PS4 - Transistor

Music Unlimited Delivers More Control with Latest PS3 Update

Mike Aragon's Avatar + Posted by Mike Aragon on Nov 07, 2011 // Vice President, Sony Network Entertainment

Music Unlimited

We just updated the Music Unlimited service application on PS3 with some great features that many of you have been asking for. Cosmetically, you’ll probably first notice that our new branding has finally landed on PS3. More importantly, however, the new app gives you added control over how you listen to and access music.

We’re most excited about the new “My Channels” function that lets you build custom radio stations around your favorite artists. Simply type in the name of the artist and we’ll populate a station with songs from that artist and related artists.

MyCh_Global

Another great enhancement to the service makes it easier to skip tracks you dislike. Really don’t like a song that is playing on one of the channels? Just “dislike” it and we’ll automatically skip to the next one.

The “My Channels” and the “dislike” enhancements — available to both Basic and Premium subscribers — add to your ability to customize the music you listen to on the service. The features will also available via a firmware update today for 2010 and 2011 connected BRAVIAs, PCs, and Blu-ray Disc devices, so you’ll share a common experience among your Music Unlimited enabled devices.

We’ve also given PS3 users more power to adjust on the fly with the ability to edit playlists directly from the system. You can now create new playlists from scratch, delete or rename them. Songs can also be deleted or added to existing playlist providing complete control over your listening experience.

These are just a few of the numerous improvements, so dive in and let us know what your favorite is. If there’s something you’re dying for us to add, let’s hear it — we’re all ears!

PAGE 1 2

+ Cyb3rfr34k-iso on November 7th, 2011 at 10:47 am said:

take back all your PS Store games i brought from you and give me back my $

+ Cyb3rfr34k-iso on November 7th, 2011 at 10:51 am said:

i was complaining before because you lied about FOREVER to keep DLC for PS+ user
and now you remove 3/5 what i “tought” was mine!!?
seem like i always get rape by sony…
and by the way, peoples thinking who’ll be able to deactivate DEAD in the garbage PS3,
BELEIVE IN FALSE HOPE!

very sad but, true :(

+ BrianMcGuinness on November 7th, 2011 at 10:54 am said:

^mature

+ Busca-Cabezas on November 7th, 2011 at 10:58 am said:

Ok so… Will Music Unlimited ever be available in my area? How about an update that says Music Unlimited now available world wide? Or just the one I care about, Puerto Rico… How about that? Will Puerto Rico have the Music Unlimited service any time soon? Plz, make Music Unlimited available in Puerto Rico! :’(

+ EXO-Grey-Fox on November 7th, 2011 at 11:08 am said:

@ Cyb3rfr34k-iso

you okay bro?

+ Whitefire78 on November 7th, 2011 at 11:09 am said:

@1 & 2 Stop complaining, you still have your DLC that you have before NOV. 18. AND you still have your PS3′s. You should be happy that Sony is cutting down on this, because i know friends who share games without buying their own and it’s sad. If you read the agreement you would know you DON’T OWN THE DLC, it’s NOT YOURS. You can still activate and de active PS3′S for when you are using each one. Stop complaining and grow up. Or you could just go to Xbox where you have to buy each account, and even on top of that you can’t even share that DLC. Go cry some more.

+ rockinjs864 on November 7th, 2011 at 11:14 am said:

So is this saying there will be a PS3 firmware updare today?

