PS4 - The Last of Us Remastered

Journey and PSN Indie Developers Take Center Stage at Comic-Con Panel

Kellee Santiago's Avatar + Posted by Kellee Santiago on Jul 27, 2011 // President and co-founder of thatgamecompany

Hey, PlayStation Bloggers! I wanted to share this highlight reel from the panel Jenova Chen and myself were on last week at Comic-Con (it was the first time attending for both of us!). We had a great time interacting with new and old fans, as we also had a playable demo in the main exhibit hall at the Sony PlayStation booth. We gave away a bunch of Journey t-shirts as well, so if you are one of those people, please show us a photo of you wearing it on our Facebook page – we love when our players represent! And if you weren’t able to get a shirt at the show, follow us on Facebook for more chances to win one.

The panel at Comic Con was hosted by independent developer, Nathan Vella of Capybara Games, and featured other indie PSN developers Mike Burns, President of Fuel Entertainment (Sideway), Ulf Anderson, Overkill Software & Co-Creator of Payday, and Vander Caballero, Creative Director of Minority, Inc. (Papo & Yo). I felt like I learned just as much as the audience after our discussion regarding how we each got into game development, and where the inspiration for our games came from. We also got to show some old concept paintings Jenova did years ago before even flOw had begun development, evoking the themes and ideas that would eventually become “Journey.”

SDCC11: Journey and PSN Indie Dev PanelSDCC11: Journey and PSN Indie Dev Panel

Thanks again to everyone who came up to us and said “hi” at the show – we hope to see you again soon!

22 Comments

+ Trieloth on July 27th, 2011 at 9:10 am said:

Oh my god I want a journey shirt but of course i want the game to!! Cant wait to play it!

+ RE_Player on July 27th, 2011 at 9:21 am said:

One of my most anticipated games this years. Very good Comic Con coverage too.

+ TimChamp on July 27th, 2011 at 9:26 am said:

3rd

+ FullMetalGear on July 27th, 2011 at 9:28 am said:

Great showcasing, all the indie developers together, seeing different peoples views on the industry.

I know exactly what Jenova is talking about. Not just with World of Warcraft, but in games in general. A good reason I don’t like online play is people talking too much. Even my friends invite me to a game and I don’t really enjoy even talking to them when playing. (Of course I mute people most of the time.)

I love the subtle things of games, the ambient sounds, the music, and when people talk, it just takes the feeling away that your playing at home with an audio system to enhance the audio, instead you feel like your at an arcade place playing with lots of annoying background noise.

+ DZORMAGEN on July 27th, 2011 at 9:36 am said:

Please give us release dates for these PSN games so we know how to use our money when buying games.

+ renomano on July 27th, 2011 at 9:41 am said:

hadoooken

+ lisatsunami on July 27th, 2011 at 9:55 am said:

The paintings are beautiful. Jenova is a very talented artist, it’s great he uses that talent for gaming rather than static arts.

+ Butters360 on July 27th, 2011 at 10:33 am said:

Loved this panel. I can’t remember how many times I played the Journey demo. It’s so addictive! Love the emotion of being alone that the game gives you. The music sucks you into the atmosphere. I want this game so bad!

P.S. Thanks for the Journey t-shirt and taking the time to explain the game to me :)

+ Taznorris on July 27th, 2011 at 11:02 am said:

Journey looks pretty good, as does from dust.

+ GET2DAACHOPPAAAA on July 27th, 2011 at 11:02 am said:

I hope this game lives up to the hype. Day one buy for me.

+ GET2DAACHOPPAAAA on July 27th, 2011 at 11:09 am said:

Is there at least a time -frame for this game’s release?

+ gumi42 on July 27th, 2011 at 11:35 am said:

awesome panel, Definitely cool to hear from indie developers. I love flow and flower and can’t wait to check out Journey.

