Bloodborne

PAX 2011: Must-Play PSN Games

Morgan Haro's Avatar + Posted by Morgan Haro on Aug 25, 2011 // Community Manager, PlayStation Digital Platforms

With PAX Prime 2011 kicking off tomorrow in Seattle, attendees will get to try out a slew of new and unreleased games. If you’re heading to PAX, keep your eyes open for opportunities to play upcoming PlayStation Network titles, some of which won’t be released for months!

A selection of PlayStation Network PLAY titles will be playable at PAX including Street Fighter III: Third Strike Online Edition, located at Capcom’s spot at booth #3425. BloodRayne: Betrayal (releasing on PSN September 6th) shows off its gorgeously bloody 2D styling courtesy of Way Forward at booth #3652. The same action-packed engine and dev team that made Just Cause famous is also in fine form with Renegade Ops – it’s playable at the Sega booth (#3625) before its PSN release on September 13th.

Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike Online Edition for PS3 (PSN)Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike Online Edition for PS3 (PSN)Renegade Ops for PS3 (PSN)

To round out your PSN experience at PAX, the long-awaited Retro/Grade from 24 Caret Games will be playable at booth #6415. In a beautiful contrast to Retro/Grades’ colorful visuals, Closure will makes its PS3 debut at PAX. Experience the unique light-and-shadow-based gameplay at booth #599 and prepare for its PSN release next spring.

Retro/Grade for PS3 (PSN)Closure for PS3 (PSN)

Naturally, there’s a LOT more to see than just these games! If you can’t make the trip to PAX, visit the PlayStation Store to find new PAX game trailers and content updates for UNCHARTED 3, Twisted Metal, Starhawk, Ratchet and Clank: All 4 One, and BioShock: Infinite. Enjoy the show!

If you’re going to PAX this weekend, which games are you most excited to play?

+ Taco_Grande on August 25th, 2011 at 12:39 pm said:

This needs more cow bell.

+ Trieloth on August 25th, 2011 at 12:43 pm said:

Iam sooooo excited for Blood:Rayne!! 2D FTW!! oh wait can you tell these cool developer guys we need more 2D games, please and thanks!

Morgan Haro's Avatar

+ Morgan Haro on August 25th, 2011 at 1:22 pm said:

The game is in great hands with developer Way Forward. Looking forward to it myself!

+ DeathGazer on August 25th, 2011 at 12:47 pm said:

Retro/Grade needs a release date already. Known about that game for a couple years now.

Got Renegade Ops pre-ordered. Thinking about getting Bloodrayne as well, but I think I need a demo first.

+ ABRipperXX on August 25th, 2011 at 12:50 pm said:

Im super excited to play Closure…looks just to amazing to describe with words. I’m also looking forward to playing Trine 2, Rock of Ages, Retro/Grade, Vessel…ect. to many to name lol. I can’t wait to go to PAX! See you guys there!

Morgan Haro's Avatar

+ Morgan Haro on August 25th, 2011 at 1:40 pm said:

Awesome! Closure looks to be a great game and has pulled in a ton of recognition in the indie scene already. Look for more info on it in the coming months. Enjoy the show!

+ JLP_M on August 25th, 2011 at 1:08 pm said:

….. really zaca21

+ BLU-RAY__ on August 25th, 2011 at 1:11 pm said:

gotta love the spamers -.-

+ remanutd5 on August 25th, 2011 at 1:15 pm said:

no playstation vita games ?

+ Shadow-Man_4 on August 25th, 2011 at 1:27 pm said:

Is there anything that’s going to be revealed for Uncharted 3? Like a new trailer or Multiplayer details?

Morgan Haro's Avatar

+ Morgan Haro on August 25th, 2011 at 1:39 pm said:

I don’t have any info on upcoming UC3 announcements, but keep your eyes on the blog as I’m sure there’s going to be lots to see leading up to release in November.

+ djnealb on August 25th, 2011 at 1:31 pm said:

I’m sure that some day I’ll be able to afford and actually have the time to go to PAX. Sadly, today is not that day. Neither is next year since I’ll be getting married around the same time.

Morgan Haro's Avatar

+ Morgan Haro on August 25th, 2011 at 1:38 pm said:

Safe to say getting married is the bigger occasion. OR IS IT? ; ) congrats! Hope you can make it next year, the show is always a great time. Maybe you and the new wife can make it a weekend Seattle trip next year!