+ FJ1100_rider on November 7th, 2011 at 11:24 am said:

@2
seriously ? when did Sony ever post you would keep free dlc available with plus forever ?
they have alway , even before plus was available , said and put in writing in the terms of use eula for playstation plus subscribers that you get to keep using :free: games and dlc only as long as you subscribe , have you ever read that user agreement or ignored it like most people ?
the uela for plus says , quite clearly that only themes , avatars and items you pay for at a discount are kept forever
stop whining , even the purchase agreement when you get free items with plus say it is licenced only while you subscribe )
if you want to complain about the change to activations then complain to the loser that caused this , the game sharing idiots that make developers lose millions of dollars
go onto any playstation forum , yahoo answers , etc. the day after any new game or dlc is released , especially any type of map pack dlc and there are dozens of people begging to game share , they are the reasson the rules changed

most users do not need to download on 5 ps3′s at once , those doing it are breaking the rules and should face some type of consequences , unfortunately theft harms the honest people too

+ MPaullin on November 7th, 2011 at 11:27 am said:

So I am completely uninformed about this music unlimited thing (even though I’ve seen it on the XMB, I’ve just kinda ignored it). Is it free? Is it kind of like Pandora where you can make your own stations? Thanks in advance!

Mike Aragon's Avatar

+ Greg Belloni on November 7th, 2011 at 12:04 pm said:

M – you can head over to http://www.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com/music-unlimited for more details. There are two pricing options — a Basic subscription is $3.99 and a Premium Subscription is $9.99 . But if you’ve never tried the service, you can take a 30 day test ride for free. “My Channels” is similar to Pandora and others — just select an artist and the channel populates with songs from that band and similar. As you “like” or “dislike” songs, the playlist adapts to your taste.

+ Cyb3rfr34k-iso on November 7th, 2011 at 11:34 am said:

@FJ1100_rider on

http: blog.us.playstation.com/2010/06/24/playstation-plus-your-questions-answered/

Each month there will be dynamic themes, premium avatars and premium game elements/add-ons for you to download and many will be exclusive to PlayStation Plus members only. These are yours to keep forever once you have downloaded them.

need more proof!?

im a PS+ user from DAY 1, in the 5 first minutes it launched right after the mandatory update to 3.40.

+ polo155 on November 7th, 2011 at 12:14 pm said:

@mpaulin: it’s sim to pandora with a subscription to over 8 million songs, I use it and it’s nice specially if you have a nice system hooked up to it.

Is the PS Vita gonna have this app with it’s 3G?

+ PaperCarrier on November 7th, 2011 at 1:11 pm said:

Canada?

Mike Aragon's Avatar

+ Greg Belloni on November 7th, 2011 at 2:42 pm said:

+ xeroxkid on November 7th, 2011 at 1:42 pm said:

How about a timeline graph to tell us how long songs are…. also a random option for the playlist…THX

+ kendan on November 7th, 2011 at 2:12 pm said:

If you haven’t already added an electronic chill station to your lineup, I recommend it. Even though I could create one based on a favorite artist, the mix of music always seems better coming from a set station. Pandora’s electronic chill station is most excellent, but if your music unlimited service had one, I might consider a subscription.

+ plaztiksyke on November 7th, 2011 at 2:13 pm said:

I’d be interested in this if it had the same audio quality as Spotify (320kbit/sec Ogg). But listening to Spotify and Music Unlimited side-by-side on both headphones and home theater speakers is no contest. PandoraOne and Music Unlimited are closer in quality, but PandoraOne still sounds better to me.

Does premium offer significantly better audio quality?

+ jgrizzle358 on November 7th, 2011 at 2:19 pm said:

I don’t understand why people pay $10 a month to listen to music they could just download for free.

+ Cat_Corye on November 7th, 2011 at 2:23 pm said:

@Cyb3rfr34k-iso

I don’t recall cry baby spider man, whats is powers?

Why not you cry about it somewhere else, some people here like PS+ the way it is, at least it isn’t overprice like Xbox Live and offers things you should get free.

+ musicman1234 on November 7th, 2011 at 2:39 pm said:

I actually tweeted about this yesterday..Great music,great selection and has become one of my fav things about my PS3.Would love to see game music in your catalog as I do not see any.
I have a few friends I have brought to your service Sir.

