Driveclub

Announcing Square Enix’s Winter of RPGs Campaign

Charles McCarter's Avatar + Posted by Charles McCarter on Nov 03, 2011 // Product Manager, Square Enix

Hello everyone! You may remember me from such PlayStation.Blog articles as “Chrono Trigger Hits PSN This Tuesday.” I haven’t finished playing through it yet, but I’m back! Why, you ask, would I stop playing this classic game to write another blog post?

The answer: I’m here to announce Square Enix’s “Winter of RPGs” campaign. In some parts of North America, winter seems to have gotten an early head start. And while that brings a lot of headaches for those who have to contend with ice and snow, it’s also a perfect time for us to announce our latest group of titles coming to PSN. So, while you’re staying inside and out of the cold, icky weather, why not fire up your PS3 and play some classic RPGs? We’ve got some great games lined up to get you through the cold days ahead.

So what’s up first? Some of you may have noticed my responses to reader comments in my last column. And even last week, readers of “The Drop” were asking when we’d see this particular title arrive. Well, get ready to travel not through time, but through alternate realities when Chrono Cross releases. Join Serge as he finds himself in a world where he died as a young child, meets the enigmatic thief Kid, and goes on a quest for the artifact known as the Frozen Flame! The sequel to Chrono Trigger, Chrono Cross delivers on some great gameplay and fantastic story, which is probably the reason why the game is so highly rated. It won lots of awards when it was released, including Gamespot’s Game of the Year in 2000. Don’t believe me? Google it. I’ll wait.

Chronocross_cover

Chrono Cross will release on November 8th—just five days from now. You have been warned.

But, you know, we can’t really call it the “Winter of RPGs” if we just announce one title—even if it is one as great as Chrono Cross. The second title in our “Winter of RPGs” lineup begins with a meteor and some crystals. It also expanded on the incredible job system and introduced us to the Time Mage, Blue Mage, Berserker, and Dancer jobs, to name a few. That’s right—it’s Final Fantasy V! Our main character is Bartz, whom many of you will probably know from his appearances in Dissidia Final Fantasy and Dissidia 012[duodecim] Final Fantasy. In Final Fantasy V, you take on the role of Bartz and help defend the Crystals that keep the evil sorcerer Exdeath imprisoned.

FFV_Time_mage

Final Fantasy V will be released on November 22, just in time for you to save the world over Thanksgiving!

We’ve got one more title to announce, and it’s a big one. This one made it all to #9 on IGN’s top 100 games of all time back in 2007. And in 2009, Game Informer went one better and named it #8, while G4TV named it #1 in their “Top 5 Must-Own RPGs.” Have you guessed what it is yet?

It features a crazy clown mage who is truly evil and the young female half-Esper who winds up opposing him. Welcome Kefka and Terra to the PlayStation Network just in time for the holidays!

FFVI_Terra

Final Fantasy VI will be released on December 6th.

That’s all for now—Chrono Cross, Final Fantasy V, and Final Fantasy VI. To horribly misquote Shakespeare, “Now is the winter of our RPGs.”

141 Comments

PAGE 1 2 3

+ makai1978 on November 4th, 2011 at 7:11 am said:

Great NEWS.

Chrono Cross is superb

Final VI is a masterpiece ( I still have a SNES original copy)

Final V never play.

+ Chuckbait on November 4th, 2011 at 7:53 am said:

I would have bought these (atleast FFV and VI), but with Sony’s new policy change (the evil, soul-less corporation that they are), I will have to wait until they are half off, since now I’ll have to buy them twice.

Let’s release a system that will stop working on Apacalyps3, then force “hackers” to attack our psn, and then we’ll remove every cool feature from the system.

I hope no one buys your Vita. Sony loves to rip off their loyal fans. You soul-less, heart-less demons!

PS… Square Enix is a quality company whom treats their fans right.
and Final Fantasy VII is the greatest video game of all time.

+ ArchAngelMai on November 4th, 2011 at 8:45 am said:

I love how FFVI gets all that love and awards and still SE has refused to do a remake, yet FFIV has had so many it’s ridiculous. I do realize that it is the most popular,but still.

+ emiru69 on November 4th, 2011 at 8:55 am said:

How much these game are going to cost? 6 bucks or 10?

+ jstepp2 on November 4th, 2011 at 8:56 am said:

Aaaah, classic RPG’s…. Glad they are getting a digital rerelease! I’m glad that Square-Enix has been rereleasing these classics, and especially hyped for the HD remaster of Final Fantasy X…. :) :) :)

+ Deathspear666 on November 4th, 2011 at 9:15 am said:

Now all the little crybabies have their games…derps

+ onslaughtree on November 4th, 2011 at 9:29 am said:

I have never played this game, but I may have to check it out. Im more of a action rpg kind of gamer. Looking forward to hearing Alundra being added someday. Keep up the good work sony.

+ NSaneBliss on November 4th, 2011 at 9:41 am said:

Dear Sony,

Have you been reading my diary?

+ megamixer on November 4th, 2011 at 9:47 am said:

How about releasing your PSP content on PSN? I’d totally double dip on the following games.

Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII
Star Ocean: First Departure
Star Ocean: Second Evolution

I’m sure there are other missing SE PSP titles to. :(

+ saotomejin on November 4th, 2011 at 9:51 am said:

thank goodness…i went through 2 copies of FFVI on SNES and i lost my PSX version…

I agree with Gokuhan_Z though…i hope its the original version not the GBA one

+ saintaqua on November 4th, 2011 at 11:05 am said:

Yay! I only wish Square would be nice like the other companies and release these for 5.99 instead of 9.99.
I’ve missed out on several because of the price.

Next up bring us Legend of Dragoon and Suikoden 2!!

+ saintaqua on November 4th, 2011 at 11:06 am said:

More PSP games on the store too please!

+ saintaqua on November 4th, 2011 at 11:09 am said:

Chuckbait…why would you have to buy them twice? You can still have them on 2 Ps3’s and two handhelds.
More if you utilize the deactivate feature wisely.

Stop trolling and also, you are wrong.
Squaresoft was a good company…Sqaure Enix…I love them but they are not really that good of a company anymore and they don’t care about their fans until we make them.

+ Ryuna1 on November 4th, 2011 at 11:15 am said:

WOW i read this last night before i went to bed and i was so excited i couldent sleep for a while. I have never ever played 5 or 6 and i been wanting them to come out for a while. And i am totally going to get them i dont know about chrono cross or not depends on the price of them. When will you announce a price? <3 <3 <3

+ JG4Horrorshow on November 4th, 2011 at 4:19 pm said:

FINALLY some solid news as to when we will ACTUALLY get Final Fantasy VI!

After it being out in other regions for over a year and a number of false release dates being put out over here (such as that damn blog post not too long ago..) We will finally have it. I already own VI on the GBA and PS1, but I will gladly buy it again for use on my PSP, as well as V, due to my ongoing dream of playing all my Final Fantasies on one system. So far, my PSP has 1, 2, 4, 7, 8, and 9. The addition of 5 and 6 will make my portable gaming experience even better.

+ TrueProphecy on November 4th, 2011 at 8:18 pm said:

All great games. I already have multiple copies of the Final Fantasy games though, and I own Chrono Cross.

What I would love to see come rolling into PSN with this event is Dragon Quest VII.

+ TerraAshura on November 4th, 2011 at 11:24 pm said:

These are all fantastic! I’m a little disappointed, though, that this doesn’t include Final Fantasy Origins, which has been rated by the ESRB.

+ Elvick_ on November 5th, 2011 at 1:14 am said:

Finally the best game ever made makes it’s way to PSN. Final Fantasy VI. I will it every time it’s released, until the day I die.

+ Garylisk on November 5th, 2011 at 4:05 am said:

+ SailorStarlight6 on November 5th, 2011 at 6:01 am said:

:D Yay! I can’t wait for Chrono Cross and FF VI. I need to make sure I have lots of room on my memory stick now.

+ rabidninjamonky on November 5th, 2011 at 1:37 pm said:

I just beat Chrono Trigger, so really excited to play Chrono Cross! I also hope to see Dragon Quest 7. I never got a chance to play it, and Dragon Quest 8 is my second favorite rpg ever next to Skies of Arcadia.

+ PirateHarlock on November 5th, 2011 at 4:51 pm said:

I would’ve got several of these if Sony hadn’t resorted to a mafia-like cash grab with their recently announced and very excessive restrictions on activations starting on the 18th. Way to fail sony, Hermann Goering would be proud.

I hope Square-Enix soon realizes how many sales sony is losing them along with other devs & publishers who still do business with them.

+ maltyler84 on November 5th, 2011 at 5:06 pm said:

I too will horribly misquote Shakespeare, “Awesome-sauce”

+ HumbleOudman on November 5th, 2011 at 9:10 pm said:

[QUOTE] “Will these releases fix the horribly loading time issues that they had on PS1? Particularly FFVI, which had LOOOONG WAAAAITS every time you hit Triangle to access the MENU.” [/QUOTE]

All the long load times will still be there, its 100% emulation of the original PS1 disc, so even the long load times are still there. I purchased the PS classics version of chrono trigger, but ended up playing the wii vc (snes) version because of the horrid load times… its sad really since the ps3 has nice upscaling and all

ps – playing from ps3 HDD doesnt make load times any quicker, definitely not the menu loading anyway.

