Minecraft PS4

PS3 Wireless Stereo Headset Available Now, Take the Tour

Abby Reyes's Avatar + Posted by Abby Reyes on Sep 12, 2011 // Sr. PR Specialist, Hardware

Hi everyone! Today, I’m back to talk to you about my favorite topic – PlayStation hardware! By now, you’ve probably seen that the official PS3 Wireless Stereo Headset is available now at a retailer near you. We’re very excited to bring you this advanced PS3 peripheral and we thought we’d take some time to walk you through the key features.

The Wireless Stereo Headset brings you an exceptional sound experience, a rechargeable battery, simple setup and a streamlined design that is as durable as it is comfortable. Available for $99.99 (MSRP) from retailers nationwide, the Wireless Stereo Headset gives you an audio advantage and high-quality voice quality (with a retractable microphone) at a seriously affordable price point. And yes, the official Wireless Stereo Headset pumps up more than PS3 games – Netflix, Blu-ray movies and more will benefit from the Wireless Stereo Headset’s crisp audio quality.

PlayStation Peripherals: Urban Camoflauge Bluetooth DUALSHOCK 3PlayStation Peripherals: Urban Camoflauge Bluetooth Headset

And don’t forget there are more official PS3 accessories coming your way this fall. Keep your eyes peeled for the Urban Camouflage Bluetooth Headset as well as a fan-favorite Urban Camo DUALSHOCK 3 controller hitting stores this November. And of course this November will see the release of the PlayStation 3D Display – PlayStation’s first official gaming display!

Are you interested in the Wireless Stereo Headset? What multiplayer games do you like to play on your PS3? Be sure to let us know in the comments!

UNCHARTED 3 on the 3D Gaming Display

+ Falaut on September 12th, 2011 at 5:59 pm said:

I’m sure somebody mentioned it already, but here it is anyway: I really wish this was BT and didn’t require the dongle OR cost cutting didn’t result in 2 front usb ports unlike my old phat which had, 4!

I am the proud owner of the T500RS for my GT fun, and I will soon be the proud owner of the RS8 shifter. I really wanted this headset to be part of my racing rig, but now I can’t, because I don’t have enough USB ports. Kinda stupid no?

Random person: But Falaut, you can buy a splitter for the USB ports and have more.

To that I say, well wait a minute, I figure that these awesome peripherals need all the bandwidth of usb 2.0,especially something like an audio peripheral, do I really want to try a splitter and have my experienced lessened because all of a sudden two devices are trying to put data through 1 usb port.

end of rant.

+ Hunting_Pa on September 12th, 2011 at 6:09 pm said:

Bought mine already at Gamestop on the 7th. An awesome stereo headset, works great for all audio on the PS3 and the PC. Wireless is a huge plus (I hate cords!). Thanks for a great product Sony!

+ Joe_1234 on September 12th, 2011 at 6:18 pm said:

if i had one, i would never let it go and use it all day everyday. and i’m not talking about the headset ;)

+ cmizer_deviant on September 12th, 2011 at 6:28 pm said:

LOOKS COOL I SHOULD GET MINE SOON U ROCK SONY!

+ bharken on September 12th, 2011 at 6:46 pm said:

Where’s Kevin Butler? LOL

+ Clark_kent01 on September 12th, 2011 at 6:51 pm said:

I been using my headset for 2 days and im loving it. The only thing that i dont get is they dont support 7.1 surround sound for movies. I wish they release some patch to make this thing usable on blu ray movies^^

+ B_Low_The3rd on September 12th, 2011 at 7:15 pm said:

@18 I’ve used this on my iMac with skype the mic works like a champ!!

+ shadysaiyanz on September 12th, 2011 at 7:18 pm said:

Mmmmmm, she’s pretty haha

+ xFiiSz on September 12th, 2011 at 7:31 pm said:

i know your able to use it on pc, but can you use the mic for pc?

+ orangeguy17 on September 12th, 2011 at 7:39 pm said:

Awesome,can’t wait to get it.

+ crowsticky1234 on September 12th, 2011 at 7:49 pm said:

Is there a possibility that this headset can work on the PSP?

+ zzamaro on September 12th, 2011 at 8:02 pm said:

Abby Reyes tiene novio?

+ JEC94 on September 12th, 2011 at 8:08 pm said:

I got the head set days ago

+ phatmillips on September 12th, 2011 at 8:13 pm said:

Kind of concerned that you need a USB dongle to fully utilize this – dont like having to buy a USB Adaptor, just makes a clutter for me. Remember Sony, there’s only 2 USB ports on your PS3s now.

I much rather have a wired headset personally.

