PS4 - The Last of Us Remastered

Today on PSN: The Baconing is DeathSpank’s Meatiest Adventure

Darren Evenson's Avatar + Posted by Darren Evenson on Aug 30, 2011 // DeathSpank Designer

I’m wicked excited to share some details about our new game, The Baconing, DeathSpank’s greatest and most delicious adventure EVER! The game will be available to download today from PlayStation Network. The Baconing is part of the PSN PLAY promotion so if you purchase the game before September 19th you will also receive co-op character DLC, Roesha – One Bad Mutha. Also, if you are PlayStation Plus subscriber, you can still get 20% off the full game price!

When we started developing The Baconing we didn’t want gamers to feel like they HAD to play through the previous DeathSpank games before taking on The Baconing. We decided to make this game accessible for anyone to jump straight into, ensuring that new players and returning fans alike can both equally enjoy this game. Those familiar with DeathSpank will certainly experience just as much familiar fun plus a bucket-load of improvements too.

This is, by far, the funniest DeathSpank to date. We had an absolute blast making it, and it was an unwritten rule that we needed to laugh every day while working on the game. We added our comedic touch which was brought to life brilliantly by some incredible voice acting.

The world and characters we have created for this game are, let’s say….colorful to say the least! Mix this with some of our favorite, familiar sci-fi themes and references — from Tron to Mad Max to The Jetsons — and you’ve got a porky recipe for hilarity.

The Baconing for PS3 (PSN)

It just wouldn’t be a DeathSpank game without a new co-op sidekick for a friend, co-worker, lover, spouse, stranger-on-your-couch, or all of the above to help vanquish the hordes of evil. And have we got a guy for you: Meet Bob from Marketing! He’s a hammerhead shark in a business suit with an ferocious appetite for justice and leveraging a target market!

Bob wields a swordfish to poke holes in bad guys, shoots lasers from his eyes, devours enemies for health (he doesn’t care if they’re dead or alive), and can stealthily swim underground to take enemies by surprise. All in all, an incredibly deadly sidekick.

And one of the best things about Bob is that he was a suggestion from one of our fans. What better way to show we listen, than to create something in the game they suggested. We love our fans!
The Baconing is a game Hothead is incredibly proud of, because we created the entire adventure ourselves. Every mechanic was reviewed, and nothing was off limits when we looked at revamping many of the game systems. If it didn’t fit properly, we cut it. If it worked already, we improved it. If it was frustrating, we streamlined it. If it was edible, we ate it. You get the picture. And we’re certain everyone will be pleased with the results.

So before you rush of and download it, enjoy our sizzling launch trailer for The Baconing above.

30 Comments

+ BreavmanKnows on August 30th, 2011 at 8:24 am said:

Bacon

+ guitarded77 on August 30th, 2011 at 8:25 am said:

Gots me some Baconing pre-ordered… can’t wait!!!

+ Pukadon on August 30th, 2011 at 8:27 am said:

ha! looks great. anxious to try it out this evening.

+ devilmosh on August 30th, 2011 at 8:36 am said:

Yes! I’m excited that I’ll be getting this today, yet sad because I still need to finish part one, then move on to two, THEN this. But though I’m behind on it, I’m excited again because I have so much fun ahead of me! So this will be a bipolar purchase for me. So long as there’s bacon involved, all will be right in the world.

+ ElChingon2588 on August 30th, 2011 at 8:41 am said:

Woo Cant wait

+ devilmosh on August 30th, 2011 at 8:42 am said:

Bob rawks!

+ Airwalkinman17 on August 30th, 2011 at 8:47 am said:

My question is this.
If I buy this and all the other games that are part of the PLAY promotion will I still be able to get PAYDAY: The Heist for free? I ended up buying SFIII: Third Strike after the preorder deal and that game was so awesome. This looks good, and so does Bloodrayne and that Car combat game (spec ops was it?). Anway just wanted to know so that I couldn’t secure the Heist for free now or just pick and choose later. Any help is greatly welcomed.

+ joseph2411 on August 30th, 2011 at 8:49 am said:

Ready to unleash some justice!

+ ModernYorkster on August 30th, 2011 at 8:59 am said:

I pre-ordered this. I hope this game performs alot better than the past two death spanks. The other two where plagued with frame rate problems.

