Final Fantasy XV

Aug 18

Aug 18

Resistance 3 Dev Diary: Tools for Resistance

Brandon Winfrey's Avatar Posted by Community Intern, Insomniac Games

Gamescom has been amazing. However, something is still missing – an unyielding void in the soul of Resistance that needs to be filled. Something cold. Something unyielding. Something… Sledgehammery? Yes, that’s it! We need to show you the Sledgehammer, Resistance 3’s brutally blunt new melee weapon. Here – let me summon the video gods and see if they can whip something up for the latest R3 Dev Diary.

By George (or Rey), they’ve done it! Our all-new Resistance 3 Dev Diary features the first gameplay footage of Capeill’s intimate side – intimate as in he’s close enough to Grims to smash in their deformed faces with a giant Sledgehammer. It’s pretty wicked (except if you’re a Grim).

Plus, you will get a detailed look at the human guns at your disposal in the game. Just because they aren’t modified with some fancy alien technology doesn’t mean they won’t plow through the Chimera faster than Rainbow Dash can clear the skies of Ponyville. Go in-depth with the explosive nuances of the Magnum, the Carbine, and the Marksman, and a peek at their powerful upgrades for good measure. Because what’s better than shooting things? Shooting things – better!

Whether you’re stretching your trigger finger with the exotic weapons or getting your melee mash-fest on with the Sledgehammer, Resistance 3 offers you a feast of fiasco-enducing human weaponry. The good news is, you won’t have to wait long to get your hands on them either. The game comes out on September 6th in North America, so be sure to pre-order now and garner exclusive bonus content. Also, for all the latest Resistance 3 information be sure to follow Insomniac’s Twitter and Facebook.

So, my fellow Resistites – what weapon do you think you’ll be utilizing the most on your journey to New York? Sound off in the comments!

Add Your Own

reson8er said:

August 18th, 7:05 am

When using this I will be singing the Peter Gabriel song in my head! Can’t wait till the 6th!!

Brandon Winfrey's Avatar

Brandon Winfrey said:

August 18th, 10:06 am

That sounds like a fantastic plan! Thanks for the support!

dreddi1 said:

August 18th, 7:12 am

This is so awesome! :D

bbonds_007 said:

August 18th, 7:25 am

I was hoping for better sledgehammer animations, more like what Killzone 3 has done with brutal melee but oh well.

quirowekjefhgekr said:

August 18th, 7:28 am

looks awesome. this will be a first day buy.

Rival_31 said:

August 18th, 7:39 am

Sledgehammer. I wonder if I can beat the game with it.

JimmyChaos said:

August 18th, 7:43 am

Tools for Resistance: Sandpaper. Game’s looking awesome. I’m missing Nathan Hale tho! lol

SMOKINACESFB said:

August 18th, 7:49 am

already paid in full at gamestop sep 6 at midnight will be gettin this bad boy!!!!!

Brandon Winfrey's Avatar

Brandon Winfrey said:

August 18th, 10:08 am

You’ll have a smashing good time. I promise!

Bad puns, FTW!

jkuc75sj said:

August 18th, 7:55 am

Sledgehammer? DAY 1 PURCHASE!

Jeigh said:

August 18th, 8:28 am

Tons of thanks for keeping the story on the down-low. I love hearing from you guys, but with devs, they have a habit of letting plot-points slip. And really, that’s what I’m interested in with R3. The mulitplayer? Not so much, if I understand correctly that the online co-op missions won’t be coming back. (Not to worry, though. I don’t buy used.)

JohnnyX said:

August 18th, 8:53 am

From what the Video implys, this is just the Human weapons in the game. Cannot wait for September. Pre ordered and ready to play.

Razeluxe said:

August 18th, 8:55 am

I see Arena setting with hordes of grims!!!! im thinking enemy waves of grims xD plz let it be true!!!

