LittleBigPlanet 3

UNCHARTED: Golden Abyss for PS Vita – Meet Marisa Chase

John Garvin's Avatar + Posted by John Garvin on Aug 17, 2011 // Creative Director, Bend Studios

Bend StudioUNCHARTED: Golden Abyss for PS Vita

Hi everyone! I’m the the writer and director of UNCHARTED: Golden Abyss. We’ve just released a trailer that introduces a new and important character from our story. You met Jason Dante in our E3 demo and learned a little bit about him: that he and Drake have known each other a long time, that they each know Sully, that Drake taught Dante a lot about treasure hunting, that Dante can be a little, well, greedy.

This time we’re introducing Marisa Chase. But as she tells Drake at one point, call her “Chase,” only her grandfather calls her “Marisa.” I don’t want to give too much away at this point, but I can say this: once again Nathan Drake finds himself on a quest to solve a historical mystery which he hopes will lead to a fantastic treasure. The trick is staying alive long enough to get there. No easy task. And when Drake gets between Dante and Chase, events quickly spiral out of control.

We were lucky to get some really great talent to play our key characters. Nolan North, of course, reprises his role of Nathan Drake. Nolan brings more than just acting to the story, he helps make the dialogue his own, creates funny ad libs on the spot, and helps rework scenes that might be having problems. Chase is played by the talented Christine Lakin, who you might remember as Al from the television show “Step by Step.” Dante is played by the amazing Jason Spisak, who’s played almost as many characters as Mr. North. Working with these guys and watching them bring our UNCHARTED world to life was amazing. I think Amy Hennig, the writer over at Naughty Dog, once told me that good actors can make even my bad dialogue sound good. Not that I have any… :)

Anyway, I hope everyone enjoys the trailer. There’s more information on UNCHARTED: Golden Abyss coming soon.

78 Comments

PAGE 1 2

+ NoGodsOnlyMan on August 17th, 2011 at 8:06 am said:

if there is a Uncharted Vita bundle at launch i will buy it day one!!!!!!

+ SBR-CJ on August 17th, 2011 at 8:16 am said:

Looks great, must have when the Vita comes out !

+ TomHoang on August 17th, 2011 at 8:17 am said:

2012 :(

+ mystikalguy on August 17th, 2011 at 8:17 am said:

@ NoGodsOnlyMan….Same here, Uncharted : Golden Abyss is the main reason right now to get a PS Vita IMO :D

+ KazeEternal on August 17th, 2011 at 8:20 am said:

I second Uncharted Bundle! This game is the main reason I’m getting a Vita, with other things being in a close second like being able to take my PSP/PSOne library with me, Killzone, Resistance, and a SECOND ANALOG STICK!!!!

Something up with Drake’s face though, I can’t quite put my finger on it. I don’t think its Sony Bend’s fault either I feel that way with Uncharted 3′s video so far too.

Anyway story and gameplay looks like Golden Abyss will do Amy and the team at Naughty Dog proud. Don’t suppose we’ll see any other familiar faces along the way. Eddie Raja was short lived.

+ syk1288 on August 17th, 2011 at 8:22 am said:

@mystikaguy: No it’s not. You don’t buy a new system to play old games. I would rather have Uncharted 3 on the Vita and play on the go with friends that are at home online.

We need NEW games not something the same but different. It’s kinda dumb that this UC isn’t connected to UC3 gameplay wise.

I’m going to be really busy play UC3 why come out with this.

+ DominantDude on August 17th, 2011 at 8:25 am said:

Anybody else notice how Drake is a fortune hunter yet… He hasnt found anything yet?

+ t3chnol05ic on August 17th, 2011 at 8:25 am said:

man these graphics are comparable to the ps3

+ DessieB93 on August 17th, 2011 at 8:26 am said:

Is there a spoiler at the end of the trailer?

+ Korbei83 on August 17th, 2011 at 8:26 am said:

You guys are doing a fantastic job bring Drake down to size. Keep it up!

Can’t wait to play this new Uncharted adventure.

As an irrelevant aside, I couldn’t disagree more with this syk1288′s view. Give me a Thumbs Down icon please.

+ Eli7e-v335 on August 17th, 2011 at 8:27 am said:

In agreement on the Golden Abyss launch bundle! This game makes the Vita even more appealing than it already is from a hardware standpoint! Can’t wait to hear the release date. Keep it up Sony!

