PS4 - Destiny

ICO & Shadow of the Colossus Collection Hit Soon, See Final Box Art

Brian Dunn's Avatar + Posted by Brian Dunn on Sep 08, 2011 // Associate Product Marketing Manager

ICO & Shadow of the Colossus Collection for PS3

It’s been a while since we’ve updated you on the remastered ICO & Shadow of the Colossus Collection, but we did want to remind you about its upcoming launch on September 27th! As a special treat, we’re proud to unveil the final box art and inside packaging for the collection, depicting stylized artwork from both titles. In addition to full 1080p HD, stereoscopic 3D support, and 7.1 surround sound, this re-release contains a ton of exclusive bonus footage and behind-the-scenes content that will await you on September 27th. Full details are available here.

Additionally, we wanted to confirm that The Last Guardian is not on the schedule for this year’s Tokyo Game Show. However we can assure you that Ueda-san and the rest of the development team are hard at work to bring his lofty vision to life and deliver the very best gaming experience possible.

ICO & Shadow of Colossus Collection for PS3

98 Comments   1 Reply

PAGE 1 2

+ gillettjoe on September 8th, 2011 at 3:24 pm said:

I’m all over this, 7.1 surround sound and 3D support for two beautiful and artistic games. Never played SotC, so this this is a great opportunity.

+ Tomm4118 on September 8th, 2011 at 3:31 pm said:

My heart just shattered when I saw the update that The Last Guardian was not going to make an apperence at the Tokyo Game Show.

+ Hooligantuan on September 8th, 2011 at 3:39 pm said:

Perordered back in like March. So ready for this.

Thanks for the artsy reversible cover – it’s REALLY appreciated!

+ Ethereal on September 8th, 2011 at 3:42 pm said:

Day one. Already had this preordered.

+ D-Squad3 on September 8th, 2011 at 3:54 pm said:

How much? $40?

I’m just very happy that Sony listens to their fans, I love these HD collections and they’re great for people who never got the chance to play them.

+ filinese21 on September 8th, 2011 at 3:59 pm said:

First the bonus videos and now a reversible box art? The goodness just keeps coming! I’m so ready for this game to release, too bad about The Last Guardian though. It will receive it’s spotlight in due time, I have no doubts for Team Ico’s prowess!!

Also, I wish more games had reversible box art!!

+ Foxx on September 8th, 2011 at 4:01 pm said:

I don’t usually comment but wanted to show my appreciation for the inside cover artwork on this. So cool to see that on a truly classic set of games. Loved it on Resistance 3 as well and would really like to see more PS3 games include these going forward!

+ JEC94 on September 8th, 2011 at 4:10 pm said:

whats the price?

+ DaNTi3L on September 8th, 2011 at 4:16 pm said:

awesome box art

+ plaztiksyke on September 8th, 2011 at 4:32 pm said:

It’s nice that it’s rendering 1080p native, and the lack of shimmer makes a HUGE difference. The better lighting dynamics also help a great deal.

That being said, it’s disappointing that BluePoint couldn’t get some of the original high-res art assets before they were palletized and re-author some of the environmental textures. There are lots of places where chunky textures are super-close to the camera :(

BluePoint’s audio work in Blast Factor was amazing, and I can’t wait to hear SotC with massive dynamic range on my home theater system.

So, what’s next? Jak & Daxter collection? :) I’d love to see a Broken Sword HD collection.

+ VendettaLion on September 8th, 2011 at 5:03 pm said:

Thank goodness for the duel cover… I was upset the Japanese received such a great package, and the US was left out of the artistic expression discussion (yet again). Great Job on keeping this work of art wonderful both virtually and aesthetically.

+ TallCrowe on September 8th, 2011 at 5:11 pm said:

It looks awesome and I love the reversible box art. It is only a matter of time until Microsoft starts copying that idea.

+ LCBL99 on September 8th, 2011 at 6:16 pm said:

The End is Nigh!!!… The end of this looooooooong wait is nearing it’s end. I love these two titles almost as much as I love my kid. Can’t wait to get my hands on this outstanding edition to my collection. Thank you Sony for listening to us, your fans and fellow gamers. BTW The reverse cover art couldn’t look classier. Keep up the good work!

+ Mattsta001 on September 8th, 2011 at 6:59 pm said:

Finally Sony does something right. Reversible cover looks great. This should be a trend for Sony first party games. Still think these games should be on PSN as well as disc just like other recent PS3 games.

+ poisonedsodapop on September 8th, 2011 at 9:18 pm said:

Correct me if I’m wrong but don’t most first party games already have the reversible covers? I know the inside of their coverart usually has an image on it that you can flip to use on the outside if you choose. Anyways, I’ve had this reserved for months since I never got to play the original games. It’s already paid off, just waiting to pick it up.

+ Deathspear666 on September 8th, 2011 at 10:32 pm said:

Off topic…..

ht tp://ww w.eurog amer.net/arti cles/2011-08-24-why-mic rosoft-wont-publish-psn-firsts

Take out the spaces folks..