+ Zarxce on August 30th, 2011 at 9:01 am said:

Just had some delicious bacon (with eggs and hashbrowns) for breakfast. Got The Baconing preordered along with all the other PLAY games. Needless to say, I’m ready.

+ Blade133 on August 30th, 2011 at 9:02 am said:

Grrr . . . This looks great, but I HAVE to save my money for the retail titles coming out. How many hours of gameplay do think is packed into this one?

+ michael3182 on August 30th, 2011 at 9:13 am said:

READY for the Bacon……

+ Cyb3rfr34k-iso on August 30th, 2011 at 9:31 am said:

always the same background music since the first deathspank…

+ ToFeY on August 30th, 2011 at 9:37 am said:

i wanna download it already :’(

+ jazzyrider on August 30th, 2011 at 9:42 am said:

lol bob from marketing…classic!

+ Tchanku on August 30th, 2011 at 9:44 am said:

“Do I need an Adult?” …hehe

+ Arcadian_Rebel on August 30th, 2011 at 9:50 am said:

I’m probably going to get this. ;)

+ OnTheBus666 on August 30th, 2011 at 9:57 am said:

its not up yet. i want it so bad!!! played through the last one with my gf we have ben waiting for this one.

+ annihilation748 on August 30th, 2011 at 10:36 am said:

oh yeah

+ xNemesiSx on August 30th, 2011 at 10:50 am said:

I pre ordered the baconing, how will i get it? in download list or i pick it up in the store like any other game. Ill check later i suppose

+ xbtran on August 30th, 2011 at 11:00 am said:

Can’t wait! I played the first two + DLC back to back about a month ago and for some reason was STILL craving more. Luckily for me, the Baconing was announced shortly after I finished the two games. It was just a matter of time, and here it is!

+ HeLLeVeN11 on August 30th, 2011 at 11:01 am said:

@19 xNemesiSx

It will be available in the PSN store later today when it gets updated, you’ll see it as free since you pre-ordered it.

+ Destiny89 on August 30th, 2011 at 11:03 am said:

cant wait

+ Ninja-KiLLR on August 30th, 2011 at 11:21 am said:

lmao, bob from marketing.

+ HeLLeVeN11 on August 30th, 2011 at 12:09 pm said:

It’s up, just use the PSN store search function.

+ gearhead32 on August 30th, 2011 at 12:19 pm said:

Oh Yeah I pre ordered this 2 weeks ago some more deathspank crazy fun :P

+ PhantomKingX on August 30th, 2011 at 1:32 pm said:

The first two where amazing and hilarious. The BACONING is sure not gonna dissapoint us loyal fellow HEROES OF JUSTICE!!

+ SarshelYam on August 30th, 2011 at 3:27 pm said:

I was looking for this preorder for the past 3 days and it just wasn’t there…while every other title on the preorder list was still available. I’m quite sad I didn’t get my preorder goodies…but apparently I needed to PRE-preorder?

+ Autoxfool on August 30th, 2011 at 7:05 pm said:

Was looking to preorder this this past weekend but could not find in store. Deathspank was fun and worth every $7.50 I paid for it. Should be having a sale on the older version (*cough* so I get TOV) as new stuff comes out.

On the fence about $11.99 though…..if I knew it would last a few more hours than Deathspank, then I might bite.

+ Brandon_2535 on August 30th, 2011 at 11:48 pm said:

Game is fun! Not a ton of new features, but still a great game. I do have a couple complaints, though.

It seems like I sometimes have trouble shooting or hitting barrels. The auto-lock-on doesn’t seem to always work properly. Not as smooth as the past two games.

The low frame-rate is noticeable at times, seemingly more than the past two games. Doesn’t seem to take away from the experience, though. Same with the screen tearing, more noticeable than the past two games, but not a constant issue.

Also, what’s up with the trophy icons? The three that I’ve unlocked so far have the same icons as the trophies from the previous game. What’s that all about? I mean there’s only 12 trophies in the game, you would think it would be simple enough to give them a unique icon like you did with the past two games. That’s a bit of a bummer.

One more thing. If you decide to make another DeathSpank game, please DO NOT include a trophy for beating the game on the hardest difficulty. It’s fine if you decide to add a harder difficulty for the community, but don’t force everyone to play it if they want to collect all of the trophies. You didn’t have a trophy like that for the previous two games, so why start it now?