PS4 - Destiny

Stream Live Hockey Games to Your PS3

Brandon Stander's Avatar + Posted by Brandon Stander on Oct 06, 2011 // Director of Marketing, PlayStation Network

The 2011-12 hockey season drops the puck on the ice, and the PS3, today! That’s right, the PS3 is still the only gaming console to stream live out-of-market hockey games in HD, and this season, in addition to enhanced streaming capabilities, users in the United States and Canada can now download the new NHL GameCenter application for free.

That means users who enjoy free access to PlayStation Network and do not have a subscription to NHL GameCenter LIVE can still have access to a wide range of NHL content through the NHL GameCenter application, including features such as post-game highlights, team schedules, standings, player stats and full NHL scoreboard.

Untitled 01 11

Of course, if you are already an NHL GameCenter LIVE subscriber, you can also stream every 2011-12 regular season game in High Definition on the PS3 — local blackout restrictions do apply. Just like last season, NHL GameCenter LIVE allows subscribers to watch full-length and condensed replays of the current season games they missed (48 hours after they air, no blackouts) and relive NHL history with unlimited access to over 800 classic games from NHL Vault, in addition to all the live hockey games, of course. You can watch the demo here.

You can download the application now from the “Media & Apps” category in the PlayStation Store, and launch it from the TV/Video Services icon of the XMB.

Untitled 01 3

And if you haven’t subscribed to NHL GameCenter LIVE yet, go to www.ps3.com/nhl to get an account and link it to your PS3 using a registration code obtained through the app on your console. The single payment price is $159 for the whole season or you can pay in 8 monthly payments of $19.95.

Get ready for an exciting hockey season of hits, goals and saves delivered via PlayStation Network!

44 Comments

+ Midgetguy on October 6th, 2011 at 2:22 pm said:

If I loved Hockey I would be all over this!

A new service is a new service though, and I can’t complain!

Thanks for the options and support! ^_^

+ Khaidu on October 6th, 2011 at 2:24 pm said:

Since the Gamecenter Live via NHL.com is available in EU now also, any chance of seeing that app available for us europeans as well?

+ acdcfab on October 6th, 2011 at 2:30 pm said:

Awesome! I love this! All of my friends and I are subscribed!
PS: We want NHL Avatars please! Please! Please!!

+ Mosh_Pit on October 6th, 2011 at 2:39 pm said:

I’m all over this. And I’m glad Canada is included. Thanks.

+ polo155 on October 6th, 2011 at 2:41 pm said:

This is nice, not hockey fan but I love options like these non the less. I have MLB and NFL already!! the price structure and breakdown I love, now if MLB broke it down like this installments I’d jump on this too just because I love sports!! Thanks Sony!! NHL Is the only thing I DON’T have from everything the PS3 do

+ doutee on October 6th, 2011 at 2:45 pm said:

Sweet! I also want NHL avatars. Go red wings!

+ wildpens87 on October 6th, 2011 at 3:02 pm said:

This is Awesome getting it for sure……LET’S GO PENS

+ E-Phoenix- on October 6th, 2011 at 3:16 pm said:

We want an app for Soccer!

+ Kirkpad on October 6th, 2011 at 3:34 pm said:

Canada included in a Hockey promotion? *gasp*

+ lisatsunami on October 6th, 2011 at 3:58 pm said:

@10, Kirkpad: LOL, thanks, I was trying to think of my own joke, but yours will do.

+ BG808s on October 6th, 2011 at 4:14 pm said:

That’s awesome news! Too bad the NHL season service is so expensive, otherwise I’d be all over it.

+ D-Squad3 on October 6th, 2011 at 4:21 pm said:

NBA /blog

+ usmmst on October 6th, 2011 at 4:24 pm said:

Why are the two llivegames not available on the PS3-APP???

+ Robbie_G_lrish on October 6th, 2011 at 4:47 pm said:

Free? Downloaded! Thanks guys, and go Oilers!

+ Ca5torTr0y on October 6th, 2011 at 4:56 pm said:

the app is messing up bad. trying to watch the Toronto game and the video will get WAY behind the audio. i subscribed to NHL Game Center specifically for watching games on my PS3. with the app acting this way, the whole thing is pretty much useless. really not point in “watching” live games if i can’t really watch them. hopefully this issue is being worked on.

+ sfarrar on October 6th, 2011 at 5:08 pm said:

I used the NHL GameCenter App last season and it is pretty good with a fast internet connection but when the playoffs roll around do not expect to see much. I saw a few first round games live and the rest of the playoffs I had to wait the full 48 hours after a game before I could watch it. I would like to see something more like Center Ice not as many Blackouts.

+ David2Crazy on October 6th, 2011 at 5:45 pm said:

So awesome. This makes me ok with the idea of moving outside of Toronto, I’ll still get my Leafs games!

+ Emerald_Swords on October 6th, 2011 at 6:24 pm said:

It’s alot cheaper than the nfl app thats for sure.

+ GuZ_707 on October 6th, 2011 at 6:37 pm said:

i love hockey!! im a Sharks fan, im going to subscribe to this so i can cancel my spors pack from directv, but i just hope they show the Sharks games on the app because if they blackout alot im going to be upset

+ DZORMAGEN on October 6th, 2011 at 9:14 pm said:

When will be see one for the NBA….Oh wait never mind there is a lockout!!!

