PS4-The Order

Debut Trailer: Oddworld: Stranger’s Wrath HD for PS3

Stewart Gilray's Avatar + Posted by Stewart Gilray on Sep 15, 2011 // CEO, Just Add Water

Hey everyone! It’s been a while since we visited these hallowed halls to talk about our upcoming PS3 and PS Vita game Oddworld: Stranger’s Wrath HD. If you’ve been following the game’s development closely, you may have caught our announcement that we delayed the release of Stranger’s Wrath HD on the PS3 into the summer from its intended spring release. While summer is almost at an end, we wanted to tell you that the game is in the final part of development right now. We’re in beta and fixing bugs, and doing some last-minute optimizing where we can.

It’s been a long road for us, and we’ve made a whole truck full of updates. We’ve updated EVERY one of 83 characters in the game, the vast majority of the environmental textures, and a lot of the environment geometry. We’ve also completely updated the user interface, added some easter eggs into the game, and a whole raft of unlockable extras — some never seen before, and some rarely seen.

To celebrate being at the end of the development cycle for Stranger’s Wrath, we wanted to share this trailer with you. The trailer looks great but the game looks better: you just can’t capture 60 frames-per-second action in a web trailer!

We hope you enjoy the trailer and we’ll be back very soon to share full release details with you.

PAGE 1 2

+ Spinout209 on September 15th, 2011 at 11:53 am said:

This Oddworld will never be as good as the PS1 versions.

Stewart Gilray's Avatar

+ Stewart Gilray on September 16th, 2011 at 12:45 am said:

Actually, it received a higher MetaCritic score than all the previous Oddworld games.

+ tylerh1701 on September 15th, 2011 at 11:55 am said:

@33 It very easily could be $20. Games like The Heist, Under Seige, RE4 and Code Veronica, and the upcoming Crysis 1 are all $20.

If I had to bet, I’d wager it will be $20. And hopefully will have a 50% PS+ discount like the RE games!

+ Tchanku on September 15th, 2011 at 12:47 pm said:

I know this is a remake of a 6 year old game but…When I think Oddworld…this isn’t what I’m looking for…

+ JEC94 on September 15th, 2011 at 1:33 pm said:

doesn’t look like the PS1 ones!

+ Ping_506 on September 15th, 2011 at 1:55 pm said:

for 20$ i’m in.

Stewart Gilray's Avatar

+ Stewart Gilray on September 16th, 2011 at 12:45 am said:

How about LESS than $20 ;-)

+ SpiritThief on September 15th, 2011 at 2:00 pm said:

WOOOOOOO

So I’m guessing now that we got a taste we can expect to see this drop in the next few months if not earlier I hope. I can’t stand waiting for this.

I loved all the Oddworld games but this one was the one I could never find and by the time I could fine the box was falling apart and I already gave up on it in favor of the PC.

Next time your here I want teaser pics from the next Oddworld HD and for you to shut up and take my money! Give me the strange already!

+ plaztiksyke on September 15th, 2011 at 2:21 pm said:

HOLLLLLY CRAP, THIS LOOKS AMAZING!#%!# My only nitpick is the stones could use some shaders/maps, and the lack of collision/bending in the grass.

Where can we download a high-quality 1080p version of the video? Will it be up on PSN next week??

All the haters in the comments are going to feel really silly when they see how fun and inventive this game is. For us real fans, it’s truly an Oddworld title and was a great change-up in gameplay. I’m glad that didn’t keep churning out the same gameplay, title after title — who actually wants that?

Everyone should remember that while this was an original Xbox game, the amount of work that has gone into this version looks like it was more than the Sly Cooper and Prince of Persia HD Collections *combined*. Dissing such an awesome job just because of fanboy service isn’t cool, IMO.

PS: There’s Move functionality??? More details, please!

+ FE_RR on September 15th, 2011 at 2:51 pm said:

i’m seeing a lot of people that did not known the original game here you have the original review of it: http://www.gamespot.com/xbox/adventure/oddworldtentativetitle/review.html?tag=summary%3Bread-review

+ LilWayneSuckz on September 15th, 2011 at 3:42 pm said:

I will be buying this! I really want it on Vita over the PS3 though, I might buy it for both

+ clupula668 on September 15th, 2011 at 3:44 pm said:

I would like to apologize for some of the stupider comments on this page. I, for one, am very excited that we get to play this.

Stewart Gilray's Avatar

+ Stewart Gilray on September 16th, 2011 at 12:46 am said:

Many thanks, we appreciate it.

+ wolfzero1 on September 15th, 2011 at 3:46 pm said:

I remember playing this on the original xbox, it wasn’t like the first 2 Oddworld games, but it was still a blast to play, the different types of ammo were funny. I was really happy when it was announced that it was coming back & after viewing the video it looks great.

+ xX-_INUYASHA-_Xx on September 15th, 2011 at 3:51 pm said:

cant wait for thiis game 8)

+ Daojones on September 15th, 2011 at 3:55 pm said:

Awesome! This game was loads of fun! No idea why people think this is a new game and they need to calm down a bit and try it out. Really worth the playthrough!