+ rabidninjamonky on November 5th, 2011 at 11:50 pm said:

@107 Just to let you know Alundra has been on the been on the PS Store for a couple years now.

+ rabidninjamonky on November 5th, 2011 at 11:51 pm said:

oops I typed one too many been ons.

+ HumbleOudman on November 6th, 2011 at 1:15 am said:

just noticed – Vanguard Bandits rated by the ESRB :)

+ RavageHeitaro on November 6th, 2011 at 6:00 am said:

@102 aka Chuckbait

Do you have any idea how stupid your list of trollish rants are before posting? You can play new games on up to 2 PS3s AND 2 PSP/Vita. I have no idea why anyone would need anything more than that unless you are game-sharing.

The funny thing is, you’re still allowed to ‘game-share’ as long as you make use of the activation/deactivation feature. And if you’re wealthy enough to own more than 4 systems, surely you can afford to buy those content again?

+ mochi_paw on November 6th, 2011 at 8:29 am said:

great!!! <3333333333333333333333333333 i hope SE also remakes Vagrant Story as well~

+ mochi_paw on November 6th, 2011 at 8:30 am said:

oh wait they already did! XD

+ CaptainJames99 on November 6th, 2011 at 10:18 am said:

Sorry guys but no deal. After Eric Lempel announced sony was once again resorting to draconian tactics of changing the terms of sale after the fact I’ll no longer consider buying these off psn. I can get them on disc far cheaper than psn and play them on all my systems not just one or two. These no restrictions on what systems we can use our paid content on reeks of organized crime. You guys need to learn the hard lesson that an angry gamer quickly becomes a former customer. Or put another way when you try to make money by trickery and deceit you instead lose money and respect. respect that once lost in this way cannot be regained.

+ Senjutsu_Dav on November 6th, 2011 at 10:56 am said:

That’s all? It’s far from “a winter of RPGs to me”. I mean, I live in Canada so the winter is pretty long, and 3 re-releases of old (but really good) JRPGs is far from enough.. I’ll finish the 3-4 trophies I’m still lacking in FF13, waiting for vs13 and 13-2 instead, since I already finished those JRPGs mentionned in the post around 3-4 times each (but chrono cross, I only finished it once).

+ cubanfarmer on November 6th, 2011 at 12:31 pm said:

i would love to see legend of dragoon legend of legaia and brave fencer musashi

+ EggySong85 on November 6th, 2011 at 6:45 pm said:

So will they all be a full $9.99? Probably. I hope for a ps+ discount.

+ Ramza_x on November 7th, 2011 at 7:19 am said:

Although I love everyone of these games, #25 is absolutely right. If your going to sell us the versions of the games with the horrible load times, then I’m not going to bother wasting my time and money on them. The games are amazing but the load times completely ruin the whole experience.
I think that we gamers should be warned of this glaring flaw in the discription of the game when we go to purchase it on PSN. I really don’t understand why its so hard to fix this problem and make the games play like they use to. I know that will probably never happen but it would be nice if they fixed it cause I would buy all three games again in a heart beat.

+ CloudBurner1112 on November 7th, 2011 at 8:10 am said:

Dear PlayStation Santa since its Square Enix’s Winter of RPGs Campaign I would like 2 of my favorite Square games! First my “FIRST” PS game: Brave Fencer Musashi! I still remember the entire dialog from beginning to the end lol I love this game! And second the RPG that change my negative look on RPGS the PS2 Game: Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King! Thanks love me!

+ iBOCK_ on November 7th, 2011 at 7:54 pm said:

This is going to be lovely!

+ PagenZero on November 8th, 2011 at 11:18 am said:

Yay some good news as compared to that other article that has everything in uproar and I put my two cents into, now the only question is, am I really going to buy these are just play them on my other systems, where I can move them from system to system without deactivating the one first, I got it, I will just keep my old copies :D

+ Rorschach413 on November 9th, 2011 at 12:16 am said:

Can’t wait to replay/finish chrono Cross. It’s an amazing game with multiple endings so I know I’ll be getting my moneys worth.

+ xLiarsenic_ on November 9th, 2011 at 9:45 am said:

How about remastering Final Fantasy X? I know for a fact everyone and their grandmas would buy it.

+ thegnomeishere on November 16th, 2011 at 10:25 pm said:

OMFG!!!!!!! Final Fantasy 6!!!!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!? I just recently got Chrono Cross, but I had no Idea they were coming out with that one. That’s my favorite FF game EVER!!!!!!!!!!!

PAGE 1 2 3