+ dyolf10 on September 12th, 2011 at 8:16 pm said:

Waste of money ,it doesn’t have blue-tooth, that dongle hanging out occupies space i only have two usb ports

+ EnaNo91766 on September 12th, 2011 at 8:29 pm said:

this looks great but just bough a turtle beach headset not to long ago so ima have 2 wait a little longer to get this cant afford to waist the money just yet……GOD OF WAR ORIGINS COLLECTION 2MOROW HELL YEEEE!!!!!!

+ Sponge-worthy on September 12th, 2011 at 8:43 pm said:

I recently bought the stereo headset.

Pros: Very useful. Sounds good whether playing a game, watching video, or listening to music. Becomes very easy to use the controls once you get the feel of it.

Cons: As mentioned earlier, a little more bass could be helpful. ‘Surround’ sound doesn’t work with Blu-rays for some inexplicable reason.

Also, the overall build quality is questionable at this point. On mine, the earmuff pieces squeak a bit at the points where they are connected to the headset assembly. Also, the volume sliders feel somewhat cheap and may go bad before long.

Since I had a ton of credit at Gamestop built up, I only spent $20 at the point of purchase, so I’m feeling pretty good about the buy at this point. If I had to shell out a full $100, then I’m not so sure.

Abby Reyes's Avatar

+ Sid Shuman on September 13th, 2011 at 10:13 am said:

Thanks for the review!

+ Jedah_PR on September 12th, 2011 at 8:51 pm said:

I bought the wireless headset and I have to say it ROCKS!!! I can finally play my PS3 at nights, without having to worry about the sound bothering my room mates or neighbors.

+ rr_713 on September 12th, 2011 at 9:00 pm said:

NICE!!! But still the only thing that bothers me is the USB wireless adapter, and I think somebody would disagree with what I’m saying because take a look at the DualShock 3 and PS Move controllers, they’re wireless. Sure you can recharge them with the standard USB cable, and same way with this one (PS3 wireless stereo headset). But still, it’s badass and I might get it for a good price! $99, not too bad.

+ GameBoss01 on September 12th, 2011 at 9:09 pm said:

Well, since Abby’s telling me, I’ll buy it! lol

That looks hot… I mean the headset, of course!

+ D-Squad3 on September 12th, 2011 at 9:12 pm said:

Nine Ninety Nine, **** no.

+ Skater_Ricky on September 12th, 2011 at 9:14 pm said:

@Abby & @Sid I have important question regarding the new PlayStation Wireless Stereo Headset.

In the Post it said Quote: ” the official Wireless Stereo Headset pumps up more than PS3 games – Netflix, Blu-ray movies and more will benefit from the Headset’s crisp audio quality.”

So my real question is Does it actually support Audio while watching Blu-ray Movies? This was never confirmed on the PlayStation Website found here: http://us.playstation.com/ps3/accessories/wireless-stereo-headset-ps3.html

The Website even says Quote: “* Surround sound on the PS3™ requires system software version 3.70 or later. Surround Sound does not work with Blu-ray Disc movies”

So one positive and one negative in both posts.

I really want to experience the new PlayStation Wireless Stereo Headset while watching Blu-ray movies, Playing PS3 Games, Netflix, and PlayStation Network Movies and Game and Movie Trailers

Hope this is true if not PlayStation Make.Believe ;)

PSN: Skater_Ricky

+ xBarritx on September 12th, 2011 at 9:21 pm said:

I was able to buy this for $65 and I couldn’t pass it up. I love it so far. It’s great for gaming at night if you don’t want to wake anyone up!

+ Red_beastin on September 12th, 2011 at 9:48 pm said:

Too bad I don’t have my ps3 anymore. Even though I wanted this headset…

+ Kung_Fu_King on September 12th, 2011 at 9:50 pm said:

what happened to the video ?
there’s a blank area where a video looks like it should be

+ Skater_Ricky on September 12th, 2011 at 9:52 pm said:

@xBarritx where did you buy it at bro?

+ gambit_gamble on September 12th, 2011 at 9:53 pm said:

Just to be clear, so its not Bluetooth capable?

Abby Reyes's Avatar

+ Sid Shuman on September 13th, 2011 at 10:14 am said:

No, it uses the wireless dongle to handle voice chat and wireless audio.

+ spacebrain on September 12th, 2011 at 10:08 pm said:

do you know when the hs will be available in europe? greetings from vienna

+ StrikingWater on September 12th, 2011 at 10:08 pm said:

pitty you can’t run two headsets simultaneously to play online or watch movies!

+ FMS4501 on September 12th, 2011 at 10:10 pm said:

I want these…can you use to listen to movies like netflix?

