PS4 - The Last of Us Remastered

Introducing the Heroes of the PSN Exclusive: OKABU

Simon Oliver's Avatar + Posted by Simon Oliver on Oct 06, 2011 // founder, HandCircus

Its been a couple of months since we were last here talking about OKABU, our upcoming PSN-exclusive action-adventure, and we’re thrilled to be part of this month’s “Only On PSN” program, sitting alongside such awesome titles as Pixeljunk Sidescroller, Eufloria and Rochard.

So the big news is that we finally have a release date! OKABU will be hitting PSN on October 18th, and there’ll be a demo available on launch day that’ll let you take our cloud-flying heroes for a test flight. With launch only a couple of weeks away, we wanted to share a few more details about the game, and what you’ll be doing as you guide Kumulo and Nimbe through the four worlds that make up the story campaign.

Since we started development one of our biggest goals has been to pack a ton of gameplay variety in the game, from physics-play and drivable vehicles to the ability to control the creatures that fill the world. These powers come from the cloud-flying heroes in the game, which you can pick up and drop off to swap abilities on the fly.

With our previous trailers we’ve been keen to show off everything that you can do in the game, but I realize that there is a lot to take in such a short amount of video! With launch coming up, we thought it would be good to go into a bit more detail with each hero and give you a taste of what each of them brings to the table. Without further ado, here’s a video showing each of the characters in action:

The four guys you see surfing on the backs of the cloud-whales are Okabu’s cloud-flying heroes: Captain Monkfish, Picolo, Roki and Kat. Each provides a unique set of abilities to the player: need to pull down a drawbridge? Pick up Captain Monkfish and fire his harpoon. Need to charm a bull to smash through a wooden barricade? Pick up Picolo and get charming!

The puzzles and action challenges that make up each level center around the skills of these heroes, and its up to you to work out how best to use them together. If you’re playing single player, you can swap between the two clouds by pressing Triangle (so you can always have two heroes handy). If you’re playing with a friend, each of you can take control of a cloud-whale as you work together to progress through each level.

We can’t wait to get OKABU into your hands, and can’t believe we are so close to launch! Next week we’re going to delve a little more into the puzzles and co-op mode, so join us back here on the PlayStation.Blog, or follow us on Twitter for more details as we get closer to October 18th.

+ FORMIK on October 6th, 2011 at 6:22 am said:

This is some great, vibrant artwork. Good job on creating a game incorporating puzzles that can either be a one or two-player experience.

+ WFMMK on October 6th, 2011 at 6:37 am said:

I will be buying this the second it’s up on the store. It looks fanfreakingtastic, really can’t wait.

+ MarkakaJin on October 6th, 2011 at 6:41 am said:

This game is strange. I like strange games.

+ JH-FallenReaper on October 6th, 2011 at 7:06 am said:

ive seen the trailer and was hooked especially the music,im buying this and is there local co op?

Simon Oliver's Avatar

+ Simon Oliver on October 6th, 2011 at 8:20 am said:

Yep, there’s local co-op!

+ rjejr on October 6th, 2011 at 7:11 am said:

Can anybody tell me what’s going on here / in there? I can’t tell if it’s Animal Crossing, Pyschonauts, Noby, Noby Boy or Incredibles: Rise of the Underminer. I’ve watched the video twice but I’m still not sure.

Also, I have no idea what’s going on here except the inclusion of multiplayer, but being released the same day as two highly anticipated multiplayer games Dungeon Defenders and R&C:A4O equals bad bad timing. And the Wiiware graphics – which I happen to like but most people here probably won’t – aren’t going to help.

Good luck, hopefully it’ll be just weird enough for a cult following.

+ rjejr on October 6th, 2011 at 7:26 am said:

OK, went back to the 2 June postings (think I was on vacation that week so musta missed them) and kinda got it now. I think. The mini-games collection reminded me of Jak and Daxter – rounding up groundhogs and yaks – so that’s a definite plus. Consider me intrigued. Still a bummer about the timing though 8-(

+ JonJonXD on October 6th, 2011 at 7:29 am said:

I’ve been waiting for forever for this to come out. Day 1 purchase!

