PS4-Watch_Dogs

Shank 2 Coming to PSN With Sharper Graphics, New Co-Op

Jamie Cheng's Avatar + Posted by Jamie Cheng on Oct 06, 2011 // Co-Founder, Klei

Hello! I’m here to talk a bit about our newest PSN title — Shank 2! Honestly, it’s been a fantastic journey. We bet everything on the first game, and the fans both supported us and gave us meaningful feedback on the game. The encouragement has not only allowed us to survive and thrive, but gave us a huge reason to take a look at the game and make big improvements. I’m here to talk a bit about what we’ve been working on.

Let’s start with the art. As you may know, our entire art team consists of professional animators and painters from the 2D animation industry, and again Jeff Agala directed the visuals. The goal here was to blow away our previous fidelity and set a new bar for ourselves. To do that, we doubled the resolution of all the source character art to push the graphic novel style, adding a huge amount of extra detail to the environment and even doubling the amount of animation in the game.

We’ve also worked hard on making environments are far more interactive — collapsing ceilings, crumbling floors, fiery environments, barrels and other large objects that you can pick up and hurl.

Shank 2 for PSN

And then there are the actual controls. Shank has always been about the smooth combat system. And not just any combat system, but one where you use all your weapons strung together — chainsaw your dude, stick him with knives, throw him in the air, shoot him a bunch of times, then stick a grenade down his throat, all in an amazing animated style.

So thinking about how to top that became a huge priority for us. In Shank 2, players not only get to carry their own weapons with new combos, grapples, grenades, and more, but we also get to use the enemies’ weapons… while the enemies are still holding them.

Shank 2 for PSN

See the above image? That’s Shank taking the guy’s own shovel and barreling it into his chest. Once the dude is finished, Shank can pick up the shovel and use it, again with a whole new move set.

But probably the most important improvement is in responsiveness. This is probably where the most work came in. Literally, we threw away the old combat implementation and rewrote the entire thing from ground up. We built new tools to be able to more accurately map the hit regions, and paid huge attention to each frame. I can confidently say that Shank 2 is far more responsive. One particular improvement that I’m super happy with is that we now have 360 degree shooting — no longer is Shank locked to specific angles in firing his guns — he can point them in any direction, and we’ve been able to make it happen while keeping the artistry in the animation. That was quite a trick!

Shank 2 for PSN

And finally, I’d like to touch on the brand new Survival Mode. This is our new mode where players fend off wave after harder wave of enemies, bombers, and bosses together with a friend.

What we learned from the Shank community is that, not only did they want to play together, they wanted to keep playing together. That’s why, instead of doing another co-op story as we did previously, we created an awesome Survival Mode because, as fans ourselves, we wanted a way to play Shank with our friends over and over. Now, instead of blowing through the game in one sitting, we get to have a challenging, replayable mode where cooperation and skill is absolutely key to survival. It’s a blast.

Over the next few months we’ll divulge more details about this new co-op mode, including the different maps, strategies in lasting longer, the different characters that you can use, and the in-game purchases that help you survive. And yes, this mode is online-enabled! Just the other day we had a smooooooth test session between Vancouver and San Francisco over the PSN Developer Network.

Hope you enjoyed my little overview of Shank 2! I’ll see you soon. P.S. Mandatory plugs: Here’s our Facebook page, Shank blog, and our Twitter. Pick one or more!

45 Comments

+ zech678 on October 6th, 2011 at 12:04 pm said:

nice

+ FredPunella on October 6th, 2011 at 12:09 pm said:

Crap

+ WFMMK on October 6th, 2011 at 12:10 pm said:

Really looking forward to this. I loved the first one. I even got 100% of the trophies.

+ MaximMicheal on October 6th, 2011 at 12:16 pm said:

Oh I can’t wait! I loved the first game! Any information on a release date?