+ Blaiz0r on September 9th, 2011 at 3:33 am said:

Never had the chance to play them, but really looking forward to seeing them in HD now,

+ neostardust on September 9th, 2011 at 4:18 am said:

There are so many things that this game is going to have that I’m really going to enjoy!

+ Dark-Twisted on September 9th, 2011 at 5:25 am said:

I would do ANYTHING for a Jak and/or Ratchet collection. Those games I played over and over in the PS2 days. Around the web you’ll see a lot of people who would love them.

Pleeease Sony, if you see this. I’d buy it Day 1. *now back to finishing Sly Trilogy* ;)

+ PayneKiller1509 on September 9th, 2011 at 5:50 am said:

I took notice of it some months ago, and mainly first party games have art on the inside cover and 3rd party games do not. There are 2 exceptions to my collection though, Hot Shots Golf inside cover is just plain white like the rest of 3rd party games, and The Bourne Supremacy is the only 3rd party game I have with inside cover art.

+ lbpmagician on September 9th, 2011 at 6:21 am said:

Awesome reversible cover :D

+ WakizashiM on September 9th, 2011 at 7:15 am said:

Thank you Sony! This should become industry standard from now on. I hope that Sony will do this with all of their games. Uncharted 3 reversible cover?

+ StrykerIsland on September 9th, 2011 at 7:48 am said:

Loved the reversible cover for Resistance 3, please keep this trend going!

+ saintaqua on September 9th, 2011 at 1:20 pm said:

Best reversible cover ever! Please do this with all game releases. It makes them even more like art!!

+ lisatsunami on September 9th, 2011 at 2:15 pm said:

One more comment about Last Guardian: for Kratos’ sake, Ueda-san, even Skyward Sword has a release date! I’ll be swinging my gold wii-mote with Triforce (after scraping off years of dust on my wii) how many frakkin’ months before I get to live in your masterpiece?!!!!!!

+ Veridis_Quo on September 9th, 2011 at 4:48 pm said:

Now this is why I love HD collections, the fact that you bring classics all down to one disc along with added extras and improved performance really makes you appreciate how well some games were ahead of it’s time back then.

+ duo5789 on September 9th, 2011 at 6:34 pm said:

SO COOL!!! Already preordered! Can’t wait! PLEASE make a Jak and Daxter collection!

+ The_Annihilator on September 10th, 2011 at 7:53 am said:

Awesome, I can’t wait for this.

+ iTofuMan on September 10th, 2011 at 6:30 pm said:

Seriously cannot wait for this game, While i had a ps2 i never got a chance to play Ico, and only played little of SotC. now i will be able to play them both and i happy to be able to do so!

Just wish there was some sort of Collectors Edition or something special that came with these games!

+ FeistFan on September 10th, 2011 at 8:36 pm said:

As far as console games go, I went from the Atari 2600 to the NES to the PS3. I never played either of these games — I’d barely HEARD of them. My point, Sony or whoever, is: You need to do a better job marketing to people other than your die-hard fans.

It’s clear these games have a huge following, and that there’s a big deal about HD versions of them. But that’s not clear from anything official from Sony — just from reading responses to posts in forums like this one, when OTHER games were announced in upgraded versions and these were requested, or when there was excited reaction that they were announced. I still haven’t seen anything through official channels that tells me what these games are, why I should care, and what’s so awesome about them.

Since for years the PS3 was the best/cheapest Blu-Ray player, you may have a lot of potential players who just don’t know what we’re missing, because we aren’t familiar with “established” franchises (the same thing is true for Twisted Metal, though at least the announcement that they were working on a PS3 version came with clips that told me exactly what kind of game it was). Don’t just put this stuff out there trusting the name will sell it — show me what I missed!

+ DoctaJohn on September 11th, 2011 at 9:15 am said:

I’m gonna be honest, Shadow of the Colossus is FAR better than Ico. Agro is quite possibly the best sidekick ever, and boss battles make you feel incredibly awesome, but for Ico, mute princess is not tight at all, and the coolest things you can do are jump and hit things with a stick or (!) a sword. For both games, the story isn’t ever fully explained, which some might consider “artful”, though I thought it just ended up being not very engaging. I do think the 7.1 surround and 3D would be awesome, especially for Shadow of the Colossus. I could see getting really into such an immersive experience of being pulled into an amazing work like in Shadow of the Colossus.

+ barnaclejoe on September 11th, 2011 at 10:15 am said:

These two games never sold as well as they deserved to. Most companies would not reinvest in them, despite their incredible quality. So, I have to give serious props to Sony for making this a reality. I hope that there will be advertising and that people will pick it up who never did before.

I hope that people that played Shadow of the Collossus but never played Ico will pick it up as well. Ico is one of my favourite games.. ever. If not.. thee favourite.

Cannot wait to buy this, despite the fact that I already own both.

