God of War

Oct 06

Oct 06

Stream Live Hockey Games to Your PS3

Brandon Stander's Avatar Posted by Director of Marketing, PlayStation Network

The 2011-12 hockey season drops the puck on the ice, and the PS3, today! That’s right, the PS3 is still the only gaming console to stream live out-of-market hockey games in HD, and this season, in addition to enhanced streaming capabilities, users in the United States and Canada can now download the new NHL GameCenter application for free.

That means users who enjoy free access to PlayStation Network and do not have a subscription to NHL GameCenter LIVE can still have access to a wide range of NHL content through the NHL GameCenter application, including features such as post-game highlights, team schedules, standings, player stats and full NHL scoreboard.

Untitled 01 11

Of course, if you are already an NHL GameCenter LIVE subscriber, you can also stream every 2011-12 regular season game in High Definition on the PS3 — local blackout restrictions do apply. Just like last season, NHL GameCenter LIVE allows subscribers to watch full-length and condensed replays of the current season games they missed (48 hours after they air, no blackouts) and relive NHL history with unlimited access to over 800 classic games from NHL Vault, in addition to all the live hockey games, of course. You can watch the demo here.

You can download the application now from the “Media & Apps” category in the PlayStation Store, and launch it from the TV/Video Services icon of the XMB.

Untitled 01 3

And if you haven’t subscribed to NHL GameCenter LIVE yet, go to www.ps3.com/nhl to get an account and link it to your PS3 using a registration code obtained through the app on your console. The single payment price is $159 for the whole season or you can pay in 8 monthly payments of $19.95.

Get ready for an exciting hockey season of hits, goals and saves delivered via PlayStation Network!

Add Your Own

Midgetguy said:

October 6th, 2:22 pm

If I loved Hockey I would be all over this!

A new service is a new service though, and I can’t complain!

Thanks for the options and support! ^_^

Khaidu said:

October 6th, 2:24 pm

Since the Gamecenter Live via NHL.com is available in EU now also, any chance of seeing that app available for us europeans as well?

acdcfab said:

October 6th, 2:30 pm

Awesome! I love this! All of my friends and I are subscribed!
PS: We want NHL Avatars please! Please! Please!!

Mosh_Pit said:

October 6th, 2:39 pm

I’m all over this. And I’m glad Canada is included. Thanks.

polo155 said:

October 6th, 2:41 pm

This is nice, not hockey fan but I love options like these non the less. I have MLB and NFL already!! the price structure and breakdown I love, now if MLB broke it down like this installments I’d jump on this too just because I love sports!! Thanks Sony!! NHL Is the only thing I DON’T have from everything the PS3 do

doutee said:

October 6th, 2:45 pm

Sweet! I also want NHL avatars. Go red wings!

wildpens87 said:

October 6th, 3:02 pm

This is Awesome getting it for sure……LET’S GO PENS

E-Phoenix- said:

October 6th, 3:16 pm

We want an app for Soccer!

Kirkpad said:

October 6th, 3:34 pm

Canada included in a Hockey promotion? *gasp*

lisatsunami said:

October 6th, 3:58 pm

@10, Kirkpad: LOL, thanks, I was trying to think of my own joke, but yours will do.

BG808s said:

October 6th, 4:14 pm

That’s awesome news! Too bad the NHL season service is so expensive, otherwise I’d be all over it.

D-Squad3 said:

October 6th, 4:21 pm

NBA /blog

usmmst said:

October 6th, 4:24 pm

Why are the two llivegames not available on the PS3-APP???

Robbie_G_lrish said:

October 6th, 4:47 pm

Free? Downloaded! Thanks guys, and go Oilers!

Ca5torTr0y said:

October 6th, 4:56 pm

the app is messing up bad. trying to watch the Toronto game and the video will get WAY behind the audio. i subscribed to NHL Game Center specifically for watching games on my PS3. with the app acting this way, the whole thing is pretty much useless. really not point in “watching” live games if i can’t really watch them. hopefully this issue is being worked on.

sfarrar said:

October 6th, 5:08 pm

I used the NHL GameCenter App last season and it is pretty good with a fast internet connection but when the playoffs roll around do not expect to see much. I saw a few first round games live and the rest of the playoffs I had to wait the full 48 hours after a game before I could watch it. I would like to see something more like Center Ice not as many Blackouts.

David2Crazy said:

October 6th, 5:45 pm

So awesome. This makes me ok with the idea of moving outside of Toronto, I’ll still get my Leafs games!

Emerald_Swords said:

October 6th, 6:24 pm

It’s alot cheaper than the nfl app thats for sure.

GuZ_707 said:

October 6th, 6:37 pm

i love hockey!! im a Sharks fan, im going to subscribe to this so i can cancel my spors pack from directv, but i just hope they show the Sharks games on the app because if they blackout alot im going to be upset

DZORMAGEN said:

October 6th, 9:14 pm

When will be see one for the NBA….Oh wait never mind there is a lockout!!!

evildude683 said:

October 6th, 11:21 pm

Can you guys get an Formula 1 app?