+ mpb93 on October 6th, 2011 at 12:16 pm said:

dude we want want payday the heist

+ rockinjs864 on October 6th, 2011 at 12:27 pm said:

dude stop spamming the blog post payday is coming in a week or two stop being a whiny kid

+ zech678 on October 6th, 2011 at 12:38 pm said:

@5 STOP WHINY LIKE LITTLE GIRLS [DELETED]

+ axeblade07 on October 6th, 2011 at 12:42 pm said:

Looks good. Online CO-OP is a great addition.

+ plaztiksyke on October 6th, 2011 at 12:43 pm said:

I really liked the original Shank, and actually preferred the idea of a separate co-op prequel campaign, rather than shoe-horning co-op into the primary campaign. It would have disrupted the narrative and the sense of personal danger too much.

It’s really awesome to hear about better art, but it’s too bad it won’t be 1080p native like Critter Crunch and another hand-drawn animated games. Still, getting 720p native assets with tighter framerates will be a big plus.

Does Shank 2 have any GLBT characters?

+ Barnolde on October 6th, 2011 at 12:46 pm said:

Shank was one of the best PSN games I’ve ever played. I cannot wait for the sequel as games of this high-quality do not come around all the time.

+ SMOKINACESFB on October 6th, 2011 at 12:49 pm said:

AWESOME STILL LOVE PLAYING THE FRIST ONE WITH THE BOSS FIGHTS HOPEFULLY THEY BRING ALL THAT BACK AND SOME WILL DEFFENITLY BE GETTING SHANK 2

+ D-Squad3 on October 6th, 2011 at 12:56 pm said:

I still have to get the first, I was gonna get it but you guys took off the discount for PS+ members way too soon so I’ll wait for a price drop.

+ baypinoy415 on October 6th, 2011 at 1:31 pm said:

hmmm looks boring

+ Airwalkinman17 on October 6th, 2011 at 1:32 pm said:

Sounds GOOD. Cant wait to see more.

+ nYcFrEeWiLL82 on October 6th, 2011 at 1:58 pm said:

THIS IS AMAZING..FROM THE GORISH ART WORK TO THE GAME PLAY..ADDING CO-OP WAS A CHERRY ON TOP..ALTHOUGH I WOULD’VE PREFERRED A CO-OP CAMPAIGN AND SURVIVAL..FIGHTING WAVES AND WAVES OF ENEMIES GETS ALIL BORING :/ BUT IM SURE THIS GAME IS GOING TO BE WORTH THE WAIT..AND $10 BUKS :P

+ Alyyse on October 6th, 2011 at 2:05 pm said:

i still have to play the first one

+ hush404 on October 6th, 2011 at 2:06 pm said:

Co-op sounds good… but I wasn’t too big on the first Shank game… it felt repetitive and I eventually just stopped playing.

+ QCVic on October 6th, 2011 at 2:07 pm said:

I still play the first one. You guys over at klei have me excited. I do want to hear more about this story of this sequel.

+ KwietStorm on October 6th, 2011 at 2:58 pm said:

Was hoping for a coop story mode online this time.

+ IVIVP101 on October 6th, 2011 at 3:01 pm said:

Looks good!

+ AguilarX on October 6th, 2011 at 3:21 pm said:

lol at people who dont appreciate this game, bunch of idiots :D.
finished the first one, cant wait for the second.

+ ToFeY on October 6th, 2011 at 3:25 pm said:

@Alyyse
me too ;D i will buy this one as well

+ biiigfoot on October 6th, 2011 at 4:41 pm said:

Just wanted to drop in and say thanks for the kind comments! @4: Game releases early next year.

+ devilmosh on October 6th, 2011 at 4:45 pm said:

Great news! Your hard work is definitely appreciated.

+ the1free_man on October 6th, 2011 at 5:44 pm said:

LOL, I just finished the first Shank 10 minutes ago! I bought it when it was on sale, but got around to playing it only now. I got to say, I absolutely loved it, the look, the combat, everything. Really, the only problem was it was a bit short.
So, I look forward to the sequel very much!

