Far Cry 4

Call of Duty: Black Ops Annihilation DLC Hits Tonight, Get Domination Tips

Dan Amrich's Avatar + Posted by Dan Amrich on Jul 27, 2011 // Community Manager, Activision

Call of Duty: Black Ops: Annihilation Map Pack for PS3 (Zombies: Shangri La)

Annihilation — the third pack of DLC maps for Call of Duty: Black Ops – comes to the PlayStation 3 late tonight after 2am Pacific Time. The DLC offers four new multiplayer arenas and a new jungle-based Zombies survival experience in Shangri-Li. In celebration of the big release, developer Treyarch has deemed that the double XP will flow all weekend long. I’ll be hosting a gameplay session this Friday night to soak some of that up myself, and my favorite game type is Domination. Truth be told, I’m not that good a shot, so objective-based modes like this one let me help the team and keep leveing up even if I’m nowhere near the top of the K/D ratios.

In that spirit, I wanted to offer some tips for the four new maps. I don’t know if we’ll meet up on the same team or on opposite sides of a red dot sight, but I’m willing to take that risk in the name of having fun…

Call of Duty: Black Ops: Annihilation Map Pack for PS3Call of Duty: Black Ops: Annihilation Map Pack for PS3

Drive In

I like this map a lot. Snipers perched in the projection room and in the screen will no doubt trade fire over the B flag in the middle of the map, but that also makes them susceptible to backstabs and grenades while they’re preoccupied. If you sneak up behind them, beware their defensive claymores. If you prefer to play defensively yourself, the box office near A is often underutilized as a hiding spot; you’ve got a good view of the flag and the most popular paths for advancing troops, so don’t be afraid to crouch in the ticket booth and guard your flag. Since all three flags fall in a line (more or less), consider Napalm Strike as a killstreak reward; if you drop a bit of linear fire, you can often shut down A & B or B & C and force the opponents to the edges of the map. Oh, and while you’re off to the left side, stop in the arcade and check out the pinball machines for a nice in-joke.

Hazard

This golf course is a sniper’s dream – the gazebo over A and the bridge near C give you clear lines of sight all the way down the fairway. As a result, expect B to be a nightmare to capture, especially since it’s easily attacked from the left or the right side as well. Gas grenades are great defensively at B, so consider a loadout with Tactical Mask to counteract that if you’re trying to capture. Personally, I prefer to try to control A and C and wait it out; sneak a claymore in near the chess table at C to help conceal it, and use the shadows at A to your advantage on defense.

Call of Duty: Black Ops: Annihilation Map Pack for PS3

Hangar 18

This level’s flags are spread out in a wide triangle pattern, with the B flag directly under the nose of the SR-71 Blackbird. B is particularly hard to capture because it’s so exposed and can be protected by long-range fire – there’s a building directly above on the A side that’s perfect for someone with a sniper or assault rifle, not to mention the tarped shipping crates that provide both height and cover for guards. But while everybody’s paying attention to the nose of the plane, don’t neglect its engines – flanking from the hangar itself (especially if you lead with a flashbang or concussion) is usually quite effective.

Call of Duty: Black Ops: Annihilation Map Pack for PS3

Silo

Silo can be overwhelming, as there are many blind corners and unusual pieces of cover – those cement cylinders, for instance. There’s a fair amount of verticality to the map; it doesn’t immediately look like Kowloon, but with several ladders, staircases, and scaffoldings to climb, it kind of plays like its Russian cousin. Plus, its highs are very high, giving snipers excellent views of B. However, A and C are less open from the most popular sniper perches – each has a tall wall between it and the middle of the map – so load up with shotguns and SMGs and storm them. The best team balance I’ve seen for Domination is two dedicated snipers and four roamers/cappers, working together. You really need teamwork on this one to be effective.

Above all, regardless of what map you play, use your voice! Most Domination games can be aided by simple status reports – every player can act as a scout. If three people took you out at A, say “Three at A” to prepare anybody else on your team. Simple, direct intel like that is always appreciated by teammates who want to work together.

Enjoy the new maps, enjoy this weekend’s double XP, and jump in for my Friday night session if you can; my PSN ID is OneOfSwords.

PAGE 1 2 3 4 5 10

+ WyteBoy84 on July 27th, 2011 at 11:42 pm said:

@Unique, if your in illinois why you gota wait til 4am? im in racine wisconsin, and i should have them around 2am… And were in the same time zone…

+ LaCin87 on July 27th, 2011 at 11:42 pm said:

SO ME N MY BF BEEN WAITIN FOR IT TO BE TWELVE SO WE CAN GET THE NEW MAP PACKS N OH EM GEEE THIS SUCKS CUS I GOTTA WAIT A COUPLE MORE HOURZ. AHHH. WAS HOPEIN TO PLAY THEM ALREADY. OH WELL I GUESS I CAN WAIT A LIL LONGER. [LCT-DURA]

+ Unique_Chaos_07 on July 27th, 2011 at 11:43 pm said:

I googled what time pacific time is my time, and its 2 hours earlier than me…so I have to wait an extra 2 hours…unless I misread that lol

+ WyteBoy84 on July 27th, 2011 at 11:45 pm said:

@Unique, what do you have your timezone set on, on your ps3?

