PS4-Infamous

Kickoff the NFL Season on PS3 with the NFL SUNDAY TICKET App, Available Today on PlayStation Network

Phil Rosenberg's Avatar + Posted by Phil Rosenberg on Sep 06, 2011 // Senior Vice President, Business Development, SCEA

We recently announced our partnership with DIRECTV to bring their most popular sports subscription service, NFL SUNDAY TICKET, directly to you via your PlayStation 3. Starting later today, you can access the direct link in the My Channels category under the TV/Video Services icon on the XMB (XrossMediaBar) or head over to the media category of the PlayStation Store to download the app in anticipation of the new 2011 NFL season.

This Sunday, PS3 owners without access to DIRECTV will be able to live stream every out-of-market Sunday NFL game on their PS3 with a subscription to NFL SUNDAY TICKET. You’ll be able to enhance your NFL experience with live multi-game scoreboards and field position trackers, which also allow you to access highlights, stats, standings and schedules, as well as the Red Zone Channel, which gives you live coverage of Sunday’s most exciting moments. The subscription for the 2011 season can be purchased directly through the app for $339.95. Existing subscribers can use the PS3 as an additional receiver in their home, as part of their NFL SUNDAY TICKET To-Go package, which is purchased through DIRECTV.

Check out the video to see how the app works on PS3:

PAGE 1 2 3 4 12

+ Bobflac on September 6th, 2011 at 9:42 am said:

Get NFL rewind only $40

+ NYGNO1FAN on September 6th, 2011 at 9:42 am said:

@50 it’s all about popularity. Plus who the heck wants to watch that much baseball…..

+ mrt144 on September 6th, 2011 at 9:43 am said:

Baseball is a terrible sport to watch on TV, ergo they have to entice viewership through a cheaper price.

+ Robbie_G_lrish on September 6th, 2011 at 9:53 am said:

Ugh, I want this so bad… Go Giants! See you in week 3 Jeff!

+ NYGNO1FAN on September 6th, 2011 at 9:56 am said:

@53 Amen to that….

+ JaY_Ci_415 on September 6th, 2011 at 10:04 am said:

Man, I’m really tempted to swoop this up with the $85 payment a month plan but still a high price to pay for a seaon. Hmm…

+ nafscub on September 6th, 2011 at 10:17 am said:

The main hang up with these sports apps is Black Outs.
Kills the deal in every way. Hopefully everyone can get beyond this someday.

+ boxmyth on September 6th, 2011 at 10:24 am said:

This is easily one of the awesomest things I’ve ever seen any company do in the history of ever.
So, so thankful to Sony and DirecTV for making this happen. Thank you a million times over.

+ HeadAcheJoe on September 6th, 2011 at 10:25 am said:

$85/mo is above my interest level for NFL, BUT I hope this – getting cable TV services/alternatives – is a trend for the PS3.

I would be thrilled if, in the future, I could order ESPN, Fox Sports, the PAC-12 channel, a news channel and say, HBO a la carte through my PS3. I could drop my cable service and roll with just broadband. (Maybe throw in History, NatGeo, G4, etc as other options…)

The PS3 is getting close to becoming a legit HTPC, but doesn’t play nice with a cable box, and falls short of offering enough services to eliminate need for a cable box.

I see this NFL (and MLB) offering as another step in the right direction, though.

+ smintja on September 6th, 2011 at 10:38 am said:

Go Cowboys!!!

+ DigitalProduct on September 6th, 2011 at 10:49 am said:

Looks awesome but a bit to pricey for me. Way to many games I want to buy to pay for this lol =)

+ megalodonshark on September 6th, 2011 at 11:14 am said:

a 9 billion a year entertainment entourage. i think they could do better than expecting all of us who have to work very hard for what little money we get by making it say 200-250 per year, if it was about 30% cheaper i might even be able to convince my wife in buying it, but only if a bit cheaper. you would think with all the money they make, they might go easy on the fans.

+ datoupee on September 6th, 2011 at 11:20 am said:

I’m not sure why everyone is upset with the price. It comes out to $19.99 / per week over the 17 week season to watch you favorite team(s). Not a bad deal at all.

