PS4 - Batman Arkham Knight

PS3 System Software Update (v3.70)

Eric Lempel's Avatar + Posted by Eric Lempel on Aug 09, 2011 // VP, Sony Network Entertainment

PlayStation Plus Auto Update
Hi everyone! As we are continuously working toward providing the best gaming and entertainment experience on PlayStation 3, I wanted to give you all a heads up on the following new features and changes coming with the next system software update (v.3.70).

To make things easier for PlayStation Plus subscribers, we’ve added the option to automate two existing features. The [Automatic Download] feature will now be called [Automatic Update] as a result of these new options.

• A new auto upload function for online save data back-up will be added to make it easier to back-up your game save data. Under (Game), select the game for which you want to automatically upload saved data, and then press the Triangle button.
  • Also, Trophies will now sync automatically at the timing of Auto Download.

Automatic Update

A new recommendation function will be added that enables you to share your recommendations for PlayStation Store items, such as games and videos, with PlayStation Network friends. You will be able to send messages with a store link from the product pages within the PlayStation Store.

PlayStation Store Update

Due to the increase in video applications being offered on PS3, we are adding a new category on the XMB called TV/Video Services. This category will include video applications such as Netflix, Hulu PLUS, and VUDU.

• You’ll be able to find and download all of the video applications available on PS3 directly from this new XMB category.
  • A folder labeled “My Channels” within this category will allow you to easily access your downloaded applications.
  • Any videos downloaded from the PlayStation store will continue to be placed in the existing Video category on the XMB

Two updates for all of you enjoying Blu-ray 3D movies on PS3:

• 3D support will now be available when accessing Java-based special features on Blu-Ray
  • DTS-HD MA, DTS-HD HR decoding/bit stream output (or lossless audio) will be supported while playing Blu-ray 3D movies.
  • 3D digital photos in MPO format can now be viewed in 3D on the XMB and in the Photo Gallery app.

The 3.70 update will be available soon; additional details will be available after the firmware goes live here. Separately, there will also be a minor PSP system software update (v. 6.60) launching soon.

As always, let us know of any feedback in the comments below.

792 Comments

PAGE 1 2 3 4 16

+ Skater_Ricky on August 9th, 2011 at 5:29 pm said:

►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►
Dear Sony Development Team,
This is Skater_Ricky Firmware Wish List That I hope
SONY can put these features into the ever so growing
Powerful PS3.

I like to see us ALL get a Kick A$$ Party System.

This Party System Can Add People From your Friend List or Have Open Party Invite to Add People In a Window were all Can Chat Cross Game or Invite Each in a Game to Play Online togeather.

And In this Party System you have the Option to Call a Friend 1 on 1 and Chat Privately While Playing Other Games or be Playing the Same Game.

(Part 3)
►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►

+ lukerjfY2J on August 9th, 2011 at 5:29 pm said:

being a PS Plus sub is awesome I love the content

+ Skater_Ricky on August 9th, 2011 at 5:29 pm said:

►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►
Dear Sony Development Team,
This is Skater_Ricky Firmware Wish List That I hope
SONY can put these features into the ever so growing
Powerful PS3.

Or in a Group of 8 Friends or non Friends to Chat About Gaming Kinda Like Video Chat But with out the Function of Video.

And In this System it would have Options to Send ANY GAME Invite to a PSN Friend to Play that game you Choose to Play Online.

When they Accpet it will Send them to your Party and in the Party Box there PSN ICON will Show up and they have the Optoin to Chat Via Text or Voice Chat.

(Part 4)
►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►

+ Skater_Ricky on August 9th, 2011 at 5:31 pm said:

►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►
Dear Sony Development Team,
This is Skater_Ricky Firmware Wish List That I hope
SONY can put these features into the ever so growing
Powerful PS3.

When Everyone is Ready they Will Have the Option to Launch the Game Once the Game is Loaded or Even While the Game is Loading They can Chat Via Text or Voice Even While Waiting for Games to Load up to Play.

Once in the Game the Game will use the Party System to Use as a main Source of Playing Online Gaming.

Make this happen SONY (Make.Belive)

Thanks for Reading Skater_Ricky,

(Part 5)
►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►

+ hakmo on August 9th, 2011 at 5:31 pm said:

I’d like some new TV/Players for the Irish users the RTE player sucks :( sadly i know this is not down to sony, but I’m sure some sort of deal could be sorted out. also to be able to play your own playlists while playing games would be awesome.

+ NoGodsOnlyMan on August 9th, 2011 at 5:31 pm said:

wow that is gold icing to the cake

GREAT!!!!!

+ naasbizzle on August 9th, 2011 at 5:31 pm said:

wassup wit the cross-game chat??? why hasnt this been at least tawked about?

+ Nuurgle on August 9th, 2011 at 5:33 pm said:

Man, I’ve been trying to get the Auto Online Game Save put onto PS.Share since they released the Cloud saves for Plus, but it kept getting rejected and never made it to the site while things like “Bring Halo to PS3″ made it through. I’m guessing they had this planned for a while and didn’t want to give anyone else the credit. Still glad they finally added it though.

