PS4 - Transistor

DIRECTV and PlayStation Bring NFL Sunday Ticket to PS3

Phil Rosenberg's Avatar + Posted by Phil Rosenberg on Aug 17, 2011 // Senior Vice President, Business Development, SCEA

Hello PlayStation Nation!

Are you ready for some football!

We are excited to announce that PlayStation has partnered with DIRECTV to bring its popular sports subscription service, NFL SUNDAY TICKET, to the PlayStation 3 game console. PlayStation owners across the country will now have the opportunity to watch every out-of-market Sunday game on their PS3.

DIRECTV and PlayStation announce NFL SUNDAY TICKET on PS3

How do you get in the game? At the start of the season, viewers who do not currently have access to DIRECTV will be able to subscribe to NFL SUNDAY TICKET at the season price of $339.95. Existing DIRECTV customers who already have NFL SUNDAY TICKET and NFL SUNDAY TICKET To-Go through DIRECTV can access the service on their PS3 for no additional charge.

NFL SUNDAY TICKET is a DIRECTV-exclusive sports package that offers:

• Up to 14 NFL games every Sunday
  • Full HD for every football game
  • DIRECTV’s Red Zone Channel

We know that PlayStation fans are huge sports enthusiasts, so adding NFL SUNDAY TICKET is the perfect complement to the PS3’s rapidly growing lineup of sports entertainment, including MLB.TV and NHL GameCenter. We’ll have more info, including a video tutorial and sign up information on the blog shortly. I hope you’re as excited for the football season as we are.

581 Comments

PAGE 1 2 3 4 5 12

+ xThe1x on August 17th, 2011 at 2:14 pm said:

damn son!

PS3 as 2cd reciever for $50? what about 2 PS3s? Triple monitor tailgate party would be dope!

+ davivman on August 17th, 2011 at 2:15 pm said:

As a Redskins fan living in Patriots country, I get maybe 4 or 5 out of 16 skins games a year on TV anyway (between national broadcasts, NFL network, and the occasional coverage on Fox). So I would be paying well over $300 for those 11-12 games I ame missing (without the ability to pause or watch at different time like I can on my Tivo). That is a bit pricey. I am glad that at least this option is available to me should money cease to be a concern in my life, but until then I think I will pass.

+ TwinDad on August 17th, 2011 at 2:16 pm said:

I already have the service. But $50 to add the PS3 as an additional receiver to watch the games is reasonable.

Only question is would the PS3 could as another leased receiver to DTV and cost $5/month?

+ boxmyth on August 17th, 2011 at 2:16 pm said:

Others have said it already, but it bears repeating:
YYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!1!!!

This news is awesome for people like me who live in an apartment that can’t get DirecTV, yet love football.
Thank you Sony! Thank you DirecTV!

+ ItztheMedicine on August 17th, 2011 at 2:16 pm said:

I like the fact you can get Sunday Ticket without DirecTV on PS3….But $340? Nah I’ll pass. I can buy 8 nose bleed tickets for that price and BE at all the home games.

+ KnickinIt on August 17th, 2011 at 2:20 pm said:

Ok, can we get NBA League Pass now?

And 50 on top of the already absurd 300+ if you have it on Directv is kind of ridiculous. It should be free for those that already subscribe to Sunday Ticket.

+ zech678 on August 17th, 2011 at 2:24 pm said:

bad move there damn that crap

+ zech678 on August 17th, 2011 at 2:25 pm said:

like sony some time made bad chioce sometime

+ theXsilentXchild on August 17th, 2011 at 2:27 pm said:

good god! who buys this? who has time to watch 14 games on sunday? just google it find it somewhere or watch the highlights. there is alot more you can do with that kinda cash. Just watch whatever your local home team is and enjoy… Not that team that you watched when you lived in Pittsburgh for 2 years.

+ TheHerp80 on August 17th, 2011 at 2:32 pm said:

@everyonewhoiscomplaining You guys are so dumb! take a second to think about what this offer really is. This is for people who CAN NOT get NFL SUNDAY TICKET because they DO NOT have DIRECTV. The price is NOT set by SONY. The price is set by the NFL and DIRECTV. Is it expensive yes it is but if you can’t watch your favorite NFL team because you don’t like in the area, $340 isn’t that bad, especially now that you don’t have to get locked into a 2 year contract with DIRECTV just to get NFL Games.

Sony is giving NFL fans a way to watch games now, if you have Sunday Ticket this probably isn’t for you but this is for those who can’t or don’t want to have DIRECTV.

anyone complaining about the price, you are barking up the wrong tree.

+ JAMKOR on August 17th, 2011 at 2:33 pm said:

As long as MLB and the NFL have an antiquated model that still has blackouts, I’ll keep my money.

+ b00twah on August 17th, 2011 at 2:33 pm said:

NBA League Pass!

