Far Cry 4

Call of Duty: Black Ops Annihilation DLC Hits Tonight, Get Domination Tips

Dan Amrich's Avatar + Posted by Dan Amrich on Jul 27, 2011 // Community Manager, Ubisoft

Call of Duty: Black Ops: Annihilation Map Pack for PS3 (Zombies: Shangri La)

Annihilation — the third pack of DLC maps for Call of Duty: Black Ops – comes to the PlayStation 3 late tonight after 2am Pacific Time. The DLC offers four new multiplayer arenas and a new jungle-based Zombies survival experience in Shangri-Li. In celebration of the big release, developer Treyarch has deemed that the double XP will flow all weekend long. I’ll be hosting a gameplay session this Friday night to soak some of that up myself, and my favorite game type is Domination. Truth be told, I’m not that good a shot, so objective-based modes like this one let me help the team and keep leveing up even if I’m nowhere near the top of the K/D ratios.

In that spirit, I wanted to offer some tips for the four new maps. I don’t know if we’ll meet up on the same team or on opposite sides of a red dot sight, but I’m willing to take that risk in the name of having fun…

Call of Duty: Black Ops: Annihilation Map Pack for PS3Call of Duty: Black Ops: Annihilation Map Pack for PS3

Drive In

I like this map a lot. Snipers perched in the projection room and in the screen will no doubt trade fire over the B flag in the middle of the map, but that also makes them susceptible to backstabs and grenades while they’re preoccupied. If you sneak up behind them, beware their defensive claymores. If you prefer to play defensively yourself, the box office near A is often underutilized as a hiding spot; you’ve got a good view of the flag and the most popular paths for advancing troops, so don’t be afraid to crouch in the ticket booth and guard your flag. Since all three flags fall in a line (more or less), consider Napalm Strike as a killstreak reward; if you drop a bit of linear fire, you can often shut down A & B or B & C and force the opponents to the edges of the map. Oh, and while you’re off to the left side, stop in the arcade and check out the pinball machines for a nice in-joke.

Hazard

This golf course is a sniper’s dream – the gazebo over A and the bridge near C give you clear lines of sight all the way down the fairway. As a result, expect B to be a nightmare to capture, especially since it’s easily attacked from the left or the right side as well. Gas grenades are great defensively at B, so consider a loadout with Tactical Mask to counteract that if you’re trying to capture. Personally, I prefer to try to control A and C and wait it out; sneak a claymore in near the chess table at C to help conceal it, and use the shadows at A to your advantage on defense.

Call of Duty: Black Ops: Annihilation Map Pack for PS3

Hangar 18

This level’s flags are spread out in a wide triangle pattern, with the B flag directly under the nose of the SR-71 Blackbird. B is particularly hard to capture because it’s so exposed and can be protected by long-range fire – there’s a building directly above on the A side that’s perfect for someone with a sniper or assault rifle, not to mention the tarped shipping crates that provide both height and cover for guards. But while everybody’s paying attention to the nose of the plane, don’t neglect its engines – flanking from the hangar itself (especially if you lead with a flashbang or concussion) is usually quite effective.

Call of Duty: Black Ops: Annihilation Map Pack for PS3

Silo

Silo can be overwhelming, as there are many blind corners and unusual pieces of cover – those cement cylinders, for instance. There’s a fair amount of verticality to the map; it doesn’t immediately look like Kowloon, but with several ladders, staircases, and scaffoldings to climb, it kind of plays like its Russian cousin. Plus, its highs are very high, giving snipers excellent views of B. However, A and C are less open from the most popular sniper perches – each has a tall wall between it and the middle of the map – so load up with shotguns and SMGs and storm them. The best team balance I’ve seen for Domination is two dedicated snipers and four roamers/cappers, working together. You really need teamwork on this one to be effective.

Above all, regardless of what map you play, use your voice! Most Domination games can be aided by simple status reports – every player can act as a scout. If three people took you out at A, say “Three at A” to prepare anybody else on your team. Simple, direct intel like that is always appreciated by teammates who want to work together.

Enjoy the new maps, enjoy this weekend’s double XP, and jump in for my Friday night session if you can; my PSN ID is OneOfSwords.

PAGE 1 2 3 4 5 6 10

+ SHARK5324 on July 28th, 2011 at 12:25 am said:

why at 2am

+ WyteBoy84 on July 28th, 2011 at 12:25 am said:

@Unique, you should add me too, that is if it aint a problem…

+ Twice_the_A on July 28th, 2011 at 12:25 am said:

@ comment 144 LOL LMFAO ROFL LMAO DWL!!!

