Far Cry 4

Co-op the Battlefield 3 Way

Tommy Rydling's Avatar + Posted by Tommy Rydling on Aug 31, 2011 // Senior Community Manager, DICE

Battlefield 3 for PS3: Co-op

“Snake-66 is mission go!”

Hi all! Having just come back from a great gamescom show in Germany, here’s your chance to learn all about the co-op campaign in Battlefield 3 that we showed off on PS3. We designed co-op to be the perfect blend between the strong narrative from single player and the open-ended action from multiplayer. We are fusing the replayability of multiplayer with a pick up-and-play mentality to create a totally new flavor of Battlefield.

Co-op follows the same philosophy as our award-winning multiplayer game mechanics. Teamwork is practically never forced upon you, but working together will make things much easier and — more importantly — lead to victory.

For the most part, the missions in the co-op campaign are asymmetric. This means that one mission can have you piloting a helicopter while your friend is the gunner, for example. Other situations have one player disarming a bomb and the other one defending him. Or (as you could see in our press conference playthrough at gamescom) you can do tandem kills to avoid detection. There are also other mechanics requiring teamwork, such as spotting enemies to make large firefights easier, or the essential concept of reviving one another to avoid ending up at the game over screen.

Battlefield 3 for PS3: Co-op

Man down! Give your co-op buddy a helping hand to stay in the game.

The co-op missions in Battlefield 3 all take place in the same world as the single-player campaign, and follow a unique series of events that lead up to an explosive finish. Players in co-op will take the role of soldiers that are not tied to any one particular branch of the Armed Forces. This is an intentional design decision to allow for a vast variety in gameplay in the different co-op missions.

Extracting Hamid El Zakir

At gamescom 2011, we ran Battlefield 3 in co-op for the first time, with the mission Exfiltration on 10 PlayStation 3 stations. During the five days of the show, thousands of fans and journalists got hands-on time with Exfiltration. The mission revolves around a defecting informant, El Zakir, that you and your co-op friend need to escort to safety. The mission starts outside the building where El Zakir resides. You need to move in, remove any opposition, and extract the target. If you can make it that far without raising a single alarm, there’s a little bonus in it for you.

Part two of Exfiltration has you clearing a path for your convoy so you can reach the outskirts of the city, before entering two vehicles and manning the top-mounted machine guns to provide some assistance. There’s much more to the mission, but that gives you an idea of what to expect.

Lend a Helping Hand

To survive through the co-op missions, you’ll need to stay close to your buddy. If he goes down, lend a helping hand with the new co-op “Man down!” mechanic, that lets you revive him in the heat of battle. While being down, you can still use your secondary weapon to defend yourself, while slowly crawling to a safer spot where your friend can help you without getting shot. If both of you go down, it’s game over.

You fight together. You die together. And you score together. After having cleared a co-op mission with your friend, your total combined score will be displayed via Battlelog, our suite of free social features that connect all Battlefield 3 players. Missions are designed to be shorter than single-player missions, so you can easily do multiple rounds in an evening to try and beat your friends’ high score. The best score of your friend will be displayed for each mission, so you know what to aim for.

Expect to encounter high difficulty: We are definitely going for a tough challenge in all missions. Also, since competitive players will likely try each mission several times, all of the co-op missions contain randomized elements to keep every playthrough fresh. Clearing the co-op missions not only gives you scores and bragging rights – it also has benefits for your multiplayer career. There are a number of weapons that you can unlock in co-op and take with you to the regular multiplayer modes. These unlocks are based on your combined scores accumulated throughout the co-op campaign.

We hope you enjoyed this first look at Exfiltration. It was very rewarding meeting our fans at gamescom, and we hope you stay tuned for more blog posts here at the PlayStation.Blog as we move ever closer to launch. And don’t forget there’s an upcoming Open Beta in September!

PAGE 1 2

+ GET2DAACHOPPAAAA on August 31st, 2011 at 7:10 am said:

Do you earn XP in Co-op like in the traditional MP?

Tommy Rydling's Avatar

+ Tommy Rydling on August 31st, 2011 at 11:11 am said:

Nope — that would be too easy to just replay co-op missions on easy to pad your online progression. There is a scoring system in co-op that shows how proficient you and your partner is — and there are the co-op specific unlocks I mentioned in the text that carry over to multiplayer.

+ LightKiosk on August 31st, 2011 at 7:13 am said:

Looking forward to the MP BETA.

Haven’t pre ordered the game yet, but if I enjoy the BETA, I’ll definitely pre order it. ;)

+ Born_To_Chill on August 31st, 2011 at 7:15 am said:

So no splitscreen co-op?

+ utopianacht on August 31st, 2011 at 7:23 am said:

can’t wait to play this game.. @_@’

+ Maverick10 on August 31st, 2011 at 7:24 am said:

This having co op was kind of a shocker to me. Very cool.

+ BOSTONJOHN32 on August 31st, 2011 at 7:24 am said:

hurry,lol…

can not wait any longer

+ nYcFrEeWiLL82 on August 31st, 2011 at 7:26 am said:

i thought it was going to be 4 player co-op missions..>:/ I guess Im still JUST going to get MW3..i love the final kill replays :p

+ soldiercell on August 31st, 2011 at 7:33 am said:

Battlefield Sucks!

