaB on July 21st, 2011 at 2:00 pm said:

@Sc0pe92

That would be a huge letdown if each game has exclusive content… and then eventually you gotta pay extra to get it.

Not like NBA 2K has ever done this… but its a growing trend in the industry, and I’m a cynic

+ Ronnie Singh on July 21st, 2011 at 2:08 pm said:

Yes, we’re not looking to make you buy all three to get content. We know there’ll be a lot of collectors who will but we want to bring you that single “best sports game of all time” experience that we are known for.

+ TCx32 on July 21st, 2011 at 2:01 pm said:

Is Reggie Miller in the game? gotta be.. lol

+ Ronnie Singh on July 21st, 2011 at 2:09 pm said:

We have gotten a lot of questions like this today. Not surprising. This will become clear as time passes.

+ maddenglitch2 on July 21st, 2011 at 2:03 pm said:

Is there going to be more CG pre-game, half-time, and post-game videos? I liked what you did with Michael Jordan at the beginning of 2k11. I was dissapointed that wasn’t put into the rest of the game with other teams.

+ Ronnie Singh on July 21st, 2011 at 2:10 pm said:

A lot of people liked that opening montage in 2K11. Some of that was discussed during E3 for 2K12 and I am sure upcoming Developer Insights will address that further.

+ Druwskii on July 21st, 2011 at 2:03 pm said:

The game looks great, with more and more information coming out about this game it’s hard not to get excited for it. Makes me want to fire up my association on 2k11 hah, but I was wondering has the NBA Lockout affected this game in anyway? Also are we going to be able tell this game is a step up from the last when we play it? The screenshot of gameplay looks better, did you guys work on all the character models? I like dirks leg muscles ; )

+ Ronnie Singh on July 21st, 2011 at 2:12 pm said:

Good question Druw. The fallout from the lockout will become clear as we go along, but I think the cover really proves that we’re putting our foot on the gas and it’s all systems go.

I have been blown away by the jump up in character models this year. That will also become clear in the coming months.

+ Genomicinsight on July 21st, 2011 at 2:03 pm said:

Is Charles Barkley going to be playable in the game since other players like M.J. and Larry Bird are?

+ Ronnie Singh on July 21st, 2011 at 2:12 pm said:

Look at my answer to Q13 above :-)

+ Kotselas23 on July 21st, 2011 at 2:03 pm said:

Ronnie 2k Are you going to add more classic teams?

+ Ronnie Singh on July 21st, 2011 at 2:13 pm said:

Look at my answer to Q16 above :-)

+ MaluNewYorker on July 21st, 2011 at 2:04 pm said:

how do we know which cover we’re gonna get if we pre-order online?

+ Ronnie Singh on July 21st, 2011 at 2:13 pm said:

This will be addressed shortly.

+ maddenglitch2 on July 21st, 2011 at 2:06 pm said:

Is there going to be a “clutch” feature implemented (similar to what EA is doing for Madden 12′), where each player’s ability can be changed based on how well they played in previous games and which teams and players there going up against?

+ Ronnie Singh on July 21st, 2011 at 2:14 pm said:

We have that a little with NBA Today and our Living Roster features. I imagine there’ll be more news on that in those Insights in the coming months. Stay tuned to http://on.fb.me/NBA2K12 for the latest and greatest.

+ searight-egbo3 on July 21st, 2011 at 2:06 pm said:

Hey Ronnie. You guys did an amazing job and the release wait was worth it. I can’t wait for October 4th to pick out my cover at GameStop! But a few questions. 1. What’s your favorite cover? 2. When is the gameplay, demo, screenshots and etc. coming out? 3. Is there going to be major changes to my player? If you can answer any one of these questions, I would appreciate it.

+ Ronnie Singh on July 21st, 2011 at 2:16 pm said:

I hate to say it, but my favorite cover is the MJ one.
    We have our regular news cycle that’s extremely thought out. I’d imagine it won’t be too different than last year so monitor that schedule.
    My Player is a feature that blows up more and more every year in popularity and depth. I’d imagine this year will be no different.

