PS4 - Batman Arkham Knight

EVO 2011 Starts Tomorrow, PlayStation Home Streaming and Panel Details

Seth Killian's Avatar + Posted by Seth Killian on Jul 28, 2011 // Capcom Senior Manager, Community

EVOL Championship Series in PlayStation Home

All week long, I’ve had this strange tension in my shoulders. I was hunched up, and was even having trouble sleeping. As Comic-Con came to a close, I couldn’t figured out the source of my weird aches, until I finally realized: it’s EVO time.

EVO is the World Series of Fighting Games, and it’s this weekend, July 29th through the 31st, in Las Vegas. EVO has been running for over a decade, and has grown from a small gathering of friends into the biggest fighting-game event on the planet, with thousands of competitors and fans attending from dozens of countries (46 countries are represented this year!). The best of the best come not only to win prizes, but to claim a place in fighting game history, to earn a name, and to test themselves at the highest levels.

Crowd Shot

For fighting game fans like me, it is so exciting that my body literally starts tensing this far in advance because of what I know is to come. Wonder how little kids feel when they are on their way to Disneyland? For fighting game lovers, this is that feeling.

If you’ve always wondered why people still talk about arcades, EVO is as close as you’ll come to seeing it for yourself. It’s this big space, filled with people who are — at the same time — your friends and your enemies. You can feel the thrill, excitement, and anxiety of competition all throughout the room. Champions add to their legacies, and total unknowns walk in the door and take down some of the best in the world. EVO is a place where anything goes, and everything is possible.

People scream. They jump. They get hyped. It comes straight from the heart, because this is what we do. It’s the shared sense of excitement, anticipation, and the incredible heart that the competitors have on display, and even if it’s just pixels on a screen, you can’t help but get swept up in it.

I was competing and working at EVO for years before I came to Capcom, including a few finals appearances :)… though I never won :(…. But now, approaching it from the other side, I’m proud of everything Capcom will bring to the event in 2011. First and foremost we’ll be there with early access playable prototypes of our new fighters, including Street Fighter X Tekken, Ultimate Marvel Vs Capcom 3, and a near-final build of Street Fighter III: Third Strike Online Edition. In addition to the games, there will be a ton of Capcom staff on hand, not only to help out at the booth, but to simply watch the action. For the producers and teams that make these games, there’s no better payoff than seeing your work turn so many into grinning, screaming lunatics.

The producers on all our new fighting games are each holding their own panel (see below for full EVO 2011 panel details). For my part, I’ll be sitting down with Street Fighter legend and 2009 and 2010 champion Daigo Umehara to go in-depth on how great players make winning decisions, and how you can learn to think like they do. In the end, anyone can master the technical side of a fighting game with some practice, but it’s the mental games that separate champions from the rest of us. Apart from that, I’ll be trying to see as many of my old friends from around the world as I can, as well as tagging in to do livestream commentary on the Street Fighter and Marvel Vs Capcom 3 matches.

Oh right, the live stream! For anyone that can’t make it (registration for EVO is closed, but it’s free to attend if you’re not competing) the EVO action will be streaming live into PlayStation Home all weekend (you can also score a ton of cool EVO items and outfits for watching), leading up to finals on Sunday. Sunday features the final eight competitors, boiled down from thousands, and the excitement in the room is always through the roof, so check it out. If you aren’t able to watch from PlayStation Home, you can check out the stream on your PC here.

Ryan HartKayane

Screen shot 2011-07-28 at 10.51.41 AM

If you can’t be there or watch the whole time, Sunday is finals, and the day you do NOT want to miss. The greatest players will line up for the final showdown–who will it be this year? Two-time champion Daigo “the Beast” Umehara from Japan? The U.K.’s Ryan Hart, who defeated Daigo at the British championships? Justin Wong, one of the most dominant players in US history? Or Tokido, “the Murderface,” a vicious player strong across many titles, who also defeated US Marvel-master Justin Wong in their first meeting? Many will be watching Kayane from France, one of the strongest women in the world who has her eyes set on winning the main event, but regardless of who goes the distance, you can bet the road there will be full of surprises, tears, joy, and just plain hype.

Hope to see some of you in Vegas this weekend! It needs to come already, my body can’t take it!

EVO Panels

FRIDAY, JULY 29th

2pm: Inside the Mind of The Beast: Daigo Umehara Exposed!

Seth Killian sits down with EVO 2009 and 2010 Street Fighter champion MCZ Daigo Umehara for an in-depth discussion and review of past match highlights. You will learn to think like a Street Fighter master as they will talk over and explain the tactics, player reads, moment-by-moment thought processes, and even the mistakes that Daigo made on the road to his championship victories.