+ WrekGar on October 6th, 2011 at 6:13 pm said:

First game was sweet now adding in co-op for the 2nd game makes it even better.

+ MostHated273 on October 6th, 2011 at 6:52 pm said:

Nice!!! I bought the 1st one, looking to pick up the 2nd

+ Shadead on October 6th, 2011 at 7:19 pm said:

Online coop please? A lot of friends have moved away but we love to play coop games!

+ Eternal-CMO on October 6th, 2011 at 7:21 pm said:

AguilarX, you judging people for having different tastes is an awful, pompous attitude that has no place within a community, such as the PSN. People come from all walks of life and end up with all sorts of preferences. If you like the series then this blog is all the better for you, but don’t demean others for having a difference of opinion.

+ onslaughtree on October 6th, 2011 at 7:27 pm said:

I liked the 1st one, but for the love of me, could not finish it on the hardest mode. Playing over from the beginning of every level after killed was a total pain. If the co-op is solid as the 1st, I will get this also.

+ PainOfSarrow on October 6th, 2011 at 7:32 pm said:

AWSOMEEEEE, one of the best PSN games out there. loved the first one and this one sounds even better. shame on ppl who say this looks boring, i guess Flower is more there style…

+ Genexi2 on October 6th, 2011 at 7:50 pm said:

Any word on 1080p? Games with slick 2d visuals like Shank essentially require it for that super-pristine clean sharpness.

Looking forward to the multiplayer at any rate, gotta love wave-based co-op survival modes.

+ TuttiCicero on October 6th, 2011 at 8:40 pm said:

Online co – op means I’m Shanking my way through 2012~

+ T-WILL_IV on October 7th, 2011 at 5:05 am said:

Looking forward to this 1st shank was great,happy co op is different

+ mcbuttz78 on October 7th, 2011 at 6:19 am said:

you gys acan really draw.. ALot the moves inthe gams look sick and over the top..

+ ThakidIg on October 7th, 2011 at 6:29 am said:

No co-op story? That just killed off my purchase. Why not include co-op story and this new co-op survival mode you guys have now?

+ GT-420 on October 7th, 2011 at 7:01 am said:

Demo please.

+ Cyb3rfr34k-iso on October 7th, 2011 at 7:26 am said:

start to look like a “real” game

+ Deathspear666 on October 7th, 2011 at 10:57 am said:

@mpb93…You sound like all the whiners that cried over Chrono Trigger and cross game chat…here is your bottle baby..derp

+ camseyeview on October 7th, 2011 at 11:12 am said:

is the dodging mechanics going to be smoother? it felt awkward dodging enemies and making two of the bosses requiring perfect dodging skills made them overly tedious especially the last boss fight

+ WelmoscaBR on October 7th, 2011 at 11:29 am said:

Shank looks old…but I loved the first one….and I’ll get this for sure.

+ GGGGit on October 7th, 2011 at 1:18 pm said:

Obviously everyone bashing the original never played it. Shank has a great mix of action and artistry which we’re all starting to see more of these days ( journey, catherine). Stop hating and play the first one then you’ll understand why everyone loved it.

+ biiigfoot on October 8th, 2011 at 1:34 pm said:

@camseyeview dodging is now on the right-stick, and is way more responsive

+ O_R_I_00 on October 11th, 2011 at 1:04 am said:

I am VERY happy to hear this. I’m especially happy about the online co-op. I don’t have anyone to play games with so for the first game I had to beat the prequel co-op story by myself with 2 controllers.

I’m wondering if this new game will be easier, harder or about the same difficulty wise because I beat the game on hard. Let me tell you, hard difficulty was a no checkpoint saving, hair pulling, frustratingly unforgivable challenge! A little too hard. At least allow checkpoint saving for all difficulties because that was ridiculous.

The only thing I’m a little hesitant on is the complete revamp to the control scheme as I really liked the controls for the first.

+ mgsnull617 on October 11th, 2011 at 9:24 am said:

This was good but short..”Shank 1″
I will get only if the sequel is longer and you can play custom sound track