Uncharted 4

Nov 04

The Future of War: DUST 514’s Mobile Command Center

CCP Remnant's Avatar Posted by CCP Remnant on Nov 04, 2011 // Game Designer, CCP

DUST 514 is an MMOFPS on the PS3 with large-scale vehicle and infantry combat taking place in, and with a real-time connection to, the EVE Online universe on PC. Players are able to band up into corporations (e.g. guilds) and wage territorial conquest on thousands of planets. What follows is a thematic description of Mobile Command Centers, or MCC’s. At 200 meters in length, these vehicles represent the largest, most powerful weapon a team can acquire, and are flown by a team’s commander. Oftentimes, destruction of the MCC means victory on the battlefield (we’ll give you more insight into the game’s command hierarchy, a system that allows players to form squads that are led by a player commander, in an upcoming PlayStation.Blog post).

DUST 514 for PS3

A Caelus-class MCC trawls across the battlefield.

Colossal. Imposing. Devastating. Any of these words could describe the MCC, but only one truly sums it up: Control. The MCC is the nerve center of any army, the backbone upon which wars are waged and battles won. It is from here, locked within the confines of a modified hydrostatic pod, that the
commander orchestrates the fate of those on the ground below. He does so having never set foot on the battlefield, but with the collective knowledge and situational awareness of every unit that has. If knowledge is power, it is the commander who wields it.

Heavily fortified and shielded, the destruction of an MCC is by no means an easy task…but it’s not an impossible one. Only a sustained heavy weapons barrage is sufficient to disable the MCC’s shields and take down its armor. If the MCC does possess an Achilles heel, it is its dependence on fuel, without a constant supply of which, its turrets, critical systems and, most importantly, shields are worthless. Commanders would do well to be aware of any and all fuel sources in a given area and plan accordingly.

DUST 514 for PS3DUST 514 for PS3

PAGE 1 2

+ Purple_Falcon_ on November 4th, 2011 at 5:11 pm said:

Can’t wait!!! Good job guys!!

+ NeonzNL on November 4th, 2011 at 5:12 pm said:

Will the game have a leveling up system?

+ REGIS_MARK_V on November 4th, 2011 at 7:06 pm said:

That is awesome! This is shaping up to be an all time great thanks for the new info!

+ ThreeLeggedFreak on November 4th, 2011 at 7:18 pm said:

How about a World of Darkness game? I know CCP now owns White Wolf.

CCP Remnant's Avatar

+ James Egan on November 5th, 2011 at 11:36 pm said:

Well CCP merged with White Wolf some years ago, and since that time we’ve been at work on a World of Darkness MMO – a game that will have particular appeal to players of the original Vampire: The Masquerade RPG. (Which I grew up playing, along with Mage, Werewolf and a few of the smaller games that comprised the World of Darkness setting.)

What we recently announced is that we’ve shifted more of our focus to EVE Online and DUST 514 though. That said, World of Darkness is still in development.

+ Krynnost on November 4th, 2011 at 7:23 pm said:

As far as a beta goes… I just hope the ones paying to play EVE are already on the invite list…

CCP Remnant's Avatar

+ James Egan on November 5th, 2011 at 11:36 pm said:

We are looking at EVE players for this, yes. But I can’t say any more on this yet.

+ LordRaoh on November 5th, 2011 at 12:07 am said:

Any chance of getting some sort of extended trial or free month for EVE Online with the purchase of DUDT 514?

CCP Remnant's Avatar

+ James Egan on November 5th, 2011 at 11:37 pm said:

This is more of a Marketing thing and something I can’t really confirm, but incentives like this have certainly been discussed at CCP.

+ KAPADO on November 5th, 2011 at 5:00 am said:

I want it because it looks pretty and seems to have solid controls. Its the MAG that never was.

+ Arkafazin on November 5th, 2011 at 6:52 am said:

This game is looking so interesting. I think it’d be great to be a foot soldier in a huge battle being led by an actual human commander! I don’t think I could command anything myself, but the idea of being apart of something bigger is amazing.

I have one question though: How do the EVE players feel about this upcoming game-changer? I’m not connected to any of them, but I would really like to know if they’re happy about it, skeptical, or outright against it. As much as I’d love to join in a new experience, it’ll be so much better if the players already involved in the world are welcoming the change with open arms. :)

CCP Remnant's Avatar

+ James Egan on November 5th, 2011 at 11:44 pm said:

Another good question. I’d say there’s a mixed response. Some players are very excited and embrace the possibilities that DUST 514 will add to the EVE universe. To that end, we’re seeing EVE corps and alliances reaching out to FPS players as potential recruits to their organizations for when DUST 514 launches. There is, of course, also a fair amount of skepticism, and understandably so. There are many questions people have about how this will all work out, which we’re going to be addressing and explaining over time (up until Summer 2012 when DUST 514 launches). And yes, there are some players who aren’t into what we’re doing with expanding the experience of the EVE universe through DUST, though a number of these players also still express the desire to rain hell down upon DUST mercs from space via orbital strikes. It should be fun to see what happens when the DUST players can shoot back, too. ;)

+ Jaller1142 on November 5th, 2011 at 11:25 am said:

will this game be restricted to the buying account?

+ AndreVauban on November 5th, 2011 at 1:21 pm said:

I think Eve players are mostly neutral at this point as Eve players really don’t curretnly interact with the planets Dust players will be fighting over. The only way eve players interact with planets is through the Planetary Interaction (ie PI) feature. Think of this as Farmville or a extremely basic SIMS. Most of the Dust content will be new to Eve.

I think the biggest challenge will be having Dust groups joining forces with Eve groups. It will be hard to find each other at first as the in-game tools for finding corporations are rather pathetic. Most of the that communication takes place on third part forums/usergroups which probably won’t cross into the same circles as the third party forums/usergroups that Dust player frequent.

+ SleezyBigSlim on November 5th, 2011 at 4:30 pm said:

I’m even more excited now, having MCC’s adds a very deep level of strategy. One of my main goals will definately be to make it to a commander rank so I can run the battlefield, I wiould be very good agt giving orders and strategy. Looking forward to partner up with EVE corporations as well. I would want my team or squad to have an impecable reputation so to get paid top dollar by EVE corporations to complete there contracts.

PAGE 1 2