PS4 - Destiny

PSN PLAY Delivers Action Games with Special Bonuses

Pierre Gravereau's Avatar + Posted by Pierre Gravereau on Aug 05, 2011 // Director, Digital Distribution

We’re excited to introduce a new PlayStation Network event: PLAY. PLAY is a brand-new annual program, where we’re bringing you four of the season’s hottest PlayStation Network action titles. With every purchase of a PLAY title in the PlayStation Store throughout the duration of the program, you’ll receive a separate piece of DLC for each game, plus a new theme with every pre-order. If these incentives aren’t enough, if you’re 18 years or older and purchase all four PLAY titles in the PlayStation Store, you’ll get a voucher code for PAYDAY: The Heist as a bonus gift. And, PlayStation Plus subscribers will get an automatic 20% off every purchase.

Pre-orders will be available for all four PLAY titles starting next week on August 9 in the PlayStation Store. Remember, in order to qualify to receive PAYDAY: The Heist as a bonus gift, your purchases must be made by September 19, 2011.

PR_PSN_PLAY_BANNER_5games

PlayStation Network PLAY is going to be an annual program. Here is the 2011 line-up:

August 23: The PLAY program kicks off with Capcom’s highly-anticipated Street Fighter III Third Strike Online Edition, available to pre-order through August 18, 2011. This action-fighting title features 20 playable characters, HD graphics, more than 200 pieces of unlockable content, more than 100 trials and more than 100 challenges When Street Fighter III Third Strike Online Edition is purchased during the PLAY promotion, purchasers will be able to unlock GILL, the self-proclaimed god, without having to beat the game with every character, as day-one DLC. All pre-orders will also receive a Capcom-produced theme. Street Fighter III Third Strike Online Edition will be $14.99.

August 30: Hothead Studios’ The Baconing will be available to pre-order through August 25, 2011. This action-RPG title is the third in the popular DeathSpank series. Attempt to defeat the Anti-Spank and his army of Cyborques, before they cast an evil shadow over Spanktopia. Discover exciting new worlds and battle hordes of enemies as you search to unlock the secret within the Fires of Bacon. When The Baconing is purchased during the PLAY promotion, purchasers will receive an additional co-op character, Roesha – One Bad Mutha. All pre-orders will also receive a static theme, exclusive to PLAY. The Baconing will be $14.99.

September 6: Majesco Entertainment’s BloodRayne: Betrayal will be available to pre-order through September 1, 2011. This 2D side-scrolling platformer features 15 bloodthirsty levels where Rayne attempts to infiltrate a treacherous castle, take out a fiendish horde and stop an evil vampire massacre. When BloodRayne: Betrayal is purchased during the PLAY promotion, purchasers will receive a BloodRayne: Betrayal virtual item for their PlayStation Home avatar and an exclusive dynamic theme. In addition, all pre-orders will also receive a static theme exclusive to PLAY. BloodRayne: Betrayal will be $14.99.

September 13: The SEGA title Renegade Ops will be available to pre-order through September 8, 2011.This top-down, driving shooter from SEGA features a huge variety of vehicles, guns and endless enemies. The game features Sandbox-style missions, so there are many different ways to play. When Renegade Ops is purchased through PLAY, purchasers will receive a Vehicle & Character Pack with two new vehicles and special weapons. All pre-orders will also receive a static theme, exclusive to PLAY. Renegade Ops will be $14.99.

Bonus gift: PAYDAY: The Heist. This gritty, first-person shooter from Sony Online Entertainment lets players take on the role of a hardened career criminal executing intense, dynamic heists in constant pursuit of the next “big score.” A voucher code for PAYDAY: The Heist will be provided as a bonus gift to PSN users 18 years and older that purchased all four PLAY titles, for redemption when the game releases. The game can also be pre-ordered separately starting September 20, 2011, and all pre-orders will receive a static theme. PAYDAY: The Heist will be $19.99.

What gamer doesn’t want to get more action? Get ready because PlayStation Network PLAY pre-orders start next Tuesday, August 9.

