PS4-Watch_Dogs

Starhawk Panel Puts the Finishing Touches on Comic-Con

Eric Levine's Avatar + Posted by Eric Levine on Jul 28, 2011 // SCEA PR Manager

Hey guys! Comic-Con 2011 just wrapped up this past weekend so for those of you couldn’t make it to the show, I wanted to share a highlight reel from our Starhawk panel discussion, which took place on Sunday in San Diego. The panel, titled…”The Evolution from Warhawk to Starhawk: The New Universe that is Starhawk and the Characters Behind the Conflict,” detailed the creative process that LightBox Interactive and SCEA’s Santa Monica Studio have gone through to make Starhawk a reality, including the development of an all-new story and the establishment of main character, Emmett Graves.

Under the expert moderation of IGN.com’s Greg Miller, the panelists included: Starhawk’s Creative Director — Lars DeVore (LightBox Interactive), Senior Producer — Harvard Bonin (SCEA Santa Monica Studio), Studio Director — John Hight (SCEA Santa Monica Studio), and Starhawk’s Writer — Koen Wooten. You can watch the video of the full panel – nearly 50 minutes long – courtesy of GameSpot.com. Here’s also a great write up by Kevin Kelly of G4 who was on-site with us.

Thanks again to everyone who attended the panel, we really appreciate your support! Stay tuned for more Starhawk updates as we get closer to Gamescom and PAX.

+ Cyris on July 28th, 2011 at 12:13 pm said:

2012 belongs to Starhawk.

Eric Levine's Avatar

+ Harvard Bonin on July 28th, 2011 at 3:46 pm said:

thank you!

+ Man-is-Obsolete on July 28th, 2011 at 12:43 pm said:

Can’t wait!! Now show me some Space combat right NOW!!! If you can’t that’s cool just send me a beta invite.

Eric Levine's Avatar

+ Harvard Bonin on July 28th, 2011 at 3:49 pm said:

We are showing our space combat at Gamescon in Germany, Aug 17. Look for more info around then! A new vehicle reveal too!

+ Lolsa1 on July 28th, 2011 at 12:47 pm said:

I played the demo at Comic-Con it was sooooooooo FUN

Eric Levine's Avatar

+ Harvard Bonin on July 28th, 2011 at 3:47 pm said:

what was your favorite part?

+ KidCommando on July 28th, 2011 at 12:51 pm said:

Starhawk, my most anticipated game of next year. Sorry to all the other games I won’t get a chance to play.

+ R0Bavalos on July 28th, 2011 at 12:51 pm said:

StarHawk YEAHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

+ BLEACH-Fan on July 28th, 2011 at 1:14 pm said:

This game needs more recognition

Eric Levine's Avatar

+ Harvard Bonin on July 28th, 2011 at 3:50 pm said:

We’re getting there. Lots of time to go

+ nYcFrEeWiLL82 on July 28th, 2011 at 1:19 pm said:

i hope theres a good collectors edition for this game….it deserves it…or atleast we deserve it :p STARHAWK 2012 FTW!!!!

+ Zacky-V-A7X on July 28th, 2011 at 1:43 pm said:

Starhawk=Awesome

+ WelmoscaBR on July 28th, 2011 at 1:46 pm said:

starhawk is a must have with no doubt…the protagonist is a beast…starhawk already own 2012

+ yami930 on July 28th, 2011 at 1:52 pm said:

Starhawk looks like its gonna be an awesome game, I sure know Warhawk was, because I still play it every once in a while, but theres really only one thing I would complain about for Starhawk and its the melee system. I really really really am bothered by the fact that melee in Starhawk is changed to a button to knife (clicking R3). Warhawk was unique-ish and really fun for having the knife as an equipable weapon, and they have taken that out. I used to love sneaking around with only the knife, it was lethal if I got close enough but made me vulnerable. I also had a lot of fun Knife battles, and I got the GGL tournament knife for participating in the tournament. If only I can ask the developers to reconsider their melee changes, maybe have click R3 to hit another player with the butt of the gun, and maybe make that 2 hits to kill a person, and have an equipable knife for those who want to use it, and make that a 1 hit kill.

+ OKelly006 on July 28th, 2011 at 1:59 pm said:

Starhawk is gonna be AMAZING, no doubt about it. This may be unrelated but where the hell is Sorcery!? Was it cancelled? There hasn’t been any info on it since last E3. Could we get some info sony?

+ D-Squad3 on July 28th, 2011 at 2:19 pm said:

STARHAAAAWK!!! I want the beta! And a Starhawk statue!

Eric Levine's Avatar

+ Harvard Bonin on July 28th, 2011 at 3:48 pm said:

Ahhh the Beta….yes, we’ll have one and we have a target date window…but I cannot tell you…

+ DROPGRAVY on July 28th, 2011 at 2:23 pm said:

HURRY UP!! ,………….. but take your time. XD

+ DeadSpider on July 28th, 2011 at 2:45 pm said:

I think the camera man uses Pro Flight

+ collinator11 on July 28th, 2011 at 3:29 pm said:

This game looks amazing! Can’t wait for a beta/demo, even though it may be a long ways away.

Eric Levine's Avatar

+ Harvard Bonin on July 28th, 2011 at 3:48 pm said:

So many kind words of support here! Thanks everyone! We really appreciate it!

+ lisatsunami on July 28th, 2011 at 4:07 pm said:

Can you tell we fanboys & girls really ‘preciate exclusives? Keep up the great work, it’s why we love our Playstation, Psp and hopefully soon, Vita. I know, you can’t talk about that date either ;-)

+ lisatsunami on July 28th, 2011 at 4:13 pm said:

@ Harvard:

Can you tell us fanboyz & girlz really appreciate exclusives?

Keep up the awesome job, it’s why we love our Playstations, PSP, & hopefully soon, Vita.
I know, you can’t talk about that date, either ;-)

+ poodude on July 28th, 2011 at 4:29 pm said:

I hope this game sells better than Warhawk did, you guys really deserve it.

+ rockinjs864 on July 28th, 2011 at 4:54 pm said:

@Harvard will the beta be for plus members?no date needed

Eric Levine's Avatar

+ Harvard Bonin on July 28th, 2011 at 6:57 pm said:

That is TBD. Our first objective is to take care of the Warhawk veterans. No doubt we’ll find a way to take care of the PSN Plus members too

+ Shocking4U on July 28th, 2011 at 4:56 pm said:

BEYOND! really looking foward to starhawk.
can you put greg on the game over? cause i think it will really improve sales!

+ AleXx2626 on July 28th, 2011 at 5:10 pm said:

BEYOWNED!!!

+ joshp18 on July 28th, 2011 at 5:56 pm said:

This game is going to be awesome! I am a HUGE Warhawk fan (450+ hours logged) and although I was skeptical about Starhawk from the start, all the videos and hearing these developer interviews has really gotten me out of that “well it’s not exactly like Warhawk” mindset to allow me to see the true potential behind this game. It looks like it plays phenomenally well and I can not WAIT to get my hands on the beta!

@Harvard…any news on WHEN we’ll hear what the beta date is? I’m hoping that will be announced August 17th as well? :)

+ platanasos on July 28th, 2011 at 5:59 pm said:

I`ll put down warhawk as soon as I get Starhawk.

+ platanasos on July 28th, 2011 at 6:02 pm said:

I would like to have this beta right now!

+ trustter on July 28th, 2011 at 6:37 pm said:

Day 1 for me.
Please add Clan Support!

Eric Levine's Avatar

+ Harvard Bonin on July 28th, 2011 at 6:56 pm said:

ok, added!

+ Airwalkinman17 on July 28th, 2011 at 8:44 pm said:

Eager to play me some Starhawk. Warhawk was BEAST. I joined the party late, but still thoroughly enjoyed the hell out of that game. Keep up the great work LBI :D

+ ClassicSpyroFan on July 28th, 2011 at 8:49 pm said:

awsome!!!! this game looks so cool, and I love warhawk and still play it to this day!!! Can’t wait to see the space battles!!!!

