Uncharted 4

Hey Texas: Fantastic Fest PlayStation.Blog Meetup

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar + Posted by Jeff Rubenstein on Sep 19, 2011 // Sr. Social Media Manager

Fantastic Fest

Recently, Dylan Jobe detailed LightBox Interactive’s plans for Fantastic Fest 2011, Austin’s independent sci-fi/horror/fantasy film and gaming festival. He also showed off some badass new Starhawk space footage. You should watch it.

Today, we can reveal the full truth: PlayStation will serve as Fantastic Fest’s exclusive videogame company, and we’ll be holding court at The HighBall Club and Lounge. You’re invited! RSVP here. As Dylan mentioned, the LightBox team will be holding Starhawk tournaments on Thursday, September 22nd starting at 5:00pm. Additionally, you’ll be able to go hands-on with some of our hot upcoming PSN indie games like Journey, Okabu, Closure, and Retro/Grade, PlayStation Move titles like Deadmund’s Quest and Everybody Dance and SOE’s Sideway, Rochard, and Payday: The Heist.

Even better, you’ll have the chance to meet the devs, many of whom you’ve seen here on the Blog. Even Q-Games’ resident artist/DJ Baiyon is making the trip from Kyoto to spin PixelJunk 4am for you. There’ll be prizes and tasty beverages, all for the low, low price of FREE.

You in?

HighBall

The Details

Date: Thursday, September 22nd (RSVP here!)
Time: 5-8pm (capacity is limited, so please arrive a bit early)
Location: The Highball Club and Lounge, 1142 S. Lamar Blvd, Austin, TX (map)

Playable games:

• Journey
  • PixelJunk SideScroller
  • PixelJunk 4am (formerly PixelJunk Lifelike)
  • Okabu
  • Eufloria
  • Papo & Yo
  • Closure
  • Retro/Grade
  • Sideway: New York
  • Payday: The Heist
  • Rochard
  • Starhawk
  • Medieval Moves: Deadmund’s Quest
  • EyePet & Friends
  • Carnival Island
  • LittleBigPlanet 2 PlayStation Move Pack
  • Everybody Dance

You must be 18 or older to attend – please bring your ID! If you’re in the Austin area – I’m talking to you, Dallas/Houston/San Antonio gamers! – please join us. We’d be happy to meet you. Now RSVP here!

UPDATE: We’re also holding two free panels for Fantastic Fest:

PlayStation Network Developer Panel: Game creators speak about working in and out of the gaming industry. Panelists include Queasy Games (Sound Shapes), thatgamecompany (Journey, Flower, Flow), and Q-Games (PixelJunk) to name a few. Click here for more details.

Storytelling and Development in Videogames and Film: Feature film writers and writers of the game Starhawk will discuss storytelling and development in videogames and crossing over with film. Click here for more details.

43 Comments   1 Reply

+ halfkimchi on September 19th, 2011 at 2:01 pm said:

ahh, would be nice if I could come

+ WrekGar on September 19th, 2011 at 2:08 pm said:

Making plans to see how I can pull this 1 off Jeff. Don’t if I can but I most definitely gonna try.

+ lisatsunami on September 19th, 2011 at 2:14 pm said:

Well, it’s nice for TX gamers, but there should be similar opportunities in SoCal, the center of the gaming universe!

+ gold1617 on September 19th, 2011 at 2:17 pm said:

what about NY?

+ infamousXX87XX on September 19th, 2011 at 2:36 pm said:

I could actually make this one. I live in Houston

+ PuppetShoJustice on September 19th, 2011 at 2:41 pm said:

“Upcoming PSN games”

I see Castlevania: Harmony of Despair isn’t on that list.

You’re trying your hardest to disappoint me, Playstation Blog. I know it isn’t an “indie” game; but it’s still painful to see literally no news on the subject.

+ Zezzler on September 19th, 2011 at 2:41 pm said:

Glad to see the PSB meet up events are happening more and more often in so many places! After going to one i can say that i had a blast and I hope everyone else going does too.

+ FunkyTable on September 19th, 2011 at 2:44 pm said:

Houston :(

+ Maverick10 on September 19th, 2011 at 2:45 pm said:

I wish you guys would have released this info a bit earlier. I would have flown out. But a few days isn’t enough time. Sounds great though. Have fun everybody.

+ JLP_M on September 19th, 2011 at 2:52 pm said:

PuppetShoJustice, is that all you do is ask for that game!

:O I see you asking for it all the time!

+ Link01 on September 19th, 2011 at 2:54 pm said:

Would be nice if I lived in Texas. I still wished something happened here in Florida.

+ zekececil14 on September 19th, 2011 at 3:06 pm said:

18? =( You guys should do a non-18 required meet up in Ohio.

May I ask why you must be 18?

+ UltraRazpacho on September 19th, 2011 at 3:35 pm said:

@12

You have to be 18+ to get into The Highball Club.

+ BuchNasty on September 19th, 2011 at 3:39 pm said:

Lmfaorofl omg puppetshow posts on like every blog post about castlevania. Please tell this guy when its coming out!

+ rapture22 on September 19th, 2011 at 3:45 pm said:

We need you in Atlanta…asap.

+ cooldude050 on September 19th, 2011 at 3:52 pm said:

Shame I can’t go to this (I live in Vancouver, Canada :P), but it’s really awesome that you’re taking the time to connect with fans!

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar

+ Harvard Bonin on September 19th, 2011 at 3:57 pm said:

We’re looking forward to showing off Starhawk. A bunch of the team will be at this event so be ready with your questions!

+ marlyt on September 19th, 2011 at 4:20 pm said:

@ Losatsunami–You’re kidding, right? Like there’s not enough tech/trade shows in So-Cal. Everytime they announce one of these it’s in SoCal, so it seems. I’d be camped out for E3 2012 right now if geography permitted. LOL (but seriously I would)

@ 14

I know, right? I even combed the digital galaxy so I could send dude an answer and found NOTHING. I feel for this young man. I know how he feels. Anybody wanna chip in and buy PuppetShoJustice a copy of Castlevania:HOD when it comes out? I’m in. Xcrap has had it for over a year now.

+ marlyt on September 19th, 2011 at 4:21 pm said:

Sorry Losa, I meant Lisa.

+ YungShep on September 19th, 2011 at 4:51 pm said:

OMGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG…I MIGHT HAVE TO WORK SMH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THE LAST BLOG MEET UP IN AUSTIN WAS EPIC.. THE CHICKEN TENDERS WERE THE BOMB.COM!

+ Ghost-of-SpartaX on September 19th, 2011 at 4:55 pm said:

I’ll be there!!! I felt like I’m the only Playstation fan who lives in Austin, I’m calling in from work for this one.I hope to meet the dev team and real talk gaming.

+ Ghost-of-SpartaX on September 19th, 2011 at 4:59 pm said:

Yep shep!!! ps blog meet up’s have the best food!!! Beyond!!! Jeff

+ ajayghosal on September 19th, 2011 at 5:41 pm said:

will you be there jeff ??

+ Ghost-of-SpartaX on September 19th, 2011 at 5:48 pm said:

I think Jeff will be their he said he loved Austin

+ ne_plus_ultra on September 19th, 2011 at 5:53 pm said:

@21 Definitely not the only Playstation fan in Austin. I’d totally be there if it wasn’t for work.

+ guitarded77 on September 19th, 2011 at 5:58 pm said:

DANG!!!! DANG!!!! DANG!!!! DANG!!!! DANG!!!! I’ll be taking a calculus test in San Marcos at 5pm… I know space is limited, but can I show late and still get in?? 7PMish??? I love you (creepy voice)…

+ Blkant on September 19th, 2011 at 6:20 pm said:

Could you ever consider Florida again…? It’s is a bit too quiet down here you know…

+ Tridrakious on September 19th, 2011 at 7:45 pm said:

I would love to see something like this for Oklahoma gamers. Either in Oklahoma City or even in Tulsa (I live in the Tulsa metro area and there are countless raging hardcore gamers in my state as well).

+ Massive_13 on September 19th, 2011 at 8:58 pm said:

Man…. Austin again? Why don’t you guys never come to Dallas. Home of the Dallas Cowboys!!

+ Viggorrah on September 19th, 2011 at 9:28 pm said:

I live in San Antonio and I would definitely come, but I have school…damn college, taking up my time. D:

+ smintja on September 19th, 2011 at 11:28 pm said:

I’m in Dallas. Definitely thinking about going. Do I need to have a ticket to Fantastic Fest? Also, yes. PLEASE come to Dallas. Quakecon maybe. ANYTHING.

+ zachmo417 on September 20th, 2011 at 1:56 am said:

this is 1 mile from my house, i shall be there!

+ CrusherX on September 20th, 2011 at 4:05 am said:

Any chance for a slight detour to New Zealand? ;)

+ homeboy79 on September 20th, 2011 at 7:43 am said:

SOB!! :D You have to have this meet-up when I’m out of town on business, eh? Would totally make the drive from New Orleans if I were home! Maybe next time! :)

+ lilmoosemoose on September 20th, 2011 at 8:44 am said:

OMG yes this is awesome I dont care if I have to start walking to Austin from here in S.A. I must go to this event! DJ Baiyon is coming from Kyoto to spin on PixelJunk 4am really??? This is EPIC and also very much appreciated since alot of people dont like coming to a place where the weather is over 100 degrees for like 50 days in a row (bands for concerts, pro skate teams for demos,etc.).Huge fan of Q-Games and thatgamecompany they have made some of my favorite PSN games. Journey and PixelJunk SideScroller look amazing looking forward to trying them out and also everything else! Thanks again.

+ Rhino136 on September 20th, 2011 at 10:35 am said:

Man it had to be the same day as my stats exam!!!! And I just had to take night classes this semester. I hate my luck

+ Bluejays20012 on September 20th, 2011 at 7:30 pm said:

Canada :(

+ mgsnull617 on September 21st, 2011 at 6:41 am said:

damn heist is tommrow and I have no internet at home……….Ive been looking forward 2 it what crap luck i have

+ mgsnull617 on September 21st, 2011 at 6:43 am said:

Come to Boston theses alot of gamers here

+ Shotgun6343 on September 21st, 2011 at 7:30 am said:

Hey @Playstation
Do I need to RSVP? Cause I dont got a facebook. Yes i know what am i living under a rock XD

+ ryanDm129 on September 21st, 2011 at 3:28 pm said:

live in texas but in not 18 >:|

+ gamepro300 on September 21st, 2011 at 6:54 pm said:

I assume news and videos of some of the games will be hitting the blog?

+ Psicocrusher on September 22nd, 2011 at 4:40 pm said:

I want Journey in my PS3 ASAP!