Bloodborne

PlayStation Nation – “Long Live Play” Celebrates YOU

Scott Steinberg's Avatar + Posted by Scott Steinberg on Oct 05, 2011 // VP of Product Marketing

Long Live Play: Celebrates You!

Hello PlayStation Nation,

Early last month, with some ambiguity, we announced that we were looking for a few good gamers to assist us with a special assignment related to our freshly launched Long Live Play campaign. Long Live Play honors gamers from all walks of life and recognizes you for making PlayStation who we are today.

We asked members of the PlayStation Nation to email us with pictures of themselves holding their PS3 controller and in 30 words-or-less, describe how they epitomize the ultimate PlayStation gamer. I know that PlayStation gamers are some of the most impassioned fans in the world, but I was blown away by the thousands of responses that flooded my email.

After weeks of anticipation, I can finally reveal the complete ambition behind Long Live Play. I’m delighted to announce that we’ve painstakingly reviewed each submission and selected a dozen or so die-hard gamers to represent the PlayStation Nation in a brand new Long Live Play campaign that will air on national TV starting October 5th. We think this film provides an insider’s look into what it’s like to be immersed in our universe and why it’s so compelling to game on the PS3.

For those already initiated into the Nation, I think you’ll find this film almost like a game itself. You’ll see a rich layering of different characters from some of your favorite game franchises – including cool everyman Nathan Drake from UNCHARTED, the mighty Kratos from God of War, the nimble Sackboy from LittleBigPlanet, and a monstrous Chimera from Resistance – all gathered together saluting “YOU” the PlayStation gamer. We spent months building out this experience and loaded it with numerous PlayStation Easter eggs. I’m pretty confident it will take several viewings before you find them all. Towards the end of the film be sure to notice the collection of photos of your fellow members of the Nation. This is one small way of demonstrating our sincere “Thanks” and to celebrate your tremendous commitment to PlayStation’s thriving community. And with PS3s available for under $250 – we welcome all gamers to come on board to experience the best in Blu-ray gaming.

It is our hope that this film showcases to all gamers the incredible characters and experiences that make PlayStation 3 the ultimate platform for people who love to game. You know that PlayStation has the industry’s best line-up of exclusive software titles, features highly immersive motion-control and 3D gaming, and free access to vast amounts of sports, movies, TV, games and more on PlayStation Network. Now, with your help, we’re spreading the word so the world knows that PlayStation continues to be the top destination for gaming.

Long Live Play!

311 Comments

PAGE 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

+ D-Squad3 on October 5th, 2011 at 10:15 am said:

Was awesome to see Lightning but we could barely see the pictures on the walls.

+ HuStLe247 on October 5th, 2011 at 10:21 am said:

WOW!! This weeks full of disappointments! First Apple with the iPhone 4s and now this. SMH.. I was expecting some kind of new firmware update that actually adds something cool. We all know with Sony we cant get our hopes up to high tho, they always seem to disapoint. Cool ad tho.

+ MarioTBK on October 5th, 2011 at 10:23 am said:

Ok, that video is absolutely brilliant.

I wanna go to that place, Snake, Ezio, Cole, and Sackboy in one place. Must be the best place ever.

+ Loonknight on October 5th, 2011 at 10:27 am said:

Great Ad, I’m sure there are many good things to come. Thanks for celebrating those in the gaming industry with their characters and the of course the players. Long Live Play.

+ FANGAM3R on October 5th, 2011 at 10:28 am said:

wow best epic commercial ever thanks sony always #1

+ D-Squad3 on October 5th, 2011 at 10:31 am said:

I’m still upset how you guys showed the fans pictures. Ugh…you can barely identify anyone. :(

+ AmpMunkey on October 5th, 2011 at 10:39 am said:

Sooo? Is this for Sony Smash Bros or not? That was a huge disappointment.

+ Spice_Weasel021 on October 5th, 2011 at 10:44 am said:

Best.Commercial.Ever.
But 2 things:
1. Wheres Sly cooper?
2. I dont remember being told about how to enter this. I would have gladly entered given a clear notice.

+ DrPhiill on October 5th, 2011 at 10:51 am said:

Wow! just WOW! love every second of the “trailer/movie”! DAMN so many awesome games and great scenes! LONG LIVE PLAY!

