Horizon Zero Dawn

Aug 09

Aug 09

PS3 System Software Update (v3.70)

Eric Lempel's Avatar Posted by SVP, PlayStation Network

PlayStation Plus Auto Update
Hi everyone! As we are continuously working toward providing the best gaming and entertainment experience on PlayStation 3, I wanted to give you all a heads up on the following new features and changes coming with the next system software update (v.3.70).

To make things easier for PlayStation Plus subscribers, we’ve added the option to automate two existing features. The [Automatic Download] feature will now be called [Automatic Update] as a result of these new options.

• A new auto upload function for online save data back-up will be added to make it easier to back-up your game save data. Under (Game), select the game for which you want to automatically upload saved data, and then press the Triangle button.
  • Also, Trophies will now sync automatically at the timing of Auto Download.

Automatic Update

A new recommendation function will be added that enables you to share your recommendations for PlayStation Store items, such as games and videos, with PlayStation Network friends. You will be able to send messages with a store link from the product pages within the PlayStation Store.

PlayStation Store Update

Due to the increase in video applications being offered on PS3, we are adding a new category on the XMB called TV/Video Services. This category will include video applications such as Netflix, Hulu PLUS, and VUDU.

• You’ll be able to find and download all of the video applications available on PS3 directly from this new XMB category.
  • A folder labeled “My Channels” within this category will allow you to easily access your downloaded applications.
  • Any videos downloaded from the PlayStation store will continue to be placed in the existing Video category on the XMB

Two updates for all of you enjoying Blu-ray 3D movies on PS3:

• 3D support will now be available when accessing Java-based special features on Blu-Ray
  • DTS-HD MA, DTS-HD HR decoding/bit stream output (or lossless audio) will be supported while playing Blu-ray 3D movies.
  • 3D digital photos in MPO format can now be viewed in 3D on the XMB and in the Photo Gallery app.

The 3.70 update will be available soon; additional details will be available after the firmware goes live here. Separately, there will also be a minor PSP system software update (v. 6.60) launching soon.

As always, let us know of any feedback in the comments below.

Add Your Own

PAGE 1 2 3 16

DeathGazer said:

August 9th, 5:08 pm

Auto trophy sync, finally!

renomano said:

August 9th, 5:11 pm

hadooken

MrOlympiaSC said:

August 9th, 5:14 pm

This is an unsurprisingly disgraceful update. Keep it up, Sony!

StargamerX said:

August 9th, 5:14 pm

YES! But I don’t really want to turn on Automatic Download. I don’t like the idea of my PS3 turning on by itself and me not knowing if it turned off.

Bluejays20012 said:

August 9th, 5:15 pm

cool upgrade for playstation :)

chaoszero14 said:

August 9th, 5:15 pm

These aren’t exactly the features i wanted but any new features are cool.

benipayo said:

August 9th, 5:15 pm

At least auto trophy sync is finally here.

Lyndan said:

August 9th, 5:15 pm

Yahoo! One step closer to meeting the needs of the PS3 community.

puremp5killa26 said:

August 9th, 5:16 pm

Sony why you no add cross game chat? even on playstion.blog.share its like one of the highest rated things and it still hasnt been added but ideas that only have like 2000 likes have been added in updates

DZORMAGEN said:

August 9th, 5:16 pm

I thought there was going to be a new interface for the PS Store? When is that coming?

BlooodyCow said:

August 9th, 5:17 pm

trophy sync isn’t what it should be, but I guess this is a start. Hopefully the next update will do it every 15 minutes or so when you are actually online playing games rather than using automatic download.

hutzit said:

August 9th, 5:17 pm

ILOVEPLASTATION3 said:

August 9th, 5:17 pm

I’m usually never critical about the updates, but I think it is time we have some big update like we had last year and before. Maybe include an updated interface, like a refresh, but still keeping the XMB originality. Come on Sony, you can do better than this update. Where is the “Wow” factor?

BlooodyCow said:

August 9th, 5:18 pm

@yndan
It only took about 5 years :)

G__ROW said:

August 9th, 5:18 pm

@StargamerX Automatic download is awesome. Your PS3 will turn on at a specified time and check for any game/system updates and install them, then immediately turn off. Nothing to worry about.

InfinitiProject said:

August 9th, 5:18 pm

Cloud saving! Yes!!!!

loonytoon1982 said:

August 9th, 5:18 pm

Highly disappointed that once again requested features are being added but requiring a Plus subscription to avail of the services. These need to be either free or made available as a smaller fee subscription for those not looking to invest in Plus.

Once again punished for being loyal and spending higher amounts of money on new releases in the past aswell as the present.

LightKiosk said:

August 9th, 5:18 pm

Will we get an XMB update anytime soon? The current XMB is too cluttered with text and sort of dated… :l

EvoAnubis said:

August 9th, 5:18 pm

Pretty sweet! I had no idea there’s be a new FW today, but it’s always welcome!

MarkakaJin said:

August 9th, 5:18 pm

I am extremely glad for being a Playstation Plus subscriber. Thank you very much, Sony Playstation and keep up the good work. Looking forward to all the good stuff in the future!

Daigen said:

August 9th, 5:19 pm

Very excited about the auto trophy sync too! It’s the little things that count ;)

Cyb3rfr34k-iso said:

August 9th, 5:19 pm

ITADAKIMASU!!!

Ix_DarkDragon_ said:

August 9th, 5:20 pm

Most of the features are for PlayStation Plus Members and mine has expired. Time to get a new subscription I guess.