+ King_Slender on August 17th, 2011 at 2:39 pm said:

Can anyone clarify. is the $50 only if you subscribe to DirecTV AND Sunday Ticket already to get access on your PS3 or if you just have DirecTV? I’m a DirecTV subscriber who isn’t getting Sunday Ticket, so it’s only $50 if I want PS3 access only?

+ Mr2Good3 on August 17th, 2011 at 2:39 pm said:

So does this mean you dont have to be a directv subscriber, and if so, the payment must be paid in full?

+ burningwind on August 17th, 2011 at 2:46 pm said:

DirectTV loves to price gouge. Nice step but should get a better partner that doesn’t screw people over quite so badly.

+ Son_of_Ghost on August 17th, 2011 at 2:51 pm said:

im very interested to know if i have friends who have signed up for DirectTV and have Sunday Ticket if i pay the $50 and get their account number then can i watch all the games in my house as well? cause i think thats the greatest thing ive ever heard. think about it? you dont need a satellite to watch and all you need to do is pay $50 to make your PS3 and an additonal reciever for Sunday Ticket.

+ cquinteros on August 17th, 2011 at 2:51 pm said:

Were in an economic crisis and you expect us to be able to pay over 300 dollars for only one season of football!!!
Not interested anymore!

+ lisatsunami on August 17th, 2011 at 2:52 pm said:

I don’t care about this since we haven’t had an NFL team since the Rams snuck out of town in the middle of the night.

However, the only advantage I could see for this is your PS3 is semi portable. You could take it to a buddy’s to watch football all day long, or to a picnic or tailgating. Much easier than climbing your roof & taking your dish. Of course, you’d need wi-fi but can’t you use one of those smart phone hot spot thingies?

If somebody already suggested this, sorry, got bored after the first few complaints. Not worth ploughing throough.

+ dahelak on August 17th, 2011 at 2:53 pm said:

I agree with the price being a bit steep, but not going to lie, I’m getting this ASAP!
IT’S FOOTBALL SEASON!!!!

+ infamousXX87XX on August 17th, 2011 at 2:55 pm said:

lol the only reason I got direct tv was because of Sunday ticket. One day I might not have to worry about dtv because i can watch it on the ps3

+ mixedkidbx on August 17th, 2011 at 2:56 pm said:

Wow i had been waiting for some NFL app to come to PS3. When it finally does happen, it comes with this price…. lol.

Oh well……

+ DHILIFE on August 17th, 2011 at 2:59 pm said:

@26…
Would you pay that much to watch the Packers? J/K, Keep up the great podcasting!
GO BEARS!!!!

+ Sponge-worthy on August 17th, 2011 at 2:59 pm said:

Okay so:

14 games per week, x
12 minutes of gameplay per game (average), x
17 weeks, =

2,856 minutes, or 47 hours, 36 minutes of entertainment per season.

Divided by $340, that gives 8 minutes, 24 minutes of gameplay coverage per dollar, assuming the customer watches every single game all season.

It’s great that this is being offered, but it will be tough for most viewers to get their money’s worth.

+ Son_of_Ghost on August 17th, 2011 at 3:00 pm said:

now all i have to figure out is who im going to ask for their account number that wont make me pay over the additional $50 for a service that would cost me $334 if i didnt have thier account information

+ AwShucks on August 17th, 2011 at 3:07 pm said:

I think some people saying this is expensive don’t realize how expensive it can be to go to a bar every week to watch your favorite team play.

Since I don’t drink this wouldn’t save me that much money overall, but it would allow me to watch the games I want to see at home and actually be able to hear them. So it’s tempting.

+ gameman258 on August 17th, 2011 at 3:08 pm said:

i would be fine with getting the nfl ticket free in playstation plus but, $340!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NO WAY maybe $50 a year. i would get it 4 that n just quit playstation pus!

+ mrt144 on August 17th, 2011 at 3:08 pm said:

If this was Redzone, i’d be more exited. Redzone at 10-15 a month would be instant purchase in perpetuity.

+ DZORMAGEN on August 17th, 2011 at 3:09 pm said:

I wish there was a way cheaper package that only has the team you like! Pick 1 team, and follow them all season long. I don’t want to spend that type of money when I am following 1 team.

+ mrt144 on August 17th, 2011 at 3:10 pm said:

Also, this would be a justifiable to the wife purchase if it was about 20-25 bucks a month for the duration of the season.

+ Chase167 on August 17th, 2011 at 3:14 pm said:

my brother already has it .my guess is i can pay $50 and get on my ps3

+ llakoski on August 17th, 2011 at 3:15 pm said:

its great to have NFL TV on the ps3 but not at that price. its too much

+ llakoski on August 17th, 2011 at 3:17 pm said:

if they put the offer at half of the price, I’ll bet anything that they are going to have a lot of subscription and a lot of new customers too.

+ gameman258 on August 17th, 2011 at 3:17 pm said:

not that id ont like playstation plus i just like football. im just saying i would get the nfl ticket if it was $50 or cheaper or if it was free or a better reduced price in playstation plus. Thank You. plz reply if this could ever happen.

