Far Cry 4

God of War: Origins Collection Bonus Content Detailed, Roundtable Reflections

Dana Jan's Avatar + Posted by Dana Jan on Sep 07, 2011 // Game Director, Ready at Dawn

God of War: Origins Collection for PS3

Hey everyone. With God of War: Origins Collection due to hit stores next week (September 13th!), I thought it would be fun to share my recollection of what went down at the Game Directors Live round table discussion last year prior to the launch of God of War: Ghost of Sparta, but before I do, here’s a quick teaser trailer of the event. Remember the full video is part of the bonus content that is included in God of War: Origins Collection, along with a Legionnaire Kratos skin and the Forest of the Forgotten combat arena, all on the same Blu-ray Disc.

Now back to the event…it was September 1st and we were deep into the final stages of completing Ghost of Sparta when the taping occurred. Do they even use tape anymore? Anyway, it was apparently the only time when all five of us could be in the same place at the same time. So, Ru and I drove up to the El Portal Theater in North Hollywood from the Ready At Dawn office, tired and battered, but ready for what would be an interesting evening. When we pulled up to the theater, there were already fans lined up outside waiting for the doors to open. That was a cool sight and it gave me the first clue that this was going to be memorable for all of us. We snuck in through the side entrance and went down to the green room so that they could throw some HD-compliant makeup on us and make sure we were fit for filming. While that was going on, Cory (who I hadn’t seen for quite some time) strolled in and we caught up a bit before David arrived. I had never met him before that night, so I was really looking forward to it. He was cool and we all kinda sat around and got acquainted before we moved up to the stage area where preparations for filming were still underway.

God of War: Game Directors LiveGod of War: Game Directors Live

Several media outlets were shooting before-and-after coverage of the event and each of the directors had an opportunity to answer some quick questions. I saw Stig being interviewed and made my way over to him after he wrapped to say hello. Since God of War III and Ghost of Sparta had overlapping production schedules, it hadn’t been very long since we last spoke or saw each other. Once all of the directors were accounted for, we were bounced from camera to camera doing interviews while the crew worked on the lighting, sound checks, video playback, and final stage dressing. By the way, the stage was crazy looking, but what I remember most of all is that they pointed out several fake stone tiles that we should avoid stepping on because they were made of thin, flimsy plastic that we could fall through. How very God of War…where are the spinning saw blades flying across the floor? I’m feeling real good about this now. Rehearsal is about to start.

God of War: Origins Collection HD for PS3God of War: Origins Collection HD for PS3

None of us knew exactly what was going to transpire. I mean, we had an idea because a rough outline of the show had been sent to us, but until we got on stage and started running the plays, I don’t think we had a good idea of what the show entailed. Alison Haislip was hosting the show and I think she did a great job. I had met her briefly at E3 while I was giving press demos of Ghost of Sparta in the PlayStation booth. She seemed into our game and the whole God of War franchise so I think it was a good fit. Practicing the director intros took forever. Seriously. Alison would say a little bit about each game/director, a screen would drop from the ceiling, a short video for the relevant game/director would play, and then we’d walk from stage-left onto the set and take our seats. Of course, there were numerous issues that required a full reset and we’d have to start all over again. Practice makes perfect. I remember the first questions were directed to David as they were about the beginning of everything. He basically said he wasn’t going to answer the questions during rehearsal because he was saving the good stuff for the actual show. I’m glad he did because it made the discussions more interesting and real. Some of the answers were really interesting and made me look at God of War from completely different angles. That’s what I really enjoyed about this night. Each of us attacked this game from a different perspective. We are in these games. Five different people guided incredibly talented teams towards a unified goal. And we talked about how that was made possible.

God of War: Origins Collection HD for PS3

Finally, it’s show time. The crowd was excited. We came out and did our thing. Check out the final cut and see for yourself. There was actually quite a good deal of content not included because of time, but I think they edited it down to what was important. The Q&A session at the end was really fun. One of my favorite things is fielding questions from people in the audience. You never know what they’ll ask and sometimes they can catch you off guard. It probably also makes for good television.

After the show, Cory and Stig had to head out, but Ru, David, myself, and some great folks from PlayStation stopped over at a little restaurant for some relaxation and more conversation. We ate, drank, and talked about the past and the future. You know… standard industry stuff. Actually, the discussions we had after the show were just as entertaining as those we had on stage. I had a great time and I’m excited that more people will get to share this experience when they get their copies of God of War: Origins Collection. Until next time, I’m out.

