Far Cry 4

Welcome to the Battlefield 3 Open Beta, Now Available on PSN

Tommy Rydling's Avatar + Posted by Tommy Rydling on Sep 29, 2011 // Senior Community Manager, DICE

Starting now, we are happy to invite all PS3 players to the much anticipated Battlefield 3 Open Beta! Played on the Operation Metro map in Rush mode that won us Best Action Game and Best Multiplayer Game at E3, this is your chance to experience one of many flavors of Battlefield 3.

Battlefield 3 for PS3

We would like to take this opportunity to thank all of you for your great interest in this Open Beta. By joining, you will help us stress test servers, allow us to run important tests on the game’s back-end and Battlelog. Remember that this software is in Beta and does not represent the game’s final quality — you’ll have to wait for October 25th for that! For a full FAQ on the Open Beta, head here.

Please leave any feedback to us at DICE via the forums in the social platform Battlelog. Make sure to also head to our free social platform Battlelog to check your in-depth stats progression, start your own Platoon, and see how your friends are doing in the news feed. To get you started on the Operation Metro map, here are some playing tips straight from us at DICE. You can also study the PS3 control scheme in the image below. Enjoy, and let us know what you think!

Battlefield 3 for PS3 controls

DICE’s Top 10 Battlefield Tips for Operation Metro

1. Stick to your teammates, and remember to spawn on them to stay close to the fight.
  2. Use your kit specific abilities to help your team mates. Assault can hand out med kits, Engineers can repair vehicles, and Support can hand out ammo.
  3. When you arm an M-COM station, defend it to ensure it’s destroyed.
  4. The bombed-out tunnel section in Operation Metro is an excellent place to use a flashlight as one of your weapon attachments. Use it to light the tunnels up – and to blind your enemies!
  5. Attach bipods to your weapon and deploy it automatically by pushing up against cover or laying prone and zooming in – this gives you a huge increase in accuracy and stability.
  6. Use suppressive fire (shoot close to enemies behind cover) to negatively impact the enemy’s fighting capabilities.
  7. Watch out for falling debris — it can hurt you! But you can also hurt your enemies by taking out buildings with the Engineer’s RPG.
  8. Shotguns are excellent for CQC (Close Quarters Combat) in the tighter tunnels sections.
  9. Fire automatic weapons in short bursts for accuracy, or switch to single-fire mode if applicable.
  10. To grab your enemy’s dog tag as a souvenir, perform a stealth knife kill from behind.

+ ima_crash_u on September 29th, 2011 at 1:02 pm said:

kool itz only 1 gb or else i wouldn’t of downloaded it this isen’t like uncharted or anythin i ONLY play boss games like fifa an uncharted but anyways!!!!!!

+ QuantumMercury on September 29th, 2011 at 1:05 pm said:

Thank you for this.

+ jamesbracely on September 29th, 2011 at 1:06 pm said:

NOW ITS TIME TO SHOW COD FANS WHAT THEY BEEN MISSING, I LOVED CALL OF DUTY UNTIL I PLAYED BATTLEFIELD AND ITS BEATING COD HANDS DOWN. 10 TIMES BETTER THAN BLACK OPS

+ cap10mark on September 29th, 2011 at 1:09 pm said:

@D-Squad3…Give them a chance. This beta just went open and the stress on the servers has to be immense. They may add more once things settle down and it can be just a “streamline” kind of play…most everyone on board and kinks getting ironed out.

+ TC4SPAZINOUT on September 29th, 2011 at 1:11 pm said:

why why why why why why is this a team base game when you cant get your squad in the same room this happened on bf2 you think you would of learned from old mistake.. the games great but playing and talking to friends is the part and its missing ….crazy mic chirping too whats up with that and will it be fixed during beta

+ XxBoR1CuAxX on September 29th, 2011 at 1:12 pm said:

Please give us a map with some vehicles , love it so far :)

+ ducoalexandreusa on September 29th, 2011 at 1:15 pm said:

WoW

Ty so much, big fan here, first time i’ll be playing battlefield on consoles =)

+ janamala on September 29th, 2011 at 1:17 pm said:

I love BC2 and I’m sure I’ll love this one too. Thank you DICE, thank you Tommy for the best game of the year…I’ve already preordered it and now downloading Beta…;D

+ illegalseed420 on September 29th, 2011 at 1:19 pm said:

Am i the only one that gets a headache from all the recoil in this game? I mean, I cant even tap the trigger without it going 3 feet off my target. I now realize why everybody hides in a bush with a sniper.

+ stegz17 on September 29th, 2011 at 1:20 pm said:

What’s the highest level in the beta? I’m currently at 13 and wondering how many I need to go to reach that special point. :D

+ NATURALGUY on September 29th, 2011 at 1:24 pm said:

how long will the beta be?