PAGE 1 3 4 5

+ Gnordy on August 6th, 2011 at 1:30 pm said:

@178 This is really nothing like plus. It is just a buy 4 get 1 free promotion. Plus is a membership that allows you to get various services, games and discounts for an annual fee.

Really don’t understand how anyone could complain, it is kind of silly to get mad because a promotion does not offer exactly what you want. I am not interested in any of these games, but I hope it is successful, because if they were games I liked, I would be all over the promo. Just happy to see more sales and promotions, increases the likelihood something I want will be available in the future.

+ Nano1124 on August 6th, 2011 at 1:50 pm said:

Can you give us an example?

+ Jinpachi120 on August 6th, 2011 at 2:48 pm said:

They started with a good idea but im not a plus member, like alot of other members, so they should make a deal that’s efficient for non plus members and then only sweeten the deal for plus members, but not so much that we non plus members have to feel obligated to pay for a plus membership to be apart of the deal. also there is a small, almost unsatisfactory, variety of genre of games on this play deal if u want to make some money off of your loyal customers you need to give a better variety or a larger choice of games for a special deal like this. good idea just a little to lazy on the follow up guys.keep tryin

Pierre Gravereau's Avatar

+ Morgan Haro on August 8th, 2011 at 4:44 pm said:

You don’t need Plus to get the free gift with purchase. So for example, SF3, get one of the DLC characters free. Renegade Ops, get DLC add-on content, free. No Plus subscription necessary! =)

+ Heavenly_king on August 6th, 2011 at 4:00 pm said:

174 (antkid35) is being a jerk…….. ¬_¬ (looking at comments rules on the right side)

+ davidjaim on August 6th, 2011 at 4:40 pm said:

Now i want to be again PSNplus member….

+ DarkShadow667 on August 6th, 2011 at 5:03 pm said:

Soooo, I can Spend $60 on games I don’t want to get one I don’t really care about free, or I can buy the one I don’t really care about, if I happen to care about it, for $20? hmm… choices, choices… throw Chrono Cross in and I would buy all 5! otherwise, I’d say, meh.

+ YISEL12 on August 6th, 2011 at 5:31 pm said:

this is only for 18yrs and older why should we be exiteded if were younger y not come up with something we all like

+ HeLLeVeN11 on August 6th, 2011 at 6:13 pm said:

Just added a 50$ card for this great promo. Thumbs up for + 20% discount.

+ spock_elvis on August 6th, 2011 at 6:49 pm said:

We’re being asked to pre-order downloadable titles? Why?

I mean… just… why?

+ that-acmilan-guy on August 6th, 2011 at 7:00 pm said:

I like the idea, but please next time make the selection bigger. Is this the only lineup of PLAY this year?

+ Fatique on August 6th, 2011 at 7:12 pm said:

Meh… I won’t get any of these to be honest.

I have to save up for Modern Warfare 3, Battlefield 3, and NHL 12.

I can’t even afford those. :(

+ nyobzoo on August 6th, 2011 at 7:20 pm said:

honestly, since I have a plus subscription, so I get 20% off making them $12, I was getting SF3s and BloodRayne, skipping the other 2 and getting PayDay but seeing how PayDay is $20, I might as well buy the other 2 games for $24 (an extra $4) and get PayDay for free

+ ViolentGene on August 6th, 2011 at 9:09 pm said:

SF and Baconing no, Bloodrayne maybe, but Renegade Ops DEFINITELY!

+ Ghost_Shrimp on August 6th, 2011 at 9:22 pm said:

This sorta seems pointless to be honest. Also $15 is pretty steep what happened to the $10 being the norm for small downloadable titles?

+ mysterioA97 on August 6th, 2011 at 10:07 pm said:

cool…

+ rockinjs864 on August 6th, 2011 at 11:21 pm said:

@199 plus members have their own icon now.where’s yours? LMAO

+ jose213jose on August 6th, 2011 at 11:40 pm said:

love how you did that but how about if you buy 2 to 4 games & you get one free game or thing of your pick from list of select games or ect from the PSN store.

Select tile can be games, movies, icon for PSN, PS Home item’s, and ect.

First we pick put list of possible things and you guys pick lucky one and after picking it we have to vote for the selecting tile part you would put up place were we vote for select tiles and ect.

out of the 4 things list on the page we get as free gift when we buy 2 to 4 games or anything in the PSN store.