+ duke301 on September 6th, 2011 at 11:45 am said:

I’m not all all upset about the price, $85 a month is doable for me. The only thing I’m worried about is my internet is 3.0 Mbps, and I hope that is fast enough. I already checked, and it is the fastest available in my area. I’ve never had any problems streaming from Netflix. Also, I understand that it is ‘Sunday’ Ticket, but are Thursday night games, and Sunday night games for that matter watchable?

Phil Rosenberg's Avatar

+ Karen Spearrin on September 6th, 2011 at 3:52 pm said:

The NFL Sunday Ticket app is for Sunday games only, with up to 14 games each week.

+ Kchow23 on September 6th, 2011 at 12:07 pm said:

NBA League Pass for all! only big sport that is yet to be covered.

+ JonJonXD on September 6th, 2011 at 12:12 pm said:

I still don’t understand why people are complaining about the pricing.

It’s the same pricing as it is on Direct TV.

Also, for the people I know who only have cable TV for sports, this is pretty amazing. Why spend the 50+ a month on TV when you can spend less for what you actually watch? Also in this case, if you are a hardcore NFL buff like a few of my friends, this is even better. Pay less for more and relevant content. Why not?

+ dentine1 on September 6th, 2011 at 12:22 pm said:

I’m worried my wireless wont handle the HD load. I stream HD netflix with little to no problem. Think its a safe bet that this would act the same way? I have two PS3′s also, wonder if it would handle streaming to both!

+ BigTallChris on September 6th, 2011 at 12:40 pm said:

I have the same question as Stopher999:

Can I just buy certain months, or 30-day periods, for $84.99? My Dolphins are on national TV a couple of times in September, so I don’t need it this month. But I would sure like to purchase it for October.

Can we buy single months or single 30-day periods for $84.99? I can see myself buying a month or two, but not the whole season.

+ TheBesticles on September 6th, 2011 at 12:44 pm said:

Is there a return policy? And I have concerns about the quality of the stream. Can anyone vouch for the HD quality?

+ toolfreakuna on September 6th, 2011 at 12:45 pm said:

My main concern is the availability of DVR functionality. Anyone know anything on this piece?

+ chris77erickson on September 6th, 2011 at 12:45 pm said:

The price of Sunday Ticket doesn’t bother me. What does bother me is the lack of information out there on such a popular item. They have released very few details about the offering and now after pstering on the comment board, it is listed as “sometime this afternoon”. Gee, thanks! As someone new to the while PS3 world, I am really suprised at how this PS3/Sunday ticket thing has been handled. They seem to be purposeful in creating an environment where everyone is wondering what the heck is going on. Is this how is it with all game/media releases?

+ xeroxkid on September 6th, 2011 at 12:56 pm said:

3mbps for the bandwidth HD feed is wimpy and will look overly compressed!!!

Please Sony & Directv higher the bandwidth to 4.5mbps like mlbtv or even higher considering we will be paying a high premium for this product…

Ps…Also please include the Fantasy Team tracker with this app…Thx.

+ Haskell420 on September 6th, 2011 at 12:59 pm said:

Hey a couple of VERY IMPORTANT QUESTIONS THAT IS NOT BEEN ANSWERED

i do agree that they should give us a DEMO, or a 1 week free trial to see HOW it looks coming thru our PS3′s, because with the video’s I’ve seen, SOMETIMES the quality doesn’t look HD, so, not too happy that the DATA RATE is ONLY 3mbps…and some say that’s NOT full HD

Now with the NFL Package, we get all the games on Sunday, BUT, are we allowed, or is it fact that AFTER the Sunday games are over, we go into th NFL Ticket App and then PLAY, ANY of the previous games from that Sunday that we CANT watch??

I know I have seen, read and heard that with the Direct TV Package, once you subscribe to the NFL Sunday Ticket, that after the games are over, they can go in, select the game that they want to watch, and thwn watch it.