+ Unique_Chaos_07 on July 28th, 2011 at 12:26 am said:

@ Jive..hey now, I corrected my comment hahaha.

+ JiVe_azz_TuRkEy on July 28th, 2011 at 12:26 am said:

@mckassult.. agreed, some people should lay off the video games and go back to school. haha

+ Unique_Chaos_07 on July 28th, 2011 at 12:28 am said:

@Twice, thanks lol

+ SHARK5324 on July 28th, 2011 at 12:28 am said:

is there go to be a map pack 4

+ hyjacker457 on July 28th, 2011 at 12:29 am said:

yep currently waiting and playing zombies

+ scorpionov4 on July 28th, 2011 at 12:31 am said:

hey is it ok if i add some of u cuz i want to play with pp but none of my friends r on :(

+ Cyrus_Gamer on July 28th, 2011 at 12:31 am said:

Wow i read all the comments and all i have to say is… OH MY GOD! how smart do you have to be to know that EVERYONE GETS THE MAPS AT THE SAME TIME D:< *sigh* im ashamed in humanity. 2am PST is 4amCST, SAME TIME diffrent place, its not the same time everywhere in the world you know….
At this moment its 2:31 CST, 1 and a half hours till map packs

+ PlaGue_Got3nkz on July 28th, 2011 at 12:31 am said:

Kstew, Are you serious kid? Your deciding whether or not to leave Ps3 because of a COD map pack ?
I love when people complain when its time for the map pack to come out, But as soon as it drops everyones all goody goody and quiet til the next map pack, then we have people here like kstew who stay quiet until the end of the cycle and start to whine about the time after theyve waited a month & cant stay still for a few hours, If your gunna whine .. Do it right not when the maps are two hours away .
Smh , people are acting like its their last day on earth or something “OOOOOH i have to go to bed :(((( the maps arent out & ive been up all dayyy blahhh” Well noone asked you to stay up all day & wait knowing it doesnt come out til later, If you believe the “On the stroke of 12″ Myth then all hope is lost.
Tell ya what, Get on netflix, pick you out a good thriller movie watch it & by time its over Maps will be out..
Thats what im doing at least, No rushing on Sonys part take your time, This is a privilege, not a neccessity alot of people tend to forget that , They believe theyre owed something, when truly that is far from the case.

+ Unique_Chaos_07 on July 28th, 2011 at 12:33 am said:

@ Plague…Totally agreed!! I was getting ready to post the same thing! Great minds think alike lol

+ WyteBoy84 on July 28th, 2011 at 12:34 am said:

@Unique, the maps are there in the store…

+ saulmrfc20 on July 28th, 2011 at 12:34 am said:

Come on is 3:40 and no map pack .,,,

+ JiVe_azz_TuRkEy on July 28th, 2011 at 12:35 am said:

@everyone that could read the blog correctly…… you should add me. hahahaha

+ PlaGue_Got3nkz on July 28th, 2011 at 12:35 am said:

Lol, people act like theyre owed teh maps or something , this is a privilege, not a neccessity..
Watch a movie, ride a scooter , bake a cake.. Do something productive, too many kids twiddling their thumbs at the clock waiting for it, Time goes by faster when having fun they say .

+ Unique_Chaos_07 on July 28th, 2011 at 12:35 am said:

@Wyteboy…no their not :(

+ WyteBoy84 on July 28th, 2011 at 12:36 am said:

I know, i jus wanted to F with ya, lol…

+ Unique_Chaos_07 on July 28th, 2011 at 12:37 am said:

Soooo not nice lol

+ Cyrus_Gamer on July 28th, 2011 at 12:37 am said:

@saulmrfc20 they are not coming out for another hour and 20 minutes, did you not read the article? at all? its like thee first line

+ Unique_Chaos_07 on July 28th, 2011 at 12:37 am said:

Heres a thought for people who are just sitting there waiting for the map pack to show up….try to LIMBO demo..it;s actually kinda cool :P

+ saulmrfc20 on July 28th, 2011 at 12:38 am said:

Noooo to much I wild buy me a xbox or wii

+ WyteBoy84 on July 28th, 2011 at 12:38 am said:

Lmao, im sorry @Unique

+ smokeCHITOWN on July 28th, 2011 at 12:39 am said:

GOD LOL want to play Shangri-La. Anyone from Chicago if there is send me a msg for zombies or anybody want to play online or zombies.