+ lisatsunami on August 25th, 2011 at 2:00 pm said:

I’ll go next year. I want to attend a less frenetic version of Comic Con & I’m thinking PAX might fit the bill.

Morgan Haro's Avatar

+ Morgan Haro on August 25th, 2011 at 2:15 pm said:

That’s definitely the case. SD Comic Con is amazing, but be prepared to brave it. PAX is more community and games focused and really speaks to gaming culture. One of my favorite shows. Plus, Seattle is an awesome city.

+ ajwilson55 on August 25th, 2011 at 2:22 pm said:

Going for the first time! Can’t wait to check out the scene and see what the new games look like. BEYOND!

+ marlyt on August 25th, 2011 at 2:26 pm said:

@ djnealb

Take her for your honeymoon. She’ll thank you forever…LOL. But you could just for something different, take your honeymoon trip to Seattle to “escape the heat” and just happen upon PAX while “seeing the sights.” If you plan carefully you could make this happen. Congrats and welcome to The Club!!

+ Burningskull on August 25th, 2011 at 2:30 pm said:

Where is Castlevania Harmony of Despair in that list? And when in September is it coming out?

+ hush404 on August 25th, 2011 at 2:45 pm said:

I downloaded SF3 but haven’t had a chance to play yet :S The other 4 I pre-ordered through the pre-order thing you guys have doing on :) The last two don’t seem to interest me though.

+ Frejim on August 25th, 2011 at 3:05 pm said:

Closure hyperlink (in sentence “In a beautiful contrast to Retro/Grades’ colorful visuals, Closure will makes its PS3 debut at PAX. “) – is not working

+ plaztiksyke on August 25th, 2011 at 3:10 pm said:

I’m most excited for Retro/Grade, Closure, and Bloodrayne.

re: Bloodrayne, I love almost everything WayForward has every done. I’m still holding out hope that we’ll get an HD version of A Boy and His Blob on PSN. I would gladly play it again if it looked as good as Critter Crunch.

+ spideyal on August 25th, 2011 at 3:14 pm said:

Already bought SF3: Third Strike, and pre-ordered Bloodrayne. :) Haven’t got any time to play anything as of late though. So that sucks. But hey, looking forward to Closure now! That game looks awesome.

+ Rorek_IronBlood on August 25th, 2011 at 3:22 pm said:

Sorry, Morgan, but this just is not cutting it. Still don’t see a reason either to buy into PlayStation Plus. C’mon, Morgan. Sell it to me. So, in the words of the prophetical, Marcus;

“Step you’re game up!”
- Marcus “PSP”

On a side note I love “retro” gaming (I love my classics), but the only “half” decent game out what I just saw was – Bloodrayne – and sadly while I loved the first game (and it’s own twist on World War II (yet again) I just have this bad taste in my mouth from the last set of games, and movies (horribly done movies that made even youtube laugh & cry.) Also. For the record.. Can someone tell Capcom to tone it down being the ‘//hore of Japan is not a great image to have and the world already has Activision. It’s time to stop producing – Street Fighter – titles like it’s McDonalds fast food going in and out! It’s annoying and stupid.

Morgan Haro's Avatar

+ Morgan Haro on August 25th, 2011 at 4:16 pm said:

this post is about PSN games at PAX, not PS Plus. Also, please don’t try to get around the word filter; not a good look! =)

+ Shishimo9000 on August 25th, 2011 at 3:50 pm said:

Why make it bloodrayne… such a weird decision it could easily be it’s own standalone game and not have to cash in on some old franchise’s name… It’s not like its even similar to the old bloodrayne games. Well I guess as long as it doesn’t make any reference to those terrible bloodrayne movies (voted by some to be the worst movies ever) we’ll be ok…

Morgan Haro's Avatar

+ Morgan Haro on August 25th, 2011 at 4:18 pm said:

the movies are definitely separate, creatively speaking, from the new BloodRayne: Betrayal. So while the movies may have their own story to tell (in ways that some might not agree with ;) ) the game at hand looks to be standing on it’s own feet. Watch for more news on it as it leads to release!

+ scorpionov4 on August 25th, 2011 at 3:51 pm said:

can someone tell me what is wrong? i try getting on psn store and my ps3 freezes. i dont know what is wrong. i tried to get on the store on my other accounts and it works just fine. it happens just on this account. plz help.