PirateHarlock said:

August 18th, 8:59 am

The discs are in production as we speak. Those in the beta have arlready reported massive bugs with the online. that means only one thing, the game will ship with these hugs bugs as is showing the beta isn’t any sort of beta test but a cheap marketing ploy. Very poor form indead. Not to mention the fact the online psn pass ripoff has not been addressed. Very minimum any resistance fan should do is wait before buying as a day 0 purchase would be very foolish indeed and dissapointing. considering the two above facts I won’t be buying the game at all, I will not pay for online on the so called “free psn” for a game who’s online is so badly broken its unuseable. BTW, don’t believe what the marketing monkeys tell you. the “pass” is NOT free with purchase, we all pay for it with absolutely no doubt. Do not reinforce their unethical behaviour.

th3Lunga said:

August 18th, 9:00 am

Has the Survivor edition disappeared (I know it was PAL only, but still…)?

LilWayneSuckz said:

August 18th, 9:15 am

This looks like the best looking Insomniac game ever, I hope Sony advertises the game on major networks come release time.

When will you be debuting the campaign co-op?

theXecutioner said:

August 18th, 9:17 am

@11

Done crying? Alright…

Insomniac said in a previous blog post that they’re going to have a patch for the game ready on launch day, meaning that the multiplayer will have most of its problems fixed by the time you get home with your copy of the game. You’re ranting for what amounts to absolutely no reason. Just thought you should know.

Ethereal said:

August 18th, 9:18 am

Awesome….

theXecutioner said:

August 18th, 9:23 am

@11

Here’s the quote from the PS Blog post about the game going gold:

“Even now, our work isn’t complete, as we are actively working on the Online Beta, and will be bringing a Day 1 Patch to the game to bring updates and tweaks to the final product.”

Sorry troll but you failed.

cool_trainer said:

August 18th, 9:30 am

I’m feeling lucky.

Blkant said:

August 18th, 9:37 am

This game isn’t Resistance game without the bulls eyes bullseye bomb. You guys just keep pulling this series further and further from its roots… Its terrible…

TJCALi said:

August 18th, 9:37 am

will be buying two R3 on day one game looks awesome

and 11 wow

Brandon Winfrey's Avatar

Brandon Winfrey said:

August 18th, 10:11 am

Two copies? That makes you twice as awesome! Thanks! You won’t be disappointed!

nYcFrEeWiLL82 said:

August 18th, 10:06 am

WHATS A TROLL? OH AND IM BUYING THIS GAME DAY 1..THE ONLINE IS ALOT MORE FUN..UNLIKE THE LAST TWO GAMES WERE I WOULD GET SLAUGHTERED..BY ALL THE 3O PLAYING IN THE OTHER TEAM >:/ I LIKE THE 8 VS 8 ALOT BETTER..I JUST HOPE THEY BRING BACK THE BOUNCE PADS..I LOVED GETTIN A KILL WHILE DUDES WAS TRYING TO JUMP FROM ONE BUILDING TO ANOTHER..LOL – ALSO..I KNOW THIS IS DEFINITELY NOT GOING TO BE INPUT IN THE GAME BUT REPLAYS…MAN IF EVERYONE CAN WATCH THE LAST KILL WEATHER IT BE A WINNING KILL OR NOT..ITS JUST AWESOME…I WOULD LIKE TO SEE IT IN OTHER FPS GAMES JUST NOT CALL OF DUTY…

Seeing_Red_Again said:

August 18th, 11:36 am

Very impressed with the gameplay in the Resistance 3 beta. I could never get into Resistance 1 or 2’s online, but I’m hooked to Resistance 3’s!

But I’m even more excited about the campaign in the game in all honesty, it looks really incredible. Is it going to be as long as Fall of Man’s? I really loved how long it took to beat that game

KidCommando said:

August 18th, 11:39 am

Everything looks good but that hammer animation looks totally whack.

Airwalkinman17 said:

August 18th, 12:18 pm

@Razeluxe

I totally Hope so!!! I think this game NEEDS to have a survival arena mode. That would be extra awesome. I already have this game paid off. Only a few more weeks :D
Surprise us with an arena mode Insomniac! Please?

dilbig5 said:

August 18th, 12:48 pm

Can’t wait. I’m getting the Sharpshooter Bundle. I just wish it was already out.

