PS4 - Batman Arkham Knight

Live from gamescom: PlayStation 3 Now $249

Jack Tretton's Avatar + Posted by Jack Tretton on Aug 16, 2011 // President & CEO

Hello PlayStation Nation,

I have some exciting news to share with you today. As many of you know, it has been nearly five years since the PS3 first came to the U.S. market with its built in Blu-ray player, integrated hard-drive, built-in wireless, and unmatched hi-def gaming. Today, more than 50 million PS3’s have been sold worldwide, more than 2,495 Blu-ray titles are available and the PS3’s expansive portfolio of games and video content on PlayStation Network exceeds 60,000 titles.

While others in the space are losing steam, PlayStation 3 is gaining momentum and giving gamers everywhere more of what they want: an unparalleled line-up of exclusive games and access to the best in sports, movies and TV, all at a great value.

Today, I believe that value becomes even more evident. I’m excited to share with you that effective immediately at retailers throughout North America, the 160 GB PS3 and the 320GB PS3 are now available for $249 and $299, respectively. In addition, a limited edition inFAMOUS 2 bundle is now available at participating retailers across North America. The bundle retails for $299 and includes a 320 GB PlayStation 3, a copy of inFAMOUS 2 and a 30-day membership to PlayStation Plus.

The new price will make the PS3 more accessible than ever before, so there’s never been a better time to join PlayStation Nation. We know that while future-proof technology is important to you, content is still king — that’s why we continue to focus on bringing you exclusive “must have” titles that are unmatched by anything else on the market. With games like Resistance 3, Ratchet & Clank: All 4 One and one of my personal favorites, Uncharted 3, all on the horizon, there’s a lot of great entertainment in store for you.

Of course, PS3 owners also have free access to PlayStation Network and its lineup of marquee content services for watching hi-def movies, TV and sporting events. Netflix. Hulu Plus. Vudu. MLB.TV. NHL Gamecenter. We have them all for you…and it just keeps getting better.

We take our commitment to the millions of PlayStation fans out there very seriously. We don’t just want you to be part of the PlayStation Nation, we want you to be proud to be a PS3 owner. We have many exciting things planned for you in the months ahead, but suffice it to say we are hard at work to bring you more of what you want and more of what you expect. Stay tuned, there’s more to come…

213 Comments

+ Tiax1 on August 16th, 2011 at 12:07 pm said:

New Kevin Butler commercial to announce this please? :)

+ TwinDad on August 16th, 2011 at 12:10 pm said:

Meh. I’m sure it will bump sales. How about Some RPG games to play. WKC2 is on my radar, but don’t see much after that outside of Skyrim.

+ Myke-Myke on August 16th, 2011 at 12:10 pm said:

Yay. Price cut!!!

+ daxter1100 on August 16th, 2011 at 12:11 pm said:

tell us what we want to here that your coming out with a jak and daxter hd collection for ps3

+ FriedConsole on August 16th, 2011 at 12:13 pm said:

When is the price cut for Move?

+ OCxViRuXz on August 16th, 2011 at 12:13 pm said:

Soooooooo……. When are we ganna see are cross game chat SONY??? U did say “u listen to the players and of course the consumers” right??? So when the hell we ganna see cross game chat??? Or do I have to buy a 360???

+ Cyberdragonbax on August 16th, 2011 at 12:14 pm said:

I buy my 160GB PS3 for 299$. Im Mad at Sony -_-

+ igorrocks2 on August 16th, 2011 at 12:14 pm said:

Jack This deserves Kevin Buttler attention.. I know he is like mosquitoes for marketing team in terms of money buyt he do his job – the best way there is

+ ModernYorkster on August 16th, 2011 at 12:14 pm said:

I would like to see a dedicated Facebook, and Twitter application for the PlayStation 3. The web browser doesn’t stay up to date, to make those social network’s relevant

+ yellowdart46 on August 16th, 2011 at 12:14 pm said:

Awesome! I may have to get another one.

