Minecraft PS4

PS3 System Software Update (v3.70)

Eric Lempel's Avatar + Posted by Eric Lempel on Aug 09, 2011 // VP, Sony Network Entertainment

PlayStation Plus Auto Update
Hi everyone! As we are continuously working toward providing the best gaming and entertainment experience on PlayStation 3, I wanted to give you all a heads up on the following new features and changes coming with the next system software update (v.3.70).

To make things easier for PlayStation Plus subscribers, we’ve added the option to automate two existing features. The [Automatic Download] feature will now be called [Automatic Update] as a result of these new options.

• A new auto upload function for online save data back-up will be added to make it easier to back-up your game save data. Under (Game), select the game for which you want to automatically upload saved data, and then press the Triangle button.
  • Also, Trophies will now sync automatically at the timing of Auto Download.

Automatic Update

A new recommendation function will be added that enables you to share your recommendations for PlayStation Store items, such as games and videos, with PlayStation Network friends. You will be able to send messages with a store link from the product pages within the PlayStation Store.

PlayStation Store Update

Due to the increase in video applications being offered on PS3, we are adding a new category on the XMB called TV/Video Services. This category will include video applications such as Netflix, Hulu PLUS, and VUDU.

• You’ll be able to find and download all of the video applications available on PS3 directly from this new XMB category.
  • A folder labeled “My Channels” within this category will allow you to easily access your downloaded applications.
  • Any videos downloaded from the PlayStation store will continue to be placed in the existing Video category on the XMB

Two updates for all of you enjoying Blu-ray 3D movies on PS3:

• 3D support will now be available when accessing Java-based special features on Blu-Ray
  • DTS-HD MA, DTS-HD HR decoding/bit stream output (or lossless audio) will be supported while playing Blu-ray 3D movies.
  • 3D digital photos in MPO format can now be viewed in 3D on the XMB and in the Photo Gallery app.

The 3.70 update will be available soon; additional details will be available after the firmware goes live here. Separately, there will also be a minor PSP system software update (v. 6.60) launching soon.

As always, let us know of any feedback in the comments below.

792 Comments

PAGE 1 5 6 7 8 9 16

+ Detective-E on August 9th, 2011 at 8:22 pm said:

The automatic save storage is great, really needed that. All I really wanted was a “Copy All Saves” Feature.

Now just bring the party chat Vita has, unless you’re still working on it..

+ Destiny89 on August 9th, 2011 at 8:23 pm said:

auto trophy sync is awesome

+ jcb_815 on August 9th, 2011 at 8:24 pm said:

Looking good.

+ red1233 on August 9th, 2011 at 8:25 pm said:

and for those of you who want music not all games allow you to that so try to play your music before you start the game. Also remember they can’t please everyone but this is a good start when is the last time we had an update with features? Even if you cannot use them.

+ t55t4tt on August 9th, 2011 at 8:25 pm said:

woow thats sucks only ps plus then thay should update not us thats my opinion

+ ReIysis on August 9th, 2011 at 8:25 pm said:

Hey, DTS-HD MA! Thanks Sony. The more lossless options, the better. I’m really warming up to 3d, I’ll have to be honest.

+ Squall1979 on August 9th, 2011 at 8:28 pm said:

Looks really good? Come on guys. Let’s at least call this what it is. Sony still attempting to play catch up, and still left wanting.

+ GAME_GOD_202 on August 9th, 2011 at 8:28 pm said:

CANT U GUYS EVER LEAVE A TIME OR DAY AND STOP SAYING IT WIL BE OUT LATER

+ jcb_815 on August 9th, 2011 at 8:29 pm said:

How come there can’t be cross game chat on the PlayStation 3?

+ Wolf26pack on August 9th, 2011 at 8:30 pm said:

OK now that I got my rant off let me give you my opinion on the current update.

- Moving all the Video Applications to their own section on the XMB (Great)
- Auto Upload of game saves for PS + members (Great)
- Auto Sync of Trophies for PS + members (Poor)

This feature should be available to all. The Same as Automatic Download, You guys don’t seem to be looking at the big picture on how to make your system easy to use for everyone, including the technically savy like me and the non savy like parents and grandparents. If Automatic Download was available to all it would introduce games to people that they may not originally consider. It would also help those who are impatient avoid having to wait for updates.

I know, I know, these to you guys are convenience features and if they want them they can pay for them. But if your to widen your audience like the Wii has you have to make the system as hassle free as possible.

+ Wolf26pack on August 9th, 2011 at 8:30 pm said:

As for PS+ I feel it is a great service but don’t yet see the value in it. If you had mandatory % discounts on all the items throughout the store I know people would be buying stuff in droves and would have no issues with subscribing. For example…

Mini’s 5% off
PS1 games 10% off
Add-on’s 10% – 15% off
PSN Games 20% – 50% off
PS3 Games 20% – 50% off

Finally if you added the Qriocity Music service to PS+ I know I would subscribe. Hell raise PS+ to $60 I’ll pay that per year. Hopefully you can see the benefits that my suggestions would have and implement them so I too can proudly say “I’m a PS+ Subscriber”.

