Minecraft PS4

Rainbow Moon: PSN-Exclusive Strategy RPG coming in 2012

Marcus Pukropski's Avatar + Posted by Marcus Pukropski on Nov 02, 2011 // CEO, SideQuest Studios

RainbowMoon_Logo

Hello everyone, this is Marcus from SideQuest Studios, the developer that brought you the PSN exclusive shoot’em up series Söldner-X. Today I am telling you about what we’ve been working on with our publishing partner eastasiasoft during roughly the last year and a half. No, it’s not another shooter, but it’s once again a very classical genre that we are bringing back to life on the PlayStation 3 in 2012.

Our latest creation is titled Rainbow Moon. It’s a strategy role-playing game (or, for short, “SRPG”) with a strong emphasis on exploration, character development and turn-based battles. This genre is one of my personal favorites that I enjoyed playing most when I was growing up (and still enjoy a lot now as far as time allows).

RainbowMoon_Screenshot08

I can promise you that Rainbow Moon is going to be massive, and it’s got all the features that you want from a traditional RPG. First of all, it will take you around 30 hours just to play through the main story mode, but that’s far from all what the game has to offer. Your playtime can be extended to 100 hours or longer if you want to complete all side quests and achieve full character development.

What else can you expect from Rainbow Moon? A classic isometric open world, six playable main characters, more than 20 dungeons, around 100 special skills, fully customizable weapons, armors and accessories, and a lot more.

RainbowMoon_Screenshot12RainbowMoon_Screenshot03

At the moment, we are still putting on the last finishing touches, and I can’t wait to see when Rainbow Moon hits the PlayStation Store in the first quarter of 2012. Until then, I will surely have more information for you here on the PlayStation.Blog. If you want to stay up to date on Rainbow Moon’s development, you may also check out the official website at www.rainbowmoongame.com or follow us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/RainbowMoonTheGame.

P.S.: Make sure to let me know what you think about Rainbow Moon, and leave your feedback or questions in the comments.

RainbowMoon_Screenshot13RainbowMoon_Screenshot01

PAGE 1 2

+ cywulf21 on November 2nd, 2011 at 10:13 am said:

Hmm, no video…But you guys made Soldner X2 so you get a pass. Looking forward to this game, keep it up.

+ Marcus Pukropski on November 2nd, 2011 at 12:35 pm said:

Thank you so much for your confidence:)

+ Zarxce on November 2nd, 2011 at 10:19 am said:

I’m sold. I love SRPGs and I’m liking the overall look from the screenshots so far. I like color in my games.

It sounds like a pretty big game. Will this be a full release with plat trophy and priced accordingly (kind of like Agarest War)? Or is it still a $10-15 dollar downloadable title that just happens to have a LOT of content?

+ kivi95 on November 2nd, 2011 at 10:23 am said:

2# Note ‘PSN’ exklusive. So yes it’s a psn game that happens to have a LOT of content :).

Can’t wait for this looks great!!

+ Neil on November 2nd, 2011 at 10:27 am said:

Looks fantastic.

+ Marcus Pukropski on November 2nd, 2011 at 12:12 pm said:

Thank you guys for lots of comments! We hope you’ll have as much fun as we had during development:)

+ TopherQuin on November 2nd, 2011 at 10:36 am said:

This looks so awesome.

+ xKOROSHIYAx on November 2nd, 2011 at 10:37 am said:

This is exactly the type of genre the PS3 needs right now. There’s way too much emphasis on “cookie cutter” FPS and TPS games. I’m looking forward to seeing more of this game in the near future.

+ ElektroDragon on November 2nd, 2011 at 10:37 am said:

I will definitely buy this!

+ Zarxce on November 2nd, 2011 at 10:40 am said:

@3 actually I’m more concerned about price. Should I expect a $40 downloadable game or $15 one? Though I’m sure they can’t actually give me a specific price yet, I was wondering what end of the spectrum they were leaning towards.

Also if it’s a 15 dollar title you know it’ll have less production values, no platinum trophy and probably be relatively simple. If it’s around $40…then you have to pay around $40 for it.

There’s also a chance it might find some middle ground between the two.

I’m just curious as to what kind of expectations I should have for the game.

+ Marcus Pukropski on November 2nd, 2011 at 12:14 pm said:

The retail price has not been decided so far but I’m sure it will be far below $40.

+ shades909 on November 2nd, 2011 at 10:41 am said:

One thing i hate about most srpg is slow combat i don’t expect them to finish fast like a regular rpg but i don’t want each combat to go for like 5 minutes either except if it’s boss or something like that.
So if the combat aren’t to slow in this game i will buy well i will wait until i see a video or something like that before i decide but for now this look really interesting.

+ Marcus Pukropski on November 2nd, 2011 at 12:26 pm said:

Hi shades909,

thank you for the feedback.

The combat system is optimized for fast and easy user input. There is no cursor you have to deal with, instead, possible targets can be selected just by pressing the pad into the corresponding direction or by selecting a pattern, so handling is really easy.

Regarding to the overall battle length: It strongly depends on your party level/speed-attributes. When battling easy monsters, they probably even won’t get their turn before they are defeated, so battles can be finished very fast. For decent or boss monsters, battles can last from one to several minutes. It all depends on your party and playing style.

+ Conaaando on November 2nd, 2011 at 10:42 am said:

Will definitely give it a shot.

+ magicfan345 on November 2nd, 2011 at 10:46 am said:

The screenshots look pretty cool, where is the video ? Anyway, anything with the word strategy connected to it peaks my interest, so I look forward to more details on this game. Make it a good one! :)

+ Marcus Pukropski on November 2nd, 2011 at 12:28 pm said:

Thanks for the comment. A trailer and gameplay videos will follow within the next months, so stay tuned:)

+ boxmyth on November 2nd, 2011 at 10:50 am said:

I’m liking what I see, but my investment will be based on the quality of the story and battle system.
You really can’t beat a well-written SRPG with a fun battle system (see: Disgaea series)

+ Starstew on November 2nd, 2011 at 10:51 am said:

Looks lovely, I love tactical RPGs. Will it be playable on the PS Vita as well?

+ WolfZombie39 on November 2nd, 2011 at 10:55 am said:

Very nice, looking forward to this. The soundtrack sample sounds nice as well.

+ kivi95 on November 2nd, 2011 at 11:04 am said:

8# I’m almost 100% sure that this will be a $15 game.

+ Mister-Nep on November 2nd, 2011 at 11:04 am said:

This has my interest. I will be keeping my eye on this game.

+ Zoidzerg on November 2nd, 2011 at 11:22 am said:

Sounds like it is going to be good! I am a little concerned with your comments on length as a selling point, makes me wonder if it is full of fluff. I will just assume that you have to market the game time to people who value length over quality.

Will be watching for information. I definitely would like to see more SRPG’s out there, hopefully you guys set up a trail.

+ Marcus Pukropski on November 2nd, 2011 at 12:34 pm said:

Hi Zoidzerg,

thanks for your input. Quality and content is both very important to us. I would say when you just play the main story, you can finish the game in about 20-30 hours. (Depends on your playing style) But for those who loves to discover every little secret, playtime can be extended up to 100 hours or more.

+ TheTwelve on November 2nd, 2011 at 11:24 am said:

I’m SO about SRPGs…not enough of them. I hope there is real offensive/defensive strategy in this. This is pretty much a guaranteed buy from me.

+ luvtoseek on November 2nd, 2011 at 12:01 pm said:

Looks very interesting; I hope there will be a demo!

+ Kxpuc on November 2nd, 2011 at 12:02 pm said:

If it’s $15 i will hesitate, if it’s $9.99 i will more likely to buy it and if it’s good i’ll hesitate less on the 1st thing

+ Marcus Pukropski on November 2nd, 2011 at 12:42 pm said:

I hope you’ll give it a chance – there’s really a lot to discover:)

+ LordBeefstick-_- on November 2nd, 2011 at 12:05 pm said:

Looks fun maybe my kids will like.

+ xxThe_Fuhrer-xx on November 2nd, 2011 at 12:17 pm said:

Looks interesting. Hopefully there will be a demo to try out.

+ Marcus Pukropski on November 2nd, 2011 at 12:38 pm said:

Hi,
    yes there are already plans for a demo version. Not sure we can provide this at launch time, but probably just a few weeks later.

+ Moonglare on November 2nd, 2011 at 12:19 pm said:

Looks kinda promising. Hoping for a trailer soon.

+ bigdaddykraven on November 2nd, 2011 at 12:22 pm said:

WOW! Yes! SRPG style is what I grew up loving and while I enjoy today’s RPG styles there’s just something magical about a story being told in SRPG fashion.

Will this be a full game? I guess the trophy hunter in me is wondering will this game have a platinum trophy? I’m looking forward to the 30 hour minimum and could be well over 100 hours going for a platinum.

Was getting bummed because there’s too many games to play and so little time but for something like this I’ll make the time. :)

+ Marcus Pukropski on November 2nd, 2011 at 12:43 pm said:

We are in touch with Sony regarding the platinum trophy, but cannot promise anything at the moment.

+ Gaucho21 on November 2nd, 2011 at 12:45 pm said:

This is one of my favorite genres. I’m super excited that SideQuest Studios is handling this. It’ll be interesting to see how this plays.

+ Mohamed_89 on November 2nd, 2011 at 12:53 pm said:

Love it at first sight.

+ WorcesterRaider on November 2nd, 2011 at 1:14 pm said:

I really like the style and the fact that it has over 100 hours of optional game play makes it that much better!!! I will keep this game on my radar as 2012 approaches and a release date is announced.

+ RE_Player on November 2nd, 2011 at 1:18 pm said:

Looks very interesting.

+ dragonmagician on November 2nd, 2011 at 1:26 pm said:

Please consider a Vita version as well; it would be perfect with PS3 to Vita cloud save ability (a la Ruin). I mean, how else I am going to be able to put in 100 hours of gameplay.

+ Marcus Pukropski on November 2nd, 2011 at 1:42 pm said:

This is indeed under evaluation at the moment. No decission has been made so far but maybe there will be an announcement soon, so stay tuned;)

+ Alexx-NY on November 2nd, 2011 at 1:28 pm said:

Looking forward to this game.
SideQuest Studios always delivered quality so far, so I will certainly buy this when it’s released.

Just one question:
Any chances we will get another Söldner X or another sidescrolling shmup from you guys?
They are the best on PSN, so there are many people want more. :)

+ Marcus Pukropski on November 2nd, 2011 at 1:46 pm said:

Thanks for your kind words Alexx:)
    Regarding your question: At the moment there are no plans for SX3, but this also strongly depends on sales. So if enough people like and buy the predecessor, everything is possible.

+ Jetup on November 2nd, 2011 at 1:31 pm said:

Finally we’re getting a true SRPG? Nice!
Any news on the score or music of Rainbow Moon?

+ Marcus Pukropski on November 2nd, 2011 at 1:50 pm said:

Yes, it’s again by Rafael Dyll who was also the composer of SX1 and SX2. He’s really flexible, expect a different style but you’ll find his unique vibes too.
    A sound sample has been released on our official website: http://www.rainbowmoongame.com/

+ lisatsunami on November 2nd, 2011 at 1:32 pm said:

Oh, you lost me @ “turn based”.

I’ll try the demo to give you a fair shot since it’s a PSN exclusive.

+ Shinra_Soilder on November 2nd, 2011 at 1:33 pm said:

Interesting. I like to play SRPGs but it’s kinda seasonal for me. For some reason I have the urge to play a SRPG from Spring to the end of Summer. I still have to finish the original Record of Agarest War and I wanna buy Disgaea 4 but I have Record of Agarest War Zero sitting on my shelf. I hope to see more on this game and that may make or break my decision. What will be the unique feature that will make this game stand out from other SRPG’s? How will the combat flow? Will it be similar to Disgaea, Record of Agarest War or Final Fantasy Tactics?

+ Marcus Pukropski on November 2nd, 2011 at 1:59 pm said:

Hi Shinra,
    rainbow moon has it’s own style. In addition to the battle focus, you’ll find a lot of exploration. There are auto maps which are drawn while you are exploring the dungeons and the world, tons of items you can discover, skills, and so on. We will reveal more details here and on our website soon so don’t hesitate to visit http://www.rainbowmoongame.com/ regularly.

+ TwinDad on November 2nd, 2011 at 1:34 pm said:

It looks wonderful. I’d like a demo to try the combat.

30 Hours sounds great if the game play is there.

+ eduwfd on November 2nd, 2011 at 1:36 pm said:

Hoooray!!! This is a wonderful new.
I’ve already noticed about Rainbow Moon some months ago. But I didnt notice this great game can arrive next year. Wonderful!
Thanks to return, SideQuest. Thanks for Soldner-X series and to honor this great gender of “RPG”.
Who knows this game can fill the void of older great classics (Shinning Force 3, Grandia, etc. etc. etc.)? I don’t doubt…

+ Slythex on November 2nd, 2011 at 1:39 pm said:

LOVED Soldner X-2. I’ll definitely be keeping an eye on this one :D

+ Darewind on November 2nd, 2011 at 1:48 pm said:

I am definitely interested.I love me some SRPGs.
Quick question though will we have the option to turn off combat animations like in Disgaea?

+ Lord_Rinja on November 2nd, 2011 at 1:58 pm said:

I commented on the East Asia Soft Facebook about Soldner X-2 a couple of weeks back and the person looking over that profile suggested Rainbow Moon to me in my comment. I was pleasantly surprised with the amount of detail that went into the attacks in this game. The animation looks really smooth. The characters personalities really show in this title. Looks like this will be an awesome title for anyone who enjoys Tactics Ogre: The Knight of Lodis, Final Fantasy Tactics, Disgaea, Arc the Lad, Shining Force, Hoshigami: Running Blue Earth and Fire Emblem. I’m also glad to hear that you guys are bringing exploration back into the genre (one of the things that makes Shining Force stand out so much). I’ll be looking forward to Rainbow Moon. Also, Soldner X-2 rocks hardcore. You do a really good job at reinventing classic formulas. Keep up the good work :-)

On a side note, can you please give us some Playstation Home Rewards for your key titles. I would love to see Rainbow Moon and the Soldener X series get some exposure on Home.

+ Marcus Pukropski on November 2nd, 2011 at 2:03 pm said:

Thank you for all the feedback guys.
    – Rainbow moon will also run with constant 60 fps, as all games from SideQuest Studios.
    – Also expect very short loading times.

+ Shinra_Soilder on November 2nd, 2011 at 2:06 pm said:

So it’ll have exploration? Interesting. I’ll keep my eyes on this gem. Thanks Marcus!

+ perrandy on November 2nd, 2011 at 2:38 pm said:

looks sweet, this and corpse party has my att for psn games :)

+ perrandy on November 2nd, 2011 at 2:40 pm said:

sry for the double posts but a couple of questions here: price? and does your game support in-game music? and one last question does this game have voice acting or is just subs?thanks

+ Marcus Pukropski on November 2nd, 2011 at 2:51 pm said:

Hi Perrandy,
    – The price has not been decided so far. We will keep you informed here and on our official website.
    – Yes, there is dedicated soundtrack with over 30 tracks, composed and arranged by Mr. Rafael Dyll.
    – Yes and no. There is voice acting, but most NPCs only have phrases for hello and goodbye, so there is still text to read in the bubbles. There is also some voice acting in battle.

+ Blackheart10111 on November 2nd, 2011 at 3:10 pm said:

Will you be able to have custom class characters?

+ Marcus Pukropski on November 2nd, 2011 at 3:26 pm said:

All main characters will have some unique skills and each one has a different unique main weapon. You can set the order and skills the characters are learning. You can also decide on which attribute(s) a character will focus during level up, which has a large impact on character development.

+ Psicocrusher on November 2nd, 2011 at 3:39 pm said:

This looks really amazing! Hope to see a demo :P

+ DarkAkatosh on November 2nd, 2011 at 4:09 pm said:

I loved the Soldner games and I love love love SRPGs so this is worth checking out for sure, even if Disgaea spoiled the genre for me.

+ Monetep on November 2nd, 2011 at 4:13 pm said:

SRPG? I’m in!

How about the story of the game?

+ AutomaticScotty on November 2nd, 2011 at 5:30 pm said:

Looks awesome! I can’t wait to play it!

+ Addfwyn on November 2nd, 2011 at 5:49 pm said:

This looks…like exactly the game of game I absolute love, and have been missing for a long time. Artwork looks awesome, and saying “SRPG” is already a key to my heart. Pretty sure you’ve made a day 1 purchase from me for sure.

+ coryyumk on November 2nd, 2011 at 7:34 pm said:

its looking great! cant wait for this, i love srpgs.

+ Pashta on November 2nd, 2011 at 8:40 pm said:

I have been dying for an RPG for PS3 forever. One that isn’t first person or geared toward males. Lots of us females play, too! I’m looking forward to your game, even though it isn’t a full RPG it looks fun. :)

+ midnightshade on November 2nd, 2011 at 10:19 pm said:

This is great news!!! Big time RPG fan since the 80’s ULtima/Gold box SSI games and then FF..when tactics/strategic series starting coming out in droves in the PS1 era … i was in heaven.. I will be picking this up for sure. Thanks for not making another shooter.

PAGE 1 2