LittleBigPlanet 3

Renegade Ops – Let’s Talk About Upgrades

Ken Balough's Avatar + Posted by Ken Balough on Aug 15, 2011 // Brand Manager, Sega

I wanted to drop by with more information about our PSN PLAY-bound title Renegade Ops, focusing on upgrades you’ll use to enhance your chosen vehicle. The upgrades are there to help you tailor your character to your preferred play style…though all four characters can be played balls-to-the-wall, and you’re never going to have enough time to sit back and take in the gorgeous scenery for long.

First though, allow me to give you the first exclusive look at the latest trailer which surprisingly enough shows off some of these upgrades.

The better you are at the game – in other words the more enemies you destroy, stunts you pull and collectibles you grab – the quicker you’ll reach the next level, and in this game levels mean prizes…well, upgrade points. So, how can you spend these points? Well you’ll have the choice of three skill trees to spread your points over, so you can customise your character depending on how you best play the game. The only limit to this is the amount of upgrades you can have active at one time; the higher your level, the more upgrades you can equip.

Renegade Ops for PS3 (PSN)

What I’ll do below is detail the upgrades you’ll have access to, and then give you an example using my current level 19 Roxy build.

All Character Upgrades

Defense

Spare Parts: Chance of spawning health pick-ups from your vehicle when hit by explosive damage

Nitro: Double tap turbo button for nitro speed boost, also extinguishes fire if used when burning

Second Chance: Death is delayed by 10 seconds so you can find a health pick up to stay alive. Second chance only triggers once per life

Extra Life: Increases the numbers of loves you start each mission with by 1

Hardened Hull: Maximum health increased and health received from pick-ups increased

Auto Repair: Automatically regenerate health when low

Offense

Auto Reload: Automatically generate ammo for secondary weapon over time

Ammo Surplus: Secondary ammo pick-ups give more ammo than normal

Advanced Arms: Rocket launcher – homing rockets, Railgun – shorter charge time, Flame Thrower – Damage increased

Magazine Size – Basic: Secondary weapon magazine size increased

Magazine Size – Elite: Secondary weapon magazine size greatly increased

Now it starts to get different, with each character having unique upgrades, as follows:

Renegade Ops for PS3 (PSN) - Roxy

Roxy Upgrades

Special Ability: Rocket Strike – Drops beacons that are hit by a rain of rockets from the sky, causing area damage.

Offense

Rocket Launcher Kit: Start Every life with Rocket Launcher and some ammo equipped

Tactical

Efficiency – Basic: Rocket Strike cooldown reduced

Efficiency – Elite: Rocket Strike cooldown greatly reduced

Auto Strike: Rocket Strike automatically targets and attempts to directly hit enemies in area

Bombardment – Basic: Rocket Strike duration and radius increased

Bombardment – Elite: Rocket Strike duration and radius greatly increased

Quick Strike: Rocket Strike hits instantly and has increased damage radius

So, to give an example to provide further context, here’s how this ‘expert’ Renegade Ops player does it:

Roxy (Currently level 19)

Defense: Nitro (short additional speed boost, removes fire if burning)

Extra Life (Start each mission with 1 extra life)

Offense: Ammo Surplus (Secondary ammo pick-ups give more ammo than usual)

Tactical: Bombardment – Basic (Rocket Strike duration and radius increased)

Efficiency – Basic (Rocket Strike cooldown reduced)

Quick Strike (Rocket Strike hits instantly and has increased damage radius)

Current skills equipped: Ammo Surplus, Efficiency – Basic and Quick Strike

This build means that the already nimble Buggy that Roxy drives is now suitably powerful, too. Secondary weapons can be spammed a lot more due to the extra ammo, and I’ve powered up my special ability into something quite devastating. The only problem is without any defensive abilities equipped, I’m currently something of a glass cannon…but hey, you play how you play. In this game I like to be in and out of the action quickly dealing as much damage as possible.

Usually in co-operative games, I play a support role, whether that’s as a medic or engineer. But in Renegade Ops I want to be nimble and explosively deadly, and that’s why I prefer Roxy. However, you may like to support your teammates by causing disabling effects to the enemies, so your preference may be for Diz and her awesome EMP special ability.

Renegade Ops for PS3 (PSN) - Diz

Diz Upgrades

Special Ability: EMP – Releases an electromagnetic pulse over a large area disabling all enemies within this area making them susceptible to attacks for a limited period.