4pm: Marvel Vs. Capcom 3 Past, Present, and Future!

Capcom producer Ryota Niitsuma will share behind-the-scenes insights from the MVC3 development process and discuss thoughts on Ultimate Marvel Vs. Capcom 3 and the future direction of the Marvel Vs Capcom franchise. He will be joined by MVC3 and UMVC3 battle system designer and Capcom fighting legend Hidetoshi “Neo_G” Ishizawa (whose credits include Street Fighter III: Third Strike, Capcom Vs. SNK 2, Street Fighter Alpha 3, Darkstalkers 3, Marvel Vs. Capcom 2, and many more) to discuss the thinking behind the battle systems, and what the future might hold for everything from character balance, mechanics, and more. Fighting fans will not want to miss this rare opportunity for insight and discussion.

SATURDAY, JULY 30th

12pm: Street Fighter III: Online Edition Reinventing a Classic

This panel will feature Derek Neal (SF3:OE producer and former EVO competitor), Christian Svensson (Sr. Vice President, Capcom), and Dave Lang, CEO of Iron Galaxy (SF3:OE developer). Join them to discuss the many decisions behind bringing back a classic, and for a spirited face-to-face chat about the kinds of features *you* would like to see in future fighting games!

4pm: New Directions in Street Fighter X Tekken

The one-and-only Yoshinori Ono will be on hand to discuss recent developments and new directions for his latest production, Street Fighter X Tekken. Will the always-surprising Ono-san have some special EVO-exclusive news to share with the audience? You’ll just have to come and find out!

39 Comments

+ lostinplainsight on July 28th, 2011 at 3:48 pm said:

hey seth, will you be joining team spooky on commentary?

+ arcticjim on July 28th, 2011 at 3:55 pm said:

First Yes! But what I wanted to ask is when more PS Vita info is going to be released? When Sony, WHEN?!

+ Busca-Cabezas on July 28th, 2011 at 4:29 pm said:

PlayStation®Home citizen 4 Life!!! Woot! Woot! :D

+ Cage890 on July 28th, 2011 at 4:32 pm said:

Woohoo!! 2nd =D
PS Home Casino being delayed again?.. no biggie, my ps3 died on monday.. (thanks Sony).. fml. ಠ_ಠ
So won’t be playing anything til I get a new one. EVO 2011 looks cool, but I doubt the rewards are anything spectacular. Still a good update, nice job.

+ Cage890 on July 28th, 2011 at 4:34 pm said:

@Busca-Cabezas ಠ__ಠ; dammit, got me by 3 minutes..

+ Mobius2525 on July 28th, 2011 at 4:35 pm said:

Wish i was there.

+ Transporter47 on July 28th, 2011 at 4:38 pm said:

So i’m going to Vegas this weekend so can i just walk in to watch or i can’t go in at all how does it work?

+ JAHoE on July 28th, 2011 at 4:49 pm said:

oh 2 da my
!_!

+ Busca-Cabezas on July 28th, 2011 at 4:59 pm said:

@Cage890 3 minutes? That’s allot… Don’t u think? :P

+ SHINSPIKES on July 28th, 2011 at 5:26 pm said:

One of the greatest competitions evaarrr!! Wish I was as good as them. My old hands can barely do a three hit combo anymore.

+ jecs90 on July 28th, 2011 at 5:41 pm said:

marvel rules!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

+ jecs90 on July 28th, 2011 at 5:41 pm said:

capcom rocks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

+ jecs90 on July 28th, 2011 at 5:45 pm said:

playstation rewards??????????????

+ Kchow23 on July 28th, 2011 at 6:58 pm said:

Will it be on G4TV again? or quite possibly a link here on the blog?

+ ein_nineteenth on July 28th, 2011 at 7:10 pm said:

Quick question, to get the Evo items, do you have to watch the full videos are they randomly awarded?

+ Solid_Fish36 on July 28th, 2011 at 9:42 pm said:

@arcticjim and you were the one that first comments were for babies…you’re just happy cuz it’s a big topic
aren’t ya?

I am also looking forward to this.

+ Taznorris on July 28th, 2011 at 10:26 pm said:

Lol, no soul calibur 4?

+ christreignz on July 28th, 2011 at 10:35 pm said:

LOL look at all those nerds!

+ headronefish on July 28th, 2011 at 10:48 pm said:

my body is ready.

+ DCS-Tekken on July 28th, 2011 at 10:50 pm said:

nerds? whatcha talkin’ about Willis?