+ ItaChu on October 5th, 2011 at 10:55 am said:

i dont understand what it is yet….. lol

+ Carl-G on October 5th, 2011 at 10:57 am said:

That was AMAZING :P :P :P [shame its just a USA ad] :-( SONY should show it worldwide(on TV that is) ;)

+ Carl-G on October 5th, 2011 at 10:58 am said:

Oh + Clank should have been in it playing Chess with Sack-boy LoL

+ DigitalProduct on October 5th, 2011 at 11:07 am said:

It was pretty more, wish there was a nice update with this new commercial tho. =\

+ xCh0z3n-0n3x on October 5th, 2011 at 11:13 am said:

who the [DELETED] is Michael??? lmfaoooo :P:P:P:P

+ newsense2008 on October 5th, 2011 at 11:15 am said:

Apparently I am in there but when I got picked I thought you might actually be able to see my picture.

+ snake4308 on October 5th, 2011 at 11:19 am said:

beautiful,but I’m sad that I didn’t enter

+ BiggDaddyV06 on October 5th, 2011 at 11:20 am said:

Beautiful!!!

+ ELBARBERO1 on October 5th, 2011 at 11:25 am said:

This video was truly EPIC. I love being a PS3 gamer and I can proudly profess that I live all the way in central America, in a country called Nicaragua to be exact. We here, amid facebook, and now recently through face to face events, have organized our ps3 gamers in the country and we hold monthly tournaments for new games, paintball events, outings, and now have even gotten the attention of major sony product retailers here that now fund our events like recently we gave away a free new ps3 to the winner of our Pro Evolution Soccer Tournament. And our group keeps on growing! Thank you Sony and on behalf of “PLAYSTATION ELITE NICARAGUA”, we will always keep on gaming with you as our flagship console! Vita coming soon!

+ Surfaced on October 5th, 2011 at 11:32 am said:

Not the new features we wanted, but an awesome tribute nonetheless.

+ Emerald_Swords on October 5th, 2011 at 11:33 am said:

This was one epic Video, im proud to be a gamer.

+ thefjk on October 5th, 2011 at 11:36 am said:

Unfortunately, haters gon hate… but this ad is cool, it appeals to every gamer out there including the competition. I’m sure everyone’s imagined a scenario like this… LLP yo!

+ Kxpuc on October 5th, 2011 at 11:36 am said:

moo

+ LordRaoh on October 5th, 2011 at 11:37 am said:

Such a great ad..

Please make more..

Should have had Kevin Butler and Jack Tretton somewhere shooting darts or arm wrestling or having a beer chugging contest.

+ YohanSONKAI on October 5th, 2011 at 11:37 am said:

Fantastic! Very clever idea, great costumes and games!!

+ Blazeking on October 5th, 2011 at 11:51 am said:

Great Ad, horrible execution…

Tell your advertising department to never do it again. That was the definition of anti-climatic.

+ JamesTSkywalker on October 5th, 2011 at 11:53 am said:

Here’s a rundown of who I saw in the video:

0:48 — Nathan Drake (Uncharted 3) and Lightning (Final Fantasy XIII)

0:56 — Cole McGrath (inFAMOUS 2)

0:59 — Isaac Clark (Dead Space 2), Ghost (Modern Warfare 2), Sweet Tooth (Twisted Metal), Hitman (Hitman: Absolution)

1:03 — Joe Mauer (MLB 11: The Show), Old Snake (Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriot)

1:16 — Hitman, Sweet Tooth, Chell (Portal 2)

1:17 — Sackboy (LittleBigPlanet 2)

1:19 — Helghast soldiers (Killzone 3), Athena and Kratos (God of War III), Cole

1:37 — Little Sister (BioShock)

1:46 — Ratchet (Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack in Time); Ezio Auditore (Assassin’s Creed II), Ken (Super Street Fighter IV), USC Player (NCAA Football 12)

1:52 — Helghast and Chimera

I miss anyone, or get anyone wrong? (I could be wrong about Ken…)

+ TheGuardianFID on October 5th, 2011 at 11:54 am said:

THAT WAS FREAKING AWESOME LOL, TO MICHEAL LOL!!! 8)

+ sirqweirDY on October 5th, 2011 at 11:56 am said:

That put a smile on my face. Quite good.

+ DoomRaider on October 5th, 2011 at 11:57 am said:

All That For Michael Who The Hell Is Michael… That Was a Good Little Movie Sony Did

+ Budapesti on October 5th, 2011 at 11:59 am said:

We live in a world where even ads (albeit really, really impressive ones) have announcement teasers.
Let’s just think about that for a moment…

Is that the sound of the four horsemen I hear coming over the hill?