+ Unique_Chaos_07 on July 27th, 2011 at 11:47 pm said:

@WyteBoy84, GMT-06:00 Central Time (U.S. Canada)

+ PlaGue_Got3nkz on July 27th, 2011 at 11:50 pm said:

Lol… For the people sitting here… Yapping about how the price needs to be lowered and how easterners should get the maps before westerners.. You guys are truly ungrateful, Were lucky back as a child in the late 80′s i never wouldve dreamed i could see games like this, nor pull a “Gamestop” all nighterin my own living room on an expansion to a game a multimillion dollar developer couldve released and forgot about, Lets all just chill.. The mpas will be out soon enough, they are no different if you got them an hour from now, or a year from now. The impatience over a luxury gets under my skin.. I understand WE as the COD community tend to get a little overexcited over new maps, For good reason but i think we could go watch tv for a FEW hours until Sony gets the pack up. As for the price complainers, Its been the same price since Mw2, Noones forcefully making you buy it so dont, If 15$ is hard to comeby (YET you bought a 300$ Ps3 and a 60$ game) then you should try putting away a dollar a day until your able, Might not snag it the first day but like they say “Better late then never” Right?

+ overlordofmagic on July 27th, 2011 at 11:52 pm said:

I disagree with the equal crap you are shoving down our throats. I would be much more pleased that people that people in Florida for example would start playing the map pack on PS3 THE EXACT DATE IT’S SPECIFIED IN!!! JULY 28 MEANS JULY 28!!!! NOT THIS WHOLE STUFF ABOUT, “Equal time getting the DLC.” IF ACTIVISION WAS TO SAY THIS OR PSN THEY WOULD SAY JULY 28 AT 5 IN THE MORNING!!!! BUT NO THEY WEREN’T SPECIFIC THEREFORE I WANT PEOPLE IN FLORIDA TO GET THE DARN DLC WHEN THE CLOCK HITS THE 28TH AND ME GETTING IT RIGHT NOW SINCE IT’S F*$#ING JULY 28!!! WHEN IT’S JULY 28TH IT’S JULY 28TH NOTHING MORE NOTHING LESS. I’ve literally had enough of being treated like a 3rd party costumer. I don’t care if that’s how it is with PSN or Xbox Live. I read that activision was part of atari, but then atari got bought out by money and then they treated their costumers like retards on wheels. Now activision your no better than atari at it’s time. Money is controlling your every move instead of making good games for quality gamers like everyone on xbox, ps3, wii, and pc. This is only foreshadowing your demise activision.. And I laugh at any other company that does this.

+ WyteBoy84 on July 27th, 2011 at 11:56 pm said:

@Unique, i have mine set on GMT-05:00 Eastern Time (Us, Canada)

+ beastboy121 on July 27th, 2011 at 11:59 pm said:

Ey Dan I hop hey release the classic zombies because if they do I would be very happy to buy them.

+ MexicanTortuga on July 28th, 2011 at 12:01 am said:

@Ozzy214 At 4:00am Im pulling an all nighter for these maps

+ MANN1281 on July 28th, 2011 at 12:02 am said:

BOOOOOO!!!! Why did the second map pack get an early release but not this one? WHATS THE DEAL??Exclusive content or not X-Box always gets the newest map packs first plus most of any download content for that matter. I can understand that the PSN is free and that may partly have something to do with it, on the other hand you shouldn’t tell us that we have exclusive content that x-box doesn’t get and we do cuz it’s a two way street on that matter…….

+ JiVe_azz_TuRkEy on July 28th, 2011 at 12:02 am said:

I wish double xp still meant something to me. Haha.

+ WyteBoy84 on July 28th, 2011 at 12:04 am said:

Yea me too, I’ve been on my 15th prestige for months now…. I had to make another accnt jus so it was some what fun to play still. lol

+ Kill_happy12 on July 28th, 2011 at 12:06 am said:

dont feel bad its alread 1 am mst

+ Kill_happy12 on July 28th, 2011 at 12:08 am said:

i hate waiting

+ Poozilla024 on July 28th, 2011 at 12:08 am said:

Well its 2:08 central here and that means it should be 12 pacific but no new maps yet guess i will just go to bed :(

+ kstewfan75080 on July 28th, 2011 at 12:11 am said:

Seriously it’s after 12 pacific time where are the new maps i have been up 16+ hours and no new maps what’s the deal, seriously considering leaving PS3

+ beastboy121 on July 28th, 2011 at 12:11 am said:

They will one out at 3 in central not 2

+ JiVe_azz_TuRkEy on July 28th, 2011 at 12:12 am said:

well if you could read I believe it said 2am pacific time…

+ Poozilla024 on July 28th, 2011 at 12:12 am said:

they were suppose to come out at 12 pacific that would be 2 central

+ jamin2109 on July 28th, 2011 at 12:12 am said:

wow this blog is a lie its 2:06 and its 12:06 in pacific time where the hell are they