+ beastbarbour on August 9th, 2011 at 5:34 pm said:

great guys keep up the good work and now lets aim for cross game chat would love to have it with the new head phones!

+ Rammstone on August 9th, 2011 at 5:34 pm said:

Now just give me the ability to “copy multiple” and “delete multiple” in the PS3 Savegames folder, and I will be a happy panda..

+ Toddimus144 on August 9th, 2011 at 5:34 pm said:

Being Plus is fun an all but these updates in my honest opinion should be standard and available to all PSN accounts. I pay hard earned money for my games and my system, and shouldn’t have to fork over a subscription for automatic updates!

+ Wheels86 on August 9th, 2011 at 5:34 pm said:

Priceless….no matter what Sony does people aren’t happy…..So we haven’t gotten Cross Game Chat….BIG DEAL

+ PyroSpark7 on August 9th, 2011 at 5:35 pm said:

Meh.

+ marleyjka on August 9th, 2011 at 5:35 pm said:

When will my PS3 be able to play MKV format video

+ ghostface20xx on August 9th, 2011 at 5:36 pm said:

don’t like that they should have update the system so that when your controller are plugged in it shuts down when charged like the xbox360 does

+ Artur05 on August 9th, 2011 at 5:36 pm said:

SONY PLEASE UPDATE THE TROPHY CARD WITH BETTER INFORMATION AND BETTER LAYOUT.

+ kirafung on August 9th, 2011 at 5:36 pm said:

I wish Trophy auto sync for normal account…

+ heylookitsfranke on August 9th, 2011 at 5:36 pm said:

WOOO Finally!

“DTS-HD MA, DTS-HD HR decoding/bit stream output (or lossless audio) ”

i can make use of my Surround Sound to the fullest now while watching 3dtv and movies. My most favorite thing about this firmware update.

great job sony.

+ THE_DEMON_001 on August 9th, 2011 at 5:37 pm said:

hey so all this updates are for playstation plus?? and what ever happened to cross game chat? please reply anyone and add me if you want

+ MK_SMOKEBEAST_MK on August 9th, 2011 at 5:38 pm said:

Why only PS plus i want this stuff but i cant afford ps plus every 3 months and im not paying for the year one…………………… >:( come on sony i ddnt pay money for my ps3 to not get nothing

+ neostardust on August 9th, 2011 at 5:38 pm said:

This is a great add on for the system, Thanks sony!

+ Ninja-KiLLR on August 9th, 2011 at 5:38 pm said:

nice i actually told a fellow psn friend not long ago wishing i we had automatic game save back up and boom here it is. thanks sony.

+ agentkellzero on August 9th, 2011 at 5:39 pm said:

People who are mad that plus users get things for PAYING EXTRA are not very intelligent. You say your done with Sony? Where are you going to go? Microsoft where you dont even have the option of not paying and getting a little less. Stop being so spoiled.

+ ghostface20xx on August 9th, 2011 at 5:39 pm said:

I just hope all these firmware updates don’t effect my trusty FAT60gb system because hard ware does have it’s limit.

+ Kirkpad on August 9th, 2011 at 5:39 pm said:

OH SNAP. That is all.

+ Ur_Great_Hero on August 9th, 2011 at 5:40 pm said:

agreed, even tho these are all nice features. i think that cross chat would be the most important and would mean the most to a huge percent of us ps3 gamers. Can you make it a huge NEXT please?

+ Mallemall on August 9th, 2011 at 5:40 pm said:

Dear Sony Development Team,
This is my Firmware Wish List That I hope
SONY can put these features into the ever so growing
Powerful PS3.

I like to see us ALL get a Kick A$$ Party System.

This Party System Can Add People From your Friend List or Have Open Party Invite to Add People In a Window were all Can Chat Cross Game or Invite Each in a Game to Play Online together.

+ Blackcat012 on August 9th, 2011 at 5:40 pm said:

So once again, nothing for those of us who don’t have a PS Plus subscription. Thanks Sony.

+ BatrozX on August 9th, 2011 at 5:40 pm said:

Auto trophy sync should be free…it shouldn’t be a premium feature. Also you guys should add a wishlist on the Playstation Store and gifting options. I am also waiting for cross game chat (FREE), and perhaps group chats (PSPlus). I would also like a stylish update for the XMB.

+ KILLZONE79 on August 9th, 2011 at 5:41 pm said:

I love the PS+ Features

and ive been waiting for this feature:

PlayStation Store Update

now when i tell my friends, they wont ask me “Where is it, i cant find it”

+ chrispatriots on August 9th, 2011 at 5:42 pm said:

another lame update. come on sony we havent had a good update in like a year or 2.

we all want party chat.
voice message.
custom avatars.

this update benefits a select FEW.