Offense

Railgun Kit: Start Every life with Railgun and some ammo equipped

Tactical

Static Shock – Basic: EMP causes minor damage to enemies in addition to normal effects

Static Shock – Elite: EMP causes high damage to enemies in addition to normal effects

Black Out: Duration of EMP effect on enemies increased

Efficiency – Basic: EMP cooldown reduced

Efficiency – Elite: EMP cooldown greatly reduced

Super Charged: Increased EMP radius and enemy rockets are disabled in mid-flight when hit by EMP

Renegade Ops for PS3 (PSN) - Armand

Armand Upgrades

Special Ability: Armadillo Plating (Shield) – Extendable shield plating that causes enemy bullets to bounce back at the attackers.

Offense

Flame Thrower Kit: Start Every life with Flame Thrower and some ammo equipped

Tactical

Efficiency – Basic: Shield cooldown reduced

Efficiency – Elite: Shield cooldown greatly reduced

Rebound: Shield deflects enemy bullets and rockets back at the enemy for damage

Time Extension: Maximum Shield duration increased

Guarded Repair: Regenerate health over time while Shield is active

Ram Plate: Destroy small enemy vehicles when ramming them and no penalty when driving through buildings

Renegade Ops for PS3 (PSN) - Gunnar

Gunnar Upgrades

Special Ability: Heavy Cannon – Extends heavy cannon that fires high velocity, armour piercing rounds causing extreme damage. Vehicle cannot move while active.

Offense

Tactical

Efficiency – Basic: Heavy Cannon cooldown reduced

Efficiency – Elite: Heavy Cannon cooldown greatly reduced

Power Hydraulics: Increased Heavy Cannon turret rotation speed

Explosive Rounds: Heavy Cannon causes additional splash damage to enemies near area of impact

Riot Shield: A shield protects against bullets from front while Heavy Cannon is active

Counter Shot: Heavy Cannon shots destroy enemy rockets in mid-flight

So now you have a good idea of the depth of the upgrades available, and how you can experience four different play-styles by trying every character, or playing the same character using different builds depending on your mood and the composition of your team.

Finally, if any of you are going to PAX this year you’ll be able to get the chance to try Renegade Ops there. So come and find us, get your hands on the game, ask as many questions as you like, and prepare for Renegade Ops. Hopefully I’ll see some of you there!

+ ck2875 on August 15th, 2011 at 10:52 am said:

Seems like this will be fun.

+ devilmosh on August 15th, 2011 at 11:03 am said:

I’m excited.

+ DZORMAGEN on August 15th, 2011 at 11:05 am said:

I already pre-ordered, does this game have on-line co-op?

+ Ivan_MF on August 15th, 2011 at 11:08 am said:

Already purchased, so this is just getting better. ˆˆ

+ theXsilentXchild on August 15th, 2011 at 11:08 am said:

After watching this trailer ill stick with my previous statement. Still bad voice overs and there are a ton of top down vehicles shooters out there that look better then this one and cheaper. Real cheezy as well with those huge numbers popping up when you kill an enemy.

Ken Balough's Avatar

+ David Bruno on August 15th, 2011 at 6:49 pm said:

It’s all over the top by design. It captures a little bit of that old-school essence where high-scores were claims to fame for some. Personally, I love the cheese-ball voice overs. Reminds me of GI Joe. ;)
    Either way, I definitely hope you give the game a shot.

+ Phillyblunz on August 15th, 2011 at 11:11 am said:

Looks like Twisted Metal 2 a bit, thats a good thing.

Let me guess $15, as you doing the PSN Play BS.

Another would be purchase, probably put on back shelf due to being over priced.

I’ll wait till its a PLUS freebie or at least down to about 50%.

+ DZORMAGEN on August 15th, 2011 at 11:13 am said:

@5 theXsilentXchild

I know everyone has their own opinions, and I am fine with that. But why bother posting something negative if you are not interested in this game? Just don’t click the link, and move along.

+ DZORMAGEN on August 15th, 2011 at 11:15 am said:

If people understand the PLAY Promotion a little better they wouldn’t complain about the price of this game! If you buy all 4 games, you get Payday for FREE, 5 games for the price of 4, and it equals about less than $10.00 a game if you are a Plus member.

+ emiru69 on August 15th, 2011 at 11:17 am said:

That’s a lots of explosions! Who sponsors this game Michael Bay?! Just kidding Im sure your script is much better! XD. Can’t wait to play this!

+ theXsilentXchild on August 15th, 2011 at 11:18 am said:

@DZORMAGEN

I read all the posts on here. I figured I would give the game a second chance by watching the trailer to see if I was wrong. ill also try the demo if one comes out and revoke my comment if the game play is fun. I give everything a fair chance but state my opinion on what I see. I still think that $15 is to much for what it is though.

