PS4 - The Last of Us Remastered

Sideway: New York Gets First Trailer, Hands-on at Comic-Con

Scott Simpson's Avatar + Posted by Scott Simpson on Jul 22, 2011 // Studio Director, Playbrains

Oh dear, sweet PlayStation.Blog, how I have missed you. When we were last snuggling under the covers in the fall, I was announcing Sideway, our upcoming action platformer based on the in-development cartoon series from the wonderfully twisted minds at Fuel Entertainment. I then spent hours (which turned into days) hanging out in the comments section, waiting for somebody to ask me about my dogs or that time I met Kris Kristofferson.

But no. No, all you wanted to talk about was the game.

And what a game it has turned out to be! If you don’t believe me, CRAM THESE INTO YOUR EYEBALLS and I dare you to tell me I am wrong!

Sideway: New York for PS3 (PSN)

Sideway: New York for PS3 (PSN)Sideway: New York for PS3 (PSN)

Sideway: New York for PS3 (PSN)Sideway: New York for PS3 (PSN)

Oh, did the screenshots convey that we have hours of mindbending levels full of danger and challenge that will make the paint run from your veins? Or that we support drop-in, drop-out couch co-op so you can play with your friends or that the bosses in the game are unlike any you’ve come across in your gaming life before?

Did the shots at least convey the basic conceit of the game: that you painted over the wrong dude’s tag, and that you, in fact, are now a moving 2D painting in a 3D world?

Regardless, if you’re interested in seeing what all of the above is really like, we’re juuuust putting the finishing touches on a demo for Comic-Con this week in San Diego. Oh yes, my friends, that’s right—when you come by Sony Online Entertainment at the Con (Booth #4436), not only can you check out the awesomeness that is Sideway, but you can also win some cool Skullcandy headphones and earbuds when you come by and play the game. Perhaps most importantly, as a bonus, you’ll get to hear me kvetch about the heat and how much more crowded and sweaty Comic-Con gets every year and that Patton Oswalt really should be the next Robin.

“But whoa there, champ…What about me? I’m not going to be in San Diego this week. How do *I* get to experience this magic of which you speak?”

I am glad you asked, friend. Because if you read the headline at the very top of this blog post, you will learn that immediately following it is the Earth’s very first look at the teaser trailer for “Sideway”. See? Reading can be fundamental *and* rewarding.

Hope that wets yer whistles, folks! You can come by and play it with us this week at the Con!

As always, you can always follow us at Twitter.com/Playbrains to get development updates and upcoming giveaways as we get ever-so-closer to the release of the greatest action platformer…of all time…

PAGE 1 2

+ Scott Simpson on July 22nd, 2011 at 3:41 pm said:

Awww, shucks.

Thanks, Saki. We’re real proud of it.

+ red1233 on July 22nd, 2011 at 4:07 pm said:

If this hilarious dev replies to my comment i would die and go to heaven on earth. lol looks awesome is there any local co-op?

+ Scott Simpson on July 22nd, 2011 at 4:29 pm said:

I hesitate to even say this, as it will apparently cause your heart to explode, but yep, 2-player drop-in, drop-out couch co-op…

+ DZORMAGEN on July 22nd, 2011 at 4:16 pm said:

@52 red1233

I bet you a million dollars he replies to you!!! Come on Scott Simpson reply to him and I will buy everyone Sideway on PSN! :)

+ Scott Simpson on July 22nd, 2011 at 4:30 pm said:

Done and done.

I just killed a guy…

+ DZORMAGEN on July 22nd, 2011 at 4:44 pm said:

LMAOOOOOOOOOOO This guy is too funny!!!!

+ Scott Simpson on July 22nd, 2011 at 4:49 pm said:

…but looks aren’t everything, sir…

+ mclovinrocks on July 22nd, 2011 at 4:50 pm said:

AWSOME THANKS A BUNCH CAN’T WAIT TELL THIS COMES OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

+ Scott Simpson on July 22nd, 2011 at 5:32 pm said:

NO PROBLEM! WE’RE STOKED, TOO!!!!

+ DwightSchrute12 on July 22nd, 2011 at 5:33 pm said:

Mmmm…this game looks just as good as fresh bacon. But can it be better?

+ Scott Simpson on July 22nd, 2011 at 5:50 pm said:

Only better as the best appetizer ever: bacon-wrapped bacon…

+ TorgoTime on July 22nd, 2011 at 5:56 pm said:

Would you eat a corn dog dipped in chocolate and sprinkles? your answer to this question determines whether I buy this game or not.