+ AceBeeDee on September 15th, 2011 at 4:06 pm said:

OMG!! OMG!!! OMG!!! all this HD Oddworld goodness is blowing my mind!!! i will play every single last minute of these HD releases, and then some!!! cant think of anything else to say because i am so siked!!!! THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!

+ Sneeches on September 15th, 2011 at 4:48 pm said:

awesome release, day 1 buy for me :)

+ avdavidw on September 15th, 2011 at 5:37 pm said:

Looks great but Gravity Crash VITA is the game I’m really wanting to see from JAWLTD. :)

Stewart Gilray's Avatar

+ Stewart Gilray on September 16th, 2011 at 12:47 am said:

Well, if there is a version of Gravity Crash for VITA, we won’t be making it, sorry.

+ mrhalford on September 15th, 2011 at 5:38 pm said:

I can’t wait to play this. I played the 1st two on the PS1. I almost bought an Xbox just to play the next 2. The only reason I didn’t is my loyalty to Sony. Now I can finally play this and Munch’s Oddysee. I can’t wait for the release.

+ Digital-Big-Boss on September 15th, 2011 at 5:39 pm said:

Stewart, will this game use DRM?

DRM = no buy

As long as there is no DRM, I will buy this game for sure. I loved the game but hated using the Xbox controller.

Stewart Gilray's Avatar

+ Stewart Gilray on September 16th, 2011 at 12:47 am said:

DRM? You mean always on net connection? no, definitely not!

+ FoxMan250 on September 16th, 2011 at 12:32 am said:

FINALLY!!!

My parents only had an NES before one Christmas came along and the family got a PS1. And guess which game came along with it… Oddworld: Abe’s Oddysee. I was too young at the time to be any good at the controls but I would sit for hours and watch my sister. I did however finally get old enough and it still remains one of the best games I’ve ever played. I spent hours and the sequel but was so sad when I heard that you guys went to Xbox…. I am SOOOO excited to 1. Finally get to play, and its a better version, of this game! I also am SOOO excited to hear that you will also redo the abe games in HD AND make a new abe game! I LOVE HIM!! AND i am SOOOO excited to hear that you’re making another series. Never played Munch’s but I’m stoked for Squeek!!!

You guys rock! Do the series justice k!!!

Stewart Gilray's Avatar

+ Stewart Gilray on September 16th, 2011 at 12:48 am said:

I’d like to share something with you, and everyone else here. When we showed the trailer to Lorne Lanning on Tuesday, here’s what he said …

“Just watched. Looking solid. All good. Now I actually want to play it again.”

+ WelmoscaBR on September 16th, 2011 at 10:25 am said:

what?…..wait?….dude this is really oddworld?…..I’m so surprised….dont look like oddworld….I played all oddworld games on PS1 but no matter how I look or how many times I watch this video I cant see a oddworld game just an FPS.

+ Lt_pickel on September 16th, 2011 at 7:02 pm said:

please awnser stewart , there was a post on this blog about how much do you love playstation i cant find it please help me

+ Digital-Big-Boss on September 17th, 2011 at 7:00 am said:

Thanks for the reply, and glad to hear that.

I’ll support you guys and buy this on day 1

+ Digital-Big-Boss on September 17th, 2011 at 7:10 am said:

I can’t believe so many people on here are shocked that this game was an FPS. The game was released 6.5 years ago. Nothing has changed.

It might not play like the rest of the series, but believe me, this is worthy of the name Oddworld.

For the record
Stranger’s Wrath and Metroid Prime are the only FPS games I like.

+ Elvick_ on September 17th, 2011 at 8:52 am said:

What’s with all the haters? This game is amazing and retains the awesome design, and humor that makes Oddworld… Oddworld. :/

People need to get over their hatred of a genre. It didn’t do anything. So shoo.

This game rocks and I can’t wait to buy it for my PSVita. I have little room on my PS3 now, so I’m not sure if I’ll buy it on there. Even though I’d love to pay twice for it to help support this amazing game.

+ rdacs2006 on September 19th, 2011 at 5:19 am said:

I played Oddworld many, many years (decades?) ago.

XBOX came along. I bought Stranger’s Wrath because it had ‘Oddworld’ in it. “Hey, anything with Oddworld can’t be all bad, right?” Stranger’s Wrath became one of my all time favorite games. I could play it with my eyes closed. I beat it. Then I’d play it again.

Along came the 360.

“What? No Stranger’s Wrath?” OK, they have to ‘port’ it. Uh, where is it? I wrote and wrote and wrote to XBOX. I knew many others who also wrote. Something about XBOX and the makers did not go together. There was going to be no porting. Sad time for one and all in Oddworld.

Most every other game I had on the XBOX and wanted to keep was ported for the 360.

I would have gotten rid of the old XBOX but I still want to play Stranger’s Wrath. Now that I keep hearing that PS3 is coming out (sometime… sigh) with Stranger’s Wrath (in HD no less!) I am as antsy as a six year-old at Christmas time (uh, I am so close to 60 it ain’t funny.) I can’t stand it.