+ LightKiosk on September 7th, 2011 at 8:12 am said:

That’s an AWESOME box art..

+ Chuckbait on September 7th, 2011 at 8:41 am said:

Will this look better on Vita?

Forget this bundle, baby…. Shadow of Colossus and ICO collection FTW!

+ shaikhrabi on September 7th, 2011 at 8:42 am said:

Well, Remastering these games are good and also Resident Evil 4, all these titles are great ! But i would love to see Max Payne in HD in ps store It’ll be a total hit ! ;)

+ kratos1984 on September 7th, 2011 at 8:56 am said:

can’t wait! quick question, i own both games on psp already, will i be able to use the psp saves on the ps3 collection?

Dana Jan's Avatar

+ Eric Levine on September 7th, 2011 at 11:46 am said:

The PSP saves are not transferable to PS3.

+ TONY-Q on September 7th, 2011 at 9:00 am said:

@shaikhrabi

i would love to see that also… have u heard anything about 3 yet? im dyin for Max Payne 3!!! jus keeps gettin pushed back.

+ Carl-G on September 7th, 2011 at 9:06 am said:

The demo was cool :P

Now where is GOD OF WAR…4 SONY! ! ! :P

+ Venom1976 on September 7th, 2011 at 9:12 am said:

Can’t wait to play these on the PS3 although I own both on PSP. I also have the Game directors video as an order bonus downloading them from the store but I’d like to see them in one part so i’ll pick it up for that too.

+ jazzyrider on September 7th, 2011 at 9:21 am said:

I gotta say, this is so awesome! Just downloaded and played the demo on the PS3 and the graphics in HD are eye popping. So much detail but also love the controller rumbling too. I didn’t realize how much eye squinting I was doing when playing on the PSP. Now when you play in full HD on your big screen, it really is spectacular! Just wish the demo had Chains of Olympus in addition to Ghost of Sparta.

Dana Jan's Avatar

+ Eric Levine on September 7th, 2011 at 11:49 am said:

Thanks for your support!

+ Useless_Person on September 7th, 2011 at 9:45 am said:

Will this also come with the Deimos skin for God of War III?

+ wolfscorpion on September 7th, 2011 at 9:50 am said:

will this game be on psn to download??? or is it disc based only?

+ marwan89 on September 7th, 2011 at 10:12 am said:

please put it on psn and have a discount for plus members like the first collection and psp ghost of sparta

+ tonydamiani on September 7th, 2011 at 10:14 am said:

Awesomesauce!!! :D

+ lisatsunami on September 7th, 2011 at 10:19 am said:

I played the demo & it looked great & played great. Fun.

I’m voting for all HD remakes to be available for digital download & I promise not to b*tch & moan if the price is full retail.

+ zombie9 on September 7th, 2011 at 10:48 am said:

I prefer blueray disk over a download any day. So thank you for the Blueray version. I also would like to say my Avatar is it still not available as a bonus? I got alot of friends that want it. But really I still would like to keep it for myself… :)

+ PoP_BoY_ on September 7th, 2011 at 11:19 am said:

i just have one question will u release the character demois in Collection code or something ? 2 play it in gow3 i need this so badly please need answer ?

+ hush404 on September 7th, 2011 at 11:21 am said:

I remember watching that… maybe live? It was very interesting :) Will re-watch it when I pop my GoW Origins disc in my PS3 :)

+ Blackxino on September 7th, 2011 at 11:58 am said:

yo this better have the Deimous skin man!

+ djml9 on September 7th, 2011 at 12:00 pm said:

what the…? no complaints yet. THE APOCALYPSE IS COMING!!!

+ Hawkboi on September 7th, 2011 at 12:04 pm said:

Demo was fantastic…the 3D was done well…some lovely touches in there. Has convinced me to buy. Will the other games get patches for 3D?

+ TONY-Q on September 7th, 2011 at 12:06 pm said:

jus played demo, it was good.

+ jgrizzle358 on September 7th, 2011 at 12:17 pm said:

kinda sucks that the bonuses are the same as Ghost of Sparta on PSP… minus a few things

+ angelspawn77 on September 7th, 2011 at 12:24 pm said:

Well this bonus stuff is great and all, but as a guy who was on the fence on buying this it doesn’t help that I already have the bonus content from the great psp pre-order deal where we got these things and more. I played the demo and the game looks pretty slick and the 3D effect isn’t bad at all, but I dunno, maybe it has something to do with the fact that I’ve played both these games about 3 times a piece. I will be getting it sooner or later, but for now im not convinced to get it day 1.

