Uncharted 4

New PixelJunk SideScroller Trailer: Engage Your Eyeballs

Ariel Angelotti's Avatar + Posted by Ariel Angelotti on Aug 24, 2011 // Assistant Producer, Q-Games

Hi there, PixelJunkies! I have an important update for you. What’s orange, magenta, and glowing all over? Why, it’s PixelJunk SideScroller, of course! We’ve released a brand-spankin’ new trailer for you. We hope it whets your appetite until you can get your PixelJunk-hungry hands on it.

We don’t have an official release date for PixelJunk sidescroller yet, but rest assured we’re hard at work making it oodles of fun all the while incorporating retro goodness, love, and a little bit of cheese(?) into it. What treasures does this veritable pantheon of old-school gaming hold? We can’t go into the details yet, but expect to get riddled in alien bullets, science fiction in-jokes, and if you’re a tried and true PixelJunkie, you may even notice an Easter egg or two we’ve included just for you!

PixelJunk sidescroller for PS3 (PSN)

Need some deep space, missile-flinging fun to tide you over until PixelJunk SideScroller is released? Hop on the PlayStation Network and download the FREE PixelJunk Shooter 2 demo today! Check out our Online Battle Tutorial video to become an Online Battling stud in no time. Did I mention the demo is free? What are you waiting for?

PAGE 1 2

+ bestplayer562 on August 24th, 2011 at 3:18 pm said:

this is awesome news thanks for the post Ariel

+ ModernYorkster on August 24th, 2011 at 3:19 pm said:

@Everyone

If you haven’t had the chance to play any of the PixelJunk games yet, I suggest you purchase Shooter I and Shooter II. These show the depth and creative side of retro games we don’t see this day in age. I would also like to point out, this is a day one purchase for me.

P.s. Ariel, will there be a demo on release?

Ariel Angelotti's Avatar

+ Ariel Angelotti on August 24th, 2011 at 6:48 pm said:

There are currently no plans to release a demo on release day, but keep a keen eye on the news! You never know what surprises may be cropping up.

+ jeffsmither on August 24th, 2011 at 3:20 pm said:

Is this video from A tv? or does it really look like a tv tube?

Ariel Angelotti's Avatar

+ Ariel Angelotti on August 24th, 2011 at 6:49 pm said:

SideScroller has a very unique look to it. We’ve implemented a sort of CRT TV overlay effect to give it that special retro feel you see in the trailer.

+ Kchow23 on August 24th, 2011 at 3:23 pm said:

Mmmm delicious Cheese!

Ariel Angelotti's Avatar

+ Harvard Bonin on August 24th, 2011 at 3:23 pm said:

I am totally geaked out for this one! Great job PJ Guys!

+ SpyDudeFX on August 24th, 2011 at 3:24 pm said:

jeffsmither it mimics the look of one. And will this game have PS Home unlocks?

+ Jackal888 on August 24th, 2011 at 3:26 pm said:

Ah my 2nd favorite developers (Kojima Prod #1) making another game! I am excited for this and Pixeljunk Monsters Browser game. Is HFB on the soundtrack. It sure sounds like them. Have to get this!

Ariel Angelotti's Avatar

+ Ariel Angelotti on August 24th, 2011 at 6:51 pm said:

Yep, High Frequency Bandwidth has returned with another killer soundtrack. They’ve composed a combination of remixes of Shooter 1 and 2 songs (although make not mistake, they’re practically brand-new song!) and original music. I’m listening to the final boss music they just sent us as I type, and it’s absolutely amazing!

+ Kchow23 on August 24th, 2011 at 3:27 pm said:

Downloaded PixelJunk Shooter 2 during the sale and it’s awesome! Though I haven’t finished it yet, but I can’t wait for Sidescroller and possibly Lifelike :)

+ JrXC on August 24th, 2011 at 3:32 pm said:

I bought PixelJuunk Shooter 1 and 2 and now I am really interested in this. Anyway i can get it for free?

+ JMB626 on August 24th, 2011 at 4:03 pm said:

I want it.

+ AceBeeDee on August 24th, 2011 at 4:03 pm said:

oh yeah this looks fantastic! haven’t played PJ since Eden, and this side scroll style really hits home with me. BRING IT ON!!!!!

+ Berae on August 24th, 2011 at 4:10 pm said:

It looks good but too similar to PixelJunk shooter. Is PixelJunk Dungeon still in development? or maybe Monsters 2? :)

+ Link01 on August 24th, 2011 at 4:16 pm said:

It looks great and everything… but where’s your drastically different game you should be releasing.

+ Spookymilk on August 24th, 2011 at 4:20 pm said:

PixelJunk, you are just disgustingly good at making games.

