PS4 - Batman Arkham Knight

Call of Duty: Black Ops Annihilation DLC Hits Tonight, Get Domination Tips

Dan Amrich's Avatar + Posted by Dan Amrich on Jul 27, 2011 // Community Manager, Activision

Call of Duty: Black Ops: Annihilation Map Pack for PS3 (Zombies: Shangri La)

Annihilation — the third pack of DLC maps for Call of Duty: Black Ops – comes to the PlayStation 3 late tonight after 2am Pacific Time. The DLC offers four new multiplayer arenas and a new jungle-based Zombies survival experience in Shangri-Li. In celebration of the big release, developer Treyarch has deemed that the double XP will flow all weekend long. I’ll be hosting a gameplay session this Friday night to soak some of that up myself, and my favorite game type is Domination. Truth be told, I’m not that good a shot, so objective-based modes like this one let me help the team and keep leveing up even if I’m nowhere near the top of the K/D ratios.

In that spirit, I wanted to offer some tips for the four new maps. I don’t know if we’ll meet up on the same team or on opposite sides of a red dot sight, but I’m willing to take that risk in the name of having fun…

Call of Duty: Black Ops: Annihilation Map Pack for PS3Call of Duty: Black Ops: Annihilation Map Pack for PS3

Drive In

I like this map a lot. Snipers perched in the projection room and in the screen will no doubt trade fire over the B flag in the middle of the map, but that also makes them susceptible to backstabs and grenades while they’re preoccupied. If you sneak up behind them, beware their defensive claymores. If you prefer to play defensively yourself, the box office near A is often underutilized as a hiding spot; you’ve got a good view of the flag and the most popular paths for advancing troops, so don’t be afraid to crouch in the ticket booth and guard your flag. Since all three flags fall in a line (more or less), consider Napalm Strike as a killstreak reward; if you drop a bit of linear fire, you can often shut down A & B or B & C and force the opponents to the edges of the map. Oh, and while you’re off to the left side, stop in the arcade and check out the pinball machines for a nice in-joke.

Hazard

This golf course is a sniper’s dream – the gazebo over A and the bridge near C give you clear lines of sight all the way down the fairway. As a result, expect B to be a nightmare to capture, especially since it’s easily attacked from the left or the right side as well. Gas grenades are great defensively at B, so consider a loadout with Tactical Mask to counteract that if you’re trying to capture. Personally, I prefer to try to control A and C and wait it out; sneak a claymore in near the chess table at C to help conceal it, and use the shadows at A to your advantage on defense.

Call of Duty: Black Ops: Annihilation Map Pack for PS3

Hangar 18

This level’s flags are spread out in a wide triangle pattern, with the B flag directly under the nose of the SR-71 Blackbird. B is particularly hard to capture because it’s so exposed and can be protected by long-range fire – there’s a building directly above on the A side that’s perfect for someone with a sniper or assault rifle, not to mention the tarped shipping crates that provide both height and cover for guards. But while everybody’s paying attention to the nose of the plane, don’t neglect its engines – flanking from the hangar itself (especially if you lead with a flashbang or concussion) is usually quite effective.

Call of Duty: Black Ops: Annihilation Map Pack for PS3

Silo

Silo can be overwhelming, as there are many blind corners and unusual pieces of cover – those cement cylinders, for instance. There’s a fair amount of verticality to the map; it doesn’t immediately look like Kowloon, but with several ladders, staircases, and scaffoldings to climb, it kind of plays like its Russian cousin. Plus, its highs are very high, giving snipers excellent views of B. However, A and C are less open from the most popular sniper perches – each has a tall wall between it and the middle of the map – so load up with shotguns and SMGs and storm them. The best team balance I’ve seen for Domination is two dedicated snipers and four roamers/cappers, working together. You really need teamwork on this one to be effective.

Above all, regardless of what map you play, use your voice! Most Domination games can be aided by simple status reports – every player can act as a scout. If three people took you out at A, say “Three at A” to prepare anybody else on your team. Simple, direct intel like that is always appreciated by teammates who want to work together.

Enjoy the new maps, enjoy this weekend’s double XP, and jump in for my Friday night session if you can; my PSN ID is OneOfSwords.

PAGE 1 2 3 10

+ jr927 on July 27th, 2011 at 9:06 pm said:

Looking forward to the new maps.