+ Pendharker on August 17th, 2011 at 8:28 am said:

I agree with NoGodsOnlyMan on this one. I’m hoping the Vita does launch in a bundle and I will scoop that action up so fast on launch day!

+ rubiseany on August 17th, 2011 at 8:29 am said:

I’m a huge Uncharted fan but this looks kinda boring. Its too similar to Drake’s Fortune and personally, I don’t think the PSVita will sell. If it does it will no doubt be just because of this game to be fair.

+ JLP_M on August 17th, 2011 at 8:33 am said:

Really excited now for this game, at first I wasn’t then I relised they are still working on it. Can’t wait for the Vita but like someone said its coming out 2012 :( Would of liked it before XMAs.

+ Phoenix_Law on August 17th, 2011 at 8:34 am said:

One of the many supporters of this being a launch bundle

+ tulaib_100 on August 17th, 2011 at 8:37 am said:

to the people who think ps vita’s graphics and mechanics are boring … ( i think that too but uncharted on the other hand looks phenomenal but resistance burning skies … nahhh ) .. its just the starting the ps vita engine is yet have to evolve … than in a year u’ll see games with extravagant graphics and fluid physic mechanics

+ Conaaando on August 17th, 2011 at 8:40 am said:

SONY, SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY! :-)

+ Virgo21Child on August 17th, 2011 at 8:48 am said:

@13 go buy a 3DS, if you owned a psp you will own a vita its that simple really psp sold 72 million worldwide have you got 72mill ok then the Vita will do well since am buying it.

Non believers like you are a let down to call yourself a sony fan, you should be ashamed

+ scorpio182 on August 17th, 2011 at 8:51 am said:

Looks great… not sure im on-board for the vita but things sure are looking great.

Give me the NHL series from EA and that might help..:)

I like the idea that someone had here it what i hoped for PSP/Ps2. That you can play the same game on the PSvita as the PS3 and play multiplyer online PS3 vs PSVITA players…Introduce that and im SOLD!!!

+ zombie9 on August 17th, 2011 at 8:55 am said:

Can we get an HD remake for PS3. Just seems like every thing I get on PSP gets an HD remake anyway. :)

+ BLAZER105 on August 17th, 2011 at 8:57 am said:

I love the Uncharted series. Unfortunately, I can’t afford a Vita because of college expenses. :(

+ ItaChu on August 17th, 2011 at 9:00 am said:

Is it gonna be available at Launch? I hope the Tokyo Game Show gives the release date of the Vita ….I really need to start saving up for this!

+ neostardust on August 17th, 2011 at 9:02 am said:

I really hope there is an Uncharted Vita Bundle it would..be great! Not to mention all the other games at launch.

+ Heavenly_king on August 17th, 2011 at 9:03 am said:

@20: You said it, some PSP games; and NOT PSVITA GAMES.

OT, this game looks fantastic, almost like Uncharted 2. I really wondering how a God of War game for the Vita will look like. I think it is safe to bet it will look almost like GOWIII :D

I WANT A GOD OF WAR game for PSVITA. Hopefully Ready at Dawn is doing a remake of GOW: Betrayal :)

+ BAD-KID_ on August 17th, 2011 at 9:03 am said:

I LOVE YOU SONY :)

+ Heavenly_king on August 17th, 2011 at 9:04 am said:

@22: Most probably this game will come at launch in USA and Europe.

+ Heavenly_king on August 17th, 2011 at 9:05 am said:

They are hyping this game way to much so this game probably is a launch title :)

+ zombie9 on August 17th, 2011 at 9:08 am said:

Bend Stuido, lol I’m playing Resistance on PSP right now. need an HD remake of that as well Sweet game:)

+ saintaqua on August 17th, 2011 at 9:11 am said:

I can’t wait!!

+ bldudas on August 17th, 2011 at 9:11 am said:

This game looks great. Maybe a launch title?

+ gema11981 on August 17th, 2011 at 9:12 am said:

Looks awesome but if the vita gets delayed anymore and it doesnt come out before end of the year like they said at E3 I may not even want it once I get my upgraded iphone just saying.

+ Airwalkinman17 on August 17th, 2011 at 9:17 am said:

Holy cow I can’t believe all that cinematic action is going to be available in the palm of my hand. :D
Lookin awesome. If BEND was able to pull off an awesome R:Retribution title on PSP I have total faith that they can pull off an epic Uncharted Vita title. GO BEND!!!

