No Man's Sky

Rocketbirds: Couch Co-Op Mode Revealed

Sian Yue Tan's Avatar + Posted by Sian Yue Tan on Oct 10, 2011 // Producer and Studio Head

After its triple nomination at the 2010 Independent Games Festival, the Rocketbirds universe is finally approaching release — and only on PSN. Rocketbirds: Hardboiled Chicken takes you on a cinematic platform adventure through Albatropolis. In the single-player mode, you’re Hardboiled Chicken, the original Coq of War, on a mission to hunt down the Penguin’s corrupt leader, Putzki. Along the way you’ll have to kill many Penguins, solve puzzles, incite revolution, and maybe possibly pilot a few jetpacks.

Today I’d like to share a bit about the game’s two-player couch co-op mode, since we are particularly happy with the way it’s turned out. But first, check out some gameplay in our new Rocketbirds co-op video.

We had always wanted a couch co-op mode for the game ever since we started development on the PS3 (because, well, co-op is fun), but didn’t know how and if it would work for our non-scrolling platformer. Simple questions needed answering, such as; “What should happen when one player leaves the current screen the other one is still on it?” After a few quick tests we decided to allow screen changing only when both players exited the screen in the same direction. In the end this allowed us to create some pretty cool new puzzles for the game!

budgies_1budgies_2budgies_3

We also decided to make the characters pint-sized and called them the Budgie commandos (a parakeet is called a “Budgie” in the world of Rocketbirds). When stacked, the Budgie on top becomes the turret (Master-Blaster style), able to piggy-back along while the Budgie on the bottom handles all the running and positioning. When stacked, the Budgie team can reach higher places, which also paves the way for some interesting new combat strategies.

The co-op mechanics worked so well that we ended up creating entirely new puzzles, crazy battles, and a separate back-story just for this 10-chapter mode. In the co-op mode, the General’s daughter has been bird-napped and held ransom by those sneaky, totalitarian Penguins. The dirty half-dozen Budgie commandos have been dispatched into Albatropolis to “find her and bring her back (dramatic pause) alive”.

We’re bringing Rocketbirds: Hardboiled Chicken exclusively to PSN in the US on October 18th. We’ll be back soon with more!

+ Permafry_42 on October 10th, 2011 at 1:18 pm said:

It’s off the posts topic, but since playstation blog hasn’t announced it yet it’s on the topic of playstation blog… Anyways JAK AND DAXTER HD COLLECTION WAS OFFICIALLY ANNOUNCED BY NAUGHTY DOG!!!

+ BreavmanKnows on October 10th, 2011 at 1:19 pm said:

Awesome Names

+ luisfqv21 on October 10th, 2011 at 1:25 pm said:

How much does this game is going to cost $9.99, $15.99 or what??????

+ Sian Yue Tan on October 11th, 2011 at 7:01 am said:

Ah, finally – the red stuff works!
    It’ll be US$11.99 (Euros 8.99) – and we’re taking part in PS Plus!

+ nYcFrEeWiLL82 on October 10th, 2011 at 1:27 pm said:

DAY ONE PURCHASE!!! ESSPECIALLY SINCE ITS BEFORE MY BDAY..YAY..IMA GET MY RHC ON!

+ Sian Yue Tan on October 11th, 2011 at 7:10 am said:

Happy Birthday!

+ ModernYorkster on October 10th, 2011 at 1:31 pm said:

I’ll definitely be purchasing Rocketbirds. Great concept.

+ Joyce139 on October 10th, 2011 at 1:43 pm said:

I cant w8! I jus hope its a full game & not a mini

+ kaa_BOOmmmMMm on October 10th, 2011 at 1:58 pm said:

looks good but I promised all my money to Batman.

+ Shinmigami on October 10th, 2011 at 2:00 pm said:

Here is hoping for a discount for plus members.