+ crazy_kracker1 on August 17th, 2011 at 3:23 pm said:

direct tv sucks id rather take the 300 bucks and buy another ps3 slim in case the one i have get the ring of death

+ SalMoriarty on August 17th, 2011 at 3:25 pm said:

@50 The NBA is still around?

+ Link01 on August 17th, 2011 at 3:27 pm said:

Could you guys start grabbing stuff now sports related tv wise?

+ Link01 on August 17th, 2011 at 3:27 pm said:

* not sports related

+ BrodiMAN on August 17th, 2011 at 3:28 pm said:

2 things making me not want to sign up for this:

1 – That price, I have a full time job and could probably afford it, but seeing as how i’m going to watch at most maybe 15 games (depending on how far the Falcons can go), I won’t feel like I’m getting my money’s worth.

2 – Those asinine blackout rules. Why get this if I can’t even watch my favorite team even though I don’t live close enough to the stadium to go see them play?

No and no…

+ TruRage on August 17th, 2011 at 3:28 pm said:

@ 36, you forgot to mention a really overly-priced hooker.

+ FallenAngel72282 on August 17th, 2011 at 3:29 pm said:

My opinion only, but the 300 bucks is kinda a better deal than signing with Directv. The packages that you get can cost anywhere from 50 to 100 a month easy. Plus, you are locked into a 2 year deal with them and it is expensive to break it. Plus, The Ticket is this year only free. Your second year when all your deal prices go regular so does the ticket which is 300 bucks. (I had Directv 2 years ago) This is great for someone like me if I love football, but doesn’t want that service. My own question is that the picture can’t be as good as the Directv picture and what is the minimum speed internet do I need to have this run perfect because MLB.TV gives me trouble sometimes.

+ Son_of_Ghost on August 17th, 2011 at 3:30 pm said:

can you imagine going camping bring your PS3, a generator, and a flat screen tv, with a wireless hot spot. nfl sunday ticket in the woods…the possibilities are endless

THEY SAY IM A DREAMER, BUT IM NOT THE ONLY ONE

+ YungShep on August 17th, 2011 at 3:31 pm said:

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS.. I LOBBIED FOR THIS LAST YEAR! THIS IS A WIN FOR DIRECT TV OWNERS.

+ Shane_O on August 17th, 2011 at 3:31 pm said:

This news made my week…and it’s only Wednesday!

I’ve always wanted NFL Sunday Ticket, but I could never get it before because I don’t really want DirecTV (or even cable, for that matter).

Next up, NBA League Pass? Oh…wait….let’s see what happens with their lock-out first.

+ ANTHONY812 on August 17th, 2011 at 3:35 pm said:

$349??? really??? wow i can buy another ps3 & a year worth a xbox live…ill pass im sure i can find all those games streaming live online 4 free

+ GTP480 on August 17th, 2011 at 3:37 pm said:

I was so happy——– until I read the price. The NFL is no different than most greedy corporations. No thanks, .I will be content with my Comcastic NFL season.

+ Elway358 on August 17th, 2011 at 3:40 pm said:

I ditched DirecTV and their constantly rising prices a looong time ago. Wouldn’t recommend getting in bed with them to anyone.

Just another perfect example of a ripoff here. You gonna charge current subscribers who have already given you over $300 another $50 to use their own freakin equipment?…umm yeah F you greedy pigs…

+ W-8oRd3rPaTr0l-J on August 17th, 2011 at 3:45 pm said:

I don’t get this at all. In the flyers for Direct TV for all the packages except for the very basic, it says NFL Sunday Ticket now included at no extra charge. Why wouldn’t people just pay $35 a month and get Direct Tv and the Sunday ticket would be free. Or you could just pay, what is it; $40 a month to watch all the games on Nfl.com? I could care less about the Nfl myself, I’m a big college football guy, where they play for the love of the game and to better themselves, not where it’s all about the money and cry and won’t play if they don’t make a million more this year.

+ W-8oRd3rPaTr0l-J on August 17th, 2011 at 3:48 pm said:

On top of my last comment, it says it is over a $130 value. $130 is far off from $300. Why would it cost more to stream it, then watching it live, I don’t get it.

+ AwShucks on August 17th, 2011 at 3:49 pm said:

This definitely isn’t for everyone. But for people who currently go to the bar every week just to be able to watch their team (as not everyone lives in the same town their favorite team is in) this could be a deal. I’m still undecided, but I think people talking about how expensive it is are overreacting. I don’t think Sunday Ticket has ever been about the casual fan. It’s more of a hardcore NFL or specific team fan.

+ SMOKINACESFB on August 17th, 2011 at 3:49 pm said:

ill pass there are way to many games comming out this holiday season and 300$ ill put to all the games commin out and watch my local team on sunday good enough for me

PAGE 1 2 3 4 5 12