+ EhudHapoel on July 21st, 2011 at 2:07 pm said:

Covers look great!
When will we get more news?

+ Ronnie Singh on July 21st, 2011 at 2:16 pm said:

Soon precious, soon. Let the cover breathe a little :-)

+ maddenglitch2 on July 21st, 2011 at 2:07 pm said:

Is the dunk contest going to be part of the All-Star weekend in season mode in 2K12?

+ ham1111111111111 on July 21st, 2011 at 2:08 pm said:

i live in Switzerland, so will all the covers come here ?

+ Ronnie Singh on July 21st, 2011 at 2:17 pm said:

Regions are tough for me because they all have different things going on. Let me check, follow up with me on twitter if I don’t get to it in time – http://www.twitter.com/Ronnie2K

+ JoVaN— on July 21st, 2011 at 2:08 pm said:

Are you guys planing anything to keep the players that retire these years in the game like a retirement team or roster? Example i want shaq… So if i want to do a fantasy draft i could get him..

+ Ronnie Singh on July 21st, 2011 at 2:18 pm said:

Check out my answer for Q16.

+ JUMPMAN09 on July 21st, 2011 at 2:09 pm said:

Will the 2000 decade team be on the game? Or at least Allen Iverson?

+ Ronnie Singh on July 21st, 2011 at 2:18 pm said:

Check out my answer for Q24.

+ maddenglitch2 on July 21st, 2011 at 2:09 pm said:

Is there new unique voice over work by the sportscasters for each team? No offense but in 2K11 the same sideline reports came in for every game I played.

+ searight-egbo3 on July 21st, 2011 at 2:09 pm said:

Also, will Charles Barkley be playable?

+ Ronnie Singh on July 21st, 2011 at 2:19 pm said:

Check out my answer for Q25.

+ aF_JasoN on July 21st, 2011 at 2:10 pm said:

they should let you be able to spectate your friends games and are they fixing the spin dunking the back down and just regular spin dunks

+ Ronnie Singh on July 21st, 2011 at 2:20 pm said:

We often get the Spectator mode request. Let’s see if this is expanded on in the coming weeks.

+ nas-traDAMNus on July 21st, 2011 at 2:11 pm said:

Hey Ronnie! Congrats on your new NBA2K12… cant wait to play those… S/O to Jerson as well and all the 2K staff!
Looking forward for new changes in the game for better gaming experience… NBK2K11 was great but with little flaws especially the CPU “RUNS” (8-0 run glitch) i hope u guys fix this AI on 2K12… coz its really annoying and it spoils the gaming experience…

—We will keep on supporting you guys! Great Job! NBA2K ALL DAY! EVERY DAY! \m/,

+ Ronnie Singh on July 21st, 2011 at 2:21 pm said:

I will tell Jers you say hi. Love that guy.

+ aF_JasoN on July 21st, 2011 at 2:11 pm said:

also fix the cpu defense to stop jumping so much.. the pump fake glitchers take advantage to this

+ Dr_Sturz on July 21st, 2011 at 2:11 pm said:

hi ronnie,
3 questions/opinions:
1. i think you should pay more attention to online gaming – presentation isnt as good online, servers could be better, i have to adjust defensive settings and tactics every game (why no save for online settings?)
2. i think 2k was very well balanced, with only one exception: shot release and three pointers in general. in some games i have 1/20 for no reason – even if i have open shots. i think 3 point shooting was balanced better in 2k10, for example hitting a three with ginobili in 2k10 was easy, in 2k11 his release time is strange!
3. will the phoenix suns with majerle, k.j., barkley be playable this year? would be great! and please make shawn kemp look better than last year. :)

and i hope i can contribute to the soundtrack anywhere in the future – i make good music. in the producer contest i couldnt participate because i’m from europe. :(
greetings and thanks for these great nba games!
markus

+ Ronnie Singh on July 21st, 2011 at 2:23 pm said:

You can always submit music to musiclicensing@2k.com. Good luck dude!