+ ruibing on August 9th, 2011 at 5:42 pm said:

This prompted me to renew my PS Plus membership for another year. Great job, Sony.

+ soldierone on August 9th, 2011 at 5:42 pm said:

This is why I didn’t like the idea of PS Plus. I knew core things would be stripped from us “free” users and only given to them. Auto update trophies come on? That should be a given to begin with….I love PS3, but more moves like that and you will only anger people.

+ devilray222001 on August 9th, 2011 at 5:42 pm said:

SONY once again you missed two things that everyone has been asking for in these updates! CROSS GAME CHAT!! IN GAME MUSIC!! You gave them to the PS Vita so you know how to code it and insert it into the XMB so just do us that service if you please! :-)

+ mrpaulryan on August 9th, 2011 at 5:44 pm said:

Right idea, wrong execution. Trophies should sync automatically every time the system starts up, in the background so we don’t notice it. Having them sync every two days doesn’t fix the current problem of having to wait every time we want to check the trophies.

Also, I’m not sure how this new XMB category for video stuff will work, but I don’t want to click an extra time just to get into Netflix. That would be a step backwards.

+ Vashler on August 9th, 2011 at 5:44 pm said:

Very nice to see the Auto game save and trophy sync. I love the auto dl feature, and downloading demo’s and letting the system install them all for me overnight. Thanks Sony!

+ Neo-Senku on August 9th, 2011 at 5:45 pm said:

Even though I have PSN+ and do enjoy it, I must say making those features + only items is in bad form. Those really aren’t features that should be held for ransom like that.

+ jvasq on August 9th, 2011 at 5:45 pm said:

wow loving all of this very much. wish i had this before my fat died. oh well. my slims working great

+ burningwind on August 9th, 2011 at 5:46 pm said:

I am glad I am a Plus user but the auto synch of trophies should be for everyone. At least we are seeing some sign of them giving us bigger updates again.

+ wilsonfamily on August 9th, 2011 at 5:46 pm said:

Well these are some decent features but i fail to see how they should only be for ps+ users. Since it is mandatory to do the system update you would think that the features being implemented would be all around. However non ps+ users have to do the update for absolutely nothing. That is really a shame. While i agree that being a plus member should have it’s exclusive content and what not, i don’t think system update features should be plus exclusive, that is just plain sad.

+ HEST_96 on August 9th, 2011 at 5:46 pm said:

When are we getting cross-gamechat? I feel like thats the only thing missing right now, and i’m pretty sure i’m not the only one who thinks so.

+ whatisdelicious on August 9th, 2011 at 5:46 pm said:

So…. it’s not auto-sync the way you actually WANT trophies to be synced. It’s “once a night,” not “right after you get the trophy.”

Great.

+ auskyem on August 9th, 2011 at 5:47 pm said:

Any of 3 features will please me:

-Ability to Upgrade Sub-Account to Master Account
-Facebook on sub accounts
-Ability to move or copy Sub Account trophies to its Master Account

+ GAM3R_16 on August 9th, 2011 at 5:47 pm said:

Awesome! Thanks SONY!

+ blackmoney831 on August 9th, 2011 at 5:48 pm said:

When will the ability to play music while playing a game be available

+ E112279 on August 9th, 2011 at 5:49 pm said:

Wow. You guys actually have the nerve to ask people to pay for something that should have been implemented years ago, and should be free. I’m done. Trading for a 360 tomorrow.

+ Kchow23 on August 9th, 2011 at 5:49 pm said:

Would love an option to have the “Automatic Download” feature download demos and trailers automatically once the store is updated. (I would be able to decide what I want downloaded and tell it when to stop (ie HDD is full)).

+ Santos21 on August 9th, 2011 at 5:49 pm said:

Great update sony. Loving the autosync trophies the most.

People please stop with the whole CGC whining already. They are not gonna put on. you have been asking for it for like six years and it hasnt been applied. what makes you think they will do it now? It will definitely be on the ps4 when that comes out in probably 2-4 years so just wait for that. or just wait to early next year and you will have it on the vita.

+ leukoplast on August 9th, 2011 at 5:49 pm said:

Auto sync trophies is neat, however it requires PS Plus and also seems like it requires automatic FW and game updates too, which I do not like. If I can turn on auto sync without having to turn on all the other auto download junk, then it will be a useful feature. If not then it is 100% useless.

Also pretty pathetic of you to make it for PS plus only, so is that what we are to expect from now on, all the new features in FW updates will be PS Plus exclusive? Pretty low Sony, pretty low. Whats next, cross-game chat for PS Plus only? That would be one hell of a way to get an addition 10 million plus subscribers and I bet the idea of charging people for that feature is at the top of your list.

Why not just charge for PSN already, that is basically what will end up happening anyway, especially with the PSN Pass system coming next month.

+ KILLZONE79 on August 9th, 2011 at 5:49 pm said:

@90

speaking of facebook

@sony cant we just have a facebook app to download from PlayStation store
ands please bring cross-game chat

PAGE 1 2 3 4 16