+ Sian Yue Tan on October 11th, 2011 at 7:12 am said:

Yes, first week – Plus members get discount.

+ stlthriot on October 10th, 2011 at 2:01 pm said:

So, the co-op levels and story are different than if you play the single player game?

+ Sian Yue Tan on October 11th, 2011 at 7:15 am said:

Both SP and Co-Op campaigns play out in Albatropolis, but the story and mission objectives and puzzles are different.

+ infamousXX87XX on October 10th, 2011 at 2:06 pm said:

looks good

+ Exypher on October 10th, 2011 at 2:09 pm said:

Sideway: New York tomorrow, Rocketbirds next week, I love PSN.

+ Mega-Sackman on October 10th, 2011 at 2:23 pm said:

Count me in for this!! i can say Coq very well!!!!
I

+ Motherboop on October 10th, 2011 at 2:30 pm said:

This game has a platinum!

+ Sian Yue Tan on October 11th, 2011 at 7:15 am said:

Good luck gettin’it…. heheh….

+ dacuad on October 10th, 2011 at 2:38 pm said:

great! it has couch co-op!! sometimes the companies forget that we have real friends

+ burningwind on October 10th, 2011 at 2:44 pm said:

What would PETA say? Haha.

+ Sian Yue Tan on October 11th, 2011 at 11:05 am said:

Let’s fight for the rights of oppressed chickens and budgies!

+ tylerh1701 on October 10th, 2011 at 2:46 pm said:

Albatropolis and Coq of War! Excellent names!

@8 There will be a 20% discount for PS+

+ Cyb3rfr34k-iso on October 10th, 2011 at 2:53 pm said:

wait, no coop online…?
that makes NO SENSE!

+ Sian Yue Tan on October 11th, 2011 at 8:14 am said:

Hmmm… Lemme try and explain… Here goes:

We really wanted to build on the cinematic platforming genre – these are games such as the Original Prince of Persia series, Flashback, Blackthorne, the original Oddworld series (to name a few). Unfortunately, the genre and some of the cool advantages they had have become a bit lost in today’s games. One of their strengths was their single screen exploratory nature. They are sadistically addictive because of this.

Those games were also single player games, so we wanted to experiment with how two people could explore our world using a single screen and explore it screen-by-screen to stay true to the genre… we came up with some pretty nifty puzzles and I think it worked out really well!

+ FR0STYdaD0P3MANN on October 10th, 2011 at 2:58 pm said:

im sorry but this sh** looks whackk !!!! no buy for me, not my type of game…

+ Psicocrusher on October 10th, 2011 at 3:06 pm said:

I’ll be purchasing Rocketbirds! This game is making me crazy!

+ FORMIK on October 10th, 2011 at 3:18 pm said:

I wonder if there was any consideration for friendly fire? This looks cool.

Rated M by the Vegan Entertainment Software Ratings Board.

+ QuantumMercury on October 10th, 2011 at 3:24 pm said:

I am buying this because it has a platinum trophy. That’s right.

+ Cedge410 on October 10th, 2011 at 3:37 pm said:

Free for plus :o) Tht would be sweet

+ FourUp2358 on October 10th, 2011 at 3:50 pm said:

Maybe…

+ MrMondayNighttt on October 10th, 2011 at 3:51 pm said:

How About ONLINE COOP MODE!!!! Come on its 2011 Give us the convenience of Online COOP play with our friends Please!!

+ wolfzero1 on October 10th, 2011 at 4:05 pm said:

looks pretty good, definite day one purchase

+ SHINSPIKES on October 10th, 2011 at 4:30 pm said:

Online co op? Please be online.

+ MadMeat001 on October 10th, 2011 at 5:52 pm said:

aah this is gonna be so fun, adult-swim style game about shooting chicken in a 2D side scroller game this generation rocks

+ WoundedUnderwear on October 10th, 2011 at 6:51 pm said:

Hope there’s a demo. Look okay, nothing special.