+ zech678 on August 24th, 2011 at 4:35 pm said:

nice

+ Alexx-NY on August 24th, 2011 at 4:41 pm said:

Why oh why did you choose this UGLY visual style for this game???
I love Pixeljunk Shooter 1 & 2!
And I love sidecrolling shmups!

So, naturally, your announcement of Sidescroller got me VERY excited.
But these graphics are just… awful. Sorry, but that’s how I see it.
I want my games to look good, not 8 bit! That’s why I game on PS3 and not on NES.

Gameplay looks fantastic! Exactly what I would love to play.

So, PLEASE rethink the visual style of this game!!!
Making it look like Shooter would do the trick already.
At least don’t make it look like an 8 bit pixel MESS.
I will not buy it looking like this, it’s just too ugly for my taste.

Thanks for your consideration!

+ Afrowhitey on August 24th, 2011 at 4:50 pm said:

Awesome addition to the Pixel Junk family.
This looks absolutely amazing. Do I see some of the pixelJunk Shooter mechanics in
some of those levels? I believe I do. What a great idea to combine the mechanics of shooter with
a side-scrolling game.
I am awe-inspired by the innovative games you guys @ Q come up with.

Thanks for the information, Ariel.
Tell the guys and gals at Q to keep up the great work.
We appreciate everything you guys do for us.

+ the1free_man on August 24th, 2011 at 4:57 pm said:

Describing a demo as FREE in all caps is kinda sad… Other than that, this is awesome. I’ll get it sooner or later. I should finish the shooters first, tho…

+ Robbie_G_lrish on August 24th, 2011 at 4:57 pm said:

Yea, I’m pretty sure I’m going to buy this. I love retro gaming and this is a great mix of then and now. I’m digging the soundtrack on this too. I assume we’ll get a price when you have a release date. Bring it on.

+ darthmilo77 on August 24th, 2011 at 5:14 pm said:

Aha, now I understand the end of PJS2. I think it’s great that the Shooter/Sidescroller games seem to be evolutions of game mechanics, rather than just linear continuations. The new materials in PJS2 are a great example, keeping the basic gameplay of the first game, but increasing the possibilities several times over when combined with the existing materials. Plus they’re just a heck of a lot of fun to play.

Ariel Angelotti's Avatar

+ Ariel Angelotti on August 24th, 2011 at 7:01 pm said:

The ending of PixelJunk Shooter 2 and SideScroller are connected in more ways than one! I won’t spoil anything, but we’ve been having fun cooking up amusing ideas for the world concept. Just make sure to play SideScroller through to the end.

+ DeathGazer on August 24th, 2011 at 5:25 pm said:

Wow, that looks hard. Ever harder than PJS2 :o

Ariel Angelotti's Avatar

+ Ariel Angelotti on August 24th, 2011 at 7:01 pm said:

The good news is that SideScroller has multiple difficulty modes to select from including an Easy mode!

+ cobrafang on August 24th, 2011 at 5:26 pm said:

Looks good but the art style here shouts “simplistic.” Life Force on the NES has more different colors than this. I am not saying Sidescroller is simplistic shooter but it doesn’t look “next-gen” either but I do get it it is artful.

+ onslaughtree on August 24th, 2011 at 5:30 pm said:

Wait for it, wait for it,,,,,,,,,,,,,chi-ching !, Day 1 purchase.
I own all pixleJunk games , epcept for Monsters ( sorry im not a tower defence guy ), and this looks awesome as ever.
Cant wait.

+ VixDiesel on August 24th, 2011 at 5:32 pm said:

This is sick. One of the few game companies that I will buy a game day one with no questions asked.

+ OleGunnar on August 24th, 2011 at 5:52 pm said:

Looks like a bad hybrid of PixelJunk Shooter and Gravity Crash.

If the trailer is any kind of indication of what the final game will be like, all I can say is that you all are WAY better than this.

Take a break. Go on vacation. Get some new ideas.

Color me crazy, but I would love to see what PixelJunk would do with a mystery/who-done-it game.

Let the hate begin. Now.

+ hush404 on August 24th, 2011 at 8:23 pm said:

…. that looks an awful lot like PJ Shooter… just sped up and jacked up with neon… I miss when PJ felt different and new every time out. PJ Monsters was by far the best.

+ Wozman23 on August 24th, 2011 at 9:01 pm said:

Glad to see some bullet hell inspiration. Can’t wait.

+ Permafry_42 on August 24th, 2011 at 9:25 pm said:

Any loyalty rewards for having shooter 1 2 AND sidescroller, or is the avatars all we’re getting? also anything about psn+ discounts yet?

+ Permafry_42 on August 24th, 2011 at 9:26 pm said:

also will the video recording be making a return? i really want to make another playthrough of the whole game!

+ mandown40 on August 25th, 2011 at 2:57 am said:

Looks Good

+ tonydamiani on August 25th, 2011 at 6:12 am said:

SOLD!!! Can’t wait :P

+ ScubaOwl on August 25th, 2011 at 7:16 am said:

When you say ‘new’ trailer, I expect it to be less than a two weeks old.

+ jonathan_val on August 25th, 2011 at 7:34 am said:

PLEASE!!! Add ONLINE co-op… :(

+ TallCrowe on August 25th, 2011 at 8:05 am said:

It looks awesome.

+ kasumakuma on August 25th, 2011 at 8:14 am said:

While this is great and all, I want more Monsters. Any chance you guys are working on new levels or just a new PJM game in general down the road.

Ariel Angelotti's Avatar

+ Ariel Angelotti on August 25th, 2011 at 8:29 pm said:

We’re working on a version of PixelJunk Monsters for the web!

+ MPaullin on August 25th, 2011 at 8:18 am said:

I will blind buy anything with PixelJunk in the title. Any chance you guys will revisit PixelJunk Monsters at some point? I have put endless hours into the original and deluxe and am hungry for more.

+ Zeer0id on August 25th, 2011 at 8:32 am said:

Ooooooooh, so exciting!! CHEEEEEEEEEEESE.

Also will local and/or online co-op be present? I hope so!

+ Zeer0id on August 25th, 2011 at 9:05 am said:

*for BOTH online and local, that is!

Ariel Angelotti's Avatar

+ Ariel Angelotti on August 25th, 2011 at 10:03 pm said:

Yes, we will have couch co-op in SideScroller. We won’t have online co-op available though, so call a buddy over or snuggle up with your sweetheart for some fun!

+ percast2 on August 25th, 2011 at 9:42 am said:

It looks awesome! Just a suggestion maybe add more weapon variety and maybe more colors to not get tired of the same >_< .

Love Pixeljunk games <3

+ percast2 on August 25th, 2011 at 9:43 am said:

@36 Hell yeah, any news on the PixelJunk Monsters? I really want another game in that genre :3

+ FearMonkey on August 25th, 2011 at 10:46 am said:

oh yeah, this is my cup of tea right here. I love shmups. <3

+ RaymondBel on August 25th, 2011 at 10:51 am said:

Wow… what is it gonna be next… Pong?

+ WelmoscaBR on August 25th, 2011 at 12:19 pm said:

looks good…maybe I’ll check this out.

+ DoucheVader on August 25th, 2011 at 12:20 pm said:

Yeah that CRT overlay should be optional, I don’t want burn in on my TV. :P

+ Chuckbait on August 25th, 2011 at 1:41 pm said:

I have all the pixel junk games (except the eden add on). I have to say that this game seems to be your least original idea. Might as well call it PJ Shooter: Side Scroller. Yes?

By the way, I love the Shooter games, Monsters is excellent, and Eden is a masterpiece. PJ Eden would probably be one of my most recommended PSN only title.

I look forward to the release of PJE2

Good luck with sales and please consider the name change.

When I saw PJ sidescroller, I was expecting to see something without little ships.

+ darthmilo77 on August 25th, 2011 at 2:39 pm said:

@20

Thanks, I don’t think you’ll be able to keep me away!

+ plaztiksyke on August 25th, 2011 at 3:22 pm said:

Is that a Move-related cursor in the screenshots above? That would be a VERY interesting way to put a new spin on co-op! :)

Looking forward to hearing the great music (and explosions!) in maxed-out HD-quality.

+ Skater_Ricky on August 25th, 2011 at 9:41 pm said:

►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►☺
I have a Important Question is this for PlayStation 3 ONLY or both for PlayStation Vita and PlayStation 3? Can I say Cross Platform gameplay Online ;)

Hope this will play on both PS3 and PSV :D

If so then myself and my fiance will be happy because she likes PJS1 and PJS2 shes just about ready to finish PJS2 so by the time this comes out she will be ready :) and Ill have my PSV

Im thinking of a Spring Release date around when PlayStation Vita lunches ;)
►►►►► ►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►►

Ariel Angelotti's Avatar

+ Ariel Angelotti on August 25th, 2011 at 10:06 pm said:

We currently only have plans to release SideScroller on the PSN.

Thanks for the question!

+ lyfestory on August 26th, 2011 at 7:08 am said:

Love PJ Shooter games the most… glad the Pixeljunk team is working on another title… definitely looks the retro part…. reminds me of the old Life Force/Gradius-type games… fun, but hard.. keep up the great work…would be cool if we could get some kinda adventure game in the 2d- side scrolling style, like the NeoGeo game, Magician Lord or something… that’d be cool…

PAGE 1 2