+ dilbig5 on October 6th, 2011 at 7:52 am said:

Nice art style. Kind of soothing in a way.

+ Psikorps on October 6th, 2011 at 7:56 am said:

I have been wating/wanting to play Okabu since first seeing the E3 trailer.

Now, here we are getting ever closer…and guess what, its launched on the 18th.

Guess what else is out on the 18th, Batman: Arkham City…

The fact that I’m buying both Okabu and Batman: AC on the same day, and have them both as my primary Oct (must buy) purchases says something…I’m not sure what exactly, but that Okabu is right up there with Batman: AC…is…well…I duno.

Okabu = Cute game
Batman: AC = Anything but cute. (Cat Woman maybe…)

But…hats off to the good people over at HandCircus.
Great visuals, artwork, music and that it has co-op mode is something my son is going to greatly enjoy.

Thanks much for the update Simon!

Simon Oliver's Avatar

+ Simon Oliver on October 6th, 2011 at 8:22 am said:

Thanks for the kind words! We can’t wait for release

+ newgen4christ on October 6th, 2011 at 8:08 am said:

was up

+ newgen4christ on October 6th, 2011 at 8:08 am said:

who got red dead remdption

+ mcbuttz78 on October 6th, 2011 at 8:35 am said:

you know you could curse us out like a sailor but we would forgive you, becuase you said the magic words of forgiveness ” psn exclusive,. :)”

mcbuttz78
vp-psn legionairee group

+ VIP-Fury on October 6th, 2011 at 8:46 am said:

looks great, best of luck to hand circus.

+ JLP_M on October 6th, 2011 at 9:55 am said:

I’m getting this for sure! I just love the style of the game! Please tell me you guys are planning on releasing PSN Avatars for it!?

Simon Oliver's Avatar

+ Simon Oliver on October 6th, 2011 at 10:13 am said:

Yep! PSN Avatars should be coming real soon, featuring all of the characters in the video, and a few other critters

+ lisatsunami on October 6th, 2011 at 10:46 am said:

Hello, looks adorable. I will check out the demo, thanks!

+ Kirkpad on October 6th, 2011 at 11:09 am said:

Awesome stuff, can’t wait to try this one out.

+ octus on October 6th, 2011 at 12:33 pm said:

doesnt look like my style of game, but good luck. i hope it does well for you guys/girls.

+ plaztiksyke on October 6th, 2011 at 12:45 pm said:

Local co-op means first day purchase for me. I love the look and design. My husband and I should be finished with Eat Them and PixelJunk Shooter 2 by then :)

Are the graphics rendering in 1080p natively? what kind of AA is used (if any)? (jaggies and aliasing artifacts are something I have a super-low tolerance for in PS3 games.)

Simon Oliver's Avatar

+ Simon Oliver on October 7th, 2011 at 3:22 am said:

Its 720P with 4x MSAA, running at a solid 60FPS. Hope you enjoy!

+ WelmoscaBR on October 6th, 2011 at 12:52 pm said:

please release one demo…I’m really interested but cant buy without a demo…since I dont get it too much.

Simon Oliver's Avatar

+ Simon Oliver on October 7th, 2011 at 3:22 am said:

There will be a demo on release day

+ TomHoang on October 6th, 2011 at 2:53 pm said:

This game looks great, day 1 download for sure!

+ CrashSpyro on October 6th, 2011 at 2:54 pm said:

@19 RTFB

+ thejessmister on October 6th, 2011 at 8:43 pm said:

Yet again, I’m sold. So getting this! I love these unique PSN games. :)

+ Bonventre on October 7th, 2011 at 6:38 am said:

Looks very interesting, the art reminds me of fat princess, can’t wait for demo