+ Scott Simpson on July 22nd, 2011 at 6:16 pm said:

Why yes…yes, I would!

I should note, however, that I will eat the choco/sprinkles first, then get doggin’ it…

Deal?

+ ModernYorkster on July 22nd, 2011 at 6:09 pm said:

Scott, I’ve got afew questions.

1. Online Multiplayer?
2. Voice Chat?
3. PlayStation Network Exclusive?
4. Demo

and just a small heads up, love the game style. I’m a huge supported of PSN, Mini games. Day one purchase!

+ Scott Simpson on July 22nd, 2011 at 6:34 pm said:

Yorkie!

1. Newp. Couch co-op only
    2. Nosir, but “Payday” does.
    3. Kinda. PSN and PC (Steam) only.
    4. There will be a trial…THAT WILL TOTALLY SUCK YOU IN…

+ marlyt on July 22nd, 2011 at 6:12 pm said:

Scott, you rule. I agree DEATH TO THE SUNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

+ Scott Simpson on July 22nd, 2011 at 6:36 pm said:

“Ever since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the Sun…”

+ lisatsunami on July 22nd, 2011 at 7:14 pm said:

I just deleted a could be rude question about the smells of CCon. I’ll save that question for a buddy who’s going on Sunday.

How’s it going for you there? Any fun news, rumors, gossip? Anybody get stabbed in the eye yet?

I just hit 5 blocks but it didn’t seem to help much, sorry.

+ Scott Simpson on July 22nd, 2011 at 8:36 pm said:

The smells were, as always, legendary.

It was a long day of being a booth babe. Not a lot of gossip, but Conan came by with The Flaming C, and I think I saw him use his jai-alai thinger to kill a guy on his way to the signing. You know, by stabbing him in the eye…

+ SHINSPIKES on July 22nd, 2011 at 8:12 pm said:

You are crazy Scott. Very inventive and very different, this game is sic. You guys are so out of the box. You like tacos?

+ Scott Simpson on July 22nd, 2011 at 8:37 pm said:

What will blow your mind, is that I LIKE MY TACOS INSIDE A BOX….

+ red1233 on July 22nd, 2011 at 8:39 pm said:

@DZORMAGEN you’re right yes I know if this guy did stand up you might want to get protection for your spleen.

And I’m still alive so it’s all good I’m on the verge of bursting though:)

+ Scott Simpson on July 22nd, 2011 at 9:32 pm said:

Damn, I’ve been bragging about killing a guy WITH MY MIND.

Really, I am glad you’re alive, but at the same time…I’m kind of disappointed, you know?

+ lisatsunami on July 22nd, 2011 at 9:07 pm said:

Ok, you win. Even though I’m one of those who suck @ platformers, I’ll buy your game. Indie devs like you deserve our support. Have a great weekend!

+ Scott Simpson on July 22nd, 2011 at 9:33 pm said:

With that comment, how could I not???

+ Map209 on July 23rd, 2011 at 12:21 am said:

You reply to everyones comment! I never had a dev reply to my comment. (Probably because this like my fifth time posting on the blog)
So in hopes that you reply to my comment as well, here is my statement towards you sir *drumroll……………………………………
Hi!!

+ Scott Simpson on July 23rd, 2011 at 2:01 am said:

O HAI!

Yep, juuust making sure all the pertinent info gets out there…

+ Tasteemobile on July 23rd, 2011 at 6:58 am said:

1. Your moving picture show seems to have persuaded me to hand over my hard earned moneys.

2. Have you ever dreamed of riding a black unicorn down the side of an erupting volcano while drinking from a chalice filled with the laughter of small children?

+ Scott Simpson on July 23rd, 2011 at 8:46 am said:

1. It’s because it was a “talkie”, right? Because the moving pictures also had sound? I knew it.

2. You’re never going to believe this, but last night I dreamed of riding a black Schwinn bicycle down Volcano Street drinking a Junior-sized Chuckle shake.

That’s quite the coincidence (note: if I were a sportscaster, I would have called it “ironic”).

+ mcbuttz78 on July 23rd, 2011 at 12:15 pm said:

your forgetting the golden rule scott. Tell everyone to rate this a 5..Which mean we love the product and its hand shake approval. a dn 1 is liek the finger ..

But enough of my psn blog political yapping.. . You made a great . i know it will sell very well for you.:)

mcbuttz78
psn legioniarre group.

+ Scott Simpson on July 23rd, 2011 at 1:25 pm said:

I may be a comment escort, but I am no rating whore…

+ devilmosh on July 23rd, 2011 at 1:37 pm said:

Great concept and style! I’m stoked! If I’m in the bathroom when it comes out, just throw something at the door and I’ll be right there (don’t come too close).