+ WyteBoy84 on July 28th, 2011 at 12:39 am said:

I think ima go waist an hour and play some FFA OR sumthn…. if n e body wanna join, Holla at me…

+ Cyrus_Gamer on July 28th, 2011 at 12:40 am said:

Well you know what im going to do till the maps come out? PLAY MOAR COD!!! and get off this *Bleeeep*ing forum with people asking when the maps are coming out or saying its past 2am and its not out lol See everyone online playing ANNIHILATION

+ skywire15 on July 28th, 2011 at 12:40 am said:

canada did not get the map pack yet its bull

+ saulmrfc20 on July 28th, 2011 at 12:40 am said:

@Cyrus_gamer you are telling me that ther are coming like 4:30??

+ WyteBoy84 on July 28th, 2011 at 12:41 am said:

im right next to chicago, and i Fux wit some zombies… Call of tha dead is my shyt… lol

+ PlaGue_Got3nkz on July 28th, 2011 at 12:41 am said:

@Unique
Yeah, i mean .. Its kinda annoying.. Ive been waiting too but you dont see me here posting my anguish on how the maps should be here already. People should really be considerate to other people and go cry somewhere AWAY from a public blog. People have all this energy to write paragraph on paragraph of negativity.. They could be usign this to do jumping jacks.. or pick up some litter, Something productive . But im going to sit here and continue to see people flow by my comments and yell some more about how theyve been waiting their whole lives on this map pack .

+ Unique_Chaos_07 on July 28th, 2011 at 12:43 am said:

Gonna go play some FFA with Wyte I think…Although this is veryyy entertaining :P

+ scorpionov4 on July 28th, 2011 at 12:43 am said:

im soo happy i live in seattle so i dont have to stay up till 5 :D

+ JiVe_azz_TuRkEy on July 28th, 2011 at 12:43 am said:

i suggest getting on netflix, and watching some south park, the poor and stupid episode. so funny. hahaha

+ Abyss_Rises on July 28th, 2011 at 12:43 am said:

Looking forward to the new maps; especially the new zombie map,l but Dan will us common folk who only purchased the standard Black Ops game ever get the opportunity to purchase the original World At War zombie maps for Black Ops? Sorry if i’m beating a dead horse here.

I had a look online and the asking price for the prestige and hardened versions are more than excessive,considering the ones I have seen are saying that “Code may have already been used”.

Dan Amrich's Avatar

+ Dan Amrich on July 28th, 2011 at 8:35 pm said:

Not beating a dead horse at all, Jive. I’ve asked and haven’t heard one way or the other what the plan is with that, Plenty of people who couldn’t get the limited edition want it, and I think it makes sense. I will keep asking.

+ SirLody on July 28th, 2011 at 12:44 am said:

UNIQUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL

+ Unique_Chaos_07 on July 28th, 2011 at 12:44 am said:

Lody!! :P Love ya!

+ WyteBoy84 on July 28th, 2011 at 12:45 am said:

Well im bout to jump in sumthn right about now Unique,

+ zeker1 on July 28th, 2011 at 12:45 am said:

these map packs gotta b better than the previous pack!!!!!

+ SirLody on July 28th, 2011 at 12:45 am said:

Love ya too :3 lol

+ Unique_Chaos_07 on July 28th, 2011 at 12:45 am said:

Be there in a few! Lody, Join us in FFA!

+ SirLody on July 28th, 2011 at 12:46 am said:

on me way

+ WyteBoy84 on July 28th, 2011 at 12:46 am said:

Ight, Cool…

+ scorpionov4 on July 28th, 2011 at 12:46 am said:

hey i wanna be in the convo. can i join????????

+ I_SuB-ZeRo_l on July 28th, 2011 at 12:47 am said:

its 2:46 were i live i have to wait till 4am and im just watching some good old dragon ball z kai episodes to pass the time too bad i cant use my original account i got banned for a week :/ it sucks but heyyy its better than losing my account forever cause i got hacked

+ lorna_1979 on July 28th, 2011 at 12:48 am said:

Does anyone know what time they are due in the united kingdom? :)

+ PlaGue_Got3nkz on July 28th, 2011 at 12:49 am said:

@Subzero
Thats tragic, It’ll be back before you know it .

+ scorpionov4 on July 28th, 2011 at 12:49 am said:

everything in uk comes out two days later.

+ PlaGue_Got3nkz on July 28th, 2011 at 12:51 am said:

@Lorna
My best guess is about a hour and 10 mins from now, Well tahts when USA is getting it,
Cross your fingers ! Thats why im glad i live in the Red white & blue .

+ lorna_1979 on July 28th, 2011 at 12:54 am said:

@PlaGue_Got3nkz Thank you.. i will just have to wait like everyone else :)

+ bam37 on July 28th, 2011 at 12:55 am said: