Driveclub

ModNation Racers: Road Trip Feature Previews!

Mark Wilson's Avatar + Posted by Mark Wilson on Nov 07, 2011 // Community Specialist, San Diego Studios

The buzz is getting louder and louder each week… Take a look. Next week we will begin to roll out some new and exciting details on ModNation Racers: Road Trip! We’ll start by introducing the new Road Trip Track Studio as well as a few features that will literally take the track creation to a new level.

It’s only fitting that this week we feature one the of the game’s most prolific and creative track designers, atheistsw. He shares his personal favorite tracks as well as in-depth tutorial on the ins and outs of his popular and unique style of track design. Hopefully you can take away some great tips to become an even better track creator — just in the nick of time to take your tracks on the road to show your friends at work or school, on the bus, on a plane, on a horse or on a train!

This Week’s Top Tracks: Best of atheistsw

Invasion: Aftermath – Creating this alien invasion took all of my imagination and editorial know-how to succeed but the end result is one of my most fun courses to date.

Verazzo Pass – Much time was taken to create this scenic downhill-uphill course to try and stamp my own unique signature on the base arctic theme. The result is one of my favorite tracks in a long while.

Mary Jane’s Mega Mall – A logistical nightmare to create, I was very pleased with the scale with which I was able to create this typical multi-storshopping mall.

Suburban Sprawl – A case of the simpler the better, this suburban themed race is essentially a giant spiral before a mad dash to the finish line.

Kingdom Of Zarathustra – Inspired by the lost city of Shambala, this ambitious track combines beautiful scenery with varied racing designed to challenge even the most hardened MNR veteran.

Creations of the Week: “rippin” it up!

cotw

Player Created Tutorial: “Create A Visually Interesting Track” by atheistsw

If you want to improve your track creating skills you now have no better tool than this spectacular visual tutorial from arguably one of the best track creators in MNR. Take a look HERE

Hot Lap Tracks Of The Week:

(choosen by atheistsw as tracks he greatly admires)

Monday: Sacred Grove by manlius10a (A beautiful track from a criminally underrated creator that is a joy to race again and again. Trumps his own far east remake due to its creative genius)

Tuesday: Lake Eerie — The Marina by puppethand666 (One of the first tracks I played that opened me up to the possibilities of the track editor, I still consider puppethand666 one of my earliest track-making influences and a pioneer of the game to boot)

Wednesday: Samurai by Laidbackcat (Many amazing tracks have made their way to us from this chilled out Cornishman, but Samurai gets the nod due to its totally ingenious construction of two ancient samurais involved in an epic duel to the death!)

Thursday: A n C’s – Scorpion Temple by prob_alex and Laidbackcat (One of the best possible examples of an amazing track concept and an amazing race experience married as one cohesive whole. A superb creation from two of the best in the business.)

Friday: Laboratory Outbreak by grey_jeep (grey_jeep makes many excellent tracks but this one makes fantastic use of the Alien Invasion and Moon Colony props to create a unique and exciting race location)

Saturday: Spring Marsh Castle by big_village_920 (This creator is a master of extreme creativity when using props and this track perfectly demonstrates his uncanny skill at creating a unique and exciting race every time).

Sunday: Borealis Valley Ridge by IndustrialSavior (An oldie but a goldie this one. Long before the arctic theme appeared as DLC IndustrialSavior created this picturesque mountain dash through a snow peaked mountain range that flows fantastically well.)

+ CBas92 on November 7th, 2011 at 7:27 am said:

I’m guessing the few other people who suggested the Road Trip name wont be receiving anything? :/

Nonetheless can’t wait hear more about the Track Creator. I wasn’t really into making tracks in MNR compared to Mods and Karts, but with it looking so quick and easy to do in Road Trip, I just might give it a serious shot.

Mark Wilson's Avatar

+ Mark Wilson on November 7th, 2011 at 9:44 am said:

Yes. For right now just the first answer but who knows! :)

We will be showing some new features of the track editor next week and I know players are going to love the new features. I know I do!