+ Rorek_IronBlood on September 29th, 2011 at 1:24 pm said:

The game is an honest wreck. I was not impressed with either console or rig (PC.) Too much bloom, and the amount of foilage is just insane. I won’t even begin on the camping, but there is no, team play in this game. Infact I saw none of that and I doubt anyone even really realized there is an “objective” in rush since both teams just camp (till that “one” player decides that there is an objective.) The controls are just clunky and as for the objective based gameplay? Well, I’ll just put it bluntly and say that MAG is an all around better game over this. Beta or otherwise. I’d rather go, play SOCOM: Confrontation even (atleast there is more team support there.) Not sure what is superior about this game.
I find it funny that people call this competition to Call of Duty. If anything I suspect that this beta will hurt sales more then promote them. Just too much chaos and not enough order. For such a “realistic” (haha see the joke?) game there really is no chain-of-command or order to the battlefield.

+ PoInTyNiPs on September 29th, 2011 at 1:25 pm said:

hey guys you forgot r3 is to hold breath. this beta is filled with bugs and glitches but overall i am having fun thank god i got it two days early but it sucks that i have to play with new comers. time to teach you a lesson.

+ shuTumDown on September 29th, 2011 at 1:25 pm said:

I’m sorry I just do not like this one.
I own almost ever BF game there is on pc xbox and ps3 to me BBC2 was spot on,
This one just seems way Diff Don’t really care for this new engine. Things look blurry and the flash light MY O MY that thing got on my nerves. BBC2 was great from the Beta this one not so much. But I’m sure there will be thousands who luv it, Just not my cup of tea.

+ play4free2 on September 29th, 2011 at 1:32 pm said:

too beautiful im so impatient about the real lunch

+ MalzX on September 29th, 2011 at 1:33 pm said:

Have owned every battlefield and i must say so far with BF3 i am impressed. Lookout for my feedback on the battlefield blog DICE.

PS Great job action is so intense it feels like I’m on the battlefield..think i broke a sweat just now lol

+ DARKABSOL-X on September 29th, 2011 at 1:38 pm said:

YESSS!!! Im very excited and waiting anxiously for the release date, OMG BF3 looks so AWESOME!! definitely best action game!! downloading beta ^_^ Cya on game, Have fun!

+ RGPInc on September 29th, 2011 at 1:39 pm said:

Fasten your seatbeats noobs………we’re headed ABOVE AND BEYOND THE CALL!!!

+ Kryshalis on September 29th, 2011 at 1:41 pm said:

Having a blast so far! Didn’t know about spotting until just now. I figured it was like it was in the past, where an enemy is spotted if they’re hit. Good to know!

+ TC4SPAZINOUT on September 29th, 2011 at 1:42 pm said:

PS3 USER INGAME VIDEO SETTING FIT SCREEN WITH ARROW THEN YOU SEE BETTER GRAPHIC I WAS FEELING THE SAME WAY WHEN I FIRST PLAYED THEN MADE THE CHANGE AND WAS LIKE OMG THATS SO MUCH BETTER ??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????STOP HAMMER TIME ………………………………………..GET RID OF THE BLUR

+ Kryshalis on September 29th, 2011 at 1:44 pm said:

Team play will get better with the retail release. Same thing happened with MAG. That beta was filled with campers and PK’ers, and it turned out solid. I have high hopes for this title.

+ TC4SPAZINOUT on September 29th, 2011 at 1:45 pm said:

BETA END ON TH 10 TH TO SHORT

+ Squall1979 on September 29th, 2011 at 1:48 pm said:

Quick Knife? So what is the control for the “Slow Knife?”

+ Kryshalis on September 29th, 2011 at 1:58 pm said:

@73 +1

+ catmat25 on September 29th, 2011 at 1:58 pm said:

I really enjoy the game, but I can’t join my friends game. I open up the friends menu and highlight their name and hit X to join, but nothing happens.

+ devilmosh on September 29th, 2011 at 2:00 pm said:

I love it! I’m very proud to have this pre-ordered. It’s a gorgeous game.

Yeah, right now it’s full of jokers and campers. One teammate was enjoying shining his flashlight in my face so I blow-torched the SOB so I could shoot the enemy behind him. And it was weird defending points when the guys who were supposed to blow them up were all camping on the other side of the map. But I see that early on with most multiplayer games.

On the game side, no complaints from me so far!

+ CaribbeanCLANK on September 29th, 2011 at 2:01 pm said:

I am a huge fan of the Battlefield series and have been playing the beta since early Wednesday morning. DICE has been very confident about there new game and for good reason. I love that the recoil of weapons is a bit more realistic and it takes a bit more still to kill your enemy. It was a lot easier in Bad Company 2 and I welcome the challenge. I love that the sniper rifle is no longer steady so a bit more skill is involved in getting that perfect shot off at long range.

The tweaks to the classes takes a little time to get used to but make sense. Assault class actually feels right with the Medic abilities. Tons of stuff to unlock and I am only at level/rank 16. And as always the map design is great…the guys at DICE really know how to make fun and interesting maps. Can’t wait to play the other maps in Battlefield 3 and I am very excited to play the maps from BF2.

There are a few bugs and the squad system doesn’t work. That has been the most annoying issue in the beta…the inability to play with friends. But that is why we are here…to help you guys make the game work better.

Can’t wait to get my hands on the full game….back to the Battlefield.

+ jaytheraw on September 29th, 2011 at 2:02 pm said:

when will beta end

+ illegalseed420 on September 29th, 2011 at 2:15 pm said:

Ok, I played 4 matches so far and died 90 percent of the time by a camper in some bushes…I mean come on. This game is for people with no talent. You might as well call it snipefield. Not battle field. You attempt to move and get sniped down from 300 yards away…you attempt to snipe and get maybe 5 kills the entire game.

ill take the noobtoobs over camping snipers anyday.

+ Donald6493 on September 29th, 2011 at 2:16 pm said:

Its a ok beta but lots of bugs to work out, Been playing the beta for 2 days on the Playstation 3 and I hope that the graphics are better then they are in the beat. Thank god I pre order the PC version. Going to be way better and played on a PC like all battlefield games should be

+ Homeless-Dingo on September 29th, 2011 at 2:26 pm said:

Im at work dammit..

calling my girlfriend as i type to tell her to start downloading…

<3 EA lets help these guys beat MW3

+ Homeless-Dingo on September 29th, 2011 at 2:28 pm said:

and thanks dice cant forget u guys

+ Deathspear666 on September 29th, 2011 at 2:35 pm said:

Only took me 10 minutes to download :)

+ kingbideo2 on September 29th, 2011 at 2:37 pm said:

Dice i love the game and every thing about it but could y’all make a layout with R2 fire and L2 zoom it really hurt my hands using R1 to fire and L1 to zoom i would really appreciate if y’all replied back to this its just not me asking its more then me its for those people who feel the same way about just one layout. Thanks for reading.

+ DoTheKiller91 on September 29th, 2011 at 2:42 pm said:

Meh… It’s just that i SUCK at first person shooters online, but besides that, the game looks, sounds and plays pretty well, though i would have to dissagree that Battlefield 3 is a CoD killer(imo of course). I still can’t wait to see more about MW3 aswell. But im more of a sandbox action/adventure type of player, see my avatar? Yup, im looking foward for Revelations more than anything else! But DICE, you guys are still awesome! Keep up the great work! =P

+ ChAgO1789 on September 29th, 2011 at 2:49 pm said:

y have the medal of honor limited edition, y received a mail from ea telling me, that y can play the pre open beta, from the 27, but still today, i cant find the demo in the playstation store, it doesnt appear why? im from mexico..

+ KidCommando on September 29th, 2011 at 2:54 pm said:

@ ChAgo1789

Go to the PSN store and use the search function in the top right corner. Search for ” Battlefield 3 beta “

+ KidCommando on September 29th, 2011 at 2:54 pm said:

oh….missed the mexico part. not sure about that then.

+ soldiercell on September 29th, 2011 at 2:55 pm said:

Not even renting this garbage! MW3 will destroy you!

+ Go_Buddie_Go on September 29th, 2011 at 3:00 pm said:

Not even 2 hours into the beta… And this is the first shooter I’ve played in a long while (It’s complicated) and some guy messages me, telling me I’m using Aimbot and threatens to get my account banned ~_~” quite funny though. Other than that, I’m enjoying the beta despite it being played on my roommates crappy TV >_<

+ ChAgO1789 on September 29th, 2011 at 3:02 pm said:

@KidCommando

i think it would appear when the ps store get updated, but im not sure a what time…but is weird, that i received the mail telling me that i can play on the 27th and still cant find the beta..

thanks for the info…

+ FallenAC on September 29th, 2011 at 3:05 pm said:

Omg finnaly…im just dieing for it to finish downloading

+ Creative_ae on September 29th, 2011 at 3:13 pm said:

There is some bugs located on beta, and i will post video on youtube !

+ Mutts-NL on September 29th, 2011 at 3:13 pm said:

How can you logon to Battlelog?
If i login with my origin account i get redirected to the pc page?
Anyone have a cleu?

+ L30L10NH34RT on September 29th, 2011 at 3:15 pm said:

SHHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW!!!

Mal vejo a hora de chegar em casa e jogar essa beleza xD

+ x-_Lito_-x on September 29th, 2011 at 3:19 pm said:

This game disappoints.

+ FR0STYdaD0P3MANN on September 29th, 2011 at 3:26 pm said:

yeaaa !!!!! w00t w00t this is what im talking about … thanks for the Beta DICE i can not wait for this game !!!

+ ThatGeekyKid on September 29th, 2011 at 3:28 pm said:

Anyone else not hear any voice chat? I can hear my friends if we join a squad together at the main menu, but when we join a game, I can’t hear them or anyone else on the team.

+ loadstone007 on September 29th, 2011 at 3:30 pm said:

Damn, this is so unlucky. My PS3 drew its last breath today (launch model, 2007)… now I have to wait at least a few weeks before I can continue the joy of the PS3…

Cruel, cruel world.

+ FR0STYdaD0P3MANN on September 29th, 2011 at 3:30 pm said:

@89 obviously your a little kid to see the difference in these two games which in the end BF3 will be better… MW2.5 MAYBE a big MAYBE sell more but for a better game hands down BF3 will PWN !!!