I am typing this as fast so i may have miss word some things but anyway you get what i mean i hope if not i can take my time later to tell u in person sony how it should work than u can handle the rest.

+ ShadowPhoenix18 on August 7th, 2011 at 5:42 am said:

Neophantome, this is a pretty diverse selction of games, don’t let the “Action” intro fool you. If you like dungeon crawlers (and twisted non-sequitor humor, though I’m the only one I know lauging at DeathSpank), you’ll likely enjoy The Baconing, and Street Fighter 3rd Strike is a great, very unique entry into the long-standing series. Do some research and you may find the deals have more to offer you than you thought.

That advice would stand for ChaseHammer and others who seem to assume this is unreasonably priced garbage. Do your research and you may find you actually would like something being offered. These titles are all titles that would’ve been offered at $15 regardless of this deal, and compared to the typical disc-game price, they are worth it. If you don’t like it, that’s fine, but find out first before dismissing it. And if you can’t afford it, well there are always gonna be the sales to wait for. But like any pre-order bonus, this is just for those that love the game enough to want to play it as soon as they can, and deserve a thanks for the faith they put into a pre-order purchase. It’s a good deal, I’d say.

Now, let’s copy and hope this post isn’t so long it gets erased too, lol.

+ mtnman3888 on August 7th, 2011 at 7:35 am said:

Any news on what is going to replace Bloodrayne since it got delayed?

+ wanderer55 on August 7th, 2011 at 8:41 am said:

@205 Only the XBLA version is delayed. The PSN is still coming early next month.

+ aznxchunky on August 7th, 2011 at 9:09 am said:

Since bloodrayne is delayed, what game will replace it?

+ bcturns on August 7th, 2011 at 10:43 am said:

This may have been answered before, but are we charged for the games at the pre-order or at the release date?

Also, pre-order would be sooooo frickin’ cool if we could pre-order and game automaticly downloads and installs at moment of release. It would be awesome to be able to come home from work/school and find new game waiting for you on ps3. Could you imagine doing this for somthing like Resistance3 or Battlefield3?

GIGGADY!!!

+ Keeng on August 7th, 2011 at 12:37 pm said:

This is a good idea but these games are not the ones to do it with at all. Street Fighter is a great choice (and the only one of these I’ll be buying personally) but the rest of these are not top-tier PSN games and you guys know it. Let’s be honest: are DeathSpank 3, a 2D BloodRayne, and…whatever that Sega game is even comparable to Bastion and From Dust? Hell, even if this just gave us those two games and Street Fighter that would have been better than pretty much any game lineup of the past five months.

PSN games are some of the best of the generation. I would have expected better from the service which brought us the PixelJunk titles, Crash Commando, Shatter, Fat Princess and dozens of other amazing downloadable games. You guys know this lineup isn’t up to snuff.

+ MegaMonkeyChunk on August 7th, 2011 at 1:20 pm said:

I’m not interested in any of these games. I’m just happy we at least have some sort of time frame for when Payday will be out. Either really late September or early October.

+ Heavenly_king on August 7th, 2011 at 3:14 pm said:

@201: Most DL games cost 15 bucks. I don’t know what you are talking about.

+ jpope1998 on August 7th, 2011 at 6:09 pm said:

This program seems like it’s going to cost a lot. At least playstation plus members get a discount.

+ Kirkpad on August 7th, 2011 at 9:58 pm said:

What websites do you guys read that tells you “BLOODRAYNE DELAYED ON ALL CONSOLES!!! LOLOLOL” ?

The headline that I read stated “BloodRayne XBLA delayed until Oct. 5, SF3 still on time”

What is there not to get about that? This is proving that the PLAY promotion is actually creating timed exclusives AND discounts for PS+ users. It’s a win-win really.

+ Shinigami_Death_ on August 7th, 2011 at 11:07 pm said:

Hhmmmm weird I’ll have to check it out for myself on PSN.

