PS4 - Destiny

Sideway: New York Gets First Trailer, Hands-on at Comic-Con

Scott Simpson's Avatar + Posted by Scott Simpson on Jul 22, 2011 // Studio Director, Playbrains

Oh dear, sweet PlayStation.Blog, how I have missed you. When we were last snuggling under the covers in the fall, I was announcing Sideway, our upcoming action platformer based on the in-development cartoon series from the wonderfully twisted minds at Fuel Entertainment. I then spent hours (which turned into days) hanging out in the comments section, waiting for somebody to ask me about my dogs or that time I met Kris Kristofferson.

But no. No, all you wanted to talk about was the game.

And what a game it has turned out to be! If you don’t believe me, CRAM THESE INTO YOUR EYEBALLS and I dare you to tell me I am wrong!

Sideway: New York for PS3 (PSN)

Sideway: New York for PS3 (PSN)Sideway: New York for PS3 (PSN)

Sideway: New York for PS3 (PSN)Sideway: New York for PS3 (PSN)

Oh, did the screenshots convey that we have hours of mindbending levels full of danger and challenge that will make the paint run from your veins? Or that we support drop-in, drop-out couch co-op so you can play with your friends or that the bosses in the game are unlike any you’ve come across in your gaming life before?

Did the shots at least convey the basic conceit of the game: that you painted over the wrong dude’s tag, and that you, in fact, are now a moving 2D painting in a 3D world?

Regardless, if you’re interested in seeing what all of the above is really like, we’re juuuust putting the finishing touches on a demo for Comic-Con this week in San Diego. Oh yes, my friends, that’s right—when you come by Sony Online Entertainment at the Con (Booth #4436), not only can you check out the awesomeness that is Sideway, but you can also win some cool Skullcandy headphones and earbuds when you come by and play the game. Perhaps most importantly, as a bonus, you’ll get to hear me kvetch about the heat and how much more crowded and sweaty Comic-Con gets every year and that Patton Oswalt really should be the next Robin.

“But whoa there, champ…What about me? I’m not going to be in San Diego this week. How do *I* get to experience this magic of which you speak?”

I am glad you asked, friend. Because if you read the headline at the very top of this blog post, you will learn that immediately following it is the Earth’s very first look at the teaser trailer for “Sideway”. See? Reading can be fundamental *and* rewarding.

Hope that wets yer whistles, folks! You can come by and play it with us this week at the Con!

As always, you can always follow us at Twitter.com/Playbrains to get development updates and upcoming giveaways as we get ever-so-closer to the release of the greatest action platformer…of all time…

PAGE 1 2

+ lisatsunami on July 22nd, 2011 at 10:02 am said:

Ok, I’ll bite: tell me about your dogs.

+ Scott Simpson on July 22nd, 2011 at 10:08 am said:

My dogs are already barkin’ working the Comic Con booth.

+ Neil on July 22nd, 2011 at 10:09 am said:

Idea is cool, gameplay looks fun but the art style makes it look like a cheap flash game.

+ Scott Simpson on July 22nd, 2011 at 10:14 am said:

When I first met you, Neil (halfway through your first sentence), I thought we could be good friends. But lately (after the second half of your sentence), you’ve *changed*, man. What happened, man? You used to be so cool…

+ ScubaOwl on July 22nd, 2011 at 10:13 am said:

Fez: New York.

And yeah, the art style looks cheap.

+ Scott Simpson on July 22nd, 2011 at 10:15 am said:

Are you saying it can’t be a great game?

+ Scott Simpson on July 22nd, 2011 at 10:13 am said:

+ Scott Simpson on July 22nd, 2011 at 10:17 am said:

I totally know how to use the Internet. See comment #2…

+ ScubaOwl on July 22nd, 2011 at 10:14 am said:

Sorry, Scott. I’m not saying it can’t be a great game!

+ Scott Simpson on July 22nd, 2011 at 10:16 am said:

Oh, okay.

(Do you see what I did there? Ha!)