+ musicman1234 on November 7th, 2011 at 2:42 pm said:

I also will add I am using optical out on my PS3 straight into a pair of 4300 series JBL’s that can sample music up to 96K with built in Crown power amps..Quality is awesome.

+ PaperCarrier on November 7th, 2011 at 3:11 pm said:

+ Greg Belloni

Lies, I CAN’T FIND the Music Unlimited app ANYWHERE in the PS Store.

Mike Aragon's Avatar

+ Greg Belloni on November 7th, 2011 at 4:13 pm said:

The app is not in the Store! Just look under the Music Icon on the XMB… click on the Music Unlimited app to download and you can then sign up for a Music Unlimited account.

+ Sgt_0951 on November 7th, 2011 at 3:15 pm said:

I’ll stick to Pandora & iTunes for my music needs, but its good to see Sony making Music Unlimited more competitive in the market.

+ GeneralDissaray on November 7th, 2011 at 3:21 pm said:

C’mon you twerps, let’s get a Playstation Plus discount on this fine service you yella belly sidewinders.

+ JaY_Ci_415 on November 7th, 2011 at 3:22 pm said:

Why can I only listen to small 30 second clips of each song and not the entire one?

Mike Aragon's Avatar

+ Greg Belloni on November 7th, 2011 at 4:15 pm said:

If you’re only hearing 30 second clips, you’re either not signed in or only have a Basic account. If you have the Basic account, you can head full length songs by selecting any of the pre-populated Channels. Premium accounts get access to over 10 million full tracks on demand.

+ Sephir007 on November 7th, 2011 at 3:34 pm said:

Come on bring the service to Mexico, please..

+ duff916 on November 7th, 2011 at 3:38 pm said:

When the Music Unlimited screen saver comes on and then one of my friends pops online/offline the screen save goes away. It makes the screen saver kinda pointless if you have enough friends on your list.

Has this been fixed? If not, will it ever get fixed?

+ GGCAN on November 7th, 2011 at 4:17 pm said:

Mike/Greg:

Greg mentioned it’s available in Canada as a reply to comment 12

“+ PaperCarrier on November 7th, 2011 at 1:11 pm said:

Canada?

+ Greg Belloni on November 7th, 2011 at 2:42 pm said:

Yes! This update is available for all regions that get the Music Unlimited service including Canada.”

, but when I try to start it up, I get a message:

‘This service is not available in your country”.

Mike Aragon's Avatar

+ Greg Belloni on November 7th, 2011 at 4:30 pm said:

Ah! Everyone — In my haste to get you answers, I spaced out — GGCAN is correct, we haven’t launched Music Unlimited in Canada at this time. Was confusing our Video Unlimited service, which launched in Canada back in February of this year. Please accept my apologies… I blame it on the Mondays! Rest assured we’re working diligently to expand the service to other regions and will let you know when it will happen. Thanks.

+ cjhauserman on November 7th, 2011 at 4:48 pm said:

This really should be free, or at least free to PS+ subs…if I’m gonna listen to music I will just go to the browser and listen to Pandora, or just plug my iPhone into my receiver…

Mike Aragon's Avatar

+ Greg Belloni on November 7th, 2011 at 4:54 pm said:

CJ — if you’re a first time user, you can try a 180 day Basic subscription for free. Just download the PS3 app via the Music Icon in the XMB and you’ll see the offer when you first sign in. Alternately, you can sign up for 30 day Premium subscription here: http://www.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com/music-unlimited. These offers are only for first-time Music Unlimited users.

+ TUSTIN1 on November 7th, 2011 at 4:58 pm said:

Way to get our hopes up, Greg…

+ diavolatinoboy23 on November 7th, 2011 at 5:30 pm said:

One simple Question: When Will Canada Get Music Unlimited?

+ Midgetguy on November 7th, 2011 at 6:12 pm said:

I think it would be really cool if we could subscribe to this service using our PSN Wallets under our account. I really do enjoy the service, (I used a free trial earlier.) But, I would love to have the ability to purchase a subscription using a PSN Card instead of my credit card.