+ o0cacoto0o on September 12th, 2011 at 5:15 am said:

I’m excited for this game considering I never was able to play these on the ps2. After hearing how good these games were on the net, I decided to look for them, but the price range was out of my league. Now after years of searching, I finally find that the collection is coming. I already preordered this, but as well wish for more collections such as Jak and Daxter HD collection of the 4 games. (jak x being the 4th game).

+ YungShep on September 12th, 2011 at 10:55 am said:

i pre ordered this when i got Resistance 3 last week! cant wait to play SOTC in 3D

+ kingkazuma9 on September 13th, 2011 at 10:07 am said:

Gosh what a shame, I love both these games but why is the box art so unattractive? I mean for a normal game its just fine but the Team Ico games are about the beauty and wonder. And actually this covers not horrid but the Japanese version is just amazing looking. Its a collection after all and I was hoping for something I could show off and be proud to have in my collection.

Im not dissing anyone just kinda let down by how often Japan with holds really amazing stuff from us, we appreciate that sort of thing here too… don’t we?

+ AKUFEN_PS on September 27th, 2011 at 9:19 am said:

why the ico and shadow of the colossus don’t have the reversible cover in Canada? Is there a way to get it from Sony? thank you.

+ SEGASHIRO on September 27th, 2011 at 5:13 pm said:

I love the games. I think they are truly beautiful as this is the 3rd time I am supporting the series on launch.

I am however very disappointed that my copy didn’t get the full color reversible cover.

Imagine my disappointment when after purchasing it – I immediately opened the box to flip the cover only to find nothing there. I’m sorry but the cover I’m left with is worse than the original ICO box art.

These collections are much like collector’s editions of movies…so while it may seem like a little thing…why did I pay the same amount for a poorer version?

I have purchased many games in Canada that come with both US covers and bilingual slips. I am shocked that Sony dropped the ball here. I hope we can get new covers shipped out to us.

+ Dr-Jykill on September 27th, 2011 at 7:30 pm said:

I too am from Canada and picked up my collection today, no reversible cover for us! Hey, Sony, you know we are apart of North America too right? I would appreciate it if you didn’t treat us like a red headed step child. Show us some love, make this right!

+ razor_sharp84 on September 27th, 2011 at 9:20 pm said:

I’m disappointed that the alternate cover was not printed on the reverse of the cover insert for the Canadian release.

+ guywithstick on September 29th, 2011 at 7:15 am said:

Another disappointed Canadian here…

+ indirectx on September 29th, 2011 at 1:13 pm said:

Yet another disappointed Canadian here. I was very surprised to open up the case only to be greeted with the plain white backing of the cover.

+ phatmillips on September 29th, 2011 at 2:39 pm said:

Dissapointed Canadian as well, would be willing to sent the 5 dollars or whatever is needed for a cover. Call it a replacement cover – can we make that happen?

+ Zeer0id on September 29th, 2011 at 7:41 pm said:

+1 disappointed Canadian. Please Sony, anything you can do? Mail us replacement covers?

+ Sacred_Shadow13 on September 30th, 2011 at 9:11 pm said:

Dear Sony

I had never heard of the ICO or Shadow Of The Colossus games before you announced the remastering of the two titles and upon hearing about them I was thrilled. There is nothing that sells a game more to me then story and I heard that these two were some of the best. (no help from you guys hyping it up) I love the idea of alternative covers for your video games and I completely believe it’s another thing that sets you guys above the competition. (I.E why I sold my 360 years ago and never looked back) The quality of your games never ceases to impress me and is one of the many reasons why I will always believe in the PlayStation brand BUT I have to say that you guys really dropped the ball on this one with the removal of the alternative cover for the Canadian release of this title and it really disappoints me. If there is any way that us Canadians can enjoy the full beauty of this game I’m sure we would be more appreciative if you would let us know.

After all we are Canadian eh.

+ RPGr on October 1st, 2011 at 6:08 am said:

Another sad Canadian. How about sending us sad Canadians something to be happy about, I mean….

*spoilers*

The games are sad enough. Give us something to smile about, like shipping us the cover, please?

+ MBCpeanut on October 1st, 2011 at 9:07 am said:

Yet another Canadian who feels ripped off. Not only did we not get the alternate cover, but the one we do get looks like it was printed at somebodies house using a blown-up, low-res version of the cover. This is completely unacceptable. Even if we don’t get the alternate cover, which we should, we shouldn’t have to also deal with something that looks as amateur as this.

+ TUSTIN1 on October 3rd, 2011 at 6:48 am said:

Well, I guess I found my answer – I was wondering why mine was blank…another kick in the pants for seemingly no reason…

+ justinwwoo84 on October 3rd, 2011 at 8:13 am said:

remember when you guys posted the hi-res alternate (i.e better) cover for Heavy Rain? can you do that for the Ico/Shadow of the Colossus reversible cover please?

i’m also a really disappointed Canadian customer.

PAGE 1 2