I am sure online is about as high a priority as could be. There’ll be more on that as the weeks pass. Will pass your note on about the shooting but make sure you try out 2K12 and give feedback for the patch. And as far as other legendary players, answered it a few times in this chat, check it out.

+ killamj3 on July 21st, 2011 at 2:12 pm said:

Ronnie, any chance of any kind of DLC this year like old school arenas, more shoes, ect?

+ Ronnie Singh on July 21st, 2011 at 2:24 pm said:

Definitely possible. Stay tuned.

+ Dr_Sturz on July 21st, 2011 at 2:12 pm said:

oh, and please no lockout-simulation – i don’t want to play without players! :D

+ Ronnie Singh on July 21st, 2011 at 2:24 pm said:

Addressed the lockout earlier.

+ EhudHapoel on July 21st, 2011 at 2:13 pm said:

One more question, will national teams be available this year? That would be awsome (especially for ‘My Player’ !)

+ Ronnie Singh on July 21st, 2011 at 2:25 pm said:

Addressed the additional teams earlier.

+ jnco4383 on July 21st, 2011 at 2:14 pm said:

It’s going to be really really hard to put down 2k11..this game will have to take it to another level because 2k11 is so good in itself

+ Ronnie Singh on July 21st, 2011 at 2:25 pm said:

Well I promise 2K12 will make you put it down. I thought there was no way I’d say that but it couldn’t be more true.

+ DZORMAGEN on July 21st, 2011 at 2:14 pm said:

Hey Ronnie…..

1st off it was really nice meeting you a couple months ago a E3. I also want to thank you for replying to my e-mails (that is great customer service) I am so happy that 2K has announced 3 of the greatest Legends of All Time.

Here are some questions:

1. Since there are 3 players gracing the cover of the game, will there be a way that 2K has a Collectors Edition this year where all 3 covers can be bought for cheaper. 3 Cases all for $99.99 (add in some other extras too, like a new locker :). I really want to collect them all since I am a huge fan of the NBA2K Franchise.

2. Will new Classic Teams be added? I would love to play with the 2000-2002 Lakers (Kobe and Shaq), against teams like R. Wallace’s Blazers, Reggie Miller’s Pacers, and now retired Yao Ming’s Rockets etc.

I already have this game pre-ordered, and I can’t wait to see what you and 2K has in store for us in the coming weeks! Please have some sort of Collectors Edition!

I will pick up all 3, but in order

1. Magic Johnson – Lakers fan here
2. Micheal Jordan – Greatest of all time
3. Larry Bird – I know he killed the Lakers, bot I was too young to see those games, but I also have HUGE respect for him

+ Ronnie Singh on July 21st, 2011 at 2:27 pm said:

Nice meeting you too buddy! And I don’t mind at all.

I would love to see a Collector’s Edition (really thought we should have had one last year) but nothing to announce there at this time. Not sure what the plan is there!

Answered the Classic Teams thing a few times, check it out.

The Larry cover is pretty sick too.

+ DZORMAGEN on July 21st, 2011 at 2:14 pm said:

P.S. Good to see you back on the PlayStation BLOG! :)

+ iClutch23 on July 21st, 2011 at 2:16 pm said:

Is NBA 2K12 going to have MVP chants on the road and the MVP chants shouldn’t sound like a choir group it should be like 20 different voice screaming MVP MVP MVP!

+ maddenglitch2 on July 21st, 2011 at 2:17 pm said:

Are you guys bringing new Michael Jordan Moments? Which brings another question to light—- Are you going to be doing this with the other NBA 2k12 cover players?

+ Ronnie Singh on July 21st, 2011 at 2:29 pm said:

Answered in Q8 :-)

+ Kotselas23 on July 21st, 2011 at 2:17 pm said:

Thanks for the answer men thank god someone is answering :-) and one more when we are going to see gameplay for nba 2k12…………and i saw some little details on the pic with and i was really excited about these little touches that the game needed to be perfect……..