Yes, I will have it when it becomes available and they can take it away from me when they pry my cold, dead fingers from the controller.

Bye, XBOX. (360, that is)

Dale

+ MegaBadger24 on September 20th, 2011 at 5:44 am said:

I’ve always wanted to play this game. I hope to see it in stores soon, i’ve been dying to play SW and I never have got to because I did not own an xbox. But I’m glad to know that SW is returning. Just wondering if it will recieve a sequel(not as an xbox360 exclusive).

+ BaronBrain on September 20th, 2011 at 6:48 am said:

Wait, wait, wait… after taking all this time and effort to redo this title and NO retail release? Seriously, WTF?!? I love the Oddworld games and was really looking forward to this, but as it currently stands, here is yet another title I will NEVER buy… specifically BECAUSE it is a PSN -only download title.

Instead, perhaps I should thank you for all the money I’m saving by not buying PSN games. In fact, the way it’s going, I likely won’t be buying the next iteration of consoles, especially if all games are download only. (When this truly becomes the “future of gaming”, I will be happy to spend the rest of my days playing the 15 consoles I currently have.)

When I buy a game, I want to be able to play that game whenever I choose… that especially includes being able to still pla that game 10 or 20 years down the road if I choose to. If I purchase this via PSN now, can you guarantee me that I’ll still be able to redownload it 20 years from now? How about 10 years… or even 5 years? No, you can’t.

[cont. at #78]

+ BaronBrain on September 20th, 2011 at 6:49 am said:

[cont. from #77]

This is why many of us — especially the hardcore gamers and collectors — still desire retail discs. Currently, it’s still the ONLY way in which we are guaranteed that the game we buy today will still be available and working years down the line. Perhaps someday that will change… but that day is still at least a decade away.

While I think it’s great that titles are released via PSN to cater to people who just want a quick download, there are still many gamers who wish a proper retail release for various reasons… be it collectibility, longevity, or whatnot. Look at how well other remastered titles are selling in HD collection via retail discs…

In any event, I hope the company will reconsider this PSN-only policy and release it via retail as well, whether as an individual release or as part of a collection. Hopefully the Vita edition will at least appear at retail…

But if worse comes to worse, at least I still have my original Xbox edition, which is still a great game.

Thank you.

Stewart Gilray's Avatar

+ Stewart Gilray on September 21st, 2011 at 3:05 am said:

Hi,
    I understand your PoV and to a degree I agree with you, however we, and Oddworld are small companies, as such we simply cannot afford, AT THIS TIME, to have disc manufactured on a risk that we may never see a return.

We want to keep making new Oddworld titles, and the cold hard facts are, a $50 retail title, makes less money for a developer than a $12 PSN title.

Which is something we cannot afford.

There is nothing to say we don’t release a compendium set at Retail in the future with multiple titles on a single Blu-Ray disc.

+ dimy93 on September 20th, 2011 at 12:14 pm said:

Do Vita and PS3 have a similar graphics and is this the PS3 version in the trailer?

Stewart Gilray's Avatar

+ Stewart Gilray on September 21st, 2011 at 3:07 am said:

It is the PS3 version in the trailer, however that version did not have MLAA enabled in it, and as you could see from the footage we captured it at 30fps, where the game runs at 60fps.

Stewart Gilray's Avatar

+ Stewart Gilray on September 21st, 2011 at 3:07 am said:

And yes, the graphics in the VITA version are the same as those on the PS3, except there’s no MLAA on the Vita version. :)

+ bigz512 on September 20th, 2011 at 4:42 pm said:

I have never played an Oddworld game before. Should I start with this one? Or play the PS1 games first?

Stewart Gilray's Avatar

+ Stewart Gilray on September 21st, 2011 at 3:08 am said:

Both games are very different. The PS1 titles are pure side on, screen flipping platform puzzle games. Where Stranger’s Wrath is an action adventure game in third and first person.

+ all-4-h8 on September 21st, 2011 at 1:32 pm said:

im pumped, cant wait i love the oddworld games….

+ dimy93 on September 22nd, 2011 at 3:18 am said:

I was looking for good adventure for the Vita – this might be my choice.
When it’s going to released ?Early 2012?

+ Dac2u on September 28th, 2011 at 3:41 am said:

I’m so happy to hear it’s finally coming out and it’s also looking great. This is one of my favorite games of last gen and I can’t wait to play it again. I’m also excited to hear about the next few Oddworld games that are coming out. I’m buying this day one, I may even buy it as a gift for some of my friends that wouldn’t otherwise give it a try.

I’m disappointed that so many people are against this game without even knowing anything about it. Okay, it’s an FPS for the most part, but so what? The gameplay is solid and the story, characters and ammo all fit perfectly into the Oddworld universe and it’s a very enjoyable game from beginning to end. Don’t avoid a game because of the genre.

+ mbrown3 on October 9th, 2011 at 6:09 pm said:

PLEASE give us the release date! So anxious for this game…even a date RANGE would be good. Please!!!

PAGE 1 2