+ OCxViRuXz on August 16th, 2011 at 12:15 pm said:

@ daxter1100… Yes they better come out with a jak hd collection :) and hopefully Naughty Dog will do a new jak game as well

+ nYcFrEeWiLL82 on August 16th, 2011 at 12:15 pm said:

@ 23…i dont think they are going to release sorcery this year (even though i really hope they do)..its being kept in the dark…it must be under alot of work ..as long as its released with no issues its all good..but it still is my most anticipated move game yet. Im definitely going to get that move fitness game..my wife is bugging me about a fitness game and since its fun she wont even notice she is actually working out :p

+ ChaseHammerJ on August 16th, 2011 at 12:16 pm said:

BEST NEWS IVE HEARD IN A WHILE!

BRING ON MORE PLAYERS TO PS3!!!!

+ ChaseHammerJ on August 16th, 2011 at 12:17 pm said:

@56 Cyberdragonbax

lol dude i paid $599 for mine…

+ daxter1100 on August 16th, 2011 at 12:17 pm said:

cross game chat if you want that get a 360 pse does not need to be like the xbox 360 ok

+ Budapesti on August 16th, 2011 at 12:19 pm said:

Right, that’s settled it. I’ve been considering getting a second PS3 for ‘upstairs’. Can’t resist any longer.

+ daxter1100 on August 16th, 2011 at 12:20 pm said:

@OCxViRuXz i know what you mean they need to i love those games so much but why do you want the pse to have cross game chat

+ crazystang92 on August 16th, 2011 at 12:22 pm said:

WOW REALLY!! got new slim a week ago :( ahahahaha my timing always suck xD

+ duo5789 on August 16th, 2011 at 12:23 pm said:

Finally! Now I can by a PS3 slim!

+ nafscub on August 16th, 2011 at 12:24 pm said:

Best Buy seems unaware of the 320g inFAMOUS bundle. Anyone know where I can get it for $299?

+ jawara on August 16th, 2011 at 12:25 pm said:

Hey can someone tell me where to buy the infamous ps3 bundle?

+ DPS-ELITE on August 16th, 2011 at 12:25 pm said:

waaaahhhhhhhh…. i just bought mine at regular price. dang it.

+ daxter1100 on August 16th, 2011 at 12:26 pm said:

who cares about uncharted we want jak and daxter on the ps3 NOW NAUGHTY DOG

+ Gigidy17 on August 16th, 2011 at 12:29 pm said:

I was disappointed but I guess my expectations were too hight I did like the vita line up and the PS3 price drop $250 im looking forward to that

+ daxter1100 on August 16th, 2011 at 12:31 pm said:

all the uncharted games are is Assassin’s Creed with guns thats it nothing special what we really want to here about is a jak and daxter hd collection coming to ps3

+ twisstedfuzzball on August 16th, 2011 at 12:32 pm said:

Now we just need the call of duty map packs at the same time as x-box.

+ Airwalkinman17 on August 16th, 2011 at 12:33 pm said:

Awesome. I know someone who should be able to afford one now! :D
The PS3 is super awesome. Best console I’ve ever owned. Can’t wait for the upcoming onslaught. Bring on Resistance 3 and Uncharted baybay!!! WOOT WOOT.

+ theXecutioner on August 16th, 2011 at 12:39 pm said:

Any chance we’ll see the PlayStation Move bundle lower in price as well? In Europe it’s now 59 Euros. $59.99 in the states?

+ zaca21 on August 16th, 2011 at 12:39 pm said:

Heay jack im ya biggest fan

+ ROLO_ONFIRE on August 16th, 2011 at 12:40 pm said:

Great announcement, just give us backwards compatibility already, and more quality Move games :)

+ ItaChu on August 16th, 2011 at 12:42 pm said:

Should have been 200 but its cool

+ tha_duck_man on August 16th, 2011 at 12:44 pm said:

this is one of those times i wish i would have waited to buy my 320g bundle. i paid 400 for the move 320 bundle in feb this yr only 6 months later for it to go down in price so much. sony should offer something to those who recently bought 160 and 320g some kind of a psn credit perhaps. Much like Nintendo did. Maybe well see….