+ Sian Yue Tan on October 11th, 2011 at 8:19 am said:

There will be a demo and it will contain both Single Player and Co-op mode for people to try.

+ Velkrio on October 10th, 2011 at 7:05 pm said:

i also like games like this even though i’m a hardcore mw2 shooter type lol… day 1 for me 2, well if payday still haven’t launch till then…

+ D-Squad3 on October 10th, 2011 at 7:08 pm said:

How much?

+ WFMMK on October 10th, 2011 at 8:26 pm said:

Just release it already! I wish to pay and play now!

+ Sian Yue Tan on October 11th, 2011 at 8:22 am said:

We can’t wait to launch this. It’s been hard work and I think I can see some light at the end of the tunnel…

Right now working on the launch trailer – anything in particular any of you’d like to see? Heheh… I still have a day to include it :-)

+ KidNT9 on October 10th, 2011 at 9:20 pm said:

This game looks pretty sweet, I’m hoping for a demo to try out before I buy it (which I just might just do instead lol). I’m loving the Only On PSN program, already caught my eye on some great games. Now I’m looking forward to getting SideWay: New York and InFamous 2: Festival of Blood. Keep it up Sony!

+ Fenrisulfr_ on October 10th, 2011 at 10:50 pm said:

Looks like Rush’N Attack but with chickens…

+ that-acmilan-guy on October 11th, 2011 at 5:04 am said:

I was sold the moment I had the first glimpse of the trailer long time ago. The game looks amazing, love the art. Also I love chicken and I hate those annoying penguins!

Something tells me if I try to hard boil Mr. Hard Bboiled here, I am the one who will end up in the pan :(

+ Sian Yue Tan on October 11th, 2011 at 8:51 am said:

Hahah… Hardboiled’s so tough, he’d probably thank you for drawing his bath!

+ StackedPancakes on October 11th, 2011 at 9:39 am said:

any type of co-op should have an option of online capability. “cool advantages” or not.
i do want this game, but the offline co-op is a big disappointment.
I’m looking at you ‘Dead Block’.
and congrats on including a platinum.

+ Sian Yue Tan on October 11th, 2011 at 10:56 am said:

We had fun thinkin’ up the trophies – hope you’ll enjoy collecting them!

+ mgsnull617 on October 11th, 2011 at 9:42 am said:

Rocketbirds verse Shank2 whose gonna win?

+ Sian Yue Tan on October 11th, 2011 at 10:48 am said:

Let me ask you this – Which one survived being boiled as a fetus?

+ kabirdsall14 on October 11th, 2011 at 12:55 pm said:

Sian, Since you now have dealt with chickens and stuff,
Which came first. Egg or Chicken?

+ renssen on October 11th, 2011 at 2:31 pm said:

Whats the name of the song used in the trailer? Is there a link somewhere on it where you can find it at all?

+ Sian Yue Tan on October 11th, 2011 at 4:57 pm said:

It’s called “Stars & Snakes” – also by New World Revolution

+ SHINSPIKES on October 11th, 2011 at 3:23 pm said:

Your game looks tight, I really want to support your game. But I need online co op. So no buy for me.

+ DZORMAGEN on October 11th, 2011 at 10:01 pm said:

People that are crying about on-line co-op really need to grow up, and better yet try to find a friend!

+ mgsnull617 on October 12th, 2011 at 8:58 am said:

I support you and your crew……Coming from someone who creates platform games……good job and best of luck

+ renssen on October 12th, 2011 at 1:27 pm said:

Sian I hate to bother you more about this, but do you know perhaps where I can find that song on the web? I have checked alot of sites but i couldn´t find it. Thanks

+ Go_Buddie_Go on October 15th, 2011 at 12:47 am said:

I really like the art style and animation for the characters especially when they piggyback each other, I find it oddly cute xD Imma make my room mates play this game with me! Hope to see more Rocketbirds titles in the future?