+ D-Squad3 on September 7th, 2011 at 12:36 pm said:

I really want this but it comes out on the same day as WKC 2!!! And not to mention the TEAM ICO Collection is coming out soon as well.

+ angelspawn77 on September 7th, 2011 at 12:37 pm said:

@19

I don’t care about the first 2 honestly (although I wouldn’t complain), but if GOW3 got patched for 3D, that would make my day. I recall Stig saying something about 3D and GOW3, I think he said that he would like to see it in 3D or something like that, make it happen please!

+ jorge15931 on September 7th, 2011 at 12:41 pm said:

But whats new for the ones that already bought that games for the psp, i mean i pre-ordered the ghost of sparta game and the feutures or bonus content anounced here is the same i received at that time. So there is nothing new apart of the arena ?

+ angelspawn77 on September 7th, 2011 at 12:44 pm said:

@ jorge, the arena is not new either. The only thing new is the HD and 3D.

+ WILLDWILL on September 7th, 2011 at 1:13 pm said:

Must buy! Please, add Portuguese subtitles!

+ Motherboop on September 7th, 2011 at 1:59 pm said:

Been playing God of War Collection all day, getting pumped for this next week!

+ Alyyse on September 7th, 2011 at 2:10 pm said:

i’m the god of war master

+ jgrizzle358 on September 7th, 2011 at 3:04 pm said:

@angelspawn77 and trophies. that was ultimately my selling point. and PS2/PSP game I own that gets remade in HD and with trophies for PS3 is a sure sale for me. I love trophies and I love HD. lol.

now, they just need to hurry up and remake Kingdom Hearts 1 and 2 in HD and I’ll be happier than I have ever been.

+ EL_MACHO_GUERO on September 7th, 2011 at 3:05 pm said:

The Origins Demo was awesome, I haven’t played Ghost of Sparta completely so I’m really looking foward to it on 9/13 I can’t wait!

+ EnaNo91766 on September 7th, 2011 at 5:12 pm said:

cant wait sep 13 demo was awesome an as some of u said great graphics…does anyone knw if there will be a midnight preiere to pick this game up!!!!! GOW series yeeeeeeee

+ DarylWashington7 on September 7th, 2011 at 5:32 pm said:

Hell yeah Kratos is black!

+ Detective-E on September 7th, 2011 at 5:49 pm said:

Can David Jaffe get his own God of War spinoff series?

+ Psicocrusher on September 7th, 2011 at 8:38 pm said:

I love this Saga. I need put this game into my collection!

+ DemonJediSamuel on September 8th, 2011 at 8:48 am said:

No… just no… I spent money on a PSP… mind you it was worth it just to get the God Of War collection, but what do you do… you take it to the PS3 and make the PSP versions useless. If I was to put money into it… I’d want to move my saved file over to the PS3, but saw in the comments… can’t do that… stop milking and just leave the games alone after this… the third one should have wrapped it all up. Create a new game… or give us all a fighter version of the God Of War Games, it can be done… Soul Calibur did it with Kratos… make your own fighting game.

+ manzoor47 on September 8th, 2011 at 10:10 am said:

looks awesome :D, definitely getting this.

+ Manigamer on September 8th, 2011 at 2:01 pm said:

thiis IS SO AWESOME ! and even AWESOMER that my birthday is ON SEPT 13TH ASWELL ! w00t w00t

+ Dinsouza on September 8th, 2011 at 4:19 pm said:

These HD remaster games just SCREAM for a digital release! Hope it happens soon with these ones and with SotC + ICO!

+ SoleAddict23 on September 9th, 2011 at 10:53 am said:

I agree. People who own any of these God of War games on PSP should get a big discount. Also, the Collection games are too expensive, $40 for really old PS2 games? Overpriced. I’m not sure where I stand on these HD re-releases because one downside is developers put their time in money on these re-releases when they could put that time and money on new entries of their IP’s on new IP’s. Like The Last Guardian, it’s taking longer because of the Ico Collection.

Sidenote, can we please get support for God of War 3!? I would really like to play those levels that were cut out from all the God of War games!

+ Giovonn7 on September 9th, 2011 at 7:33 pm said:

sweet i think that it is cool that yall are putting them on the ps3 now because i nevered played them on the psp because i never had one but now that i can play them on my ps3 it will be a whole new god of war to me