+ TheGuardianFID on July 28th, 2011 at 9:44 pm said:

I can’t wait for this game!!! 8)

+ pat67894 on July 28th, 2011 at 10:51 pm said:

I have a question. Have you guys thought about making mappacks?

+ Somnacin7 on July 29th, 2011 at 12:06 am said:

I cannot wait for Starhawk! Warhawk was the game that turned me on to the PS3! And this time I won’t join the party late.

+ DarkEde on July 29th, 2011 at 2:06 am said:

Okay you wrote that for the beta you want to take care of the Warhawk veterans. What exactly constitutes a Warhawk vet? How well known one is in the community? One’s gaming ability? I’m a decent gamer at best but I’ve been playing since July 2008 and absolutely want to be a part of the Starhawk beta.

+ MoeRonimoe on July 29th, 2011 at 3:55 am said:

Can’t wait for this … and space battles 8)
Just wondering, are those outcast guys customisable? because they all look kinda the same. Is it like in resistance1 multiplayer where your whole team is some random monster? Is this the future of the warhawk universe or is there no connection between the two (would’ve loved to get a bit more detail on the warhawk conflict)? Will there be more colorful maps?

Anyway, keep up the good work. :)

+ Nates4Christ on July 29th, 2011 at 7:44 am said:

Sony is such IGN fanboys using Greg as the host. But hey I enjoyed it…BEYOND! Also can’t wait for the game I am a huge Gundam and mech fan and I am so excited about the hawks turning into the mechs. But poor gametrailers.com, gamespot, and any other site who don’t get this much playstation support.

+ MarinoBrea on July 29th, 2011 at 8:50 am said:

SONY needs to get the word out for their games. Starhawk is going to be literally not of this Earth, but I can’t help thinking that for the commoner shooter lover (COD, yeah) it looks daunting and complicated when in reality it is not. Advertise your games Sony! Let people know there’s stuff like Twisted Metal, Starhawk and Uncharted 3 with awesome multiplayer that’s it’s a lot more than repetitive run and shoot.

+ wudais on July 29th, 2011 at 9:37 am said:

Agreed this game seems like a cross between eureka seven and gears of war which makes it a better game and an interesting anime concept. Also I like how there’s 4 player coop even offline that’s cool.

+ SkyXhawk on July 29th, 2011 at 9:47 am said:

Just worried about the flight modes.. they look dumbed down :/

+ HeavyToka on July 29th, 2011 at 11:07 am said:

BEYOND!! Can’t wait for Starhawk; it looks amazing!

+ baronvonrofl on July 29th, 2011 at 12:00 pm said:

To all of you Lightbox folks, have you thought of making a collectors edition with that fancy Starhawk gun included? That would be legit. :)

+ leukoplast on July 29th, 2011 at 6:39 pm said:

Starhawk is sounding good, it’s a shame matchmaking is going to ruin this game. Learn from other developers mistakes Lightbox, scrap matchmaking and bring back server lists. Or your game WILL fail, and it will fail hard.

+ dirtyd89 on July 29th, 2011 at 10:38 pm said:

I’m liking Starhawk a lot right now.
Glad to see Light Box are making this game more balanced, fresh and unique to multiplayer.
Single player also looks cool.
I’ll be honest I got my ass handed to me in Warhawk a lot but still had fun.
Hopefully with a lot of the balancing both offensively, defensively and game play wise will make Starhawk a real contender for GOTY in 2012.
Keep up the great work guys.
:D

+ Gupu25 on July 30th, 2011 at 11:52 am said:

will this game be available as a download from the PSN, or only retail?

+ MadMeat001 on July 30th, 2011 at 12:09 pm said:

I respect you guys already! seriously you don’t seem like another dev and publisher that only try to pesk us to buy new DLC in order to get the full game like EA do, and the game looks like it’s gonna be memorable :D
LIGHTBOX AND SANTA MONICA FOREVER! :D

+ MadMeat001 on July 30th, 2011 at 12:10 pm said:

By the way I don’t know if this is up to you guys but I want a Downhill domination sequel :D

+ AK-1001 on July 31st, 2011 at 8:17 am said:

will there be split screen on ranked games cause that would be cool