+ theXsilentXchild on August 15th, 2011 at 11:21 am said:

also @DZORMAGEN

I understand the promotion very well. I think it is a good deal if you like all the games but I think they put out a pretty mediocre set for 1 game that is in the buyers eyes.

+ emiru69 on August 15th, 2011 at 11:23 am said:

@ DZORMAGEN: 100% with you. I think the promotion is really good. If you are a plus member you get 3 bucks discount for each game which is a $ 12 dollars discount. You also get a $ 20 game for FREE if you purchase all 4 games. That’s over $ 32 because Im not counting the extras and the themes…. but people still complaining.

+ BLipp17 on August 15th, 2011 at 11:25 am said:

i wasn’t sure about this game (heard VERY little about it for a long time besides the name) but when Giant Bomb put up their Quick Look of it, i went to the PSN and preordered it right away! guys, if you arent sure go to Giant Bomb and watch the Quick Look!

+ theXsilentXchild on August 15th, 2011 at 11:25 am said:

I could also just be a frugal CAG with a big keyboard mouth. who knows…

+ KidCommando on August 15th, 2011 at 11:30 am said:

Looks pretty fun. Not going to do the PLAY thing, but will definitely pick it up when a bigger sale for it hits. Just too many games right now.

Is there online multiplayer or just local?

+ bharken on August 15th, 2011 at 11:31 am said:

No regrets with my pre-order. Looking forward to it.

+ TheNatural21 on August 15th, 2011 at 11:54 am said:

Will there be a demo?

+ stlthriot on August 15th, 2011 at 11:58 am said:

This game looks awesome!!!! Already got it pre-ordered! =D

I’m hoping for lots of level DLC in this game!

+ KwietStorm on August 15th, 2011 at 12:05 pm said:

The effects in this game look surprisingly good, especially smoke.

+ marlyt on August 15th, 2011 at 12:13 pm said:

@ DZORMAGEN

Could not have said it better or more politely myself. Certainly not as politely =] Not just because I think this may be the winner of the Playt titles, but because the way some people treat these devs that come here and post is embarrasing. I’ve always thought that PS3 users were a cut above the xcrap loudmouths. But everyday for the last year or so I just get disappointed by the rudeness some people display here. Too bad it’s an anonymous medium because I’m sure their mothers would spank them. Yes I get rude on this board all the time, but only out of frustration at the indecency others portray. (two wrongs don’t make a right…I KNOW MOM.)

+ FORMIK on August 15th, 2011 at 12:21 pm said:

This looks like a good classic arcade shooter! I like the leveling system not normally seen in a game like this.

I’m not sure I like the apparent price hike to $15, but then it could just be this selection of PSN Play games that happen to be at this price. Maybe they’re justified, with the content of the game?

@theXSilentXchild, I totally agree with you about the voice-overs. I also think they could have used evergreen trees over deciduous ones.

+ theXsilentXchild on August 15th, 2011 at 12:29 pm said:

Ah… I see what you did there :)

@ Formik

Totally! evergreen is overrated!

+ theXsilentXchild on August 15th, 2011 at 12:30 pm said:

er…

Underrated… doh!

+ FeDx86 on August 15th, 2011 at 12:57 pm said:

Micheal Bay!!! BOOM!!! BANG!!!

+ GT-420 on August 15th, 2011 at 1:25 pm said:

Looks really awesome, but Demo please…

+ Trieloth on August 15th, 2011 at 2:15 pm said:

At first I wanted nothing to do with this game but now that i watched the video iam so buying this game asap. Seriously the game looks awesome for that price!

+ Trieloth on August 15th, 2011 at 2:28 pm said:

silent child? wtf why so rude? this is a DL game dood, the budget isnt there. Go ahead and make a game so we can see how Perfect it would/could be…

+ LionHeartX83 on August 15th, 2011 at 3:07 pm said:

Anybody remember Jackal on the NES? This is looks like a souped up sequel, and that’s a good thing!

Ken Balough's Avatar

+ David Bruno on August 15th, 2011 at 6:45 pm said:

Yeah, that was one of the first things I thought of when I saw it too. Definitely not a bad thing. Renegade Ops is all about bringing that classic arcade gameplay back and making it current with a bevy of killer features.

+ Heavenly_king on August 15th, 2011 at 3:18 pm said:

already pre-ordered!!! :D

+ theXsilentXchild on August 15th, 2011 at 3:28 pm said:

@Trieloth

In progress… working title is how to make the forum mad at you for commenting on a mediocre game that will be downloaded and forgotten in a day or so after release.