+ Scott Simpson on July 23rd, 2011 at 1:47 pm said:

We promise to not release within two days of you having Thai food…

+ WelmoscaBR on July 23rd, 2011 at 2:34 pm said:

this idea is freakin impressive and awesome…dear God I’ll get this game for sure.

+ Scott Simpson on July 24th, 2011 at 12:37 am said:

God: “Good deal. You may now enter the Pearly Gates, regardless of prior transgressions…”

+ DarthDanMan on July 23rd, 2011 at 6:44 pm said:

Its awesome how your replying to everyone so I decided to follow you on Twitter. Also I’ve been looking forward to this game since last fall. :-)

+ Scott Simpson on July 24th, 2011 at 12:38 am said:

Good, and good. And hey, let’s not make me Mr. Awesome– I am just doing what is right. It was a good break between booth babe duties on the show floor at Comic Con and something to do while waiting in line for a drink at the after parties. WIN-WIN, as they say…

+ XFRod on July 24th, 2011 at 12:49 am said:

“Help Me Make It Through the Night” ? Really ?!? That Kris Kristofferson ???? Damn, I think we just dated ourselves, dude.

+ Scott Simpson on July 24th, 2011 at 12:56 am said:

First of all, I met him really post-music career (which doesn’t help the “dating ourselves thing”.

Secondly, it was awesome– he willingly high-fived me at a Toronto International Film Festival screening of this weirdo movie called “The Life and Hard Times of Guy Terrifico”.

I know dude punches people in the pancreas for basically no reason, so I was more than a little intimidated by the fist movement at first, but damn if if it didn’t turn out allllll right…certainly better than my buddy Neil high-fiving Bono that same festival. Bono is easy (like a cheerleader). Kristofferson is hard (like a valedictorian).

I love stereotypes, by the way.

+ XFRod on July 24th, 2011 at 1:06 am said:

Schweet! Back in the early 90′s, I was at Margaritaville, in the Keys, when Jimmy Buffet showed up (seems he owns the place and, a nearby houseboat), bought the house a round of beers, and played an unannounced, 45 min. acoustic set. He refused to play “Margaritaville”.. Said it was number one on the juxebox if anyone wanted to hear it after he left.

My favorite brush with fame. Before our little banter, of course.

Looking forward to the game, looks awesome. Enjoy the booth babes.

+ Scott Simpson on July 24th, 2011 at 10:33 am said:

Heheh, cool.

Weirdly, I am wearing a parrot on my head as we speak…

+ ChaosStorm57 on July 25th, 2011 at 4:36 am said:

HEY SCOTT, sideways looks like a great game! do you think i could add you on psn sometime so we can play some games together?

+ Scott Simpson on July 25th, 2011 at 7:46 pm said:

Thanks for the props, and yep, I am just getting a new tag for public play– I’m always down for some Mod Nations or whatnot…

+ Locster60 on July 31st, 2011 at 8:51 pm said:

Man that game is tight!

I am from the old school looks like graffiti coming to life!

And you answered all the comments! WOW!

I dont think I have seen any big developer do that!

Day one purchase for the game play and you PR!

+ Scott Simpson on August 6th, 2011 at 5:32 pm said:

Yessir– tight as a fat guy in a compact car.

I even commented on this one…a few days late.

Huzzah! Glad you like. More announcement-y things this month, it would seem…

+ Scott Simpson on August 6th, 2011 at 5:32 pm said:

Yessir– tight as a fat guy in a compact car.

I even commented on this one…a few days late.

Huzzah! Glad you like. More announcement-y things this month, it would seem…

+ Scott Simpson on August 6th, 2011 at 5:32 pm said:

DAMMIT.

+ marlyt on August 16th, 2011 at 12:33 am said:

Scott, they haven’t closed comments yet (not 30 dayz) So…Where’s the game??? We want…no scratch that…NEED it now. Summer sucks, brother. At least give us a new post with screens/video. Have a swell day. No, I’m not a bored, ADD-riddled insomnic. Why do you ask? How rude!!!!

+ Scott Simpson on August 21st, 2011 at 2:17 am said:

OCTOBER 11th. OCTOBER 11th. OCTOBER 11th. OCTOBER 11th. OCTOBER 11th. OCTOBER 11th. OCTOBER 11th. OCTOBER 11th. OCTOBER 11th. OCTOBER 11th. OCTOBER 11th. OCTOBER 11th.

/exhales