+ Ronnie Singh on July 21st, 2011 at 2:30 pm said:

Doesn’t make sense to have gameplay this early. Let that cover breathe. We have our very well thought our PR schedule. Gameplay will be here before you know it.

+ DZORMAGEN on July 21st, 2011 at 2:17 pm said:

I shoot forgot to mention. I hope 2K adds a on-line room where you can only pick Classic teams to battle people against the world!! That would be amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I know a lot of if not 90% will pick the Bulls, but I will take them with my man Magic “Showtime” Johnson! :)

+ Ronnie Singh on July 21st, 2011 at 2:30 pm said:

Addressed this earlier.

+ searight-egbo3 on July 21st, 2011 at 2:18 pm said:

Thanks for answering Ronnie. I appreciate it.

+ NowAndLaterCARZ on July 21st, 2011 at 2:18 pm said:

Hey Ronnie, any new team-up/my crew features?

+ stokesjames12 on July 21st, 2011 at 2:18 pm said:

Hey are these Covers only for PS3

+ Ronnie Singh on July 21st, 2011 at 2:32 pm said:

No. But this is the Sony Blog!

+ iClutch23 on July 21st, 2011 at 2:18 pm said:

In NBA 2K12 is there going to be an All-star Weekend or are we going to be in that ridiculous so called park? And if yes there should be a skills challenge, harier shooting, horse, dunk off, 3 point shootout, celebritry game and the all star game. And this should be included in My Player Mode.

+ JUMPMAN09 on July 21st, 2011 at 2:20 pm said:

will you be able to play your friends in ranked matches?

+ maddenglitch2 on July 21st, 2011 at 2:20 pm said:

Is the crowd this time about going to be more realistic? What i mean by this are they going to react to things like how they should? In NBA 2k11 it seemed like they were cheering and out of their seats for every dunk, no matter if it was the away team.

Are they going to holler MVP for MVP candidates?
Are they going to shut up when their player gets posterized?
Are they going to go nuts when they go on a 20-0 run?
Are they going to “boooooo” the Miami Heat? Espicially if its at Cleveland?

Sorry for all the question, but thanks for being patient! I love the game! Can’t wait for 2K12.

+ Ronnie Singh on July 21st, 2011 at 2:44 pm said:

I understand the enthusiasm. I definitely think it’s going to be one of the things they’re looking to improve upon. The Insights are going to break down the exact specific so stay tuned for them.

+ iClutch23 on July 21st, 2011 at 2:21 pm said:

NBA 2K12 Needs REAL COURTS!!! in NBA 2K11 i’m not going to lie, but every single court was wrong. Starting from the lightning in the crowd, the highlights on the floor, the name of the courts on the courts, the colours EVERYTHING! please fix that in NBA 2K12.

+ Ronnie Singh on July 21st, 2011 at 2:45 pm said:

We grab the courts straight from the stadium guidelines. I’d appreciate more specifics as that’s a detail we get recognized for being so spot on with.

+ SHERiFF_WE on July 21st, 2011 at 2:22 pm said:

Why couldn’t all 3 legends be on the same cover?

+ Ronnie Singh on July 21st, 2011 at 2:45 pm said:

You’ll see why shortly :-)

+ Ronnie Singh on July 21st, 2011 at 2:46 pm said:

Also, I mean there are some people that get upset having rivals on the same cover. You may appreciate Magic as a Lakers fan but then you probably weren’t so thrilled about Larry on the Celts. So that all was considered as well.

+ searight-egbo3 on July 21st, 2011 at 2:22 pm said:

Oh. Can you add in the last name Searight (See-right) or is it too late and I’ll need to wait for next year?

+ Ronnie Singh on July 21st, 2011 at 2:47 pm said:

Too late for 2K12 unfortunately. I am actually looking at a way for people to submit this in an easier way socially so stay tuned to our Facebook page.

PAGE 1 2 3