It will be a first person rpg using a usb keyboard. Not unlike typing of the dead.

Im shooting for next years play bundle. Standard $15 price point. Dont worry, those that preorder it will receive a static theme. Pretty sweet deal in MY opinion.

+ mikedo2007 on August 15th, 2011 at 3:53 pm said:

Oh this game looks promising and fun when I saw the preview video, I like the gameplay. I might get this.

+ rockinjs864 on August 15th, 2011 at 4:23 pm said:

game looks pretty good I don’t think it’s worth $15 or $12 in my case might pick it up once it’s under $10 it’s just too many disc titles about to come out for me to think these games are worth their price online co-op or not

P.S. What’s up Kwietstorm and Phillyblunz

+ Cyb3rfr34k-iso on August 15th, 2011 at 6:00 pm said:

serriously that game look REALLY HOT! count me on that pre-order promo!
thanks for that game!

+ Cyb3rfr34k-iso on August 15th, 2011 at 6:01 pm said:

look fast, clear and full of action!

+ Thebig444 on August 15th, 2011 at 6:46 pm said:

Playstation, dont furget about cross- chat. We are all waiting for it.

+ Fear_Me_All on August 15th, 2011 at 7:48 pm said:

HEY PSN i am still waiting for my message for my free SECTION 8 code for purchase section 8 prejudice

wonder why you did close the thread for it ….
(dont want people ask for they code!???)

it seem no one receive it is it a other lie from PSN ?

swarm was announce at 4.99$ but was offer at 7.49$ (still got screen shot for proof)

+ MGO_Count on August 15th, 2011 at 8:35 pm said:

The SFX sounds amazing!

+ AngelSoldier on August 15th, 2011 at 8:52 pm said:

Pre-ordered ! Can’t Wait !

I love PSN. <3

+ hondadude4life on August 15th, 2011 at 9:07 pm said:

hello i was just wondering if anyone else has tried to sign up for the call of duty elite and it says, ( Your account information could not be verified) because i have tried both of my screen names and it tells me that, so i went to the main page of sony to see if i could login and i can but if you go to where it says “Account Settings” and click on manage account it tells you

Warning

PlayStation®Network Account management is located on a different site. If you continue, you will leave PlayStation.com and be required to sign-in to the PlayStation®Network again to manage your account.

hit continue

it tells me.

Site Maintenance Notice
The server is currently down for maintenance.
We apologize for the inconvenience. Please try again later. has this happen to anybody

+ chomik02 on August 15th, 2011 at 9:25 pm said:

umm 41st!…wesside and game looks sick

+ ViolentGene on August 15th, 2011 at 10:16 pm said:

Want this game SO BAD.

+ Brandon_2535 on August 16th, 2011 at 4:10 am said:

Been following the game for quite some time now and it really looks great! I might pre-order so I can get that theme for free too!

Any chance of seeing a trophy list soon? I do love those trophies! Just don’t make them too hard… ;)

One more thing, thanks for having online co-op support! It means a lot!

+ JonJonXD on August 16th, 2011 at 6:55 am said:

Looks interesting.

Will there be a demo on Day 1?

+ VectorRaven on August 16th, 2011 at 9:02 am said:

Looks cool.

+ reson8er on August 16th, 2011 at 2:07 pm said:

At first glance I dismissed this game, but after digging a bit I pre-ordered it. It looks really, really fun. For anyone interested in it, I suggest checking out Giantbomb.com. They have a quicklook available of about 10 minutes of gameplay.

+ CrashSpyro on August 16th, 2011 at 2:48 pm said:

Loved Just Cause 2 and it seems like Avalanche has taken everything they’ve learned with that game and applied to an arcade game.

+ PimblyCharles on August 19th, 2011 at 1:56 pm said:

I like to support my favorite game developers when I can, and Avalanche is very high up on that list. I love Just Cause 1 & 2, so after hearing about this being included with Play, I pre-ordered it immediately. I was still unsure of the details of the game until I watched a quicklook of the game. It looks so over the top like David Bruno said above. Reminds me a lot of the chaos in Just Cause 2. I hear the dual stick controls are spot on too, with some really nice animations when doing 180s. You can also blow up buildings by driving into them. The environments I’ve seen so far look really nice and detailed. Being able to play co-op is just icing on the cake so far. Avalanche & SEGA, you guys make me a happy gamer; thanks.

+ PhraseUniverse99 on September 13th, 2011 at 9:10 am said:

This game looks awesome! Reminds of Jungle Strike from the 16-bit days (one of my all-time fav games). Can’t wait to play this.