+ ez_____ez_____ez on August 31st, 2011 at 7:35 am said:

@ 8 Another COD fanboy in envy and trolling along.

+ slawson8 on August 31st, 2011 at 7:40 am said:

@soldiercell

Dont be a doosh. Both MW3 and BF3 are going to be great I personally pre-ordered both.

+ alok893 on August 31st, 2011 at 7:41 am said:

To Tommy Rydling
Why don’t you use the full power of the Playstation 3 for your video game?
Battlefield 3 looks as same as the Xbox 360 version and we all know PS3 is capable of something more.

+ slawson8 on August 31st, 2011 at 7:51 am said:

@alok893

Because then all the Xbox fans will throw a fit about how they didn’t get the same quality game as we did.

+ LilWayneSuckz on August 31st, 2011 at 7:52 am said:

@alok893

What are you talking about? DICE and EA haven’t even demoed the game on 360, they’ve only shown it on PS3 and PC

+ Bubaroo on August 31st, 2011 at 7:52 am said:

Excited and can’t wait. Mine’s pre-ordered and fully paid. YES!!

+ LilWayneSuckz on August 31st, 2011 at 7:57 am said:

Kudos to you guys for actually demoing a game on PS3 instead of 360 for a change. I am gladly giving up Call of Duty for Battlefield 3

Will the co-op mode have matchmaking?

+ guitarded77 on August 31st, 2011 at 7:59 am said:

My most anticipated game of 2011… followed closely by Uncharted 3, Skyrim, Dark Souls and Batman Arkham City. Oh… Dear Playstation, can I borrow $300?

+ Shinmigami on August 31st, 2011 at 8:12 am said:

split screen?

+ Bolduk on August 31st, 2011 at 8:19 am said:

@ soldiercell
If you don’t like Battlefield type of games, then why do you got a Killzone avatar.

+ Airwalkinman17 on August 31st, 2011 at 8:25 am said:

@17

Yeah me too! I would also like to know if this game will have split screen. I’m pretty sure that its not, but it should. I read somewhere that it wasn’t going to so it was an instant buzz kill for me. I really like the Battlefield series, but sometimes I like to play a game with someone next to me. Maybe for Battlefield 4? lol

Tommy Rydling's Avatar

+ Tommy Rydling on August 31st, 2011 at 11:14 am said:

Online co-op only is correct.

+ TarzanSr on August 31st, 2011 at 8:27 am said:

I love Co-OP! This looks awesome!@

+ sito__305 on August 31st, 2011 at 8:37 am said:

DICE needs too give us a date for the Beta already. Tired of Black Ops Garbage hit detection and battlefield bad company bullet sponges enemies.

+ Zacky-V-A7X on August 31st, 2011 at 9:05 am said:

The multiplayer beta will be available to PS+ subscribers??

Tommy Rydling's Avatar

+ Tommy Rydling on August 31st, 2011 at 11:15 am said:

The Open Beta in September will be open to everyone. Exact dates will be revealed later.

+ alok893 on August 31st, 2011 at 9:11 am said:

@ LilWayneSuckz
They didn’t demo the 360 version cause they don’t want people to know it’s the same as the PS3 version.

+ soldiercell on August 31st, 2011 at 9:17 am said:

@Bolduk #18 KILLZONE owns Battlefails! and MW3 owns em all!

+ DoTheKiller91 on August 31st, 2011 at 9:18 am said:

I got my copy pre-ordered! Can’t wait to play coop with my brother!

+ slawson8 on August 31st, 2011 at 9:20 am said:

Stop arguing they are all great games I have all 3 series

+ TheJLC on August 31st, 2011 at 9:20 am said:

Pre-ordered my copy a long time ago. Can’t wait.

+ Bubaroo on August 31st, 2011 at 9:29 am said:

@soldiercell How do you figure that? Not challenging your tastes. Just want your opinion.

+ Enigma777 on August 31st, 2011 at 9:30 am said:

I heard that the BF3 co-op felt like it was just tacked on instead of being designed from the ground up for cooperative play like MW3′s Spec Ops…

+ that-acmilan-guy on August 31st, 2011 at 9:30 am said:

Nothing I alreadt don’t know of, Co op is always good but didn’t see anything special. Hope some great missions change my mind. Also When will you guys who console footage of BF3 multiplayer and singleplayer?

+ Ethereal on August 31st, 2011 at 9:31 am said:

Day one!

+ rockinjs864 on August 31st, 2011 at 9:39 am said:

I’m still on the fence about the other title with it’s games being so repetitive and all the great titles about to come out I doubt I would be interested in even playing it but BF3 is a must buy keep up the hard work DICE so you can dethrone this so called “king”

+ ez_____ez_____ez on August 31st, 2011 at 9:41 am said:

I heard that if you want to play MW3 early all you have to do is pop in your MW2 disk because it’s the same game w/ different textures. Basically MW3 is a big DLC for MW2. I’m saying this as a fan of both games. But BF3 has obviously exceeded MW3 in every way.