1. Do you know for a fact that YES, we will be able to access and watch the replays of Sunday Games during the week?

2. How does it work with the RED ZONE Channel???

3. If and when a team scores, does a NEW WINDOW open up??

+ MrBill on September 6th, 2011 at 1:04 pm said:

A full bitrate H.264 stream requires a stream of ~8.5M. Having 3M available for an iPad stream might be ok but it will not look very good on a 55″ 1080p LED television. I was feeling really good about this app since I can’t get DirecTV but now I am a little concerned that the PQ might be unwatchable…..

+ BigSteveCat on September 6th, 2011 at 1:14 pm said:

Is it “later today” yet?

+ Hogwild333 on September 6th, 2011 at 1:27 pm said:

Do you have to watch the games live or can you start watching the game you are interested in whenever you want? This feature may be the deciding factor for me.

+ jvw204 on September 6th, 2011 at 1:27 pm said:

Yes, thats a good question, SteveCat

Is it later yet? How about now?

How about now? LOL

C’mon Sony!! The wait is killing meeee!!!

+ Mazer9000 on September 6th, 2011 at 1:34 pm said:

Price is really not a concern. DirecTV charges about the same for this service for their satellite customers. Those who might be getting it “free” this year are on the hook for at least two years of satellite service in addition to having to pay for the Ticket next year. Additionally, I spend a lot more than this to go sit at a smokey bar, order a couple of beers, eat crappy food, and tip a waiter every Sunday afternoon. My guess is I spend AT LEAST $40 a week doing this now.

My major concern is picture quality and reliability. I heard that some people had problems with DirectTV’s “On-The-Go” mobile app last year. I’d hate to be on the hook for all the installments if this service sucks. Otherwise, I think this would be a great alternative.

+ Haskell420 on September 6th, 2011 at 1:36 pm said:

THE BIT RATE HAS ME EXTREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEMELY CONCERNED!!!

SONY, YOU BETTER PAY ATTENTION TO THAT FACT BECAUSE THAT BIT RATE? IS HORRIBLE, PERIOD!WE ARE NOT STUPID. WE KNOW WHAT IS GOOD AND WHAT ISN’T, AND THAT’S NOT!

FOR $340 BUCKS, IT BETTER BE SEAMLESS.. NO AUDIO LAG, NO LIVE GAME LAG, NOTHING!

SEE, THAT IS WHY YOU SHOULD HAVE OFFERED THIS TO US WEEKS AGO!!

WHEN THE NFL PRE SEASON STARTED, YOU COULD HAVE GIVEN US A “FREE PREVIEW” OF THE NFL SUNDAY TICKET W/ THE PRE SEASON GAMES!!

THEN WE COULD HAVE TESTED IT OUT FOR FREE, SEEN THE QUALITY OF THE VIDEO STREAMING INTO OUR PS3′S, THEN INTO OUR HDTV. IF THE QUALITY STUNK, WE COULD HAVE TOLD YOU, IF THE BiT RATE STUNK, WE WOULD HAVE TOLD YOU, LIKE EVERYONE IS DOING NOW.

SINCE YOU DID NOT DO THAT, NOW THE ODDS OF ME ACTUALLY PURCHASING IT, HAS DROPPED FROM A HIGH OF 95%, YES I’M GETTING IT, HAS NOW PLUMETTED TO 20%

+ NaNa_G_ on September 6th, 2011 at 1:40 pm said:

People seem confused, not $85 a month, $85 for four months, which breaks it up into four payments over the course of the year which adds up to $340. Seems like a good deal considering all of the content, im just not that into football.

+ cans4mycat on September 6th, 2011 at 1:43 pm said:

It is 4:45pm east coast time and I still don’t see the app in the places posted in the announcement . Has anyone had any luck seeing it on their playstation network?

+ TABBYG87 on September 6th, 2011 at 1:43 pm said:

Halleluja

+ jvw204 on September 6th, 2011 at 1:46 pm said:

No, not up yet here either. I’m East coast as well.