+ Anddo on July 22nd, 2011 at 10:16 am said:

Very interesting concept. I have no qualms with the style. It suits the game.

+ Scott Simpson on July 22nd, 2011 at 10:19 am said:

Thank you, Anddo, you classy and sophisticated individual.

The art style is based on the upcoming cartoon series, BTW…

+ ScubaOwl on July 22nd, 2011 at 10:23 am said:

That was tricksy :)

+ Scott Simpson on July 22nd, 2011 at 10:26 am said:

Fun fact: “Tricksy” is not my middle name.

+ lisatsunami on July 22nd, 2011 at 10:24 am said:

Scott, for some reason , half the videos on the blog won’t play on my iPADD, so can’t watch yours right now. Good luck & best wishes @ CCon.

+ Scott Simpson on July 22nd, 2011 at 10:27 am said:

That’s just to build suspense.

(or yeah, I’ll look into that…)

+ spoonTRex on July 22nd, 2011 at 10:24 am said:

Whoa! I’m sold. That looks amazing. Everything, including the style. Day one purchase. How many hours are you looking at trying to hit and how much?

And Scott, while no offense is intended to other developers that post on here, just seeing how peppered this comment section already is by your replies marks you down as one of the coolest developers that’s posted on here.

+ Scott Simpson on July 22nd, 2011 at 10:29 am said:

Sweet! Dunno if SOE has set price, but $9.99 sounds fair to me (a bargain at twice the price!)

Hours depends on how much you suck at platformers, I guess…

+ DZORMAGEN on July 22nd, 2011 at 10:26 am said:

Scott Simpson WELCOME BACK to the BLOG! :)

I remember last post you were not only funny, but you answered everyone’s question! Even if it wasn’t a question about the game, LOL. Now that Comic-Con is here, and I know more about this game seeing trailers on YouTube, IGN, and now here, you can color me excited, or spray-paint me excited! :)

Few questions:

1. Confirm or Deny: This game will sell for a low price of $9.99? If Not will Plus Members get a Discount on Day 1? The only reason I am asking about the $9.99 price is because I read on IGN that it will go for $9.99!

2. Around when can we expect this game? I really hope soon, Cause I want to play this beautiful looking game

3. Since NEW York is the setting for this game, will we see my hometown Los Angeles next? Please say yes :)

Thanks and I am now following you guys on Twitter, and will be looking forward to this game! This game is on top of my PSN list of games!

+ Scott Simpson on July 22nd, 2011 at 10:35 am said:

Yes, I am glad they took that chest of drawers off me so I could get out of the house and make it to Comic Con. Thanks for welcoming me back!

Best I know is:
    1. Probably $9.99, but i don’t know if that’s official, so…”pseudo-confirm”?
    2. You can expect it WHEN WE’RE DAMN GOOD AND READY (“late Summer”).
    3. No, Then you’d stop after two games.

<– SMRT

+ Falaut on July 22nd, 2011 at 10:33 am said:

I started watching the promo and five seconds in my mouth was just hanging open in awe. This is quite a feat as I consider myself a pretty jaded gamer. Really neat game!

Cross platform play with PSV? Do it! :)

Cheers

+ Scott Simpson on July 22nd, 2011 at 10:36 am said:

A) watch out for flies.
    B) possible future play, but not just yet…

+ Gogo_ZvC on July 22nd, 2011 at 10:34 am said:

Take my money.

+ Scott Simpson on July 22nd, 2011 at 10:38 am said:

I think you just made me a prostitute.

…or, at least, a “classy escort”.

+ DZORMAGEN on July 22nd, 2011 at 10:40 am said:

Hey there me again…. I would love to see you guys maybe selling some [DELETED] or some really cool and colorful looking posters!
Let us know when those go on SALE!

1 more thing to add, if the games plays as good as it looks, the game get a 10/10 from me! Early review is in!

+ Scott Simpson on July 22nd, 2011 at 11:27 am said:

DELETED POSTERS WOULD BE AWESOME!