+ Zacky-V-A7X on August 17th, 2011 at 9:25 am said:

Totally Amazing!!!!!!!!!

+ devilforce12 on August 17th, 2011 at 9:35 am said:

i want it!!!!

+ Ethereal on August 17th, 2011 at 9:42 am said:

Absolutely breath taking!

+ ViiiFight on August 17th, 2011 at 9:43 am said:

3 uncharted love the best game released for the best company of the times!!!!
Love Playstation!

+ DuoMaxwell007 on August 17th, 2011 at 9:48 am said:

Sigh an Uncharted game Ill never play… I hate when great Console games get released on other systems or Handhelds.. final fantasy…. kingdom hearts.. god of war… metal gear… white knight chronicles origins…the new ZOE game (yes thats right I said new ZOE) and now Uncharted.

I really hope theres a console rerelase of this in the future (kinda like with god of war origins and metal gear peacewalker… i thought Id miss out on those but with their HD rereleases on PS3 it looks like Sony and Konami actually care about us non handheld owners)

But I doubt thatll happen with this Uncharted game as they need something thats gonna sell vIta and well whos gonna buy it if they could just get the game on PS3? By the way does this take place in the UC 1-3 continuity im guess its before part 1 as Drake looks younger.. but if thats the case why is Marissa or Dante not mentioned in any of the PS3 games?

+ DuoMaxwell007 on August 17th, 2011 at 9:48 am said:

I mean in Uncharted 1 it seemed that that was Drakes first time dealing with bad guys trying to kill him on his expeditions.. whereas on part 2 it was pretty clear and obvious he was used to that sorta thing.. so if the Vita game does take place before part 1.. why does Drake not display the “Im used to this” attitude in Part 1 that he does in part 2?

+ Deathspear666 on August 17th, 2011 at 9:51 am said:

A must have :)

+ Neil on August 17th, 2011 at 9:58 am said:

Marisa’s hairstyle is dated.

+ Arcadian_Rebel on August 17th, 2011 at 9:59 am said:

This may actually make me want to buy a PSVita!

+ nYcFrEeWiLL82 on August 17th, 2011 at 10:00 am said:

MAN I WAS REALLY LOOKING FOWARD TO PLAYING THE VITA THIS WINTER…BUT I GUESS I CAN NJOY IT DURING THE SPRING BREAK….I LOVE WORKING FOR A CHARTER SCHOOL! ESSPECIALLY WHEN I GET GET PAID SCHOOL VACATION DAYS :P I WILL BE SPENDING ALOT OF TIME WITH MY NEW BORN SON AND THE VITA (AS SOON AS HE KNOCKS OUT THAT IS :P)

+ Justp94 on August 17th, 2011 at 10:04 am said:

Please, let this be released on PlayStation 3 and PS Vita???

+ remanutd5 on August 17th, 2011 at 10:13 am said:

Uncharted Golden Abyss
Escape Plan
Little Big Planet
Sound Shapes
Gravity Daze
Ruin
Little Deviants
ModNation Racers
Resistance Burning Skies
Wipeout 2048
those are the games im looking forward to play on playstation vita , cant wait !!!!!!
oh and will playstation vita have its own youtube app ?

+ TarzanSr on August 17th, 2011 at 10:14 am said:

Game looks excellent and up to the standards that the PS3 version holds. The Story also looks promising, for a new studio you guys did a great job. Don’t forget to pat yourself on the back. :)

+ Mobius2525 on August 17th, 2011 at 10:16 am said:

Trade in my xbox360 and games a bunch of PSP games some PS3 games for a total of $325.43 of amazon.com credit. To buy this system and Uncharted, my shopping is now complete:)

+ Korbei83 on August 17th, 2011 at 10:24 am said:

@DuoMaxwell007

You hate when games you want to play are released. Yeah. That sucks.

#Firstworldproblems

+ TributaryPuppet on August 17th, 2011 at 10:42 am said:

Does Marisa’s voice sounds like Selena Gomez? or is it just me?…

+ DuoMaxwell007 on August 17th, 2011 at 10:45 am said:

@Korbei

Learn to read. I hate when games I want get released on Consoles THEY didnt originate on… meaning in this case with this Game Id have to pay 150 bucks plus the cost of the game to play something that should be on the PS3 (or ps4 whenever that comes out)

+ SogeKing on August 17th, 2011 at 10:51 am said:

This game is looking seriously good. Hope to see it at PAX.

PAGE 1 2