+ mgoldb2 on September 6th, 2011 at 1:48 pm said:

In defense of Sony I am almost certain their choices were to either charge $340 or not have it at all. Direct TV contract with the NFL give them exclusive rights to NFL Sunday Ticket. Without any special deals the cost is $340. I very much doubt Direct TV would have allowed Sony to sell it for lower then what they assigned the full cost to be.

When SONY negotiated the contract with Direct TV the $340 price tag was properly a non negotiable point dictated by Direct TV.

+ jleimer on September 6th, 2011 at 1:50 pm said:

I still cant find it and Im a direct tv subscriber so this will be kind of like a second receiver.

+ NaNa_G_ on September 6th, 2011 at 1:50 pm said:

scratch post 80…completely wrong, had a dumb moment lol.

+ Lugoves on September 6th, 2011 at 1:59 pm said:

Snap! Oh, Yes Go EAGLES!

+ CATTMAN2 on September 6th, 2011 at 2:08 pm said:

do you have to be a direct tv owner

+ chris77erickson on September 6th, 2011 at 2:08 pm said:

after 2pm Pacific and 5pm Eastern? Did you mean afternoon Hawaii time?

+ CATTMAN2 on September 6th, 2011 at 2:09 pm said:

what will happen if you dont have direct tv

+ jvw204 on September 6th, 2011 at 2:11 pm said:

You dont need to have DirectTV to get this. It’s a completely separate, individual thing on it’s own, with no contract or sattelite dish required

+ mrt144 on September 6th, 2011 at 2:14 pm said:

Cattman, I don’t know if you really should be making such important financial decisions if you can’t be bothered to read, watch or listen to all the info posted.

+ Marinomanx13 on September 6th, 2011 at 2:18 pm said:

I sincerely hope the quality is good. Even “good” works for me, because I won’t notice it as soon as the game starts. I also think $340 is a bit pricey, but I’m paying for it and so are a lot of other people commenting here, I’m guessing, so I guess someone took put their knowledge of supply-demand economics to good use! =P

Also, and this is nitpicking a bit here, admittedly so, but “up this afternoon” implies between 12 noon and about 4:30 pm. You should have said “evening” instead so I didn’t spend the last four hours checking the Store for something that wasn’t there yet!

+ Marinomanx13 on September 6th, 2011 at 2:20 pm said:

Although if the times on all the comments above are listed as Pacific Standard Time, then you’re still in the clear… so I guess it’s more the case of Eastern Standard me being impatient, haha.

+ mrt144 on September 6th, 2011 at 2:25 pm said:

Kinda like on Sunday when you wake up at 9:30 AM and still have to wait 4 hours for a game to start.

+ zambingo on September 6th, 2011 at 2:41 pm said:

As a person without the ability to install a DirectTV setup, this service really intrigues me. Bravo to Sony, DirectTV and the NFL in making this available. However the price is still prohibitive, even in payments. I’m not hurting, but that’s hard to justify. The MLB option is priced at a much more alluring figure.

+ jvw204 on September 6th, 2011 at 2:46 pm said:

Its up!

+ jets337 on September 6th, 2011 at 2:48 pm said:

The issue for price is based on the fact that Directv, and the networks pay billions to the NFL for television rights. TV ratings for the NFL is much higher than the other sports, so that gets handed down to us. I live in Buffalo in an apt, and can’t get the dish. This is a nice work around that will allow me to watch the Jets each week, and whatever other game that will likely be more entertaining than the local Buffalo Bills. Not for everyone, but a good option for the passionate NFL fan. Like many of you, I’m waiting for the app to show up.

+ Klarin on September 6th, 2011 at 2:52 pm said:

Anyone seen if you account will allow access to the Sunday Ticket web app (On-The-Go for normal DTV subs) when you are away from the PS3 for trips or what not?

+ kharts on September 6th, 2011 at 2:53 pm said:

Will there be any way to try this before buying to verify quality. MLB.TV streams terribly for me on my PS3, but works perfectly fine on my computer and AppleTV from the same room. I can’t justify paying this price without knowing how well it will work.

PAGE 1 2 3 4 12