+ DZORMAGEN on July 22nd, 2011 at 10:41 am said:

LOL why are post comment post being moderated?

+ Scott Simpson on July 22nd, 2011 at 10:45 am said:

Clearly because you are an instigator.

(or maybe that’s just “DZOR being DZOR”?)

+ Shin-Ra on July 22nd, 2011 at 10:43 am said:

I like the art style but it’s really lacking in the tech/polish department judging by the trailer and screens.

Iffy framerate, no anti-aliasing, low-res baked-in shadows and I’m guessing it’s the texture filtering method used making that angled wall look especially blurry off into the distance in the first shot.

+ Scott Simpson on July 22nd, 2011 at 10:46 am said:

We’ll see how it turns out. We’re in SuperPolish3000(tm) mode right now.

*cries

+ guitarded77 on July 22nd, 2011 at 10:47 am said:

The first 3D/2D transition freaked me out… my eyes were like WTF?!?! Can’t wait to try this game out.

+ Scott Simpson on July 22nd, 2011 at 10:54 am said:

Fun fact: this game will be Rated L for “LSD-like side effects”

+ DZORMAGEN on July 22nd, 2011 at 10:50 am said:

Don’t listen to haters….

If the game plays as good as it looks the game is a 10/10…There is my early review! And the 1st review of the game!

Please tell me there will be shirts, and cool looking posters.

I think why I was being moderated, I spelled Shirts WRONG, and left out 1 letter (r), that made it…..

+ Scott Simpson on July 22nd, 2011 at 10:56 am said:

…that made it a brown, nutty shirt. Makes sense.

And I’m not hatin’ the haters. The game won’t be for everyone, and we think we have a really cool game, so that’s all that matters to us.

Well, except for the money and chicks.

+ nYcFrEeWiLL82 on July 22nd, 2011 at 10:50 am said:

This games looks good..just gotta say if its more than $10 there better be online co-op..im not too fond of the couch co-op for my friends dont know how to leave my apt at an appropriate time >:/ I was kind hoping this game would be about you stomp or spray paint- or whatever harmful fluids that fit in a spray can – your enemies in a 3d world..with a 3d character..*hint for a new game ;) ..but i guess running on walls and roof tops is fine…cant wait to get more info about this game.

+ Scott Simpson on July 22nd, 2011 at 11:00 am said:

If the game is over $10, I’ll eat…something less-than-enjoyable.

No online co-op this time, but I’m scribbling notes for a sequel AND THEN WILL TOTALLY TAKE CREDIT FOR IT LATER…

Hey, how about an Easter egg that turns the soundtrack to polka music? That ought chase them out of your flat…

+ ScubaOwl on July 22nd, 2011 at 10:51 am said:

Scott, you are awesome for dealing with snarky fanboy criticism with humor and grace, seriously. Now if you discount this game for Plus members you’ll be even awesomer!

+ Scott Simpson on July 22nd, 2011 at 11:03 am said:

That’s up to SOE to discount. Hey, I’m a Plus member, too, so I’m sure the discount for me will make up for lost revenue.

Hey, wait a minute…

+ DZORMAGEN on July 22nd, 2011 at 10:53 am said:

Wow is there an edit button, I need to re-read my post: Let me try again

What I meant to say in comment 18 is:

Will you guys be selling shirts, and posters for this game? I love the art style and colors

*I think I know why I was being moderated… I spelled Shirts WRONG, and left out 1 letter (r), that made it…..

+ Scott Simpson on July 22nd, 2011 at 11:05 am said:

There is a potential plan in place for all kinds of crap (er…”collectibles and merchant”), some of it maybe even free around launch time…

BUT YOU DIDN’T HEAR IT FROM ME…

(especially since nothing is confirmed, yet)

+ Kirkpad on July 22nd, 2011 at 10:54 am said:

I had been waiting for details on this game FOREVER. So much so, that I scoped the W!ldbrain website and found a description of the gameplay. I already knew it was going to be awesome. I just wasn’t exactly sure what it would look like until now.

