Driveclub

Video Unlimited Preview Coming to PlayStation 3

Mike Aragon's Avatar + Posted by Mike Aragon on Sep 27, 2011 // Vice President, Sony Network Entertainment

Video Unlimited PS3-BraviaTV

Starting today, finding the right movie or TV show on the PlayStation Network is easier and more fun than ever before.

We’re unveiling a whole new way to explore the library of more than 40,000 movies and TV episodes… discover everything from the latest blockbusters and popular sitcoms, to old classics and the next big TV series – it’s simple, fun, and intuitive.

Our new “Video Unlimited – preview” application, which can be downloaded later today if you’re a PlayStation Plus subscriber, makes it easier and more visual to browse, discover, and search for movies and TV shows from your favorite actors, directors, and genres. While mirroring content found on the existing video section of the PlayStation Store, the new preview application gives you a fresh experience by providing endless related search results via a whole new way to find content. Check out the video to see how this all works and why we’re so excited about it.

PlayStation Plus subscribers can download the “Video Unlimited – preview” later today. It’s easy, just head toward the Media section in the PlayStation Store, find and download the “Video Unlimited – preview” application. After exiting the PlayStation Store, select the Video icon of the XMB (XrossMediaBar) and you will see the Video Unlimited preview icon. Select “Video Unlimited – preview” and discover a completely new way to access and discover movies and TV shows on your PS3. For those who aren’t PlayStation Plus subscribers, the application will be available to all in just a few weeks.

We promise this is going to be a great user experience that will change the way you enjoy video content on your PS3!

For more details, please visit www.VUPreview.com.

PAGE 1 2 3 4

+ CaribbeanCLANK on September 27th, 2011 at 5:06 am said:

Living in the Caribbean really stinks sometimes. It is a shame we can’t access the Video section of the PSN Store. I guess even paradise has it’s disadvantages.

+ bball230 on September 27th, 2011 at 5:07 am said:

Cross game chat Please

+ Stoffinator on September 27th, 2011 at 5:09 am said:

Let me guess, this is only for US residents right?

Mike Aragon's Avatar

+ Chris Lastrapes on September 27th, 2011 at 10:42 am said:

This new interface will initially be available in both the US and Canada

+ PullusPardusUS on September 27th, 2011 at 5:09 am said:

i have this on my phone , thought i can’t use it, why can’t you guys make a “global” store, like for every country that isn’t “Supported”

+ ModernYorkster on September 27th, 2011 at 5:10 am said:

Will this eventually replace the PlayStation Store section all together? If so, that’s a good call.

+ xxThe_Fuhrer-xx on September 27th, 2011 at 5:16 am said:

How much will this service cost? It would be amazing if it were to be free to everyone.

+ OerbaDiaVanil on September 27th, 2011 at 5:25 am said:

Looking forward to exploring it, but I get the feeling Sony’s trying to improve its service just a little and a little too late has Xbox is bringing out its own version with voice control and much pomp and circumstance. And has for bball230’s comment about cross game chat its impossible sorry, its how the ps3 handles its RAM to much is allocated to the game even if they not need it all, once there its impossible to get back.

+ Bacardirum4203 on September 27th, 2011 at 5:32 am said:

Being able to search, via actors, directors, & genres! That’s what I’ve always wanted from Netflix… One question though: How much is the Full Program going to cost? If you don’t mind me asking Mike. Thanks for the free preview for PS+ Subscribers…. I love Playstation+ so much now that I have it!

+ DaveTheStalker on September 27th, 2011 at 5:34 am said:

Please post your videos in HTML5 so they are iOS compatible. They used to be.

+ Berae on September 27th, 2011 at 5:38 am said:

@1 CaribbeanCLANK

lolll I would prefer living there.

+ DDark on September 27th, 2011 at 5:45 am said:

Looks really cool, good job guys!

+ steadydecline on September 27th, 2011 at 5:53 am said:

I hope the xmb gets a full redesign one day.

+ Myke-Myke on September 27th, 2011 at 5:59 am said:

Finally we have Video Unlimited on PS3!

Thanks Sony!