+ WelmoscaBR on July 28th, 2011 at 11:57 pm said:

its gonna be freakin awesome

+ NahDoot on July 29th, 2011 at 12:33 am said:

I had no idea there was a SF3:OE coming, I’ve really been out of the loop. Hopefully there’s a CvS2:OE and a Darkstalkers:OE planned with GGPO. I still have a Dreamcast and an import PS2 for these old fighters.

+ Smo5000 on July 29th, 2011 at 4:35 am said:

I’ll definitely be getting SF3:OE. The UMvC3 announcement upset me though, i wont be buying disc-based releases from Capcom again…they’ll only re-release it 6 months later with “enhanced” content.

+ Taniuchita on July 29th, 2011 at 5:55 am said:

Awsome!
i’m going to be there! but only my spirit, my body gets stuck here ¬¬

+ Conrad_Max on July 29th, 2011 at 6:37 am said:

As Home is in beta, this is a great opportunity for us to give our opinions on the result of the live streaming broadcast on the official Home forums. With our opinions, life streaming will be improved and eventually become a regular feature. This is just the beginning. Eventually we may have award presentations, interviews, sport events, special news reports relating to games and more and even a bunch of other programs for Home.

Come join us this weekend. Come be a part of history.

+ YungShep on July 29th, 2011 at 7:10 am said:

kinda funny thery’re doing a panel to ask what “we” would wanna see in future fighting games. Well, if its like that. Capcom the blueprint is Mortal Kombat, include all the features, a few of your own tweaks and just stop making 4 iterations of the same game within the same year.

+ eilegz on July 29th, 2011 at 8:38 am said:

what auditorium? wondering

+ zech678 on July 29th, 2011 at 9:18 am said:

miss lag hell

+ TJF588 on July 29th, 2011 at 9:54 am said:

Something’s showing in Auditorium 1, but no rewards are popping up. I’d be down for watching, but since I have night shifts all tonight and tomorrow night, I have to turn in at noon CST. So, in it for the items, really…

+ TJF588 on July 29th, 2011 at 9:56 am said:

Ah! It went up! Now, to run through for my sisters and bro-in-law.

+ DazeOfWar on July 29th, 2011 at 2:49 pm said:

I’ll try to catch some of this tomorrow. Hope I can.

+ JonJonXD on July 29th, 2011 at 3:44 pm said:

the stream just doesn’t work well. I had to reload it 4 times within 20 minutes of watching.

+ Chase167 on July 29th, 2011 at 8:32 pm said:

the streaming sucks
not going to waste no more time in there
cheap trick by sony

+ dojikyo on July 29th, 2011 at 8:40 pm said:

Any news on improving the ports to the PS3? While the additional input lag in SF4 might not be noticeable for most people (myself included), the slowdown in mvc3 was pretty noticeable just on its own.

+ Street_Killaz on July 29th, 2011 at 9:28 pm said:

Chase167 do u have wal mart internet maybe for the lag!!! HOME does have good streaming!!!

+ Destined_Chaos on July 29th, 2011 at 11:25 pm said:

@Street_Killaz
Chase167 is right. The streaming is slow and choppy in ps home. Stream is perfect on a computer.
Wast of time in regard to ps home.

+ Conrad_Max on July 31st, 2011 at 8:20 am said:

Home is testing live streaming for future broadcasts. It’s been clearly stated. For those of us who are viewing this in Home, please leave your feedback here: http://community.us.playstation.com/thread/3879154?tstart=0

Live streaming is here to stay. With our constructive criticism it can be improved. Live stream will include, in the near future, live broadcasts of breaking gaming news, award shows, contests, interviews and other programs. Streaming videos can lead to watching movies and other videos at the same time -meaning what I see on the screen will be what someone else is seeing even if we walked into the Theater at different times…

Sure we can see the event via the computer, but watching it in Home is to promote, not only feedback for the testing, but also a shared Community event. Home is a Community and it’s a good thing to have the option to share a live event together.

Rock on!

+ T-Cal on July 31st, 2011 at 12:10 pm said:

@Chase167 – Wzup, Gaming Goons!
First thank you for the virtual items, and I’m glad that PS Home was a sponsor of EVO, but the stream was terrible. I dont understand. E3′s stream was great, and the official EVO channel was ran without problems unlike last year(Ortiz vs Daigo). Please make improvements for next year.

+ gamelover2 on July 31st, 2011 at 5:09 pm said:

I forgot the EVO was this weekend, I had so many things on my mind and games I been playing