+ Scott Simpson on July 22nd, 2011 at 11:08 am said:

Well, we’re here to help (mostly), I swear…

Come on by twitter.com/Playbrains and you’ll never miss another update…probably.

+ Surfaced on July 22nd, 2011 at 11:06 am said:

Umm… You guys should try implementing some anti-aliasing.

Just sayin’..

+ Scott Simpson on July 22nd, 2011 at 11:09 am said:

The problem is, I’m a *big* Jennifer Garner fan, so I am decidedly pro-”Alias”.

+ Surfaced on July 22nd, 2011 at 11:07 am said:

Also please try to improve the framerate… I’ve been looking forward info on this game and I’d hate to see it fail critically.

+ Scott Simpson on July 22nd, 2011 at 11:13 am said:

Framerate will definitely be solid. We’re still working’ on it, sir!

+ DZORMAGEN on July 22nd, 2011 at 11:16 am said:

I know there will be a Sideway 2, have in in Los Angeles! There are lot of spray paint graffiti all over Los Angeles, Hollywood would also be a cool level too! MAKE IT HAPPEN!!

+ Scott Simpson on July 22nd, 2011 at 11:19 am said:

Maybe Sideway 2 is a municipal worker who jumps around the city cleaning up the graffiti from Sideway 1…

SWEET, MERCIFUL CRAP, I JUST BLEW MY MIND…

+ nYcFrEeWiLL82 on July 22nd, 2011 at 11:20 am said:

LOL..I WILL BE WAITING FOR LADY GAGA TO HAND ME MY CHECK AS SOON AS THE SEQUEL GETS A BLUEPRINT…:P

+ Scott Simpson on July 22nd, 2011 at 11:23 am said:

The only problem will be accessing Gaga’s cheque, as it will be wrapped in latex, chrome and spikes.

+ UnRealistic_Hero on July 22nd, 2011 at 11:31 am said:

This game looks interesting and fun, I’ll be kind enough to add the 9.99-14.99 (Possibly) to the hundreds of dollars I’m going to spend on videogames this year! :)

+ Scott Simpson on July 22nd, 2011 at 11:36 am said:

We are happy to be 2-3% of your entertainment budget!

+ NightHawk17 on July 22nd, 2011 at 11:34 am said:

Looks great, Day 1 for me.

+ Scott Simpson on July 22nd, 2011 at 11:39 am said:

I advise you to take Day 2 off TO RECOVER FROM THE INITIAL AWESOME…

+ ItsNymo on July 22nd, 2011 at 11:39 am said:

Loving what I see already! My eyes burn with awesomeness!
Also, I, for one, really enjoy the art style and as a cartoon-nut, I look forward to the upcoming series! (when and where will it air, if i may ask?)
I want to see MOOOAAARRR!!! (lucky comic-con attendees…)

+ Scott Simpson on July 22nd, 2011 at 11:52 am said:

Rawk on the eye burn!

MOOOOAAARRRR is coming!

Cartoon series TBA from Fuel and W!ldbrain, but check out Sidewaythegame.com for news on the series as well…

+ LUCKY-X-S7LEVEN on July 22nd, 2011 at 11:49 am said:

man, it looks freaking cool . Quick question ; can you customize your character as you level up or is it all just rank based.
p/s Props in creating a fresh new platformer

+ Scott Simpson on July 22nd, 2011 at 11:57 am said:

No customization as we’re using toons from the series, but I think in the sequel, we’ll have lots of that…

Thanks for the Props!

+ Neil on July 22nd, 2011 at 11:50 am said:

Okay I will buy this game just because of your dedication to reply to everybody’s comments.

+ Scott Simpson on July 22nd, 2011 at 11:59 am said:

…and then I loved Neil again. It’s just like old times!

+ Heavenly_king on July 22nd, 2011 at 12:00 pm said:

searching for secret things will be as hard as hell. :(

+ Scott Simpson on July 22nd, 2011 at 12:03 pm said:

Fun fact: all of our level designers are named “Waldo”. They’re wicked good at hiding stuff.