+ IndustrialSavior on November 7th, 2011 at 7:29 am said:

Nice selection of hot lap tracks~
It’s good to see some classics up there again-
(Took me by surprise with Borealis Valley Ridge) XD

Mark Wilson's Avatar

+ Mark Wilson on November 7th, 2011 at 9:45 am said:

Surprises are a good thing!

+ zombie9 on November 7th, 2011 at 7:56 am said:

I know more about the Vita games and less about the Vita..
Why? Sony is launching this thing next month in Japan. PS3 never launched like that.

+ kivi95 on November 7th, 2011 at 8:05 am said:

Will their be any new themes in Modnation:Road trip? I really think you should make some more epic like lava or space.

+ dancinglights800 on November 7th, 2011 at 8:43 am said:

I think it too kivi95!

But will be the same themes, because I saw a video on Facebook page showin’ the same themes, would be nice if they launch these themes in a DLC

+ CAPNDigital on November 7th, 2011 at 9:14 am said:

Looking forward to the MNR: Road Trip previews.
Great to see atheistsw and his tracks featured. No doubt – one of the best and most prolific track creators in the community.
Long Live ModNation Racers!!!!!

+ LinKueiNinja on November 7th, 2011 at 10:14 am said:

WOW…Those karts & mods are nothing short of AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NICE WORK!

Mark Wilson's Avatar

+ Mark Wilson on November 7th, 2011 at 10:20 am said:

Agreed. Each one is so unique! Love em’!

+ JNM-CIM on November 7th, 2011 at 12:41 pm said:

I found atheistsw’s tutorial about a month ago on the forums, and it was really quite helpful!

I have a new track that I’m going to be submitting for Hot Lap next week, and you’ll probably see where most of atheistsw’s tips came into play. The track’s already finished but I’ll have to wait until the “Become a Hot Lap Judge II” event is over.

Mark Wilson's Avatar

+ Mark Wilson on November 7th, 2011 at 12:55 pm said:

I look forward to it!

+ badnewsliar on November 7th, 2011 at 1:07 pm said:

i’ve been playing mnr since launch and love atheistsw’s content; they deliver week in and week out.

any word on a dlc sale any time soon? the arctic theme and a few others would be nice to finally pick up and start creating since it’s the right time of season!

+ John31269 on November 7th, 2011 at 1:10 pm said:

Congrats, Atheist! You are the man! Good Hot Lap list, too!

And I guess next week we get to see the results of the Hot Lap judging! I can’t wait!

+ ripper171 on November 7th, 2011 at 1:13 pm said:

WOW, just saw my mods and karts as “Creations of the Week”. What a great surprise!!! (and it seems that the plum colour also was a surprise lol)

Thanks Mark

@LinKueiNinja

Thanks, I’m happy that you liked them.

Cheers

Mark Wilson's Avatar

+ Mark Wilson on November 7th, 2011 at 2:15 pm said:

Keep it up!
    Originality is king and at least for this week it’s your kingdom!

+ brian81371 on November 7th, 2011 at 3:13 pm said:

Will PSP mod nation racer game saves (cars, tracks, characters) be transferable to Road Trip or only the PS3 version??

Thanks!

Mark Wilson's Avatar

+ Mark Wilson on November 7th, 2011 at 3:54 pm said:

Just the PS3 creations.

+ grey_jeep on November 7th, 2011 at 4:38 pm said:

Nice Modnation monday post and congratulations to atheistsw!! I’ll be away for a while I have to work on my senior project for school :(

+ domirulz11 on November 8th, 2011 at 8:28 am said:

You can draw or drive the track first. And you can trace photos. AND has all the DLC already in-game! Check this video out that I found! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZONhiNflSk&feature=related (skip to 8:45)

+ DJ_Steve93 on November 8th, 2011 at 9:09 am said:

yo Mod Nation Racers should be made 3D compatible through an update, or u could make a sequel, seemed to go over well with LBP

+ atheistsw on November 9th, 2011 at 4:21 pm said:

Hi Mark, thanks for the profile, hopefully I can inspire the next generation of Modnation enthusiasts! :)