Venom1976 said:

August 9th, 5:20 pm

Non Plus users getting the shaft once again. I think i’m done with sony now.

x9248 said:

August 9th, 5:20 pm

So new features are just gonna be Plus only huh. Normal members can’t even get something as simple as auto trophy sync lol…

Very sly Sony, very sly >.>

dean147 said:

August 9th, 5:20 pm

Will the Trophy Auto sync feature be available for EU Plus members?

shocker915 said:

August 9th, 5:21 pm

well i dislike this somewhat because sony needs to hear what we want im not trying to be ignorant but they need to they havent heard us putting cross game chat on ps3 but you guys decided to put it on psvita and also listen what we want on the ps3 from ps share change the xmb and ps store once in a while they need to please listen to us people that are using your playstation network

chriz704 said:

August 9th, 5:21 pm

I am excited that there is a new XMB update, I just hope down the road we will get more features. Also a great idea is to make a PS 3.5 just add an extension bay which allows the PS3 more ram and more SPU, this is quite possible and if I am correct theirs a patent on this.

Chris

zennacko said:

August 9th, 5:21 pm

And what about USB Audio Output? (Since the beautiful new headset from Sony will be wireless with an USB stick…)
Also, when the feature above gets released, will any USB headset work or not?

InfinitiProject said:

August 9th, 5:21 pm

Also, I just noticed that Plus Subscribers have the plus symbol next to their avatar here on the blog! Come on September I need my new PS3!

Luke2903 said:

August 9th, 5:21 pm

Can we please have a party system. With all the new games coming out it would be great. We fans have asking for this for years. Please implement it. :)

benipayo said:

August 9th, 5:21 pm

@puremp5killa

It’s probably because ideas like Cross Game Chat take longer to code in than simpler ideas like being able to report players.

Butters360 said:

August 9th, 5:22 pm

Rocks being a PlayStation Plus user :)

SephTiger said:

August 9th, 5:22 pm

The whole “PlayStation Plus members get exclusive SYSTEM SOFTWARE FEATURES” shouldn’t be allowed, because it’s the system software and not extra software you have to download. Think about it.

StargamerX said:

August 9th, 5:22 pm

@G__Row Eh, I guess I’ll try it now. However I don’t see the auto-syncing of trophies to useful at this level, as I’ll sync them manually before I shut my PS3 off. The point was to prevent having to wait for it to load WHILE you’re gathering trophies, at least in my experience.

StealthSnyper said:

August 9th, 5:22 pm

I love the idea of auto-trophy sync, but why is it PS plus only?

sesyjon said:

August 9th, 5:22 pm

Uhh the auto online game sync sounds pretty good. Keep it up!

KwietStorm said:

August 9th, 5:22 pm

Nice features. So the game save data will upload to the storage at the time that the actual game saves? Also, will all of our trophies sync, even if a specific game is not set to auto upload save data?

BABLE- said:

August 9th, 5:24 pm

we need a new update for the Playstation Store>Downloads Catagorised…
So it would be easier to find Games/Themes/Avatars/Add-ons more faster.

loonytoon1982 said:

August 9th, 5:24 pm

@32

We still have to download it and also it’s not even optional, therefore forced to download something that we can’t use basically.

DeathGazer said:

August 9th, 5:25 pm

@ Butters360

It really does :)

Hollow19 said:

August 9th, 5:26 pm

is the trophy auto update just for Plus subs?
i didnt get it

Skater_Ricky said:

August 9th, 5:26 pm

►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►
Dear Sony Development Team,

This is Skater_Ricky Firmware Wish List That I hope
SONY can put these features into the ever so growing
Powerful PS3.

? (Party System) Cross Game Voice Chat
? Voice Messaging (30 second – 60 second clip)
? Be able to hit the PS button to Answer a Message that a Friend has Sent
? Faster IN-GAME XMB.. take out useless options that can’t be used or Better Yet “REVAMP the whole In-game XMB” or just make a better In-game menu all together and deal without the XMB for in-game Menu.
? Option to Defragment Hard Drive in the Settings Selection
(Part 1)
►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►

INTVGene said:

August 9th, 5:27 pm

Love the auto-sync. But, Plus only? That sucks.

aro52 said:

August 9th, 5:27 pm

All welcome features, but the biggest problem with Trophies not syncing in the past, was all my friends that don’t manually sync their Trophies, and having to nag em to do it, so I can compare… Auto Trophy Syncing needs to be incorporated for ALL accounts, not just PS+. This is another example of a feature that really doesn’t benefit the active PSN user… Like Auto Download: The auto downloads don’t run until Tuesday late night. By that time, I’ve already downloaded it anyways. The other example, is all the game discounts. They’ve gotten better and more recent, but for the most part, any of the games that are getting deals, we’ve already bought. The majority of these PS+ features, would honestly benefit the casual users WAY more than the core users.

Wheels86 said:

August 9th, 5:27 pm

Great update also looking forward as to what will be in the new PSP update

Skater_Ricky said:

August 9th, 5:27 pm

►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►
Dear Sony Development Team,

This is Skater_Ricky Firmware Wish List That I hope
SONY can put these features into the ever so growing
Powerful PS3.

? Custom Avatars
? Screenshoot Capture Built into the PS3 OS across all Games and Apps.
? Easier to Customize Folders for all MUSIC, GAME, PHOTO’s
? Direct Feed from PlayStation Blog in the What’s New Section like “RSS Feed: for PlayStation Blog.
? Music Player Visual (Bigger Album Art) while playing with a nice Music Player Visuals. And Differnt Visual’s within the Music Player.
? iPhone and iPod support to Upload Pictures and Listen to Music. (I’d like to at least upload my pictures from my iPhone to my PS3)
? Backward Compatibility with PS2 (Software/Firmware Update)
(Part 2)