+ evildude683 on October 6th, 2011 at 11:21 pm said:

Can you guys get an Formula 1 app?

+ AzureSkieth on October 6th, 2011 at 11:59 pm said:

Love the sport apps. Been wanting to get in better touch with NHL so now I can at least keep up with the scores and stats. Hoping more apps will come soon. Would love if they could get some sort of MMA on here.

+ Spaceruben on October 7th, 2011 at 1:12 am said:

I used this to watch every hockey game since my favorite team is out of state. Hopefully it’s working better this year, there were some serious audio/visual lag last year.

+ ChaseHammerJ on October 7th, 2011 at 5:07 am said:

Hmmm Free NHL games yet $400 for NFL games….something is wrong with somebody’s marketing plan

+ jerryf196 on October 7th, 2011 at 5:19 am said:

NHL centerice is worthless for e becuase I live in Montreal so all the montreal games are blacked out. So it is worthless for me to spend 159 and not watch my favourite team play.

+ mcbuttz78 on October 7th, 2011 at 6:27 am said:

@25 its not free the app is free. if want to watch it you can for 20$ a month for 8 mth or 150$ for the whole season any team you want you can watch..

Also the nfl ticket app is free but to watch the season games you have to buy just like it is for cable.

@26 not true. you can watch them. you ahve just watch it for the other team they are playing at those times.

+ ChaseHammerJ on October 7th, 2011 at 6:40 am said:

@27 mcbuttz78

Ah i see i misunderstood i thought the subscription was for to watch it in HD, its just free for highlights and stuff

anyways still i would gladly pay $150 for the entire NFL season, $400 is outrageous.

+ jasonmask on October 7th, 2011 at 6:40 am said:

The streams do play like all lag! The games lag even with fast internet, not worth watching on the ps3. Why else do you think they gave it free with playstation plus members!? because it fails! Luckily i have my pc hooked up to my t.v. to watch with no lag and it looks better. To the people who wonder about blackout restrictions you will get no local area games at all, so hope your a fan of a team from a different state!

+ nirojan45 on October 7th, 2011 at 7:07 am said:

ohh man soo cliche adding Canada the hockey promotion. Give us NFL Sunday Ticket!!!!!

+ Bolduk on October 7th, 2011 at 8:04 am said:

Wow this is so dumb. Free but $160. But free…… but $160… but hey it’s free!

+ currobhx on October 7th, 2011 at 8:14 am said:

hi any idea when this app would be aviable in Europe?

+ BOSTONJOHN32 on October 7th, 2011 at 8:40 am said:

would be nice to just pay a yearly fee and get access to everything, whether its music services, movies , sports etc.

just seems like 20 bucks 4 this, 30 for that, 10 for this. just one fee which will give you everything while saving also..

would be nice, so as apps/services come out we know we are all set and ready to use them rather than spreading everything out and having to constantly add funds and update. one fee, auto update, all services. would be easier for those who want it all but not in bits and pieces and at a savings if committing to a yearly fee.

+ SalMoriarty on October 7th, 2011 at 9:15 am said:

I’d be willing to pay an extra $30 if I could get my local team broadcast.

+ THEAnderson51 on October 7th, 2011 at 9:48 am said:

Did they make any updates to the video quality? I bought the app last year, it it lagged a lot, and the video skipped a lot.

+ Zyeox on October 7th, 2011 at 10:39 am said:

I got the service and it works great!! I am also using wireless and I have no lag at all.

+ mcbuttz78 on October 7th, 2011 at 11:26 am said:

@28 yes the app will show highlights and what i has to offer( which is free). but to see games the actual games and etc you buy the 19.95 a mth option for 8mths, or the 150$ option and and get any team or game you want to watch.

its 2 great choices , but the app is free to everyone to download to see if its worth there dime or hard earned cash. which is think is kinda fair..

+ WelmoscaBR on October 7th, 2011 at 11:37 am said:

please….please I beg make one for NBA…you guys made for all sports but where is the best?…please NBA.

+ barnaclejoe on October 7th, 2011 at 12:47 pm said:

NHL!! YESSS.. I love you Sony.

+ SalMoriarty on October 7th, 2011 at 12:59 pm said:

@38

The NB-what?

+ madhi19 on October 7th, 2011 at 5:03 pm said:

It would be fun if you you could just sub using your PSN wallet and if the service had lower tier. I don’t really need all the games if you can price it for 1/6 of current price for just one division that would be a no brainer.

+ zaca21 on October 8th, 2011 at 3:33 pm said:

LETS GO BUFFALO!!!!!

+ Powerplay_Goal on October 9th, 2011 at 4:21 pm said:

Question: I don’t live in the area for this, but would I get extra programming like Hockey Night in Canada After Hours on this service?

Also, I only need a PSN account and broadband internet to enjoy this, not some connection to a Cable Company?

+ three2oneContact on October 15th, 2011 at 1:49 am said:

The app is not worth free IMO. It lags horribly after about a period and a half. From what I read all over the forums it’s not isolated either. Many users say the same thing about the video quality of the streams. Sony needs to fix it’s connection with the NHL streams. I don’t have any issues watching live or recorded games on my PC, but I don’t want to sit in front of my PC to watch hockey. I did actually pay the 9.99 for the app and regret it.

Sony, please fix the app so it works as well as the Netflix app does. Never any streaming issues with Netflix, VUDU, or HULU, why does this app have such a big issue?