PS4 - Destiny

ModNation Racers: The Future Is Bright

Mark Wilson's Avatar + Posted by Mark Wilson on Aug 29, 2011 // Community Specialist, San Diego Studios

Go ahead slap on those shades because the upcoming months the Blu-Ray supernova known as ModNation Racers becomes brighter and brighter.

I watch day after day, week after week as the ModNation community create amazing Mods, Karts and Tracks that makes the development team wonder, “how did they do that?” This is one case where the students have truly become the teachers. One of my roles as community specialist is to not only share with you the evolution of ModNation Racers but the evolution of the Play Create Share vision. Each day I experience something (or somewhere) new that I never could have imagined and, if that’s not enough, in just a few months we will be able to hold all of those gems in the palm of our hands with the introduction of the PS Vita.

Aren’t we fortunate to have a game that gives us dozens of new and fabulous “toys” every time we play?

Top Tracks: ModNationSD’s Favorites – Part IIThis week features part II of ModNationSD’s favorite tracks. This is an almost impossible task to narrow down all the great tracks but I am giving it my best! Next week I’ll reveal the complete list of 25 All-Time Favorites!

ModNation Player Profile: PSN: Lloyd24K
He will always offer you a fair race and point-blank critique of your track. I asked one time and after I was done crying I re-tooled my track. I found he was right. Read about Lloyd24K HERE.

ModNation Thursday Fun Races
Join ModNationSD for an evening of fun racing Thursdays from 5:00-6:00 Pacific Time. This is a great opportunity to meet some great people in a casual racing environment. Check our ModNation Facebook page on the day of the races on how to join.

Track of The Week:
Atlantis Rising by PH1LThy31 and atheistsw

totw

Hot Lap Tracks:
Monday: Atlantis Rising by PH1LThy31 and atheistsw – I don’t use the word “epic” very often. This is epic!

Tuesday: ***Happy Park*** by MagicalHamster – This will bring a smile to your face. Fun race. Great ideas. You have to check out all of MagicalHamster’s tracks. VERY unique!

Wednesday: Redstone Ridge by athiestsw – my favorite Western themed track so far. LOVED the ghost town shortcut. Take note how athiestsw uses lighting as a tool in his designs. Brilliant.

Thursday: Land of Misthalianus V2.0 by dane9261 – Stoked watching dane9261’s tracks getting better month after month!

Friday: Eerie Estate by Laidbackcat – Get your cornering skills tuned up. You’ll need them!

Saturday: Tell No Tales by PatrickJames777 – One of the best examples of the Pirate DLC I’ve seen. So many varied routes that’ll keep you coming back for more!

Sunday: Mary Jane’s Mega Mall by athiestsw – This week should’ve been titled athiestsw-palooza. Three great tracks that cannot be denied from Hot Lap. Great work!

Creations of The Week:

cotw

+ dragon_night on August 29th, 2011 at 7:08 am said:

Hey

+ RedDragon_X on August 29th, 2011 at 7:14 am said:

Wow…no comments?

+ RedDragon_X on August 29th, 2011 at 7:15 am said:

Bring ModNation Racers 2 XD

+ FunkyTable on August 29th, 2011 at 7:15 am said:

I still hope you guys add remappable buttons.

+ GGod0 on August 29th, 2011 at 7:22 am said:

More DLC plz?

+ Teflon02 on August 29th, 2011 at 7:23 am said:

kool

+ remanutd5 on August 29th, 2011 at 7:59 am said:

in just a few a few months we will be able to hold all those gems in the palm of our hands with the introduction of the ps vita – please tell us how many months !!!!! 4 , 5 , 6 ? the wait is killing me !!!!

+ YungShep on August 29th, 2011 at 9:21 am said:

lol “Seeing Stars” amazing, lol i wish this could get the 3D treatment :) it would be incredible

Mark Wilson's Avatar

+ Mark Wilson on August 29th, 2011 at 9:26 am said:

I still laugh when I look at it!

+ JNM-CIM on August 29th, 2011 at 9:40 am said:

OMG! I can’t believe I got on the creations of the week! We’re out of power thanka to Hurricane Irene, so I was just checking the blog through my smartphone for fun. I wasn’t expecting this!

Mark Wilson's Avatar

+ Mark Wilson on August 29th, 2011 at 9:48 am said:

Keep em’ coming!

+ ez_____ez_____ez on August 29th, 2011 at 10:13 am said:

Hey Mark, I played the demo of this game for the first time yesterday and had a blast! I normally play FPS shooters but this game is so unique that I had to buy it for my PS3 and the PS3′s in my kids’ rooms. My girls love it as much as me. Thanks for a great product.

Mark Wilson's Avatar

+ Mark Wilson on August 29th, 2011 at 10:51 am said:

Yeah! Thanks for the kind words. We love it too!
    You will enjoy it even more when you play the tracks that these great users have created. Check this blog every Monday for the best of the week!

Welcome to ModNation

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Mark

+ hypersk_us on August 29th, 2011 at 11:00 am said:

Hey Mark, just one question.

Are you guys going to make another DLC drop?

I was unfortunate, so I didn’t get anything again this Sunday, I’m hoping I get better luck next time.

Oh yeah I have another question…

Are you guys going to upload the Sackboy Mod and Kart to the PSN store??? I’m pretty sure that lots of the people who didn’t get it will pay money for it!!!