+ nikrel on September 27th, 2011 at 6:02 am said:

This looks like it has all the features people would want. The issue with it is, is it worth a fee if there is one? I would hope this app is free, currently I do not see myself paying for an app when I could use the store that is a bit more clunky for free.

Mike Aragon's Avatar

+ Adam Neuman on September 27th, 2011 at 9:49 am said:

The app will be free to download.

+ morris1129 on September 27th, 2011 at 6:04 am said:

Why does someone have to ask about cross game chat on every blog post?? If their was a post about the world coming to an end someone would post” What about cross game chat!!”

+ Enigma777 on September 27th, 2011 at 6:05 am said:

Meh, I’ll stick with Vudu for the cheaper prices. I’d love an Amazon Instant Video app though!

+ oROMEo on September 27th, 2011 at 6:07 am said:

Is there anyword when the Early Access Beta for BF3 will hit the store out here in San Diego?

+ remanutd5 on September 27th, 2011 at 6:11 am said:

playstation plus subscribers should get a new release free once a month at least !!!

+ remanutd5 on September 27th, 2011 at 6:12 am said:

oh it does look great !!!!!! will playstation vita be able to play HD movies ?

+ AizawaYuuichi on September 27th, 2011 at 6:13 am said:

This could be interesting. Save time not having to get into the store first. Just search what you want from the XMB, then go directly to it. I like this. Will definitely be trying out the preview when it releases. There should be a new Young Justice episode up as well, so I’ll test it on that.

+ SPOOKULA209 on September 27th, 2011 at 6:13 am said:

Video Unlimited seems like it is a streaming rental service similar to Netflix, is this true or do you still have to pay for each individual item?

+ Shinmigami on September 27th, 2011 at 6:28 am said:

@20. No, it is not a netflix program. it is just another interface. From the video he said that you can still rent and buy movies from the application.

Secondly, can you please make something like this for the game store? That would be way easier to look and find stuff.

+ Badmamajamma on September 27th, 2011 at 6:30 am said:

We got Hulu, Nexflix, PS Store videos, MLBtv, NFL ticket, Why not just supply us with a iTV service with a monthly bill or price where we can watch unlimited programs and videos. Kinda like Netflix but with partnerships with networks giving us live TV too just like cable.

+ Terard on September 27th, 2011 at 6:31 am said:

Why is my early access to BF3 Beta not in the store yet???
Others are playing it…I followed all the instructions…..Grrr!!!!

+ Badmamajamma on September 27th, 2011 at 6:31 am said:

@21 I hope they do that.

+ crusher915 on September 27th, 2011 at 6:33 am said:

Any chance of a Media Go Redesign with a inbuilt web-browser set to Music Unlimited? (Just like steam)

+ tonydamiani on September 27th, 2011 at 6:34 am said:

NICEEEEEEEEE and I agree @21 whit a re-desing to the Game Store :P

+ ChaseHammerJ on September 27th, 2011 at 6:38 am said:

um. no thanks.

I will NEVER buying your overpriced digital videos when I can buy the hard copy in the stores for cheaper.

+ colstripcapn on September 27th, 2011 at 6:44 am said:

I’m confused, is this just a new PSN Store interface for videos? Or is it a new service?

I wish the PSN Store interface was that responsive =/ Whenever I access the store it feels like I’m on 3G with how long each page takes to load. I haven’t figured out if that’s just the way it is or what. I can consistently download game patches and use steam at 1.5-2 MB/s so I’m fairly certain my internet connection is decent.

Improvements are good, I hope it’s faster than the current interface.

+ ODINGameslayer on September 27th, 2011 at 6:48 am said:

Ok, so they rearranged the store shelevs a bit. This is major?

+ EggySong85 on September 27th, 2011 at 6:50 am said:

Does this work in Japan? My American account is my default, and I wire money to my US account to pay for online services, but Hulu and Netflix are blocked over here so I never subscribed. Will video unlimited be the same?