+ Cyber_Goth_Night on July 27th, 2011 at 9:08 pm said:

wen me want it now cause it already 12 am in est

+ Dan Amrich on July 27th, 2011 at 9:25 pm said:

2am PT is 5am ET — I’d get some sleep if I were you, you have several hours to go!

+ yazter on July 27th, 2011 at 9:11 pm said:

Weird request, but could we have an ANTI-Nuketown playlist (a la 24 hours Nuketown, but without Nuketown)? I avoid that map like the plague.

+ Dan Amrich on July 27th, 2011 at 9:22 pm said:

LOL — that’s why they sometimes do Nuketown as its own playlist — so you can intentionally go in or intentionally stay away!

But, no, Nuketown will remain in regular rotation. But now you have four more maps that might come up instead. :)

+ collinator11 on July 27th, 2011 at 9:14 pm said:

Looks cool, and I’ve heard good things about it, but, I quit black ops awhile ago. Haven’t played it for about 5 months now. I’m spending my time with MW2 and waiting for MW3.

+ r-mann_97 on July 27th, 2011 at 9:14 pm said:

definitely getting this add on

+ lemloslyce54 on July 27th, 2011 at 9:18 pm said:

itd be nice to have it eastern time i mean realy look at our side of the map on the thing east has more players, makeit an early release like u did escalation

+ AlexandreAM on July 27th, 2011 at 9:18 pm said:

spelling mistake!? “HangEr 18″?

+ PlaGue_Got3nkz on July 27th, 2011 at 9:20 pm said:

Lol.. I love how Cyber_Goth_Night & ALL of the COD community, think Map packs always come out on the strike of midnight, I was on earlier and children (Who i frown upon for using derogatory language) Where getting mad because i told them it wont come out at 12 est and thats the truth, lol i bet theyre screaming.
Ahh good ol parenting nowadays eh? Anyways, like anyone who wants to leave reality for a day to play this new & gorgeous map pack, Im going to get some sleep knowing it doesnt come out for another 5 hours, That way i’ll be fresh & ready to go at release..
& Ohh boy will i enjoy these maps, Nice and open spaces… Perfect for a tomahawker of my caliber :)
Thanks for letting us know Dan. You saved me some sleep hours . See ya at 2 !

+ junebug96 on July 27th, 2011 at 9:21 pm said:

Use what does that mean for us people with central time when do we get it all

+ lemloslyce54 on July 27th, 2011 at 9:22 pm said:

my opinion it should comeout at12am in east and pacific, east gets it at 12 while pacific gets it a 12 its only fair, , us in the east have to stay up latr than them, thats not fair is it?

+ Dan Amrich on July 27th, 2011 at 9:27 pm said:

It’s more fair that everybody gets it at the same time — I mean, how angry would the Californian gamers be if the New York gamers were playing three hours before they did? And what if you’re in Orlando but want to play with your friend in Seattle — you wouldn’t be able to. So…one time that the switch is flipped for everybody seems way more fair to me.

+ lemloslyce54 on July 27th, 2011 at 9:22 pm said:

june u get it when ever pacific gets it, they dont have to stay up as late as we do

+ PlaGue_Got3nkz on July 27th, 2011 at 9:22 pm said:

Beautiful.. Nice open areas for a Tomahawk like myself,
You saved me some sleep hours Dan, Lol If i see you im going to make it my objective to Tomahawk you,
LOL 100000000000 XP -Took out a PSN Employee-
Thanks again and may everyone have as much fun as i do .

+ lemloslyce54 on July 27th, 2011 at 9:23 pm said:

and a firin range 24/2 would be awesome

+ samsavior99 on July 27th, 2011 at 9:24 pm said:

Now that drive-in is a new map based off nuketown can we get drive-in 24/7???!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

+ Dan Amrich on July 27th, 2011 at 9:35 pm said:

Drive-In isn’t really “based on” Nuketown; they’re different maps altogether. They are both Americana themed and kinda small, but that’s where it ends.

+ XavierStar on July 27th, 2011 at 9:25 pm said:

Want the Zombie Map Pack….

+ Sangetsu-II on July 27th, 2011 at 9:26 pm said:

I always get confused, when does it come out Est time then?