+ ghamdikh1 on July 27th, 2011 at 11:40 am said:

Deer Kellee

why don’t you officially be an exclusive PlayStation developer and join the PlayStation family like (Naughty Dog –
Polyphony Digital -Zipper Interactive -Evolution Studios -Bigbig Studios -Guerrilla Games – Media Molecule – Novarama – Double Eleven Limited and others ?????

+ Butters360 on July 27th, 2011 at 11:42 am said:

So umm Kellee, how can we buy one of Jenova’s Journey concept arts? They’re all amazing.

+ WelmoscaBR on July 27th, 2011 at 12:57 pm said:

For God I want this game right know…just cant wait…awesome job,awesome game.

+ mcbuttz78 on July 27th, 2011 at 2:20 pm said:

A very nice panel of devs. nice and young the future of psn??>// all these guys speak the truth and have a great vision for their brand and concepts..

With that said why not left hem release some art for ps3 screen savers or wallpapers. Aks em for us jeff.

Oh also why not have little contest here on the blog to win a jounry autograph’d shirt as well as other autographed shirts and etc from these nice talented devs @ jeff

+ NEWBLOOD12 on July 27th, 2011 at 3:00 pm said:

Comments are the lifeblood of the PlayStation.Blog, and we encourage you to keep the conversation going in a relevant, constructive way. Remember: no swearing, fighting, or using the comments section of this blog to be “first!” Think about what you’re saying before you press “Submit.” If you’d like to talk about something off topic, click here for our Forums, or here to submit a new idea.

+ pooju5 on July 27th, 2011 at 3:31 pm said:

i want MMMMIIIIIINNNNNEEEEEEEECCCCCCCRRRRAAAAAAFFFFFFTTTTTTTTTT!

+ aquastorm on July 27th, 2011 at 4:28 pm said:

THE MAIN REASON THE XBOX 360 AND XBOX LIVE KEEP KICKING SONYS BUTT IN SALES AND POPULARITY?

THE LACK OF CROSS GAME VOICE CHAT AND A PARTY SYSTEM ON THE PS3!!!!!!

WHEN WILL SONY STOP IGNORING THE FACTS AND RESCUE THE PS3 FROM AN EARLY DEMISE BY IMPLEMENTING THESE MISSING CRUCIAL COMMUNITY FEATURES?

IS CROSS GAME VOICE CHAT NOT POSSIBLE ON THE PS3? WHY DON’T YOU COME CLEAN WITH THE COMMUNITY SONY AND ADDRESS THIS GIGANTIC PINK ELEPHANT IN THE ROOM?

+ Darkpen on July 27th, 2011 at 10:17 pm said:

I must say that I totally understand what Mr. Chen means by there being a need to expand and fully explore the landscape of what gaming is capable of, instead of retreading the same roads over and over (i.e. trendy genres like FPS right now, or mascot platformers in the 90′s). His description of the physicality behind trust and holding hands within the painting was really something else as well.

I think that its with this kind of attitude that really makes the Sony and Playstation brand that much more awesome, as far as the WWS coordination and Indie pub stuff goes. I’m super excited for Journey and Papo Y Yo. Who would have thought that someone would make a game that acts as an allegory for the relation between a son and his alcohol abusing father, let alone in my lifetime? To even touch on such a subject commands my attention.

As much as I like the concept behind Sideway, I must say that I’m not a big fan of the art. I think that they really need to offer different art styles for the main character, sort of like a character select, but based on varying street art styles.

+ Surfaced on July 28th, 2011 at 9:09 am said:

Rey, if you’re reading this, what DSLR do you shoot with? And what lenses do you most frequently use?

+ NicTyn on August 1st, 2011 at 9:18 pm said:

I simply cannot wait for them to release a release date. And for that mattter, I cannot wait for the game’s release… and then I cannot wait to buy it… and download it… and install it… and load it… and play it… IT’S SIMPLY TOO MUCH TIME TO WAIT! Btw, that comment on him making non-violent games was somewhat moot when 90% or more of the flOw player base interprets it as micro organisms eating each other alive. Last I checked, live cannibalism is violent. Great games though.