AzureSkieth said:

October 6th, 11:59 pm

Love the sport apps. Been wanting to get in better touch with NHL so now I can at least keep up with the scores and stats. Hoping more apps will come soon. Would love if they could get some sort of MMA on here.

Spaceruben said:

October 7th, 1:12 am

I used this to watch every hockey game since my favorite team is out of state. Hopefully it’s working better this year, there were some serious audio/visual lag last year.

ChaseHammerJ said:

October 7th, 5:07 am

Hmmm Free NHL games yet $400 for NFL games….something is wrong with somebody’s marketing plan

jerryf196 said:

October 7th, 5:19 am

NHL centerice is worthless for e becuase I live in Montreal so all the montreal games are blacked out. So it is worthless for me to spend 159 and not watch my favourite team play.

mcbuttz78 said:

October 7th, 6:27 am

@25 its not free the app is free. if want to watch it you can for 20$ a month for 8 mth or 150$ for the whole season any team you want you can watch..

Also the nfl ticket app is free but to watch the season games you have to buy just like it is for cable.

@26 not true. you can watch them. you ahve just watch it for the other team they are playing at those times.

ChaseHammerJ said:

October 7th, 6:40 am

@27 mcbuttz78

Ah i see i misunderstood i thought the subscription was for to watch it in HD, its just free for highlights and stuff

anyways still i would gladly pay $150 for the entire NFL season, $400 is outrageous.

jasonmask said:

October 7th, 6:40 am

The streams do play like all lag! The games lag even with fast internet, not worth watching on the ps3. Why else do you think they gave it free with playstation plus members!? because it fails! Luckily i have my pc hooked up to my t.v. to watch with no lag and it looks better. To the people who wonder about blackout restrictions you will get no local area games at all, so hope your a fan of a team from a different state!

nirojan45 said:

October 7th, 7:07 am

ohh man soo cliche adding Canada the hockey promotion. Give us NFL Sunday Ticket!!!!!

Bolduk said:

October 7th, 8:04 am

Wow this is so dumb. Free but $160. But free…… but $160… but hey it’s free!

currobhx said:

October 7th, 8:14 am

hi any idea when this app would be aviable in Europe?

BOSTONJOHN32 said:

October 7th, 8:40 am

would be nice to just pay a yearly fee and get access to everything, whether its music services, movies , sports etc.

just seems like 20 bucks 4 this, 30 for that, 10 for this. just one fee which will give you everything while saving also..

would be nice, so as apps/services come out we know we are all set and ready to use them rather than spreading everything out and having to constantly add funds and update. one fee, auto update, all services. would be easier for those who want it all but not in bits and pieces and at a savings if committing to a yearly fee.

SalMoriarty said:

October 7th, 9:15 am

I’d be willing to pay an extra $30 if I could get my local team broadcast.

THEAnderson51 said:

October 7th, 9:48 am

Did they make any updates to the video quality? I bought the app last year, it it lagged a lot, and the video skipped a lot.

Zyeox said:

October 7th, 10:39 am

I got the service and it works great!! I am also using wireless and I have no lag at all.

mcbuttz78 said:

October 7th, 11:26 am

@28 yes the app will show highlights and what i has to offer( which is free). but to see games the actual games and etc you buy the 19.95 a mth option for 8mths, or the 150$ option and and get any team or game you want to watch.

its 2 great choices , but the app is free to everyone to download to see if its worth there dime or hard earned cash. which is think is kinda fair..

WelmoscaBR said:

October 7th, 11:37 am

please….please I beg make one for NBA…you guys made for all sports but where is the best?…please NBA.

barnaclejoe said:

October 7th, 12:47 pm

NHL!! YESSS.. I love you Sony.

SalMoriarty said:

October 7th, 12:59 pm

@38

The NB-what?

madhi19 said:

October 7th, 5:03 pm

It would be fun if you you could just sub using your PSN wallet and if the service had lower tier. I don’t really need all the games if you can price it for 1/6 of current price for just one division that would be a no brainer.

zaca21 said:

October 8th, 3:33 pm

LETS GO BUFFALO!!!!!

Powerplay_Goal said:

October 9th, 4:21 pm

Question: I don’t live in the area for this, but would I get extra programming like Hockey Night in Canada After Hours on this service?

Also, I only need a PSN account and broadband internet to enjoy this, not some connection to a Cable Company?

three2oneContact said:

October 15th, 1:49 am

The app is not worth free IMO. It lags horribly after about a period and a half. From what I read all over the forums it’s not isolated either. Many users say the same thing about the video quality of the streams. Sony needs to fix it’s connection with the NHL streams. I don’t have any issues watching live or recorded games on my PC, but I don’t want to sit in front of my PC to watch hockey. I did actually pay the 9.99 for the app and regret it.

Sony, please fix the app so it works as well as the Netflix app does. Never any streaming issues with Netflix, VUDU, or HULU, why does this app have such a big issue?