+ dean_donald on July 27th, 2011 at 9:31 pm said:

what time does it come out in central time (AZ)

+ lemloslyce54 on July 27th, 2011 at 9:32 pm said:

ohh i can see where ur gettin at man , but at my point of veiw i have football tomorrow, so ill have to download for a few hours which takes half my time, and not gettin much rest for practice i had good plans for this, was hoping it would have came out the same time as escalation, and im glad to see ur replying

+ lemloslyce54 on July 27th, 2011 at 9:33 pm said:

and it shows when you go to browser, download now, y does it say that? lol

+ THE_DEVILS_BULL on July 27th, 2011 at 9:34 pm said:

seen some of the new maps and most of shangri la idk how to spell the zombie map but whatever seems like the best map pack so far dieing to play

+ Sangetsu-II on July 27th, 2011 at 9:34 pm said:

@ Dan Amrich: So its “fair” if Xbox 360 gets one month earlier than us but its not fair if we ET players get it 3 hours earlier?

+ catincrunch13 on July 27th, 2011 at 9:35 pm said:

why is it 2am instead of 12am?

+ lemloslyce54 on July 27th, 2011 at 9:37 pm said:

@ Sangetsu-II: very true but, theyre contracts up after black ops, so we get map packs for mw3 first, at least thats what i have heard

+ Dan Amrich on July 27th, 2011 at 9:41 pm said:

The biz deal is through 2012, so since MW3 comes out in 2011, I expect this exclusivity window will remain for the next game. Sorry about that.

+ millersburgfan52 on July 27th, 2011 at 9:38 pm said:

lol i find it funny how xbox can get it at midnight but for us we gotta wait i mean come on really just cause they pay dosent mean u can treat us like a 3rd party

+ Dan Amrich on July 27th, 2011 at 9:43 pm said:

Huh? Usually when Xbox Live updates, it’s also at 2am Pacific. Of course, the update times are entirely up to the folks who run the stores, but middle of the night is sort of the most common update time across the board.

I’m not sure where you’re getting your data, but it doesn’t match my experience.

+ Fishface45 on July 27th, 2011 at 9:39 pm said:

Already preordered at Gamestop, I’ll have my code when I wake up.

+ romcombo on July 27th, 2011 at 9:40 pm said:

Well realistically the Pacific people probably liked it the way it was last time because East got it at Midnight Central got it at 11 and Easter got it at 9, which is really fair for everyone in the U.S. I also really hate the new times…. ugh….

+ Sangetsu-II on July 27th, 2011 at 9:40 pm said:

@lemloslyce54: No we don’t get mw3 first, xbox gets exclusives 1st ti’ll 2012 (that’s when their contract with microsoft ends) To keep you guys up to date. :)

+ lemloslyce54 on July 27th, 2011 at 9:41 pm said:

@ Sangetsu-II: thats bs

+ dean_donald on July 27th, 2011 at 9:42 pm said:

why was it last dlc came around 10 central time?

+ hendrix09 on July 27th, 2011 at 9:43 pm said:

Hey Dan, do you know how much space this map pack takes?
I’m over my monthly usage and don’t want to pay $2 extra for every Gig. But then again I can’t wait for Shangri La!!!

+ Dan Amrich on July 27th, 2011 at 9:45 pm said:

I don’t know — I get it when you get it. I suspect it will be beefy though. The other two packs have been hundreds of megs so I’m expecting the same.

+ lemloslyce54 on July 27th, 2011 at 9:43 pm said:

is drive-in smaller than nuketown?

+ Dan Amrich on July 27th, 2011 at 9:47 pm said:

I *think* Nuketown is smaller — Treyarch could tell you for sure. But it’s definitely got the tight feel of Nuketown and Firing Range.

+ catincrunch13 on July 27th, 2011 at 9:44 pm said:

would there be double xp and nuketown 24/7 this weekend?

+ Dan Amrich on July 27th, 2011 at 9:46 pm said:

As stated in the article above, double XP is on this weekend. Nuketown 24/7, I would not expect — they usually activate that playlist on PS3 when 360 has fresh DLC and vice versa, so each platform has a little something different.

+ THE_DEVILS_BULL on July 27th, 2011 at 9:45 pm said:

ya there is double xp and nuketown :)

+ Sangetsu-II on July 27th, 2011 at 9:45 pm said:

@Dan Amrich: True that the contract is a business deal but what about the favoritism for xbox 360 (Cause we are all aware that treyarch did a crappy port for PC,PS3 and Wii) [AND! hasn't fixed those issues since launch date] I find that unfair. :(

+ Dan Amrich on July 27th, 2011 at 9:53 pm said:

Treyarch has worked on a lot of the issues from launch — hey, I played it early on too, and I have seen them disappear, so, as you say, let’s not be unfair. Treyarch has documented those fixes in their forums, where fans have been reporting them — if you want to suggest things that still need work, by all means, go to the Black Ops forums and speak up. The PS3-specific forum is here:

+ catincrunch13 on July 27th, 2011 at 9:48 pm said:

cool thanks how much would the map pack cost?

+ Dan Amrich on July 27th, 2011 at 9:54 pm said:

Don’t know, but I’m expecting it will be the same as the others, since the number of maps is the same.

+ THE_DEVILS_BULL on July 27th, 2011 at 9:49 pm said:

@Dan Amrich do you think there will be more dlc packs for black ops just curious on what people think

+ Dan Amrich on July 27th, 2011 at 9:54 pm said:

I don’t know. I certainly have been happy with the amount of maps, but I haven’t heard what Treyarch is working on next.

+ do6237 on July 27th, 2011 at 9:49 pm said:

Another reason to get an Xbox cause Sony let Xbox get the maps a month before PS3 just to save money on there servers oh wait that was a bad investment lol.
Might get banned now lol

+ lemloslyce54 on July 27th, 2011 at 9:50 pm said:

seems sweet I’ve played on 360 drive in hardcore search and destroy, the whole other team lined up and i killed all 6 with a mp5k , they were talking crap ha ha, i don’t really like 360 people much

+ xjordan93 on July 27th, 2011 at 9:50 pm said:

dan u handle all the comments so nicely :)

how bout some free codes on the twitters :D

and by some i mean alot

+ Dan Amrich on July 27th, 2011 at 9:55 pm said:

And by free you mean sent to you personally, right? :)

I am hoping to get codes to give away, but I don’t have ‘em yet. Sometimes I don’t get them for a day or two.

+ THE_DEVILS_BULL on July 27th, 2011 at 9:51 pm said:

the map pack will probaly be the same 15 bucks plus tax

+ blackmnm6v on July 27th, 2011 at 9:52 pm said:

yo is it gonna be a 4th map pack

+ Red_beastin on July 27th, 2011 at 9:53 pm said:

Another map pack. Nice. I wonder if there’s going to be a 4th map pack.

+ blackmnm6v on July 27th, 2011 at 9:54 pm said:

i just said dat

+ Deva_321 on July 27th, 2011 at 9:55 pm said:

OMG!!!! more zombies to killllll … cant wait : )

+ THE_DEVILS_BULL on July 27th, 2011 at 9:55 pm said:

thanks Dan

+ HGX-SSZ on July 27th, 2011 at 9:55 pm said:

i live in vancouver BC could you tell me wat time i get it

+ Dan Amrich on July 27th, 2011 at 10:02 pm said:

Use the link above, up in #6.

+ do6237 on July 27th, 2011 at 9:55 pm said:

Btw how is it fair that everyone gets the maps at the same time when most of the USA is asleep since someone choose to release the maps at the most dumbest time in the world!!!! Could of pick some time in the afternoon??????????

+ Dan Amrich on July 27th, 2011 at 10:01 pm said:

I think it might be easier to update the system when the traffic is at its lightest. That’s my guess, anyway.

+ blackmnm6v on July 27th, 2011 at 9:56 pm said:

ggg

+ hendrix09 on July 27th, 2011 at 9:57 pm said:

For those of you who are always complaining about 360 getting DLC 1 month early; IT’S A BUISNESS DEAL.
Get over it. It’s just a month we have to wait! So don’t go after Treyarch, and saying rude things to them.
Maybe us PlayStation users will get it a month early when Microsoft’s contract is over. You never know!

+ Dan Amrich on July 27th, 2011 at 10:04 pm said:

I was kind of hoping people would be more excited by the content itself. Maybe we’re just hearing from the folks who are really into the industry part of the games industry. I’ll take the games part, thanks.

+ Ozzy214 on July 27th, 2011 at 9:57 pm said:

when is central gonna get it what time?

PAGE 1 2 3 10