+ OCxViRuXz on August 16th, 2011 at 12:45 pm said:

@ daxter1100… I have a lot of friends that do not play the same games as i do and some friends that do… So it would be awesome for us to play different games and at the same time we can chat and B.S… and with the friends that i do have that play the same games we can be in different servers and still chat. This is why cross game chat would be awesome

+ logicsquirrel on August 16th, 2011 at 12:45 pm said:

Oh good if i should need to replace my current ps3, oh wait this is not as bad as the 360 lol… (currently on my third 360)

+ Train1999 on August 16th, 2011 at 12:46 pm said:

That’s great news for Playstation $249 for a Playstation 3. Can’t beat that!!

+ zech678 on August 16th, 2011 at 12:49 pm said:

why buy 3 ps3 where only play 1 at time dumb hell like price drop good move allready own 1 ps3

+ OCxViRuXz on August 16th, 2011 at 12:52 pm said:

@ zech678… I own 5 ps3′s lol… One of em is backwards comp. still… My other ones are at my friends house for when im over there so i can play and at my girls house… It helps to own more then one lol… I guess ill be buying my 6th system xD

+ Basement_Jew on August 16th, 2011 at 12:55 pm said:

The article said only in North America; I’m traveling to the U.K. to study…does the price drop there as well?

+ expeditopaz on August 16th, 2011 at 12:55 pm said:

Great news:) Hope to see cheaper games too.

+ nv_Los on August 16th, 2011 at 12:55 pm said:

O_O Great News!

+ expeditopaz on August 16th, 2011 at 12:57 pm said:

Basement_Jew, the price will drop in Europe too. 249 euros.

+ TheGuardianFID on August 16th, 2011 at 1:04 pm said:

Way to go Sony!!! 8)

+ technole on August 16th, 2011 at 1:05 pm said:

@Permafry_42, he means losing steam as the competition in not selling as many PS3s monthly. We know what the installed base numbers are.

While the Gamescom announcement did not shock me, I’m sure we will see PS3 come back to to where it belongs in the monthly numbers which is at #1.

+ wowowowo1 on August 16th, 2011 at 1:06 pm said:

60$ for games is alot i dont have that type of money im only 14 if they could just drop it to like 50$ I would be fine. well time to buy madden 12 anyways but love the news keep it up sony!

+ enjionPS on August 16th, 2011 at 1:07 pm said:

Kinda wished I had waited a few months for this price drop… so… Yay I guess?

Good for people that don’t yet own a PS3.

+ roxx81 on August 16th, 2011 at 1:07 pm said:

you owe me $50 >_>

+ swatlee on August 16th, 2011 at 1:09 pm said:

OMG?! It makes me crazy!! I bought PS3 just a month ago?! in $299!! I don’t want any other service just give me my money!

+ saintaqua on August 16th, 2011 at 1:12 pm said:

@ Master of Puppets…are you really that ignorant?
The cheaper Xbox lacks a hdd, still charges for online play, net flix use etc and still has inferior (imo) exclusives.
The discs are cheaply manufactured too.

Oh, and you don’t get a blu-ray player with 360…now do you?

+ brtt150 on August 16th, 2011 at 1:14 pm said:

The $249 price of the PS3 is the best gaming deal on the market. Those that conclude that the lower end Xbox is a better deal are deluding themselves by only looking at price tag. The $249 PS3 has 160 GB of storage, an already built-in Blu-ray player and you don’t have to pay to play online or use video streaming services (i.e. Netflix).

As for why the Nintendo keeps outselling everyone else, there are multiple reasons. The first reason is that Nintendo very successfully marked the Nintendo console as a family and kid friendly gaming system. Secondly, the Nintendo brand is very ingrained in the worldwide community and has been around longer than Microsoft or Sony. Thirdly, the price is something that most people on any budget can reasonably afford. Not to mention the head start Nintendo had with the gimmicky motion control.

+ wowowowo1 on August 16th, 2011 at 1:17 pm said:

doesnt 360 cost 250 too, not that im going to xbox it plain old “sucks”.