LittleBigPlanet 3

Battlefield 3 Expansions to Hit PS3 First, Open Beta on PSN 9/29

Tommy Rydling's Avatar + Posted by Tommy Rydling on Sep 22, 2011 // Senior Community Manager, DICE

This is Tommy Rydling from DICE, and I’ve got two exciting pieces of news to share with PlayStation.Blog readers. First, we are very happy to announce the dates for the eagerly awaited Battlefield 3 Open Beta on PSN. The Beta is open to all and will run from September 29th to October 10th. You can join it by simply going to the going the PlayStation Store and navigating to the “View All By Title” section, then selecting Battlefield 3 – within there you’ll see the download for the Battlefield 3 demo!

Battlefield 3 for PS3

Prepare for battle in the bombed-out metro tunnels on the outskirts of Paris in the upcoming Battlefield 3 Open Beta!

Alternatively, if you have redeemed a Medal of Honor: Limited Edition or Tier 1 Edition Online Pass, you will receive early access via a personal email invitation from DICE that includes 48-hour early access, which will allow you to start playing on September 27th.

The Open Beta is your chance to play Battlefield 3 early, try out our free social platform Battlelog, and give your valued feedback directly to those of us at DICE. You participating in the Battlefield 3 Open Beta means that you are not only helping us load test the servers, but more importantly, helping us fine-tune the final components of the multiplayer game.

During your time in the Open Beta, you’ll be playing on the map Operation Métro – a map you might have seen coverage of from E3, where we won the Best Multiplayer Game award.

Battlefield 3 for PS3

But that’s not all for our PlayStation fans! You’ll be happy to know that beginning with our first expansion pack Battlefield 3: Back to Karkand (to be released later this year), all full-blown upcoming expansion packs for the game will appear one week early exclusively on PS3, brought to you by Sony!

As you may or may not have heard, Battlefield 3: Back to Karkand is a themed expansion pack containing four of the most loved maps from Battlefield 2, boldly reimagined in the Frostbite 2 engine. It also features new weapons and vehicles, unique in-game dog tags, new persistence, as well as new Trophies.

Make sure to stay tuned for more on the PS3 version of Battlefield 3 and all things related. And do let us know what you think of the Beta once it’s up and running. For more stories on Battlefield 3, feel free to check out the official Battlefield blog where I post from behind the scenes under the name “H Brun”.

I also wanted to say thank you for your continued support for DICE and Battlefield 3. Meeting our fans in person is always very rewarding and exciting. We went to gamescom with the PS3 co-op mission Exfiltration, and at Tokyo Game Show we let visitors play the single player mission Operation Guillotine. The response so far has been overwhelming, and we look forward to showing you more action from Battlefield 3 before the North American launch on October 25th.

+ TensaXZangetsu2 on September 22nd, 2011 at 10:47 am said:

Can someone please, please, tell me that if you change your email on your psn account will the exclusive dice email for the beta be sent to the recent e-mail or the previous one.

+ station3fever on September 22nd, 2011 at 10:48 am said:

I hope us PLUS people get to start on the 27th?

+ ccanfield1 on September 22nd, 2011 at 10:50 am said:

I would also love to see Move support added to this game.

+ painjf1_24 on September 22nd, 2011 at 10:50 am said:

niceee, I love this news because BF3 is much better than MW3, more reasons to buy BF3, cant wait to the open beta it will be awesome

+ ccanfield1 on September 22nd, 2011 at 10:53 am said:

Excited to play for myself. Looking forward to seeing if the console version looks as beautiful as the E3 gameplay footage looked running on a PC.

+ benzadrine on September 22nd, 2011 at 11:28 am said:

Awesome! Pre-ordered BF3 and ditched MW3. I’ve got Left4Dead and CS:S mods if I want to kill zombies, which was the only original thing MW3 had going for it..

+ ExCLUSiiV3_26 on September 22nd, 2011 at 11:35 am said:

omg!!! omg!!! so siiiick LOL >,,<

+ Lugoves on September 22nd, 2011 at 11:44 am said:

Already Pre Ordered. Two copies of BF3 for this household, and 0 copies of CODMW3 pre ordered as of yet … We’ll see how long BF3 keeps us occupied … lol

+ utopianacht on September 22nd, 2011 at 12:09 pm said:

that’s a nice move from EA, DICE & Sony… I just wonder if the hardened edition of MW3 will have DLC releases at the same time since we will be paying in advance.. if not that would be totally unfair for PS3 fans.. anyway… BF3 will consume most of my time.. that’s for sure!!!

+ TheGuardianFID on September 22nd, 2011 at 12:10 pm said:

SWEEEEEEET, pre-oredered FTW!!! 8)

+ devilmosh on September 22nd, 2011 at 12:11 pm said:

I’m all over this! Got release date pre-order in, too!

+ WelmoscaBR on September 22nd, 2011 at 12:25 pm said:

I appreciate thanks….but what I really want to know is: How much will take from HDD to download?

+ GeneralChaz9 on September 22nd, 2011 at 12:42 pm said:

Did EA really make the DLC exclusive for a week? -_- Come on, does anyone have respect anymore? Will be playing the beta, but EA’s craptalk has turned me off.

+ shadysaiyanz on September 22nd, 2011 at 12:45 pm said:

Thanks :D

+ PoInTyNiPs on September 22nd, 2011 at 12:51 pm said:

EDIT PLEASE

+ NineToez on September 22nd, 2011 at 12:56 pm said:

Please, please, please give us PS+ subscribers 48 hour early access to beta! Better believe I’ll be uploading footage to YouTube! (same username)

+ D-Squad3 on September 22nd, 2011 at 12:56 pm said:

Doesn’t this already come with the game for free if you pre-order it?

Tommy Rydling's Avatar

+ Tommy Rydling on September 23rd, 2011 at 5:13 am said:

NinToez:
    If you mean it comes at no extra charge, yes. However, the upcoming expansion pack BAttlefield 3: Back to KArkand is not on the disc, and is not available day 1. We have not set a release date for this yet. Whatever the release date will be, PS3 owners will be ablde to download/buy and play one week early. Hope that makes sense.

+ soldiercell on September 22nd, 2011 at 12:59 pm said:

Battlefield Sucks

+ Kedaro on September 22nd, 2011 at 1:18 pm said:

So first Sony gives out free games to us faithfuls to make up for something that was done to them by hackers.
Then second they announce DC Universe Online is going free to download & play.
Then I’m guessing they foot a bill for something, or made EA and Dice and offer to ensure that their gamers get exclusive early access to expansions for the single most earth-shattering military franchise on the planet…
And then the announcement of Ruin and all it’s cross-system functionality…

and that’s just a few examples on the surface…

… Anyone not owning a ps3, very sore bum-cheeks atm.

+ Kchow23 on September 22nd, 2011 at 1:26 pm said:

Awesome, though only a week early for DLC and 2 days earlier to play the beta… would’ve been great if they were both a month early! How long will the beta run for?

+ KILLSON13 on September 22nd, 2011 at 1:34 pm said:

I <3 your EA and Sony!

+ erivera_1994 on September 22nd, 2011 at 1:47 pm said:

Sony! Make a deal with DICE to get all the DLC a month earlier on PS3 than any other console!

+ HeavyD-Love on September 22nd, 2011 at 1:49 pm said:

Wow this is awesome good news!!!!! SUPER stoked

+ Joe_1234 on September 22nd, 2011 at 1:50 pm said:

at least make the beta last for 3 weeks rather than 10 days

+ TuttiCicero on September 22nd, 2011 at 1:55 pm said:

My pants.. they just.. shrunk.. in the crotch area..

+ starscreamers-19 on September 22nd, 2011 at 1:56 pm said:

Hey my uncle pre-ordered from europe and I live in america, will the BF3 ea online pass code work on my american PSN account.

+ cullen456 on September 22nd, 2011 at 2:08 pm said:

cant wait to play the coop campaign

+ Baron_Von_Bonbon on September 22nd, 2011 at 2:19 pm said:

HAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

+ jimboiscool1 on September 22nd, 2011 at 2:25 pm said:

never played battlefield:O but nice!!

+ TensaXZangetsu2 on September 22nd, 2011 at 2:25 pm said:

Can someone please, please, tell me that if you change your email on your psn account will the exclusive dice email for the beta be sent to the recent e-mail or the last one.

+ xXDoggyHDXx on September 22nd, 2011 at 2:46 pm said:

Seriously can’t wait for this game!..Thanks for the early DLC ^_^..And looking forward to trying out the Beta and ai will give some feedback on it no problem :D..Can’t wait to be deployed into Battlefield…Something tells me this games online will be epic

(Long, Live, Play!)

+ C_Furkan on September 22nd, 2011 at 2:46 pm said:

PS3 FTW!

+ Bolduk on September 22nd, 2011 at 2:55 pm said:

Thanks DICE / EA / SONY !! Activision can go _ _ _ _ a _ _ _ _ for all I care, Battlefield 3 is the real deal!

+ Justp94 on September 22nd, 2011 at 3:00 pm said:

R.I.P. Call of Duty

+ drkane01 on September 22nd, 2011 at 3:22 pm said:

Finally some recognition on the better console lol hope to see so more exclusivity between Sony ea and dice . Because obviously cod favors xbox EA and Dice favor PS3

+ KILLZONE79 on September 22nd, 2011 at 3:49 pm said:

I made this beta announcement into a video on my youtube channel
search 054519 on youtube, thats my channel

+ smokinjoe_79 on September 22nd, 2011 at 4:04 pm said:

Can’t wait to try beta. It might help me choose witch of the two big ones i get.

+ shellsniper1000 on September 22nd, 2011 at 4:25 pm said:

NICE

+ JEC94 on September 22nd, 2011 at 4:26 pm said:

we should get the dlc one month earlier! just like COD do with crapbox!

+ arcticjim on September 22nd, 2011 at 4:58 pm said:

What is with everybody and online mp? Can’t we just sit down play some split-screen or singleplayer like in the old times? I want a game with multiplayer that requires NO internet

+ blackghost826 on September 22nd, 2011 at 5:06 pm said:

Will this be rated M like the 2nd game or T like the first?

+ that-acmilan-guy on September 22nd, 2011 at 5:30 pm said:

Why PC screenshots? Please give us a direct footage of the PS3 version.

+ leo9891 on September 22nd, 2011 at 5:32 pm said:

BF3 needs to be like XBOX360’s Call of Duty for the PS3.

EA & Dice need to jump on the PS3’s power!

+ GTP480 on September 22nd, 2011 at 5:38 pm said:

I am really excited about Battlefield 3, but the Back to Karkand expansion pack ships with the Hardened edition of Battlefield 3. So I don’t really see how this is much of a bonus to PS3 seeing as XBOX users will get the map pack as a preorder bonus…Plus one week in advance is laughable…COD DLC content is exclusive to XBLA one month in advance of PS3.
Its a start at least. More PS3 exclusives on the horizon- I predict :)

+ E-Phoenix- on September 22nd, 2011 at 6:07 pm said:

Sweet, better than getting those crappy overpriced cod map packs.

+ dirtyd89 on September 22nd, 2011 at 6:17 pm said:

Cool.
I have Battlefield 3: Limited Edition pre ordered on PS3.
Got an EA Origin Account ready when I eventually get Battlefield 3 on PC when my rig is finished being built.

+ Astronica on September 22nd, 2011 at 6:42 pm said:

YES!!! NOT gonna buy cod thanks to you guys!!!

+ MoneyMaker110 on September 22nd, 2011 at 6:57 pm said:

wow, a whole week. amd 2 days early beta?

+ thundercat17 on September 22nd, 2011 at 7:49 pm said:

i love you EA

+ footballrule on September 22nd, 2011 at 8:18 pm said:

Take that Activision! Thanks EA and DICE! Finally PS3 gets DLC first! I have BF3 fully paid for and reserved. Bring on the Beta!