+ Airwalkinman17 on July 22nd, 2011 at 12:27 pm said:

I just don’t get it! KIDS THESE DAYS pft!!!

Whats up with the first few comments? Are they not seeing the same trailer I just saw? That was totally bad ass. The art style and concept looks SO amazing. I’ve never seen anything quite like that. I just wanted to make sure that these fellow psn’ers have had their eyes and brains checked recently. A cheap FLASH game? WTH! SMH… seriously. face palm x10…

Anyway, can’t wait to see more. Until next time :D
Keep it up Scott.

+ Scott Simpson on July 22nd, 2011 at 12:30 pm said:

It’s all goog in the neighbourhood, my friend.

Thanks for the facepalmy support!

+ Frejim on July 22nd, 2011 at 12:27 pm said:

Looks great!

any demo coming soon?

PS: it’s great you are replying to everybody here!

+ Scott Simpson on July 22nd, 2011 at 12:32 pm said:

Quick, fly to San Diego!

We’re demo’ing all weekend at ComicCon, which coincidentally gives me lots of time to write replies to comments…

+ boxmyth on July 22nd, 2011 at 12:40 pm said:

Now on my radar. Love good 2D platformers.
Would like to maybe see Sideway: Athens BC. They had graffiti back then too.

+ Scott Simpson on July 22nd, 2011 at 12:53 pm said:

The problem with the ancient Greece platformer is that togas lift with the wind when you’re jumping around, and we don’t want an M rating…

+ DZORMAGEN on July 22nd, 2011 at 12:41 pm said:

If I drive to San Diego right now will you get me into Comic Con? I will come on Sunday!

+ Scott Simpson on July 22nd, 2011 at 1:12 pm said:

I think Sunday is an open day? Don’t know if you need a pass Sunday.

Otherwise, passes go for a carton of smokes around here. Just like prison.

+ Magicman354_ on July 22nd, 2011 at 12:44 pm said:

Scott Simpson, you are the man. I wish all developers answered comments like this xD.

+ Scott Simpson on July 22nd, 2011 at 1:13 pm said:

I am not *the* man. I am merely *a* man.

A manly, manly man…

+ Shinra_Soilder on July 22nd, 2011 at 12:55 pm said:

It’s been a while since I’ve heard about this game. Glad to hear it’s coming soon.
Those unnatural rabbits will taint the streets with pink fear. ^_^

+ Scott Simpson on July 22nd, 2011 at 1:15 pm said:

“unnatural pink rabbits tainting the streets with pink fear” needs to go into the marketing mats, stat!

+ BrianMcGuinness on July 22nd, 2011 at 1:45 pm said:

Looks awesome. Kinda reminds me of Crush on the PSP (in a good way). Can’t wait.

+ Scott Simpson on July 22nd, 2011 at 2:30 pm said:

Rawk! Crush is awesome– I know what you mean!

+ lisatsunami on July 22nd, 2011 at 1:53 pm said:

Ok, Scott, I came home & switched to wi-fi (shakes fist @ ATT 3G) & watched your trailer.
Looks great & fun. Loved all the girly pinks & purples which are shamefully absent in Playstation. Hope you sell like hotcakes.

+ Scott Simpson on July 22nd, 2011 at 2:31 pm said:

Like delicious, girly hotcakes.

Mmmm…..girlicious! (grillicious?)

+ Drtee18 on July 22nd, 2011 at 1:58 pm said:

I actually thought this was a Parkour game when it was announced but its totally mind blowing. I can see why you guys been patient and so quiet, the game looks amazing and I can’t wait to play it when it arrives

p.s. I think would be fabulous on the Vita with all its great control schemes. Especially the gyro’s and back Touch Pad.

+ Scott Simpson on July 22nd, 2011 at 2:32 pm said:

Thanks– glad you have grey matter on your ceiling.