+ Bubaroo on August 31st, 2011 at 9:42 am said:

@rockinjs864 I agree. I’ve been playing COD forever and although it has been fun, I would like a new fps experience. I’m not saying MW3 is gonna blow, but from what I’ve seen it’s the same as Black Ops and MW2. Like I said, I just want a different fps.

+ DROPGRAVY on August 31st, 2011 at 9:43 am said:

GOML

+ DaNTi3L on August 31st, 2011 at 9:49 am said:

best fps this year no doubt in my mind

+ arcticjim on August 31st, 2011 at 10:06 am said:

Wow. No split-screen? I Love BF and COD but whichever has split-screen I’m getting, so that would Be MW3 and Twisted Metal instead of BF3 and NFS: The Run. I was really looking forward to it. But a 10-hour single player campaign is not worth, I repeat is not worth, $60. I have bad internet so I cand do online multiplayer. Well I hope EA reads this and decides to put 4 player split-screen in BF4 or bad company 3. Bye!

+ ez_____ez_____ez on August 31st, 2011 at 10:15 am said:

Imagine Bad Company w/ the new Frostbite 2 engine………

+ BOSTONJOHN32 on August 31st, 2011 at 10:37 am said:

my opinion is this, c.o.d. did to f.p.s as madden did w/ football.. since 2005 madden has owned football and has made minor changes dues to the lack of competition and the contracts they have w/ the nfl/players etc.. so w/ the success and knowledge that ea can put out madden every year and hold back on major changes knowing that people will buy based on what other football game is out there , none to speak of.. call of duty also had followed suit, produced a quality game and then held back on the true potential/upgrades because they know they will dominate regardless.. but battlefield isnt new to this f.p.s by any means but has taken the steps to make a game which can not be overlooked.. hence formidable threat in the f.p.s genre.. and a good example is that if another respectable football game came out, madden 13 /14 would make big overhauls to overtake a threat to sales.
and if mw3 lacks the firepower to compete on a gameplay/overall exp level, trust and believe mw4 will make major changes. this year i believe b3 will set the bar on f.p.s. , maybe not sales but a damn good gaming exp . but next year i can almost promise mw4 will have a new formula. both are great franchises/games.

+ Itobon on August 31st, 2011 at 10:53 am said:

my question is how many player can play coop the stoty online

+ Itobon on August 31st, 2011 at 11:09 am said:

Battlefield 3 coop mode will be better that MW3 survival mode. I will buy Battlefield 3 not MW3 because the coop and the intense gameplay and multiplayer of Battlefield 3 and i hate the exclusive early maps for XBOX 360 on all call of duty games infinity wont have my hard working money this year they dont care for PS3 users.

+ GET2DAACHOPPAAAA on August 31st, 2011 at 11:24 am said:

Looks fun but Ill have to wait for a price drop. U3, Dark Souls, and Resistance 3 have made me a poor gamer.

+ KwietStorm on August 31st, 2011 at 11:47 am said:

Well you heard it here first. BOSTONJOHN32 PROMISES that COD will be a new formula next year. I know what I’m betting on.

+ marlyt on August 31st, 2011 at 12:06 pm said:

Tommy, DICE is the most kick booty game developer ever. I love what you all do. I’ve only known about the BF IP since Bad Company part 1, but the destructible settings in that game blew my mind. BF3 is the sweetest looking game I’ve ever seen. If you can’t tell I am super psyched about BF3 and thank you for treating PS and the PS Nation as worthy consumers, unlike that other company…Acne-vision…or something like that. I’m buying two copies just to stick it to cod. Tee Hee. BF3 GOTY FTW!!!

+ Terard on August 31st, 2011 at 12:07 pm said:

Cannot wait for this game!!! Ugh so tired of my FPShooters but this one looks so much better! I’ve pre-ordered 2 copies so I can give one to a friend cause to persuade the hard headed CoD fan :) I am blown away by all the BF3 trailers! I am enjoying BC2 still but really ready for BF3. Midnight release for sure! Love you guys at DICE for making awesome multiplat games :)

+ BlackIceJoe on August 31st, 2011 at 12:09 pm said:

Is there any chance of a Battlefield version for the Vita? Also do you have any plans on making a sequel to Mirror’s Edge?

+ marlyt on August 31st, 2011 at 12:10 pm said:

@ Soldiercell

You’re an embarassment. Get back under the bridge, Troll!!!

+ marlyt on August 31st, 2011 at 12:12 pm said:

@BlackIceJoe– Google Mirror’s Edge Two and you can find some screens of the sequel. I think it’s still rumor status but they exist. If I’m wrong and it’s confirmed, then that’s news to me.

+ Berae on August 31st, 2011 at 12:18 pm said:

Coop will be interesting!

+ WelmoscaBR on August 31st, 2011 at 12:38 pm said:

good game and I’ll buy but come on guys why not slipt-screen?…but this game is nothing compared with Killzone and Resistance.

PAGE 1 2