+ ItsNymo on September 27th, 2011 at 6:51 am said:

Looks good! Much better than browsing on the PlayStation Store application. Though, I have a feeling that loading up the Video Unlimited app might take a bit longer than going on the PS Store, but that’s kinda minor. (as long as it doesn’t take forever like some services)

PS: Community rocks!

+ rosfre on September 27th, 2011 at 6:55 am said:

VALID IN CANADA ?

Mike Aragon's Avatar

+ Adam Neuman on September 27th, 2011 at 9:20 am said:

Yes. The application will be available in Canada.

+ Alyyse on September 27th, 2011 at 7:06 am said:

cool

+ Wipeoutt31 on September 27th, 2011 at 7:07 am said:

Excellent job Sony. But why to this day does the Netflix UI have to be so fugly!?!

+ CrAzYDaVe0209 on September 27th, 2011 at 7:10 am said:

How much is it a month? I have Netflix should I change my mind?

+ ICEIAN618 on September 27th, 2011 at 7:11 am said:

Hey eric the last major firmware update for the ps3 was 2009 3.0… when can we expect 4.0 to drop and i like the ui for music unlimited… will you guys change the xmb to look similar..

+ MarkakaJin on September 27th, 2011 at 7:13 am said:

Pretty cool. I’ll check out that app for sure.

+ gamersint on September 27th, 2011 at 7:15 am said:

Great, I will give it a try l8tr, how about a search and sort function for our download list in the store.

+ TwinDad on September 27th, 2011 at 7:18 am said:

Horrible name for a Video Store. I was thinking ti was going to be a movie rental streaming service.

The there is a apache server error on the URL you posted.

+ etur0 on September 27th, 2011 at 7:22 am said:

@bball230 that is never coming to the ps3 they have said the way that the ps3 is set up it can’t have cross game chat but don’t worry the vita will have it

anyways this is great new just need to know how much it is going to cost and also it sucks the my ps3 broke couple of months ago but finally I just got a job so I can buy a new one once I get the money

+ TomHoang on September 27th, 2011 at 7:24 am said:

This looks pretty cool. It’s a lot like the VUDU app. But I’m confused, is it replacing the PSN video store completely?

+ etur0 on September 27th, 2011 at 7:25 am said:

oh nvm I know what it is now it pretty much replace the video store on the ps store

+ Xer0Signal on September 27th, 2011 at 7:25 am said:

I’m looking forward to checking this out. The interface is great.

+ Bluejays20012 on September 27th, 2011 at 7:27 am said:

never coming to canada :(

+ station3fever on September 27th, 2011 at 7:27 am said:

@ bball230
The PS3 CANNOT DO CROSS CHAT!!!!

This looks really nice. Do you think you guys/gals can do something like that for the games section? Maybe?

thanks people :)

+ adolson on September 27th, 2011 at 7:46 am said:

Eric, you said you’re going to “go ahead and rent Thor” but there’s no option to rent it in the video! :P

I’d like to see this same interface for buying games…

And yes everyone, this is available in Canada.

+ xCh0z3n-0n3x on September 27th, 2011 at 7:55 am said:

That would be a REALLY good design for the entire PS3.

+ mcbuttz78 on September 27th, 2011 at 8:15 am said:

We have request for sony. . I think every one would agree. please put this app in ps home so gamers can watch movies with friends. I think it can be done also if there was fee like 3$ or5a mth$ would be good that would help cost to do the building/fixing and everything. We understand these thing cost time and money . that why we said subcribtion app. it can be like netflix with so many movies to choose from and some you can buy.

Those gamers could show those movies or watch them with friend in ps home or Folks with the app can watch movies in ps home theatre all day(ps home staff choice) and run movies all day those who have sub app fee get in free. those who dont can pay like 1.25, and once a have free movie. We think it highly possible and think sony has the challenges to raise the bar of the brand.. Thank you for listening.

mcbuttz78
vp-psn legionairee group

+ mcbuttz78 on September 27th, 2011 at 8:19 am said:

typo errors. I mean t gamer who pay 1.25 get in watch movies all day, but for 24hr period. and the staff can run a free movie once a week so every one can be apart of this or gain trust in it..

PAGE 1 2 3 4