+ aznSean90 on September 12th, 2011 at 10:34 pm said:

Thanks Abby! I shall pick one up soon! ^_^

+ Miggy11 on September 12th, 2011 at 10:38 pm said:

The usb dongle on this thing interferes with the wifi on the ps3. I am going to buy a usb extender to see if it will fix my problem. Would be a great headset if it didn’t mess up my online play.

+ JEC94 on September 12th, 2011 at 11:00 pm said:

@Sponge-worthy 7.1 virtual Surround sound doesn’t work with DVD movies either

+ JEC94 on September 12th, 2011 at 11:02 pm said:

and I’m glad this use usb cuz my pc doesn’t have Bluetooth so I can use it on my pc too with the usb adapter

+ pitythefool852 on September 12th, 2011 at 11:18 pm said:

@Abby and @PS Blog team

Some people are saying that the headphones work with DVDs/Blurays, and others are saying that they don’t.

I’m guessing that means that games are playing in 7.1 virtual surround, and movies are just playing in stereo. Is that true?

I know $100 is a good price, but if they have Bluray surround then this will be an instabuy for me. Can someone confirm if surround sound works on Bluray, or if it will come soon in a firmware update.

+ pitythefool852 on September 12th, 2011 at 11:23 pm said:

By the way, Abby does probably the best product introductions at Sony outside of our amazing PS Blog team.

I mean, some of the Sony execs and staff can take an amazing piece of hardware and make it sound boring as hell, and others just sound scripted.

She should definitely introduce more hardware in the future… like the PS 3D monitor.

+ pitythefool852 on September 12th, 2011 at 11:29 pm said:

@PS Blog team

OK, time to own up

Whose idea was the hilarious final *ding* after the final PS Blog title card :D

My money’s on Rey (or Abby herself)

Abby Reyes's Avatar

+ Sid Shuman on September 13th, 2011 at 10:14 am said:

Allll Rey :)

+ rkumuras808 on September 13th, 2011 at 1:54 am said:

First and foremost, I’ll agree with everyone, “@Abby you look amazingly beautiful”.

Getting on with the post, I would have bought one on Day 1 and am totally regretting it. So, I will be buying my headset tomorrow even though it may mean overdrafting the account. It looks amazing, sleek and totally cool. Heard lots of good reviews about and it totally makes for a purchase I won’t regret.

Also, definitely agree with Abby doing more introductions to new and upcoming products!

+ Genexi2 on September 13th, 2011 at 3:52 am said:

Wait, this headset allows you to playback game audio via bluetooth?

Is this just supposed to be a one-off thing, or is Sony planning on allowing other bluetooth/USB audio devices/headsets to playback game audio as well?

Abby Reyes's Avatar

+ Sid Shuman on September 13th, 2011 at 10:15 am said:

Not Bluetooth – it uses the wireless USB dongle to send audio and voice chat data.

+ ZOMBIE-PAPA on September 13th, 2011 at 4:23 am said:

when will it be released in the netherlands?? (europe) can’t wait!!

+ MGO_Count on September 13th, 2011 at 4:51 am said:

Is it noise cancelling?

+ cowboynwo4life on September 13th, 2011 at 5:30 am said:

I was wondering will the tv come with a remote control For the TV?

+ fester420 on September 13th, 2011 at 5:41 am said:

Bought mine day one, extremely satisfied with my Sony products.

+ mixedkidbx on September 13th, 2011 at 5:44 am said:

I’ll wait till you guys figure out a way to make that headset work without the USB dongle thing. It’s funny how you guys killed the 4 USB ports but not keep making stuff that need a USB port to work, and we only have 2.

+ mgsnull617 on September 13th, 2011 at 6:44 am said:

Looks like sony is using tech based on the ps2 network….. blu-tooth sucks im glad they are switching it up maybe people will use the head sets for real now like they do in the xbox online

+ Ryusennin on September 13th, 2011 at 7:09 am said:

This headset is a farce, especially at that price point.

It is NOT Blu-ray compatible. Sure you can listen to your movies in crappy stereo, but surround support is disabled in Blu-rays. What’s the point of that expensive piece of turd?

+ DARZERO on September 13th, 2011 at 7:19 am said:

I got mine already, got it with the resistance 3 doomsday edition. I have to say, its fantastic. combine the move control option with the immersive headset sound, truly fantastic. the headset itself is worth every penny. go get it

+ station3fever on September 13th, 2011 at 7:26 am said:

they wont answer so that means all the rumors are true, so with that said i’m not going to buy. Headphones are suppose to work with everything period. I’ll wait for the next 1.

sign: mr sad :(

+ madribar on September 13th, 2011 at 7:28 am said:

Hi Abby! Already got mine trought Ebay. Waiting the USPS delivery. When i got i come here again with some news.

+ gus_xl on September 13th, 2011 at 7:56 am said:

There was a headset in that video?