+ DaCaPn0045 on August 8th, 2011 at 1:30 am said:

Hmm I’m thinking about it. It’s no doubt that I’m getting SF3:TS. I haven’t played none of the DeathSpanks, but I heard were pretty good. BloodRayne is a huge question mark. Renegade Ops is a type of game I would play. As a member of plus if you bought all four it’s almost like getting one for free. Plus you would get PAYDAY: Heist (which I heard it will be awesome.) It definitely making me think about it. $48 for 5 games is like $10 a game which isn’t that bad.

+ DaCaPn0045 on August 8th, 2011 at 1:34 am said:

BloodRayne Delayed

+ vglosers on August 8th, 2011 at 10:40 am said:

I’m really underwhelmed by the selection of games. I’d much rather Sony focus on getting the PSP digital comics on my PS3′s TV screen. There’s so money I’d want to spend…

+ ToFeY on August 9th, 2011 at 3:29 am said:

Ohohohohoho the BACONING ;D
more deathspank plz my best friend will be excited when i tell her there’s a new deathspank game xP

+ gor1llap1mp on August 9th, 2011 at 8:28 am said:

Dear Playstation, WTF? Why did my comment need moderation and ultimately get deleted when I said nothing wrong or offensive? I hate spending time posting and then realize I just wasted my time with a slap in the face to boot!

+ m0zA2t on August 9th, 2011 at 1:22 pm said:

where in the playstation store do I pre-order third strike?

+ m0zA2t on August 9th, 2011 at 1:38 pm said:

It says the pre-orders start today but I dont see anything like that in the playstation store

+ Caveman_107 on August 9th, 2011 at 8:59 pm said:

On the Playstation Store, would it be possible for you to add an option, like you have lastest, franchise etc, could/would you add an option “Gratis” (Free), so you could only search for free items accross ALL areas, video, add-ons, avatars, themes etc, as it would be a LOT easier than going through every game, section by section (i.e. avatar, theme, wallpaper, add-on)?

+ GuSTaVauM_OOO on August 9th, 2011 at 11:27 pm said:

I’l give a try on Street Fighter III TS ^_^
Thank you, Sony.

+ Manigamer on August 16th, 2011 at 2:13 pm said:

guys ive got a PROBLEM ! im not seeing the discount for ps PLUS 20 percent off on street fighter :( im seeing the discount on the other 3 games but not on sf ! i was gonna get them all and since they were all coming under 50$ which i have the amount in my account atm i was gonna buy them but now the totals coming to above 50$ which i cant get them all :( PLEASE FIX THIS HURRY THE DEAD LINES SOON ! is this a glitch or what ? URGENT UPDATE NEEDED HERE !

+ joeyc138 on August 19th, 2011 at 11:26 am said:

Pre-ordered all of them yesterday. Really looking forward to Payday: The Heist. I could use a good online shooter that doesn’t have the words Call of Duty in the title :p.

+ Azn_Flavor on August 19th, 2011 at 6:07 pm said:

So wait all you have to do is buy them all before the date? you don’t have to pre-order them? I mean I didn’t really want street fighter online. I’m never going to play it because I hate online fighters. But I want Payday the heist for free so all i have to do is just buy them all before sept 19? and i will get payday? sounds good 3 out of 4 games plus a free on ok ;)

+ fijski8 on August 20th, 2011 at 8:39 am said:

I over paid for Third Strike. Please someone respond. Was due a 3.00 USD discount.. charged full pop.

+ fijski8 on August 20th, 2011 at 8:40 am said:

Bought Third Strike before it went off store and never got my PS+ discount on it.

I am not the only one I know. How do I get my 3.00 dollars back?

+ FruitySnaks on August 20th, 2011 at 3:10 pm said:

Peae extend it !!! i missed out !!!!

+ Websblobs on August 22nd, 2011 at 5:39 pm said:

I apologize, looking at the store now it actually shows the pre-order periods for the games. Just please put it up in the blog next time so I can get the money earlier.

+ play_store86 on August 28th, 2011 at 12:42 pm said:

where is the pre-order for baconing?

+ tg_grunwald on August 29th, 2011 at 7:49 pm said:

Well, I want bloodrayne , renegade ops and the baconing, in this case i think i’ll take all four to get payday free.

PAGE 1 3 4 5