+ Poozilla024 on July 28th, 2011 at 12:13 am said:

o guess i misread it sorry

+ WyteBoy84 on July 28th, 2011 at 12:14 am said:

Im gettin sick of waiting my damn self, But i got this trainwreck to keep me occupied til there in tha store… lol

+ Unique_Chaos_07 on July 28th, 2011 at 12:14 am said:

@WyteBoy84…What time is it right now where u are? It is 2:14 a.m. here

+ Poozilla024 on July 28th, 2011 at 12:14 am said:

it does say 2 pacific so its 4 central.suck..guess i will have to wait till tomorrow night to play them

+ Xx_SpUkY_xX on July 28th, 2011 at 12:14 am said:

hey when are the maps out its 12oclock

+ Im_a_Garza on July 28th, 2011 at 12:14 am said:

Hey dan will they make the world at war zombie maps dlc

+ WyteBoy84 on July 28th, 2011 at 12:15 am said:

Hell, its 2:14 am here in wisconsin… and i read somewhere i shoulda had them at 2…

+ Poozilla024 on July 28th, 2011 at 12:15 am said:

2 more hours spunky

+ bamaboy325 on July 28th, 2011 at 12:15 am said:

Its 2:14am for me so would i be able to get it right now??

+ JiVe_azz_TuRkEy on July 28th, 2011 at 12:15 am said:

@WyteBoy84… you should add me, lets tear some fools up :) hahaha

+ Poozilla024 on July 28th, 2011 at 12:15 am said:

no dude its 2 pacific so its 4 central for us

+ WyteBoy84 on July 28th, 2011 at 12:16 am said:

@Unique, its 2:16 right now in Racine Wisconsin

+ Twice_the_A on July 28th, 2011 at 12:16 am said:

crap stayed up for nothing, guess Shangri-La will have to wait for me to own it tomorrow night xD

+ Unique_Chaos_07 on July 28th, 2011 at 12:17 am said:

lol, there is so much confusion between all there people…and some don’t even know what time they are being released at? Use google people….use google! haha. Getting a kick out of reading these comments :P

+ Unique_Chaos_07 on July 28th, 2011 at 12:18 am said:

@WyteBoy…good we’re on the same time zone..therefore, you have to wait till 4 a.m. like me lol

+ Poozilla024 on July 28th, 2011 at 12:18 am said:

+ WyteBoy84 on July 28th, 2011 at 12:18 am said:

@Jive, ima be real wit ya, i aint tha greatest but it depend on what im playn ya feel me, We can get down tho…

+ JiVe_azz_TuRkEy on July 28th, 2011 at 12:19 am said:

@unique.. yeah i know right? especially that one guy that said he was thinking about leaving ps3 cause he can’t read what time it comes out. haha :P

+ WyteBoy84 on July 28th, 2011 at 12:20 am said:

@Unique, Damn girl i hope we aint gota wait until 4… That sux big floppin Donkey D*ck… lol

+ JiVe_azz_TuRkEy on July 28th, 2011 at 12:21 am said:

@wyte… its all good dude, as long as you know how to play the games, and not camp and worry about your k/d lol

+ WyteBoy84 on July 28th, 2011 at 12:21 am said:

@Jive, ima send you a add right now brah…

+ Unique_Chaos_07 on July 28th, 2011 at 12:22 am said:

I know! lol. That did make me laugh! Most of peoples comments make me laugh though lol. Ps3 should send all the guys a post it in the mail…to put on their forehead so they know the facts and dont forget or dont forget to read the blog lol. Girls are smarter :P

+ kstewfan75080 on July 28th, 2011 at 12:23 am said:

@ jivefirst off im only thinking bout leaving because ps3 cant get their stuff together, first it’s a hack xbox has had this map pack for a month, im tired of waiting around for sloppy seconds second off IM A GIRL

+ Unique_Chaos_07 on July 28th, 2011 at 12:23 am said:

We have to wait till 4am…lol. It sucks…agreed! :P

+ Unique_Chaos_07 on July 28th, 2011 at 12:23 am said:

Ok- I take my comment back….Apparently girls aren’t smarter…my bad.

+ WyteBoy84 on July 28th, 2011 at 12:23 am said:

@Unique, some girls are smarter, some girls are dumber then hell… Vice Versa for men too.. lol

+ Unique_Chaos_07 on July 28th, 2011 at 12:24 am said:

:P Agreed! :)

+ JiVe_azz_TuRkEy on July 28th, 2011 at 12:25 am said:

@kstewfan.. microsoft has a deal with activision to get the maps a month before ps3.

@unique… girls are smarter huh? hahahahaha

+ mckassult on July 28th, 2011 at 12:25 am said:

I just wish that people would take some time to learn about time zones and how to read a whole article not just tib bits.
2 am pacific
3 am mountain
4 am central
5 am eastern
our education system must really be f@#ked up

PAGE 1 2 3 4 5 10