We’re looking into Vita as we speak…

+ thundercat17 on July 22nd, 2011 at 2:18 pm said:

that looks fun, too bad i dont like games that gives me motion sickness

+ Scott Simpson on July 22nd, 2011 at 2:33 pm said:

I knew webshould have gone with that Gravol tie-in promotion, dammit!

+ KillerOttsel on July 22nd, 2011 at 2:18 pm said:

This game looks insane!

+ Scott Simpson on July 22nd, 2011 at 2:34 pm said:

Insane in the membrane, Killer!

+ Capshot18 on July 22nd, 2011 at 2:40 pm said:

I’ve been excited for this ever since I saw the weird Bunny-Vomiting-Other-Bunnies-Thing in October. And, if this were on Vita, I’d buy it a second time, it looks that awesome.
Also, any news on a vague release date? Fall, end of summer, winter, 2012, last year?

+ Scott Simpson on July 22nd, 2011 at 3:11 pm said:

Awesome. “late Summer, 2011″ is now your fifth favourite date of the year, my friend…

+ snake4308 on July 22nd, 2011 at 2:51 pm said:

trying to reply to every comment again like last time, I see…Muahahahaha.

+ Scott Simpson on July 22nd, 2011 at 3:12 pm said:

Uh oh. He’s figured it out!

I’m gonna be posting cookie recipes at 5am again, aren’t I?

+ Sharingan_itachi on July 22nd, 2011 at 3:01 pm said:

MIND BLOWING 2.5D o:

+ Scott Simpson on July 22nd, 2011 at 3:14 pm said:

2.515D in Canada, eh?

+ marlyt on July 22nd, 2011 at 3:03 pm said:

Scott,

How are your dogs NOW? I know you were suffering earlier. It looks like the little dude in the trailer had some kind of special powers to turn into a ball of flames or something else red. Correct me if I’m wrong please. Does little dude have some kind of super powers? Is there a cool backstory or straight narrative that goes with these powers (if he has any)? I’m assuming that because there’s a show coming there is. You have me intrigued, sir.

+ Scott Simpson on July 22nd, 2011 at 3:17 pm said:

Yes and sorta and yes. It all makes game sense, but the real canon will be the show.

My dogs became rabid wolves two hours ago.

Being a Booth Babe is tough. Especially wearing all this Lycra.

+ marlyt on July 22nd, 2011 at 3:08 pm said:

Ok I just watched it again on a larger screen and that dude is a 2D cutout-like object flowing over 3D space…Feaking Awesome!!! It like Jake the American Dragon w/soulpatch meets Echochrome with a pair of steel shiny balls. SOLD!!! And he did turn into a red ball of something while wall running. What’s the scoop on that?

+ Scott Simpson on July 22nd, 2011 at 3:17 pm said:

We call it The Mist Jump…BUT I’VE SAID TOO MUCH ALREADY…

+ darkwing75 on July 22nd, 2011 at 3:08 pm said:

This is Day 1 to me, my jaw just dropped

+ Scott Simpson on July 22nd, 2011 at 3:28 pm said:

I thought I heard a thud.

In related news, each reply I leave drops the rating of this page, like, 0.05 or something.

I believe the site thinks we’re in a flame war.

So yeah, let’s get some controversy going…DEATH TO THE SUN!

+ Imtey on July 22nd, 2011 at 3:33 pm said:

Ahhaahahahaah, you’re that legendary guy that replies to every comment! I love it!

You’re gonna reply to me now aren’t you?

Anyways, do you read NeoGAF? It’s pretty ballin’ mang

+ Scott Simpson on July 22nd, 2011 at 3:39 pm said:

Depends– does this count as a reply?

+ Sakimori_X on July 22nd, 2011 at 3:35 pm said:

ZOMG, this looks AMAZING! I love the concept. I love the art style. I love the music. And I love the overall attitude of the whole package. Can’t wait to play this. It looks like a mind-bender indeed. Great job, guys!

+ Scott Simpson on July 22nd, 2011 at 3:42 pm said:

Awww, shucks.

Thanks, Saki. We’re real proud of it.

PAGE 1 2