@12 Too bad for some people that they are gonna miss out on a game like this because of a stupid thing like the online pass. You get it when you buy new and since the game doesn’t come out til September, you have no choice but to buy it new. Nothing unethical about that. You must be missing out on a lot of great games. Battlefield 3, Resistance 3, Rage, Dead Space 2, NFS: Hot Pursuit, Batman Arkham City, Bulletstorm, Dirt 3, Driver San Francisco, FEAR 3, Homefront, Mortal Kombat, Socom 4, and many others. Looks like your stuck with RPG’s and Call of Duty. Good luck with that. I doubt anyone could consider you a true gamer.

WelmoscaBR said:

August 18th, 1:00 pm

Cool…I saw a trophy popping out…well I’ll get for sure….I just cant wait to play cuz I know its gonna be awesomeness.

Da_Almighty_Guy said:

August 18th, 1:49 pm

Anyone else catch that MLP reference?

Looks good. Can’t wait for this holiday.

LemonJuice said:

August 18th, 2:42 pm

The carbine almost didn’t make it into the game? I wouldn’t be very happy about that. That would be like removing the bullseye from the game aswell.

jnel17jun said:

August 18th, 3:25 pm

It simply looks amazing!!!

jnel17jun said:

August 18th, 3:27 pm

Also hoping for something like that on PS Vita!!!

ARCHYMIKE said:

August 18th, 3:53 pm

Just pre-ordered yesterday on Amazon, so that i could get the air-fuel grenade… wasnt to happy that my favorite grenade of all time out of any game ever was taken out, but hey at least i can get it by doing this… and i also got the beta, and i have to say that you all have done awesome with the multiplayer, just gotta take out a few bugs like players flying up or across buildings, and what not… great job guys! im really going to enjoy this… but for such a great game i would also like to be able to keep it in a fancy steelbox case! could you at least just release that here in the US?

Dragun619 said:

August 18th, 4:05 pm

@ Post 12, PirateHarlock

Stop spreading ignorance, You only pay for PSN Pass if you buy the Resistance 3 used.
Do you plan on buying the Resistance 3 used? If not, why are you complaining?
Numerous devs/ Publishers have been doing it for while now such as Mortal Kombat, Dead Space 2, soon Battlefield 3, Rage, etc.

Just buy a new copy and you get a PSN Pass for free which PSN Pass is merely a DLC code that enables the online multiplayer of the game just like Mortal Kombat’s Online Pass, etc. So unless your not buying Resistance 3 new, I don’t see the point of complaining. That and PSN Pass allows Devs/Publishers to receive at least a small portion of revenue in Used game sales which I remind you all go directly to Gamestop executives and not the developers who actually made the games.

Razeluxe said:

August 18th, 4:09 pm

@theXecutioner

Umm yeah i never mention multiplayer i commented on what i saw on the video which the scene looks like a arena horde…… i never mention anything about multiplayer.

mastorofpuppetz said:

August 18th, 6:11 pm

Hopefully Sony will advertise this exclusive or it will fail to sell near what it deserves. Sony’s marketing suck for its games…

mastorofpuppetz said:

August 18th, 6:12 pm

this will prob be the best SP shooter this year, yet won’t get noticed because Sony wont market it.

DevilSuicide said:

August 18th, 7:06 pm

Really liked the video, but i’m still sad you guys are going multiplatform.

Yes, i know, you will still support Sony (as long as Sony wants to lincence you :P), but not as much as before :(.

And even if Sony has a good amount of first party studios, more studios are always welcome, and Sony could really use a studio like you, guys :(.

Heavenly_king said:

August 18th, 9:18 pm

MAKE SOME TV ADDS FOR THIS!!! I want this game to sell big, as i suppose Sony wants too :D

M0nk3yJ3rky said:

August 19th, 7:13 am

So what your saying is, I could plow through the chimera in ten seconds flat? That’s pretty awesome. And that sledge hammer just made things 20% cooler!

Brandon Winfrey's Avatar

Brandon Winfrey said:

August 19th, 10:17 am

Nothing says Friendship and Magic like a Sledgehammer!

sindiewen said:

August 20th, 12:15 am

One of the dev’s of Resistance 3 is a Brony?

Look’s like we have spread more than we thought. Our quest for world domination is growing ever-so rapidly!
Must now convert more people!

Rival_31 said:

August 20th, 7:50 am

I’ll be getting two copies with one being the move bundle. Also getting the 3DTV. Can’t wait.