+ kabirdsall14 on August 25th, 2011 at 4:15 pm said:

Morgan,

I have a question about this PSN PLAY thing. How long do the Plus discounts last on these games? Only pre-order and Week 1? or what?

Also, I heard something that if you don’t preorder by the thursday before the release you don’t get the pre-order bonuses. Is that true?

Morgan Haro's Avatar

+ Morgan Haro on August 25th, 2011 at 4:19 pm said:

the Plus discounts for PLAY are going on until 9/19/2011. To get the theme for the game, you’ll have to do the pre-order. But to get the free piece of DLC for the game (for example, the extra character in SF3, you just need to buy it anytime before 9/19/2011. hope that helps!

+ kabirdsall14 on August 25th, 2011 at 4:15 pm said:

^^^
Thanks,
Kabirdsall14

+ kabirdsall14 on August 25th, 2011 at 4:34 pm said:

@ Morgan,
Thanks for you quick response! It is greatly appreciated! :)

+ Dcrazy204 on August 25th, 2011 at 4:55 pm said:

i was thinking of buying this game part of the psn play deal but i dont think is worth it because on the october 2011 of the playstation magazine the game got a score of 6 out of 10.Now i feel like i could have got rip if i would have end up buying that game for $15 or $12(psn plus).From the 4 game of that ‘play’ list only one of them is good so far which is street fighter 3.On ign.com it got a score of 9.The other 2 games i only find one interesting which is renegade ops.I think the baconing might even end up being bad.Does anyone think this deal is worth it just to get payday the heist for free.

+ SogeKing on August 25th, 2011 at 5:49 pm said:

I miss Kevin Butler. Where did he go?

+ ModernYorkster on August 25th, 2011 at 7:29 pm said:

Morgan,

I would really like to see more PSN Exclusives. In this economy money is sometimes hard to come by, but I know when I purchase a game with the branding “Only On PlayStation” or ” Only On PlayStation Network” I’m getting my moneys worth. I’ll be honest it’s very rare do I purchase something without those slogans on the box or picture. So what I would like to see more of are the PSN Exclusives, with some actual advertisement. 90% of the time the PlayStation community doesn’t even know what so and so game is. With a bit of hype and marketing push some of these games can become a true success.

Let’s take Retro Grade for example there has been little details about this game released to the public. This shouldn’t be the case with games that can “Only be found on PlayStation”.

p.s. Keep up the good work, I’m a true loyal Sony/PlayStation customer.

Morgan Haro's Avatar

+ Morgan Haro on August 25th, 2011 at 11:04 pm said:

hey modern,

Love the feedback and I’m right there with you. hang tight, awesome things coming!

+ Kchow23 on August 25th, 2011 at 7:49 pm said:

Where’s the love for Skullgirls? looks like the next step for fighting games and its a PSN game! Anyway, Bloodrayne looks great, looking forward to it!

+ Genomicinsight on August 25th, 2011 at 7:51 pm said:

I have to add Retro-grade to my wishlist now , Looks like a great Shoot-em-up or something.

+ bestplayer562 on August 25th, 2011 at 8:52 pm said:

are these games worth buying ?

+ bushisprez on August 26th, 2011 at 1:21 am said:

Here’s a tip Morgan Haro. Tell playstation/sony show support for Pax East this Spring. Socom 4 was deinitely not the game to show off at the convention floor when Infamous 2, uncharted 3, etc were coming out later this year and already had playable builds if the press accessed them. Catch my drift?

+ drfossilphd on August 26th, 2011 at 7:04 am said:

hey morgan… will any of these games be able to buy on the playstation store, full game wise??? before 2012????

Morgan Haro's Avatar

+ Morgan Haro on August 26th, 2011 at 9:40 am said:

The PSN PLAY titles mentioned are all releasing within the next month. Check the above post for their release dates. Closure should be coming by Spring 2011, and I couldn’t say on Retro/Grade

+ lyfestory on August 26th, 2011 at 7:18 am said:

the Bloodrayne video makes me think of some of the old Castlevania games… not a bad thing to be compared to really… games like Symphony of the Night were the best of the past generations…. would love to see a re-imagined version of that game for sure….

+ ViolentGene on August 26th, 2011 at 10:07 am said:

Renegade Ops, give it to me I WANT IT

+ WelmoscaBR on August 26th, 2011 at 10:44 am said:

oh man This BloodRayne is awesome…I did not know it was so good.

+ that-acmilan-guy on August 26th, 2011 at 2:18 pm said: