PS4 - Batman Arkham Knight

3D Display Arrives in November, Read the FAQ

Sid Shuman's Avatar + Posted by Sid Shuman on Oct 19, 2011 // Senior Manager, Social Media

3D Gaming Display

When PlayStation unveiled the 3D Display at this year’s E3, it provoked excitement among PS3 owners as well as many, many questions. We can now put one of those questions to bed: You’ll be able to pick up the 3D Display when it’s widely available this November 13th.

With the launch date drawing near, we’ve sought answers to many of your in-depth questions. Read on to learn much, much more about PlayStation’s first official gaming display. If we’ve missed any questions, be sure to let us know in the comments!

Will you be picking up the 3D Display this November?

General Questions

When will the 3D Display be available?
The 3D Display will be widely available on November 13, 2011.

I pre-ordered the PlayStation 3D Display from a retailer that was offering a free copy of Resistance 3, but I notice that the promotion is no longer being promoted on the website. Am I still getting Resistance 3 for free?
Yes. If you pre-ordered the PlayStation 3D Display from a retailer that advertised a free copy of Resistance 3 on or before September 30, 2011, you will still be getting a copy of the game with your shipment. The offer officially ended on October 1st, 2011 and that’s the reason retailers had taken down the promotion from their website.

What do I get in the box?
The 3D Display was made to play 3D games right out of the box. For the MSRP of $499.99, you get the 3D Display, one pair of 3D Glasses, MotorStorm Apocalypse Blu-ray game, and an HDMI cable. All you need to do is hook up your PS3 system and you’re ready to go.

Does the 3D Display work in normal 2D mode?
Yes. You can choose to play games and watch movies in regular high-definition 2D.

What’s the difference between Active 3D technology used on the 3D Display and Passive 3D technology used on Passive 3D displays?
The most notable difference between the two is the 3D resolution. With active 3D, you get full HD 3D playback. With passive 3D, you will get half the resolution. Active 3D displays require active 3D glasses and passive 3D displays require polarized passive 3D glasses. The 3D Display supports active 3D and the highest resolution.

What 3D games are available right now on the PS3 system?

Technical Specifications

What inputs and outputs does the 3D Display support?
The 3D Display features two HDMI 1.4 inputs and one component cable input, plus a stereo headphone output.

3D Display by SCE

What does Edge LED backlighting and 240Hz refresh rate mean?
Edge LED backlighting offers improved contrast and brightness relative to normal (CCFL) LCD displays. Additionally, the technology allows for a super slim design. 240Hz is currently the best-in-class refresh rate. With such a high refresh rate, you get reduced crosstalk in 3D mode, which realizes clear 3D images.

What does the integrated subwoofer do? Is the built-in sound superior to comparable displays?
The 3D Display’s integrated subwoofer enhances low-frequency audio, giving an extra kick to bass-filled sound effects. This means that booming explosions, growling demons, and throaty engines will sound more immersive compared to the tinny audio provided by many display speakers. You can also connect a stereo headphone jack and use your favorite pair of stereo headphones, or use the new Wireless Stereo Headset that interfaces directly with your PS3.

3D Display by PlayStation: Two-player mode3D Display by PlayStation: Two-player mode

3D Display by PlayStation: Two-player mode

SimulView Questions

What is the advantage of SimulView?
This special two-player feature is unique to the 3D Display in that it significantly enhances two-player mode in select games. Ordinarily, two-player mode is played in split-screen format. With this unique two-player feature, each player gets their own full (2D) HD screen while wearing the 3D Glasses for the 3D Display.

Can I use SimulView with other Sony 3D TVs?
At this time, the 3D Display is the only display on the market that supports the SimulView two-player gaming feature.

What will I need to play a game with this special two-player feature?
The 3D Display, two pairs of 3D Glasses for the 3D Display, a PS3 system, a PS3 game that supports the special two-player feature, and a buddy.

What games support the SimulView feature as of launch? Will future games support SimulView?
At launch, you’ll be able to play MotorStorm Apocalypse, Gran Turismo 5, Killzone 3, and Super Stardust HD. We’ll have more titles to share soon.

Do both players need to use the new 3D Glasses for SimulView to work?
Yes. Each player will need to have a pair of the 3D Glasses for the 3D Display as these are currently the only 3D glasses available that support SimulView.

Do you expect that any existing games will be updated to add SimulView support?
Yes. We are continuing to evaluate all games that would be candidates for SimulView and working individually with each respective development team to determine if enabling SimulView makes sense.

Will the 3D Display work with anything other than my PS3 system?
Absolutely. While the 3D Display is optimized for any HD gaming console, it features three HD inputs (two HDMI, one component) that allow you to connect to your PS3 system, cable TV box, and PC. You can also connect your PS2 and PSP using their component video output..

What resolutions does the 3D Display support?
Any resolution up to and including 1080p (1920 x 1080 progressive scan).

3D Glasses by SCE

3D Glasses Questions

Why are the new 3D Glasses better than current offerings?
The 3D Glasses are noticeably lighter and less obtrusive than existing active 3D glasses. Due to advancements in 3D technology they also suffer from less “crosstalk” in 3D images. They also feature an integrated rechargeable battery that you can charge using the included micro-USB cable instead of installing a new battery. The new 3D Glasses also support the SimulView feature, which enables two players to enjoy their own full (2D) screen while wearing the 3D Glasses for the 3D Display in supported games. Finally, retailing at $69.99, the PlayStation 3D Glasses are more affordable than most Active 3D glasses on the market.

Are the new 3D Glasses universal?
Yes. The new 3D Glasses are universally compatible with Sony, Samsung, Panasonic, Mitsubishi, Toshiba, and Sharp ACTIVE Shutter 3D ready displays that use IR emitters; however, we do not guarantee its performance on other TV/monitors.

How fast do the built-in rechargeable batteries charge?
The glasses are fully rechargeable via the included micro-USB cable. If you need a quick charge, three minutes of charge will get you approximately three hours of 3D play. If you want a full charge, 30 minutes of charge will get you approximately 30 hours of 3D play.

What is crosstalk and how do the 3D Glasses minimize crosstalk?
Crosstalk is 3D distortion that occurs when active 3D glasses are not communicating properly with the 3D display. This occurs most often when a user is watching 3D content and the glasses are not in a “normal” viewing angle (for example if you’re laying down on the couch sideways and your head is tilted). With the 240Hz refresh on 3D Display and 3D Glasses, this effect is minimized.

Are these 3D Glasses meant only for gaming?
No, they excel with 3D content of all types. While the glasses have been optimized for the 3D gaming experience, they offer best-in-class 3D quality.

What do the buttons on the 3D Glasses do?
You can turn on the 3D Glasses by simply sliding the battery switch on, which appears on the front inner right ear piece. Once the glasses are on, and you’re playing a SimulView-enabled game, you can switch between the 1st player and 2nd player view at any time by pressing the small circular power button, which appears on the top of the glasses above your nose bridge. If you hold the small circle power button for several seconds, you will power down the glasses.

Directly to the right of the small circle power button lies the micro-USB port, which enables you to recharge the glasses.

Further Questions

When it will be available to pre-order in Canada? (via @zantes)
It’s currently available for pre-order in Canada at participating retailers.

Does it have a TV tuner? (via @Super_Bundy)
The 3D Display is not equipped with an internal TV tuner or antenna, though it will support video input from an HDMI- or component-compatible cable box. Contact your local cable provider for technical specifics related to receiving television programming.

Will the 3D Display work with 3D PC games? (via @PepsiCat321)
Yes. The only requirement is that the output from the PC needs to be HDMI standard format.

How adjustable is the stand for the 3D Display? (via @jll544)
The 3D Display can be titled backward by 10 degrees.

Will he 3D Display support the new PS3 Remote Control? (via @BigE559)
Yes. It will support the new PS3 Remote Control.

When using SimulView, are the two images displayed in 3D for each viewer? (via @TheReal_JohnnyX)
The two images are in fullscreen 2D. The 3D technology is used to separate the image into two distinct 2D views.

Does the 3D Display feature wall-mounting brackets? (via @Percio78)
No. The design does not accommodate a wall-mounting bracket.

Does the 3D Display come with a remote for controlling volume or selecting inputs? (via @sonicsam66)
No. The display has integrated controls on the back of the panel, but does not include a remote. It does, however, support the new PS3 Remote Control.

Can I use another gaming console on the 3D Display?
Yes. The 3D Display supports any HD gaming console.

Will there be bigger screen sizes available in the future?
PlayStation is evaluating different possibilities, but there is nothing to share at this time.

What about the availability of the 3D display outside of the US? (via @nicksak)
The PlayStation 3D Display will be available in Canada, Europe, and key areas of Asia, including Japan.

Does the 3D Display require a separate 3D emitter?
No, you will not need to purchase a separate 3D emitter. The 3D Display features a built-in 3D emitter that integrates seamlessly with the unit – you won’t even know it’s there.

PAGE 1 2 3

+ Bilsebob on October 19th, 2011 at 7:15 am said:

I have mine pre-ordered. I just have one question: can I connect some sort of T.V. tuner up to it or my computer?

Sid Shuman's Avatar

+ Abby Reyes on October 19th, 2011 at 3:52 pm said:

Yes, as long as the output on the TV tuner is HDMI or component.

+ MarkakaJin on October 19th, 2011 at 7:20 am said:

One thing I’d like to know is that if Sony’s 3D glasses are safe to use for someone like me who has prescription glasses. Even though I’m not into all this 3D stuff, I still like to have a personal home 3D experience.

+ remanutd5 on October 19th, 2011 at 7:22 am said:

well hopefully this will increase motorstorm apocalypse online players , i thought it supported Resistance 3 simultaneous view too , oh well

+ Myke-Myke on October 19th, 2011 at 7:22 am said:

Good deal!

Only if it was a 32-inch, I would of jumped on this.

Oh well, more money to save for the Vita!

+ Dosx001 on October 19th, 2011 at 7:23 am said:

I think this tv go to 240Hz if so will it automatically go down to 60Hz when you play a game(this is a gaming tv right we have should a prefect experience for gaming no) or can we do it manual our self?

+ TwinDad on October 19th, 2011 at 7:34 am said:

This is not a TV it is a display. If you expect to get OTAR TV you will be sadly disappointed.

@BLisebob. Yes you can get an external tuner as long as the output of the tuner matches the TV inputs.

@Markakajin. I wear glasses and the Sony TV 3D glasses work just fine. Depending on the size of their glasses and yours it might not be comfortable for long term. But I have had an issue yet.

+ MarkakaJin on October 19th, 2011 at 7:38 am said:

@TwinDad: Thanks a bunch. That’s what I really want to know the most.

+ Wipeoutt31 on October 19th, 2011 at 7:44 am said:

It has a built in stereo headphone output. Why can’t other TVs have this feature. Come on!

+ madecrazy on October 19th, 2011 at 7:49 am said:

dang’t this would be an instant buy if uncharted 3 was simulview

+ KellyJaye on October 19th, 2011 at 7:50 am said:

Any possibility you are working on larger versions of this? I would hate to downgrade from my 40″ just for 3D. I really do want a 3D tv for games but 3D or not, I really cant justify spending that kind of money on something smaller than what I am already use to.

Sid Shuman's Avatar

+ Abby Reyes on October 19th, 2011 at 3:53 pm said:

We have no plans to announce right now. The PlayStation 3D Display is meant to be used in a personal space such as a bedroom or office.

+ sabot37 on October 19th, 2011 at 7:53 am said:

So is that new PS3 Remote Control out yet? I’ve seen pictures but all retailers still list the old model

Sid Shuman's Avatar

+ Abby Reyes on October 19th, 2011 at 3:54 pm said:

Yes, it has been shipped out to all major retailers and should be widely available by the end of October.

+ dtorres17 on October 19th, 2011 at 7:54 am said:

price?

Sid Shuman's Avatar

+ Abby Reyes on October 19th, 2011 at 3:54 pm said:

MSRP $499

+ Nuurgle on October 19th, 2011 at 8:01 am said:

No wall mount options and the lack of any sort of basic remote control is just sad. For the $500 asking price, I would think basic commodities would be included. It would seem they skipped these for the advanced stuff instead.

+ WhiplashCC on October 19th, 2011 at 8:04 am said:

Can I connect my MacBook to the display? Other displays have limited compatibility with Mac OS X, so this would really help me finalize by buying decision.

Sid Shuman's Avatar

+ Abby Reyes on October 19th, 2011 at 3:55 pm said:

Yes, you will need a Mini DisplayPort to HDMI adaptor. Also, you will need a separate 3.5mm male to male audio cable to connect your MacBook to the 3D Display to play back audio as DVI only transmits video and not audio.

+ D-Squad3 on October 19th, 2011 at 8:27 am said:

TOO expensive! $499 for 24″? Gotta wait longer for 3D to drop in price.

+ Sembazuru on October 19th, 2011 at 8:45 am said:

I have a couple questions:

* Do the 3D glasses conform to the Universal 3D Glasses specification that you (Sony) have been working on with Panasonic, Samsung, and XpanD? http://www.pcworld.com/article/237512/universal_3d_glasses_are_near.html Obviously the SimulView feature would be an extension in addition to any other specification…

* For those of us who want to play on larger screens, are there any plans to implement SimulView in Bravia sets (either on new models, or via firmware update to existing models)? And/or, would you license the SimulView technology to other display manufacturers?

+ blueDragon666 on October 19th, 2011 at 8:51 am said:

Damnit… no red yellow white jacks… ill pass. I wont be able to use my Wii on it =/ plus its to small!

+ Powie on October 19th, 2011 at 9:05 am said:

Sure hope you will be adding the SimulView to other Sony 3D TV’s like the KDL-55HX820 which I just got!! :)

+ ChaseHammerJ on October 19th, 2011 at 9:05 am said:

lol sorry, cant go from 47″ to a 24″.

+ mJ_mSv on October 19th, 2011 at 9:05 am said:

Nice, I just see you pointed out that SimulView vill only be usable on THIS display, this means that no other current 3D tv’s can handle this right?, and they will not either in future?, meaning I have to wait for new certified models to support this feature in the future if I want this feature on a bigger screen?, as I want minimum 55″ when I will buy, but I would like to get SimulView working on it aswell, so If I understand right I’m better off waiting for some 3D models start supporting it so I do not waste my money and need to buy a completly new one to support this feature?

Sid Shuman's Avatar

+ Abby Reyes on October 19th, 2011 at 3:58 pm said:

At our launch date of November 13, 2011, the PlayStation 3D Display will be the only display that supports SimulView technology.

+ DarKaoZ on October 19th, 2011 at 9:08 am said:

Do you guys how the reaction time on this TV is? How much latency does it has?

I ask because this is really important to me for certain game, specially fighters and music games.

+ TheTwelve on October 19th, 2011 at 9:20 am said:

I will look forward to a bigger version.

+ big_e559 on October 19th, 2011 at 9:20 am said:

the size is the only con to me, but it has many pros. But seeing as how it does not come with a remote controller, will it support Bavia sync? That way it will turn on/off at the same time as the PS3.

Sid Shuman's Avatar

+ Abby Reyes on October 19th, 2011 at 3:58 pm said:

No, the PlayStation 3D Display does not support Bravia Sync.

+ big_e559 on October 19th, 2011 at 9:22 am said:

And I still have it pre-ordered and plan on purchasing it, but I would hate buying it just to find out a short time later that it will come out with a larger screen.

+ Mythodix on October 19th, 2011 at 9:29 am said:

I hope this doesn’t have input lag or I’m going to be extremely angry and probably harass the crap out of tech support…lol

+ Curtisio on October 19th, 2011 at 9:29 am said:

I’d love a 3D monitor and the price is right. Only issue is the speakers make the monitor too wide and won’t fix my TV/Monitor space on my desk. I currently have a 24 inch monitor with a little room left to spare.

That is my comment why I can’t get this monitor. I hope in the future the width of the monitor can be reduced.

Thank you.

+ big_e559 on October 19th, 2011 at 9:30 am said:

Oh and wasn’t this article supposed to be posted as a video?

+ LeweiSe on October 19th, 2011 at 9:30 am said:

I already have 2 3D LED displays in my home a 46″ in my room and a 65″ in my leavingroom I was looking foward to the 3D glasses to do SimulView with but I guess that was shatterd, don’t really wanted to go from a 46″ or 65″ to a 24″ just for the SimulView. I’ll still pick up a pair of 3D glasses and see how the fair on my TV’s.

+ crusher915 on October 19th, 2011 at 9:39 am said:

“A full list of currently available 3D games is available here. Check back soon — it’s updated frequently!” u need to update it lol

+ lisatsunami on October 19th, 2011 at 9:41 am said:

Nice, but I opted for a 46″ Bravia HX929 which is even more freakin’ awesome. ICO in 3D was incredible.

+ xxThe_Fuhrer-xx on October 19th, 2011 at 9:42 am said:

I remember hearing about this in the Sony Press Conference at E3 in June 2011. It still looks cool but I won’t be getting it on Nov. Maybe I’ll get it later on since I would love to see the PS3 games in 3D.

+ ShadowSkill11 on October 19th, 2011 at 10:05 am said:

Does this tv have a feature to combat the darkening effect that many 3D tv’s get when showing 3D media?

Sid Shuman's Avatar

+ Abby Reyes on October 19th, 2011 at 3:58 pm said:

You can manually adjust the brightness.

+ neostardust on October 19th, 2011 at 10:17 am said:

Well this might be a small question on the side… but will there a stand like the one shown on the trailer for the display? I’d really want one for this display because my table is sorta low.. and that sort of stand would really come in handy. Just asking, thanks.

Sid Shuman's Avatar

+ Abby Reyes on October 19th, 2011 at 3:59 pm said:

No. You will need to purchase a display stand separately.

+ cwsluke on October 19th, 2011 at 10:22 am said:

Have a 22″ BRAVIA and this would be an awesome replacement! Now I just need to save some $$….

+ xjordan93 on October 19th, 2011 at 10:25 am said:

not a day one but definitely before end of year

+ badorange on October 19th, 2011 at 10:34 am said:

@blueDragon666 don’t know if you were being sarcastic, but just plug your Yellow into the green jack marked “Y” – it stands for yellow. should work fine.

+ Zezzler on October 19th, 2011 at 10:57 am said:

I have to say that I am very disappointed by the input options. No Composite? No coaxial? and the fact that there is no remote just seems so… disappointing. I realize that things needed to be cut to reduce cost for consumers, but for a TV, it’s very bland.

+ IanSantosBR on October 19th, 2011 at 11:04 am said:

Which the contrast ratio?

+ Joyce139 on October 19th, 2011 at 11:07 am said:

gr8 price but 2 small

+ DarkOne_PR on October 19th, 2011 at 11:10 am said:

i wanted this but 24 inches… mmm nope for me… lets make a deal right now….

32 inches, motorstorm apocalipse and Resistance 3, 2 3D glasses, and the remote controller for the TV

700$$$

+ ShadowSkill11 on October 19th, 2011 at 11:26 am said:

A lot of people who don’t have cable boxes are going to be pissed because they can’t read(I’m sure they’ll blame Sony anyways). This thing has no tuner. It is a monitor NOT a tv.

+ Techni on October 19th, 2011 at 11:29 am said:

Do the HDMI ports require an HDCP compliant device? I’d like to use it as a second PC monitor as well.

+ Techni on October 19th, 2011 at 11:30 am said:

Also, would be nice if it had a USB port to charge the glasses, and a spot for PSeye.

Been trying to suggest it on the share blog for ages but the admins there are extremely lazy.

+ Techni on October 19th, 2011 at 11:32 am said:

“Does the 3D Display support SimulView using two different sources/inputs? (via @DeathByNumbrs)
No. SimulView support is currently limited to a SimulView-enabled game on the PS3.”

That’d be an awesome feature to add via a firmware update, if possible.

+ krae_man on October 19th, 2011 at 11:57 am said:

There is no excuse for not packing in two pairs of glasses with the TV. SimulView is a key selling feature of this TV and requiring people to buy extra stuff to take advantage of it is a poor decision. You should be bundling two pairs of glasses instead of one pair and a game 90% of the people purchasing the TV will either A) already have, or B) not want.

I understand the whole sell stuff a la carte to artificially lower the price stratagy, but again SimulView is a key selling point, everything required(minus a PS3) should be included in the box.

+ JonJonXD on October 19th, 2011 at 12:04 pm said:

This is incredibly detailed. Good job!

For the price, I can’t really say anything bad about this.

+ DevilDriver-339 on October 19th, 2011 at 12:35 pm said:

I can connect the cable to this, and my computer?

+ dmanjj2 on October 19th, 2011 at 12:39 pm said:

Gonna be so cool! Cant wait to get it!

+ Emman_nuel on October 19th, 2011 at 12:42 pm said:

This really tempts me into jumping into the 3D gaming band wagon given that it’s relatively cheap for having 3D at home. However I need to clear some doubts before.

-”With this unique two-player feature, each player gets their own full (2D) HD screen while wearing the 3D Glasses for the 3D Display.”
Am I to understand that SimulView allow 2 players to play in 2D only and not in 3D?

-”For the MSRP of $499.99, you get the 3D Display, one pair of 3D Glasses, MotorStorm Apocalypse Blu-ray game, and an HDMI cable.”
When you are mentioning one pair of 3D glasses, does it mean two units for two persons to wear or what you mean by a pair of 3D Glasses is a single unit?

+ Scaramanga1983 on October 19th, 2011 at 1:12 pm said:

I thought that Resident Evil 5 Gold Edition was 3D enabled, but the game list doesn’t show it.

PAGE 1 2 3