(If the first thing you thought of after reading that last sentence was ‘Darksiders 2′, I’m afraid you’re already a lost soul!)

+ Budapesti on October 5th, 2011 at 12:00 pm said:

Also: I’m Michael, and so is my wife!

+ lisatsunami on October 5th, 2011 at 12:07 pm said:

That was great, thanks. Lucky “Michael”, quite an honor to be chosen to represent all of us. I think that whole outage thingy has made Sony more appreciative of their loyal fans than before, and this ad campaign is proof of that.

Dear Sony: you keep making the best games, & we’ll keep playing. Deal!

+ Nidathon on October 5th, 2011 at 12:20 pm said:

Absolutely EPIC!!!!!!! Love this commercial, keep em coming. Proud to be in the PlayStation Nation babe, yea!

+ Sonny30 on October 5th, 2011 at 12:25 pm said:

Loved it, Thank you for everything and all the memories. Amazing.

+ MarioTBK on October 5th, 2011 at 12:27 pm said:

@176

at 0:27 for a fraction of a second you can see MK II from MGS4

at 1:51 you can see the dude from Killzone behind Cole I think

And if that is Ken, it looks nothing like him, it looks like Ken and the dude from Trigun had some sort of weird genetic baby.

+ DARZERO on October 5th, 2011 at 12:34 pm said:

WOW, well done. you got to watch it couple time to see all the references. Good work.

+ WelmoscaBR on October 5th, 2011 at 12:36 pm said:

that was AWESOME!!! I love you SONY and above all PS so much….I never had other console just playstation….because was where I met video games…since PS1…damn I love you…keep the exclusives….and count me in with you forever.I’ll be SONY and Playstation fan for all my life.Because PS is the God of the best.

+ JamesTSkywalker on October 5th, 2011 at 12:49 pm said:

@185: Yeah, I was corrected over at IGN, it’s Paul Phoenix from Tekken.

+ WPack911 on October 5th, 2011 at 12:51 pm said:

More then just the best PS3 Ad, this might even be the best PlayStation brand Ad ever, if not it’s right up there with the best from the past for sure. Play this for as long and as often as you can Sony, it’s pure win!

+ psychoqwirk420 on October 5th, 2011 at 1:05 pm said:

That was AWESOME! I’m happy to be Playstation. To all of those who were “let down” or thought it was an “epic fail”, then you are a fair weather (or fly by night) PS fan! How much more epic could that have been? All of the characters telling their story and of their victory that WE controlled? I don’t know about you guys, but that was just sweet! Great “thanks” from PS to all of it’s fans. Moral (I thought) was that those characters wouldn’t be ANYONE or ANYTHING without us! So from myself, Thank you and Your welcome Sony!

+ YungShep on October 5th, 2011 at 1:06 pm said:

TO MICHAEL! LOL I WANTED TO SUBMIT MINE, :(

+ Pesico on October 5th, 2011 at 1:07 pm said:

This ad gave me the chills. Great job guys. Been a PlayStation gamer since PS1, and it doesn’t look like I’m going to stop anytime soon. Thanks for all the great games and consoles you guys make.

+ shungokusatsu on October 5th, 2011 at 1:10 pm said:

Absolutely amazing; hands down the best advertisement you have ever done. Please, please do a behind the scenes entry on this trailer, would love to see what went into getting all these publishers on board.

I can’t imagine you topping this ad, not for a matter of years. I’d love to be proven wrong, though!

+ ROLO_ONFIRE on October 5th, 2011 at 1:13 pm said:

Great ad, but if Sony loves their consumers that much then they should bring back PS2 backwards compatibility, linux and get rid of those PSN passes

+ rockinjs864 on October 5th, 2011 at 1:14 pm said:

Good commercial bad way to promote it I think you guys were coming up with something epic not just a photo of long live play winners second disappointment of this week tied with the iPhone 4S

+ BOSTONJOHN32 on October 5th, 2011 at 1:15 pm said:

hate using this word, but that was epic..

+ guitain on October 5th, 2011 at 1:15 pm said:

I hate you guys for leading up to this only… But I couldn’t help but smile at the end of the video! Also, I saw Ratchet…

+ hulkrock on October 5th, 2011 at 1:15 pm said:

Long Live Play! That was awesome!

+ zech678 on October 5th, 2011 at 1:21 pm said:

thank you playstation give need all time respect you people are best

+ Subzero316 on October 5th, 2011 at 1:28 pm said: