PS4 - Destiny

Get Ready: PS Vita is Coming February 22nd

Jack Tretton's Avatar + Posted by Jack Tretton on Oct 18, 2011 // President & CEO

This afternoon on stage at the Web 2.0 Summit in San Francisco, I shared some very exciting news that I know the PlayStation Nation has been anticipating since we unveiled PlayStation Vita back in January. For those looking to get their hands on the ultimate in handheld entertainment, I’m thrilled to let you know that starting on February 22, 2012, PS Vita will be available at major retailers in the United States, Canada, Latin America, and Europe.

PlayStation Vita North America 3G packaging

Our first-party studios and an army of publishing partners have been extremely hard at work to ensure that PS Vita launches with a vast library of titles that deliver unique gameplay experiences that go beyond any handheld or mobile device on the market. We have more than 100 games currently in development globally that span many different genres, including Sound Shapes, Resistance: Burning Skies, Uncharted Golden Abyss, Capcom’s Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3, Ubisoft’s Assassin’s Creed, EA Sports’ FIFA, Activision’s Call of Duty, and numerous others that you’ll hear about in the months ahead.

I’ve had the chance to spend some time with several of these titles and I think you’ll be blown away by how each takes advantage of the technology packed into PS Vita to deliver amazing gaming experiences. With its vibrant 5-inch OLED screen, dual analog sticks, dual cameras, and front and rear touch panel, PS Vita will deliver rich, immersive games with stunning graphics, which simply can’t be found anywhere else. Now you’ll be able to play shooters and action titles on-the-go with controls that are familiar, and you won’t have to block out the gorgeous screen to interact with the games.

In addition to the deep portfolio of games, you’ll also have access to native social applications – near and Party – that help you connect with your friends and fellow PS Vita owners. We also recently announced that PS Vita will have your favorite social networking applications like Facebook, foursquare, Skype, and Twitter, so you can share and connect with friends. With PS Vita, you can enjoy the best handheld gaming experience available and stay connected to the people and interests you care about.

It’s never been a better time to be a part of PlayStation Nation and I can’t wait for you to experience this revolutionary handheld system. Stay tuned for more exciting updates as we near the February 22, 2012 launch!

380 Comments

PAGE 1 5 6 7 8

+ bisco1405 on October 18th, 2011 at 11:41 pm said:

Sweet, I’m not going to spend my money starting January until February 22 =)

+ Kakashi00521 on October 18th, 2011 at 11:42 pm said:

Jeez, guys. I’m just gonna go to Japan to get it way earlier.

+ most_notorius300 on October 19th, 2011 at 12:12 am said:

thought i would be getting this as a christmas gift to myself but looks like its gunna by birthday present to myself either way imma enjoy this bad boy. Cant wait!!! Day 1 purchase

+ iTofuMan on October 19th, 2011 at 12:17 am said:

Great news! i just hope you (Sony) treats it a WHOLE lot better than you guys did with psp. i mean look at how you guys treat it now (mainly psp go users) we barely get anything released on the psn store, and when we ask anything about it we never get any answers.

Plus i love how the box says memory card required, but its not included. seriously? the launched psp came with memory cards you guys couldnt do it this time? why? Also if there any bundles coming out (kinda like how you guys did with the launch for the psp)

+ AizawaYuuichi on October 19th, 2011 at 12:40 am said:

Awesome! I got an email while I was at work announcing this. And it looked like Gravity Rush and Wipeout 2048 are both going to be launch titles. This is going to be awesome. Paid for and waiting!

+ DrPhiill on October 19th, 2011 at 12:58 am said:

Had it pre-orded since day 1, cant wait to get my hands on this piece of great gaming! SONY TAKE MY MONEY!

+ memortally on October 19th, 2011 at 1:03 am said:

Sony , Sony , Sony …

I CAN`T WAIT .. i think my excitement bit different from folks in the US . i am from Turkey / istanbul and never been in console launch . Next month i will be in states for the first time ever in my life (Arizona/Phoenix) and i plan to come to NY city (if US premiere in there) for launch and wait in the line

Hope i can make my dream

Just what i need to know which city and where is premiere launch of Vita couse after i know that i need to buy fly ticket and get ready PLEASE SONY HELP ME FOR MAKING MY DREAM HAPPEN – when you are going to give information about when is premire and in which city (hope it`s not going to announce before a week :( )

+ Emerald_Swords on October 19th, 2011 at 1:19 am said:

Got mine pre-ordered..so excited!!

+ Carl-G on October 19th, 2011 at 2:03 am said:

Cool;) I hope it does well to. It should do because it really does look amazing :P

+ dimy93 on October 19th, 2011 at 2:51 am said:

btw good date 22.02.2012 :D

+ JEZ03MAG on October 19th, 2011 at 3:32 am said:

cuanto va a costar en argentina tienen idea?

+ Family_Guy77 on October 19th, 2011 at 3:35 am said:

I CANT WAIRT FOR WIPEOUT 2048!!!

+ knicksrulez220 on October 19th, 2011 at 5:49 am said:

While it sucks that its not coming out during the holidays (so I could get it sooner) this is probably for the better.
Hopefully more quality launch titles will be out by Feb. Just look at the 3DS. It wasn’t doing so hot at first because software sells hardware. So it’s better to make sure the games will be good when the Vita comes out.

+ wolverinevsx23 on October 19th, 2011 at 5:58 am said:

I do have AT&T as a provider and will not be getting this for the reason…3G. By Feb. 22nd 3G will be obsolete and 4G will be the new standard. By then something better than 4G will be out. Sony should put the few dollars at make it 4G then it will be worthwhile. It’s pointless to sell something knowing it’s obsolete. Come on Sony…

+ NO_FEAR on October 19th, 2011 at 6:02 am said:

Febuary will be a chilly wait. This is how we seperate the real gamers in NH. With only the warmth of your battery and the glow of the screen to light the dark night.

+ dmanjj2 on October 19th, 2011 at 6:07 am said:

Gonna be amazing tech. Ive always had Nintendo handhelds starting from the DS. I never owned a PSP before, so this is gonna be a huge step forward for me! Cant wait to play it and learn more about its online features!

+ Crashma on October 19th, 2011 at 6:43 am said:

Yes this is such exciting news. I can’t wait for this to come out and the best part about it is that it comes out exactly 8 days after my birthday so I will just save the money I have from my birthday and get it. But I really don’t need to get the $300 one though mainly because I don’t have AT&T and because I heard you can only download 20 MB of data while you are using the 3G on it anyway now if they increased the amount you can download and maybe add some 4G to the mix then I would consider buying the $300 one. But back to the release….AHEM…..I SO HAPPY ITS COMING OUT AT THIS TIME THOUGH. I can’t wait to play LittleBigPlanet, Wipeout 2048, Reality Fighters, Super Monkey Ball, (Possibly Sonic Generations), Street Fighter X Tekken, and Uncharted: Golden Abyss with PS3 graphics on the go! Go Playstation!!!!

+ Explosio5 on October 19th, 2011 at 6:53 am said:

AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

+ Elvick_ on October 19th, 2011 at 7:50 am said:

2nd best day of 2011. First being the day Journey will release.

+ Elvick_ on October 19th, 2011 at 7:50 am said:

Bah, 2012***

+ djnealb on October 19th, 2011 at 8:15 am said:

I’ll probably be asking for this for my bday in May. I’ll specifically be asking for the Wifi only model, also. The 3G model is completely STUPID. You’re restricted to using Satan..I mean AT&T for the 3G plus there’s a download cap of only 20Mb. Just a waste of 50 bucks in my opinion.

+ mgsnull617 on October 19th, 2011 at 8:45 am said:

Is Vita in 3d or do we pay seperate 6months later like Iphone4s did

+ mgsnull617 on October 19th, 2011 at 8:47 am said:

Is it a 3d system yes or no?

+ blueDragon666 on October 19th, 2011 at 8:59 am said:

So who is the canadian provider for the 3G model?

ill so be pre ordering this with Bday/xmas money in December!

+ shades909 on October 19th, 2011 at 9:04 am said:

Good news now i only have to wait for Febuary 2012 before i buy the Vita and have some games i will like.

@mgsnull617 no

@blueDragon666 most likely AT&$ like in the US

+ yellowkillsteveC on October 19th, 2011 at 9:06 am said:

IM SO BUYING THIS DAY ONE!!if i only had one choice for a game i can buy for the vita on day one it would probable be LBP vita!it seems like such a perfect fit!!!!

+ TheExiled12894 on October 19th, 2011 at 9:16 am said:

AWESOME.

First Day Buy for me

+ gus_xl on October 19th, 2011 at 9:19 am said:

Thanks for the update. Really looking forward to it.

+ BigPoppaChunk on October 19th, 2011 at 9:36 am said:

dear sony, thank you !!

two questions

#1 do you know the games price point

#2 do you know the memory card prices

+ TIDUSFOREVERX2 on October 19th, 2011 at 10:26 am said:

I am so happy to hear that we will receive a February release. I can start pushing it with a solid date to the customers where I work.

The only major info I still want is the agreement details with AT&T… Will they allow for 3G time cards much like the DoCoMo time cards being issued in Japan. That would be in my opinion, the best possible option for people in the U.S. because it wouldn’t force those to pay large monthly subscriptions in order to access the 3G capabilities. I assume this would be possible because in theory, as I understand it, we would only be using their network and not their phone framework. I can see people coming into my store and picking up a 500 minute time card, entering the code and being done. I have a hard time believing that parents would be willing to take on an additional bill every month, in addition to their child’s phone bill.

I would also like to get confirmation on weather or not PlayStation Plus will have additional PSVITA content. With Cross-Saving in mind I assume that one will have to have plus to access this option.

I love the PSVITA already, and I know without a doubt that it is going to change the way we live, play, and move.

+ wildcatpilot on October 19th, 2011 at 10:49 am said:

Two questions:
Will be able to read PDFs and will it eventually have a Kindle or Nook app?

+ mikedo2007 on October 19th, 2011 at 10:53 am said:

I heard about this and this is awesome!!! So we get this not too long after the Japanese release, I hope our Japanese breathren can give us an insight how the Vita play out.

+ BlueBl1zzard on October 19th, 2011 at 11:21 am said:

Thank you Sony!!!!!!!!

I’ll be getting the 3G model just in case you eventually have 3G plans with Verizon.

Mark your calendars people!!

+ phillip417ph on October 19th, 2011 at 12:05 pm said:

Great now I can at least accept the release date
Was mad when it was changed to march

+ leo9891 on October 19th, 2011 at 12:09 pm said:

I love everything Sony has to offer for this bad boy and all their other products! Just one thing, please make multiple colors available! I know a ton a people would love it!

Black, White, Red, Blue, Silver, Green, Orange, Gold, Flat/Matte Black, Purple, Pink.

IDK, but I would love one in maybe Flat/Matte Black, or Red or Blue… Maybe White since I didn’t own a PSP1000 or PSP2000 in White. Just had the Original Flat Black PSP1000, and a Piano Black PSP2000, a Silver PSP2000, and the GoW Kratos Red PSP2000.

I WANT COLORS!!!!! :)

+ Benmo316 on October 19th, 2011 at 12:21 pm said:

Feb 22 is a great release date. It’s just the right amount of time after the holiday season. I can play all of these fall release games and will have time to save up for the Vita. Thanks Jack!

+ Hitmanwwe on October 19th, 2011 at 1:00 pm said:

AWWWwww Snaple!!! i was hoping it was coming out for Christmas i was planing on buying 3 as a Christmas present :( o well i can wait!!!

+ therob21 on October 19th, 2011 at 1:36 pm said:

Cool! I want a Vita too! :P Definitely buying it!!

+ stewbrew on October 19th, 2011 at 1:48 pm said:

yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah.
i have been wanting this so bad I have been reading about this ever since they announced it and now i have to suffer 4 more months:(

+ BlueBl1zzard on October 19th, 2011 at 2:15 pm said:

@leo9891

These were shown off at the Tokyo Game Show 2011 but I don’t know if they will be coming to North America, Europe, etc.

+ XLR8WE on October 19th, 2011 at 3:50 pm said:

Yes, been waiting for a clarified date. Good thing i pre-ordered it a GameStop 3 months ago!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

+ subtbmw123 on October 19th, 2011 at 4:38 pm said:

aye the psvita is cmng up i will be putting over 500 dollars on my playstation netwrok account to buy digital comics and movies and games and great videos yesyesyesyesyes and yay sony

+ deuce1008 on October 19th, 2011 at 4:59 pm said:

4 days before my son’s bday. One month after mine. DONE DEAL!!

+ lisco2000 on October 19th, 2011 at 5:24 pm said:

I cant wait till its in my hand long live PS Vita

+ JuS_bLaYzE on October 19th, 2011 at 5:28 pm said:

i wonder how much the sprint plan is going to cost a month?

+ Williamsky on October 19th, 2011 at 5:45 pm said:

Hope it can play NHL Center Ice that would be a nice extra.

+ cod4_blink182 on October 19th, 2011 at 7:07 pm said:

Late but i can wait:)

+ MayaYukihime on October 19th, 2011 at 9:18 pm said:

This is where my xmas money is gonna go =D

+ Tridrakious on October 19th, 2011 at 10:19 pm said:

SWEET!!!!!! I can’t wait!

PAGE 1 5 6 7 8