Thanks for a wonderful ModNation week!

Mark Wilson's Avatar

+ Mark Wilson on August 29th, 2011 at 11:11 am said:

Yes, there will be more DLC drops in September. I don’t know of any plans for Sackboy at this time.

+ Perish_Song on August 29th, 2011 at 11:46 am said:

No announcements about the team track challenge?

Mark Wilson's Avatar

+ Mark Wilson on August 29th, 2011 at 12:51 pm said:

Check the forums for today’s update.

+ hostagedturtle on August 29th, 2011 at 1:58 pm said:

Are you planning on releasing more playstation character based mods and kart to the store?

Also, thanks for making a great game :)

+ hypersk_us on August 29th, 2011 at 2:25 pm said:

Thanks for your answers Mark.

Too bad about Sackboy, when I got my game I was really looking forward to get it’s Mod and Kart…

Why can the other be bought on the PSN store and Sackboy not? (by the other characters I mean the other PlayStation creations like Kratos and Nathan Drake).

+ JNM-CIM on August 29th, 2011 at 2:55 pm said:

@14@14 Sackboy was an exclusive for certain stores, like Gamestop, where if you bought it new you would get the voucher code with the game.

+ Iop330 on August 29th, 2011 at 3:51 pm said:

HI MARK!

A few quick questions,

1. Is there any upcoming DLC, maybe a new theme for vita?

2. Is there anyway I can get Stowaway apart form being lucky or winning the team trk challenge. Water park challenge?

3. When are the results for the Water Park Challenge gonna be announced, or were not enough tracks created?

4. Can you change the speed settings on the top tracks lobby to elite as rookie is very slow and some natural jumps may come short.

5. Have you played my track Overgrowth Shrine? What did you think?

Finnally i would like to say congrats to Athiestsw and PH1LThy31 on TOTW, that track inspired me for my next creation! All the tracks on Hot lap are great and i can’t wait to play them!

Thanks! =D

Mark Wilson's Avatar

+ Mark Wilson on August 29th, 2011 at 4:12 pm said:

1. Slow down cowboy! We just unloaded a semi-truck full of DLC. If something comes up we’ll let you know. Trust me! :)

2. Hmmmmmmm.not really (though my car needs a good wash JK LOL!). . Also the challenges are just for fun. Not a contest so there are not prizes

3. Next Monday!

4. That’s been a requested item over the past year. It looks like it will stay as is :(

5. Not yet. Looking forward to it though

TOTW – yes EPIC. VERY EPIC!

Let’s see you inspiration!

Mark

+ hypersk_us on August 29th, 2011 at 4:17 pm said:

@15, I know that, but that’s why I’m asking, because other exclusive mods and kards like Kratos and Nathan Drake could be obtained that way too (depending on the place where you purchased ModNation Racers)… but after awhile they were uploaded to the PSN store so people could purchase them directly.

Sackboy was the only exclusive mod that was not uploaded to PSN so people could purchase it from the store, my question is simply “why?”

Thanks for your patience. Hehe…

+ LinKueiNinja on August 29th, 2011 at 8:51 pm said:

Thank you for picking Princess Special this week! I know you fell in love with her the first time you looked into her lazy eye. She captivates many! ;)

Seriously though…..Thank you!

I made a bunch more mods, a few karts and a new track that I may post on the forums?

This game RULZ!

+ ModernYorkster on August 30th, 2011 at 5:09 am said:

Waiting for ModNation 2!

+ atheistsw on August 30th, 2011 at 8:53 am said:

Thanks for the kudos Mark, glad you keep enjoying the tracks I make! :)

Mark Wilson's Avatar

+ Mark Wilson on August 30th, 2011 at 9:31 am said:

I honestly don’t know how you do it but I love the results!

+ Elvick_ on August 30th, 2011 at 3:28 pm said:

Is the PSVita version going to include a new Campaign? Because I don’t want 3 of the same story modes. :/

+ shredder110 on August 30th, 2011 at 5:26 pm said:

can we PLEASE get a hearse for a kart? I have SO MANY ideas for that kart. PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mark Wilson's Avatar

+ Mark Wilson on September 14th, 2011 at 9:58 am said:

shredder110,

Never say never but in this case it may actually be true. :(

Sorry to crush the dream. What were the ideas?

+ WelmoscaBR on August 30th, 2011 at 5:53 pm said:

AWESOME like always

+ moriarty1975 on August 31st, 2011 at 5:24 am said:

One month since the U.S got the Oil Stain DLC, and its still not released in Europe!

Mark Wilson's Avatar

+ Mark Wilson on September 14th, 2011 at 9:58 am said:

ugh

+ Behonkiss on August 31st, 2011 at 12:15 pm said:

A question: Is there any plan to include a web-queuing system for the game in a future patch, much like LittleBigPlanet 2′s lbp.me?

+ BabyNeedShoes on September 2nd, 2011 at 1:01 pm said:

Wow, very cool to see my creations displayed here! Thanks very much!

I have many more ideas for creations, but so few spots left for publishing :(
I’d rather not have to create another account, just for more publishing slots…..

Any chance of increasing the number of publishing slots available anytime soon?

Mark Wilson's Avatar

+ Mark Wilson on September 14th, 2011 at 10:02 am said:

Yep, publishing slots is a popular request.

Sorry to say at this point most in-game feature changes like this are not too likely.

Great creations!