And, I’m sure if you offered a special deal for Playstation Plus users, you’d get a whole new wave of subscribers too!

But, really, that second bit isn’t nearly as important as the first. The ability to purchase a subscription through our PSN account is seriously important to me, and I’m sure a lot of other people as well.

Thank you for hearing me out. The service is really great and it’s a lot of fun to use! It’s so user friendly and the overall presentation is very nice!

Mike Aragon's Avatar

+ Greg Belloni on November 8th, 2011 at 9:16 am said:

You can! Simply sign in here with your PSN account: https://account.qriocity.com. Your account must have an associated email address for identification purposes, but otherwise the PSN and Sony Entertainment Network accounts are linked. Once you’re signed in, you can enter your PSN card as usual and use your wallet cash to purchase the account.

+ candycabngfl on November 7th, 2011 at 6:14 pm said:

This could be worth considering if it was able to stream music while gaming, otherwise It seems to be no better than many other similar free or paid services already in the market. Not trying to be negative, its just the way this service appears to me. I know this is basically just an app but I wish Sony would work harder at making the PS3 a better game console rather than a “LOOK AT ME ! …. I DO EVERYTHING !” set top box. Good Luck with this ! :-)

+ AyatoKamina2 on November 7th, 2011 at 6:57 pm said:

Quite honestly i think this is still kinda lame. I understand that this service is there for people who want a radio experience like Pandora and others but what i really want is something like iTunes with this kind of service in it.

Like say i turned this service on and was listening to it and a really good song came on and i just had to have it. The usual way i would go about this is see if its on iTunes, and if its not in my region or whatever I’m out of luck. So i have to sit there and wait for it to pop up again. What i would like to do is just pay $1 to buy it then and there as i find it and maybe download it as an MP3 so i can put it on another device and take it with me on the go.

+ JoeBears on November 7th, 2011 at 7:04 pm said:

Excellent update! It would be great of you could listen to your own playlists in a random order. Also, give the ability to tweak the channels so you can hear more popular “hit” songs. Some of the songs that come up I have never heard of!

Mike Aragon's Avatar

+ Greg Belloni on November 8th, 2011 at 9:18 am said:

Thanks Joe. Appreciate the feedback. As you like and dislike songs on the channels, you’ll start to see the channel adapt more to your type of music.

+ PaperCarrier on November 7th, 2011 at 7:38 pm said:

No Music unlimited icon under my XMB music category.

+ PirateHarlock on November 7th, 2011 at 7:47 pm said:

This would’ve been worth considering if it worked outside the united states. Y’know all those other places where most of the worlds population lives, ie. lots of potential customers. But then with the unilateral and unjustified restrections placed on what your customers do with content they legally bought & paid for its better off giving this a pass. Who knows when sony will decide if anyone else in my house hears me listening to music unlimited they’ll decide that its stealing from sony or worse. I know, how about this, since sony is so obsessed with using its customers as a bottomless ATM how bout you install monitoring devices in all our homes with cameras and charges $10 every time someone types, writes or merely utters the name of sony. It is a trademark after all. Perhaps sony could charge us to watch their infrequent tv commercials too. Yes I know trolls, all 3 or 4 of them, will jump all over this. Its called sarcasm, and its directed at the idiocy you so blindly defend with your cultish devotion.

Mike Aragon's Avatar

+ Greg Belloni on November 8th, 2011 at 9:21 am said:

Music Unlimited is currently available in 9 countries including the UK, Ireland, France, Germany, Italy, Spain, Australia, New Zealand, and the United States. We’re working to extend the service to other regions so say tuned!

+ DudeItsKyle on November 7th, 2011 at 9:22 pm said:

Are you guys ever going to make a free subscription plan for Music Unlimited. Maybe have it support ADs. I’m just giving some tips. If it was free people would actually be able try it out and if they like the service and want a AD free experience they’ll opt in for a paid subscription with no ADs. Seems like a logical way to make even more money out of this service. You can Thank me later for the idea. =P

+ jds07 on November 7th, 2011 at 11:08 pm said:

So basically, we now have a “Pandora” feature on Music Unlimited. Nice. I would be more impressed if developers would let us use Music Unlimited as custom soundtrack feature.

+ kdiep on November 8th, 2011 at 12:06 am said:

Man I love Music Unlimited and will probably love it more now with all these new functionalities (if they come to the PC/Website app) but one thing that really bugs me is that I never stay logged in. Everytime I go to music.qriocity.com, I have to log in. Even though I check the “Remember my sign-in ID” option. I might have misunderstood that part but it definitively doesn’t feel like checking the box does anything because I have to type in my ID everytime I go to your page.

+ kdiep on November 8th, 2011 at 12:07 am said:

Oh and please bring more Chinese/Japanese music will you, it’s almost the only reason why I choose you over other services.

+ quiomar01 on November 8th, 2011 at 4:13 am said:

Why is music unlimited still not available in Central America?

+ T5144891169 on November 8th, 2011 at 4:50 am said:

Guess content is not available to Canada:

As i get this message:

Sorry, this service is not available in the country/region for your account.
Your account cannot show this content.
To learn more about the music service, visit http://www.SonyEntertainmentNetwork.com/support.
To learn about other services, visit http://www.SonyEntertainmentNetwork.com.

+ tcviper on November 8th, 2011 at 4:55 am said:

When is this finally available in the Netherlands? I want this so badly :( Any news on this Sony?
Also do you expect an iphone app to become available some time for Music unlimited/Video unlimited?

+ dilbig5 on November 8th, 2011 at 5:05 am said:

@Cyb3rfr34k-iso

Not only does “premium” not mean free, but you must not have read the other part of that post.

“Once downloaded, the games are yours to keep and play as long as you are a member of PlayStation Plus. If your subscription lapses and then you re-subscribe, the games you have already downloaded will reactivate, so you still have access to them.”

+ lele1620 on November 8th, 2011 at 6:28 am said:

there needs to be another update why does music unlimited UI look so cheap outdated
update it to look like video unlimited that makes more sense come on sony as much as i love you sometimes you do things so backwards and why haven’t you added vidzone and crackle to PS3 xmb there really is no excuse at this point just do it as come on now

+ EggySong85 on November 8th, 2011 at 7:04 am said:

Music unlimited delivers MORE… unless you live abroad.

+ jonathan_val on November 8th, 2011 at 7:16 am said:

MEXICO WHEN ???? :(

+ CommandingTiger on November 8th, 2011 at 7:23 am said:

When is the Music Unlimited coming to Canada?
So far, you’ve added the Video portion of it, wich is great btw.

But one of the things I don’t like is the languages restrictions.
When I started my account, I decided to go with french, since it’s my natal language, but that didn’t mean I wanted my movies to be uniquely french. I’d rather see them in their original form, wich is mostly in english.

What I’m suggesting, why not give the player the option of wich languages he wants to buy, or better yet, why not have both languages avaible when you purchase a movie? They have all the languagues on a DVD or Blu-Ray disc.

Also, The french portion of the store don’t have any TV shows, doesn’t really bothers me but couldn’t you at least make the english shows avaible for everyone? I’m screwed over because I can’t purchase the shows I want simply because I chose French when I started my account, and you can’t change it…

I’d be great if you could combine them both into 1.

+ CommandingTiger on November 8th, 2011 at 7:25 am said:

When will it be avaible in Canada?

+ fathead170 on November 8th, 2011 at 8:27 am said:

love the service but sadlyl cannot afford it. should deffintly be added onto playstation plus service at least a full month of service for free :) keep the updates coming though!

PAGE 1 2