+ GeneralChaz9 on August 9th, 2011 at 8:31 pm said:

I cant afford PS Plus, but I have liked the idea. I take back my last comment. That is a little unfair. I have been a loyal PS fan for my whole life and I dont get treated like premiums.

The least you guys could do is put N-router support onto the PSP. I could then access the Store and play stuff online again!

+ DonCalzone21 on August 9th, 2011 at 8:32 pm said:

@Bubaroo
and
@ mastorofpuppetz

I agree with you two 100%, and back every statement you guys are making on this blog topic. Everytime I go to jump in with posting something you guys read my mind and beat me to the punch.

You guys are dead on with everything. If PS+ didnt have exclusives and just gave the features away to everyone there would be no point in having the program. People are just cheap and have this feeling of ‘entitlement’ that is plaguing the world, they feel like the should get everything just handed to them for free.

I have absolutely NO IDEA what the point of cross game chat is. It seems more like a distraction and just another thing to mess with your gameplay. Like I said earlier, just CALL your friends and put them on speaker phone if you just HAVE to be talking to them. Im with you two all the way on these topics. Keep it up.

***VERY PROUD PS+ MEMBER***

+ TheOrakill on August 9th, 2011 at 8:36 pm said:

SONY!!!! WHEN ARE YOU GOING TO TELL ALL OF YOUR POOR FAITHFUL CONSUMERS THAT CROSS GAME VOICE CHAT IS NOT POSSIBLE ON THE PS3?

IT IS EXTREMELY DISRESPECTFUL TO CONTINUE TO LIE TO THEM AND LEAD THEM TO BELIEVE AND WONDER WITH EACH UPDATE THAT IT’S COMING.

I WILL NEVER EVER EVER BUY ANOTHER SONY CONSOLE BECAUSE THE WAY YOU HAVE TREATED YOUR LOYAL CONSUMERS ON THIS ISSUE.

TO THE FELLOW PS COMMUNITY MEMBERS: IF YOU AGREE WITH ME AND ARE TIRED OF GETTING THE COLD SHOULDER FROM SONY ON THIS TOPIC AND WANT A STRAIGHT AND HONEST ANSWER FROM SONY ON THiS MATTER I SUGGEST YOU POST EVERY SINGLE DAY ON THIS BLOG IN EVERY BLOG POST STATING THAT WE WANT AN ANSWER AS TO IF CROSS GAME VOICE CHAT IS POSSIBLE ON THE PS3 AND IF SO WHEN IT IS COMING AND WHY WE HAVEN’T GOTTEN A STRAIGHT ANSWER FOR YEARS!

+ Wheels86 on August 9th, 2011 at 8:36 pm said:

is the update Live yet?

+ x_Arch-Angel_x on August 9th, 2011 at 8:39 pm said:

Im just wondering when are we going to get more music visuals like the psp?

+ zzamaro on August 9th, 2011 at 8:40 pm said:

I think the new feature is kind of useless. The idea sumitted in the blog.share request about syncing a trophy as soon as you get it. This update is not about that As soon as I’m done playing, I quit the game and I sync trophies. By the time the automatic update activates, I already sync the trophies by myself.

+ DonCalzone21 on August 9th, 2011 at 8:40 pm said:

@TheOrakill

You left your caps lock on buddy

+ Squall1979 on August 9th, 2011 at 8:41 pm said:

@Wolf2Pack

Couldn’t agree more. There just isn’t enough value for me to plop down the kind of money Sony is asking for. At least with Xbox Live, you got ESPN and a handful of other things (Like cross game chat and Party Chat).

+ TheOrakill on August 9th, 2011 at 8:42 pm said:

@DonCalzone21 Obviously done on purpose. You’re so brilliant!

+ Squall1979 on August 9th, 2011 at 8:43 pm said:

@DonCalzone21

I think Orakill needed to get that one off his chest. LOL. He’s been holding that one in for way too long.

+ SiCk_DiSeaSe on August 9th, 2011 at 8:45 pm said:

This is pretty cool. I can’t wait for update.

+ hush404 on August 9th, 2011 at 8:47 pm said:

… I like auto trophy uploads and auto save uploads… but… I don’t like auto downloads because of my limited connection… will there be a way to turn that part off?

+ rosfre on August 9th, 2011 at 8:50 pm said:

95% of psn user want cross game chat on the PlayStation 3. Why we don’t have it in 3.7 ?

+ rosfre on August 9th, 2011 at 8:51 pm said:

@311 +1

+ curtmcgirt on August 9th, 2011 at 8:54 pm said:

“DTS-HD MA, DTS-HD HR decoding/bit stream output (or lossless audio) will be supported while playing Blu-ray 3D movies.” huge.

+ abbasman47 on August 9th, 2011 at 8:55 pm said:

is the auto trophy sync also available for none-PS PLUS subscribers???

+ DonCalzone21 on August 9th, 2011 at 8:59 pm said:

@theOrakill

Just lettin you know, didnt know if your keyboard was broken or somethin’

Otherwise just makes you look like your a bit on the crazy side

+ JAm29J on August 9th, 2011 at 8:59 pm said:

MY PS3 NEEDS:

1. PARTY CHAT – People have been asking forever, please just do it!!!
2. UPDATED BROWSER – Just admit it, the browser needs an update (I want to watch HD on YouTube!!!)
3.PLAY MUSIC DURING GAME – This is simple, and I just wonder why it wasn’t in the PS3 from the beginning.
4. JUST ADD SOMETHING TO MAKE PSN MORE SOCIAL – Lets face it not everyone cares for PSHome but if you add something that allows “GAMERS” to socialize in a new way that’d be pretty damn awesome.

P.S. PLAYSTATION FTW!!!!

+ xAToMiC–GaMeRx on August 9th, 2011 at 9:01 pm said:

Game Cross Chat is All We Need Sony .. Or Make.Belive Word is just a Title !?

+ boneyardweller89 on August 9th, 2011 at 9:02 pm said:

Not a bad update, but I’m still hoping for a revamped XMB. I’ve given up on Cross-Game Voice Chat.

+ Tomm4118 on August 9th, 2011 at 9:03 pm said:

How’s that rumored PSN interface ‘makeover’ coming along?

Let’s make it happen Sony, give the PSN store the makeover you gave the PS Blog!

Now that’s something I would be excited for. Anyone else?

+ TheOrakill on August 9th, 2011 at 9:03 pm said:

@DonCalzone21 Using all caps to make your statement stand out from the 20 + other posts on this page is not crazy, it’s smart.

+ D-Squad3 on August 9th, 2011 at 9:04 pm said:

Useless updates are useless

+ Sembazuru on August 9th, 2011 at 9:04 pm said:

I hope the Auto Update function has been ‘fixed’ to work while the system is in RemotePlay mode and Folding (how I leave my system when I’m not actively using it).

+ D-Squad3 on August 9th, 2011 at 9:14 pm said:

USELESS!!!

+ doutee on August 9th, 2011 at 9:15 pm said:

im guessing we will get it in the late hours!

+ Mr_Bipolar on August 9th, 2011 at 9:15 pm said:

AWESOME!

I asked yesterday about this in blog. Now it is here. About time. We n needed something new.

Thank you sony!

+ adolson on August 9th, 2011 at 9:22 pm said:

it’s up

+ prDarkWolf on August 9th, 2011 at 9:22 pm said:

Awesome

+ Emerald_Swords on August 9th, 2011 at 9:22 pm said:

Nice, can’t wait to update my ps3!

We should also be able to write in comments/Reviews on the ps store.

+ craizieboi888 on August 9th, 2011 at 9:23 pm said:

Time to download the FW! Thanks Sony!

+ RyanMcBainDOTcom on August 9th, 2011 at 9:26 pm said:

So I have to pay to have auto syncing trophies?!!? Wow Sony. Really?!!? This is a feature that should be for everyone. EPIC FAIL.

BTW thanks for STILL not giving us cross game voice chat.

+ Unseen_Soul on August 9th, 2011 at 9:26 pm said:

How bout that party chat…. almost 5 years we’ve been asking for it.

+ JoGam on August 9th, 2011 at 9:28 pm said:

Good Job!

+ invision2212 on August 9th, 2011 at 9:28 pm said:

whoot auto trophy sync love it

+ Cage890 on August 9th, 2011 at 9:29 pm said:

This update brings really good feutures, but really?. Plus members only for the auto trophy sync?
Don’t you guys think your getting a bit carried away with your focuses on the users who fork over the money?
Its the same with the other post for “Playstation PLAY”, it seems soooo much like a good deal, but in reality it really looks like just another plow to get more money. It was already bad enough to have to pay out the *** for a year subcription for PS Plus, and now theres ANOTHER money grubbing program.
You guys claim that the entire Playstation community is important to the company, and I think many people will agree. Your focus should be more towards EVERYONE, rather than just PS Plus subscribers.

+ Genexi2 on August 9th, 2011 at 9:33 pm said:

I was kind of hoping these new features would be done in real time, rather than needing to turn my PS3 on during the night to do what it has to do.

Why can’t these just be done in the background while using the XMB? Add a new icon that displays network activity related to the following or something.

+ Denuq on August 9th, 2011 at 9:34 pm said:

so were is my disable function for trophies, so that i do not have that garbage popup while i am playing my video games?

+ morfika123 on August 9th, 2011 at 9:37 pm said:

“Hi everyone! As we are continuously working toward providing the best gaming and entertainment experience on PlayStation 3″

I really think that so this could be true you must support DivXHD/MKV … And no, I really don’t support piracy, I have a huge blu-ray/dvd collection, but the fact is that this would allow for me to throw out my MediaPlayer, and PS3 to become the center media hub in my room. And anyhow this is a Top 10 request on PS3 Blog Share

PAGE 1 5 6 7 8 9 16