PS4 - Destiny

Medieval Moves: Deadmund’s Quest – Now This is FUN

Mark Wilson's Avatar + Posted by Mark Wilson on Nov 10, 2011 // Community Specialist, San Diego Studios

Medievil Moves: Deadmund's Quest for PS3

As a life-long gamer (four plus decades) I’ve seen many, many games. Some great and some…well, not-so-great. The first and foremost question that I ask for ANY game is simply “is it any fun?” If all the technical aspects of a game do not add to a sense of immersion or fun then I consider that game a missed opportunity.

I recently sat in for the first time with the game team on Medieval Moves: Deadmund’s Quest while they were putting the finishing touches on the game, coming Tuesday, November 15th. Not to my surprise, the game not only met my expectations but far surpassed them.

The first comment I will make to anyone who asks me to best describe Medieval Moves: Deadmund’s Quest will simply be “try it.” I know that statement won’t win any literary awards for video game commentary, but it is my honest answer. Those that have tried Medieval Moves: Deadmund’s Quest agree that the gameplay speaks volumes.

Medievil Moves: Deadmund's Quest for PS3

In one scenario, a hoard of skeletons charged straight at me. I knew I was in trouble…out-numbered, and more than a little frightened. Then I thought of my supply of dynamite. Instead of having to recall the button preses needed to access and launch my stick of dynamite, I simply held the PlayStation Move motion controller in front of me, shielding its light from the camera in order to keep the fuse lit. At just the right time I chucked that bad boy into the hoard and actually snickered at the thought of my devious efforts. That was so much more fun and rewarding than a combination of button presses. In fact, I couldn’t wait to do it over and over and over again. Simple. Immersive. Intuitive. And very fun!

During another scenario in the game’s online competitive mode called “Cauldron of Chaos,” my online opponent and I were fending off waves of attackers. The goal is not to kill the attackers, but release their essence. This essence then fills the one of four cauldrons that can be tipped over to summon more attackers onto your opponent. The last one standing wins! I found this competitive concept refreshing and surprisingly rewarding, making for a genuinely rich game that the whole family can play. Features such as a simple in-game invite system, updated online play series, leaderboard challenges, unlockables, and customizable soundtracks really add to the fun. Imagine the possibilities!

Medievil Moves: Deadmund's Quest for PS3

I found myself experiencing these type of moments again and again and I knew I was experiencing much, much, more than a great follow-up to Sports Champions for the PS3.

I could tell the team at Zindagi Games, San Diego Studio and the PlayStation family are VERY proud of this game. The demo is available right now in the PlayStation Store for you to try today. Go get it, what are you waiting for?

Just remember: file it under F.U.N.!

+ RahCailum on November 10th, 2011 at 3:37 pm said:

sounds like a fun game! cant wait to get.

+ Mark Wilson on November 11th, 2011 at 11:33 am said:

It really is fun. My whole family is into it. Even my wife!

+ Thwip on November 10th, 2011 at 3:40 pm said:

Thanx for the post Mark, a well written read of the game. Having already tried the demo, I would also encapsulate the game under the word F.U.N.! I have most of the Move specific games, and I look forward to adding this title in the very near future!

+ Mark Wilson on November 11th, 2011 at 11:37 am said:

Thank you for the kind words. First and foremost we set out to make a genuinely fun game. We are really glad you agree!

+ xxThe_Fuhrer-xx on November 10th, 2011 at 3:54 pm said:

My 10 year old brother loved the demo. He wants me to buy it so that he can play it. on my PS3. Lets see….. Anyways I thought it was great and using the Move made it a more immerse game. Looked pretty cool. Good job on making this game

+ Mark Wilson on November 11th, 2011 at 11:40 am said:

Hearing feedback like “fun for our family” really means a lot to the team. At every step of the process we made sure we were continuing with that in mind. Thank you for your support! Have fun!

+ waranabatokwa on November 10th, 2011 at 4:03 pm said:

i thoroughly enjoyed the demo.. it was so much fun.. played it about 4 times and i even found out there was a secret path where you encounter tougher enemies.. i’m glad about the idea of branching paths in this game..

+ Mark Wilson on November 11th, 2011 at 11:42 am said:

If you enjoyed the demo you will LOVE the whole game. Thanks for the encouraging words!

+ JrXC on November 10th, 2011 at 4:06 pm said:

This is the most creative game I have seen in a while! Good job everyone that worked on it! Also, since it is a PS Move game, what will the price be? $40.00?

+ Blkant on November 10th, 2011 at 4:18 pm said:

Honestly, this game was more than anything a major reminder on how badly Cambridge studio needs to get the old people back together and make a new Medievil for PS3 (but NOT a move game, as its just not appropriate for it).

In any case, the sort of atmosphere this game has just slightly reminded me of it, and as such, will be a good way to finally get some use out of my move controllers. :)

+ dacuad on November 10th, 2011 at 4:21 pm said:

I preordered this game few days ago, it’s very fun

+ Mark Wilson on November 11th, 2011 at 11:51 am said:

Thank you for your support. You will love it!

+ KSPRAYDAD on November 10th, 2011 at 4:27 pm said:

A very enjoyable demo.

+ Gueeds on November 10th, 2011 at 5:12 pm said:

Great job, Jeremy!

+ Mark Wilson on November 11th, 2011 at 11:53 am said:

lol

+ rockinjs864 on November 10th, 2011 at 5:14 pm said:

This is one of the two last games I want to get for the rest of the year to add to the Move collection but with the huge backlog I have I might have to wait for christmas before I get it unless I find a great deal for it on black friday but this is for sure one of the most wanted Move games of the year

+ Mark Wilson on November 11th, 2011 at 11:54 am said:

We will be waiting for you. Christmas is just around the corner!

and thank you for the high praise!

+ remanutd5 on November 10th, 2011 at 5:22 pm said:

i have just tried the demo and i think its pretty fun , i just wish we could use the navigation controller instead of the game moving automatically but im seriously thinking about getting since it has online co op multiplayer

+ Mark Wilson on November 11th, 2011 at 11:56 am said:

The online co-op is a lot of fun. We will be on every once in a while for a go at it with you all. Be watching for us!

+ letherclad on November 10th, 2011 at 5:43 pm said:

I haven’t tried the demo yet but I have it preordered, I’ve been pretty excited for this

+ Mark Wilson on November 11th, 2011 at 11:57 am said:

We think you’ll like it. Thanks for ordering it. Much appreciated!

+ TomHoang on November 10th, 2011 at 5:52 pm said:

I think I’m in the minority that thinks this game would be less fun if it wasn’t on rails. I really enjoyed the demo and I look forward to picking it up soon.

+ lisatsunami on November 10th, 2011 at 6:13 pm said:

@11, they couldn’t use the Nav since you need the second controller for your shield & most of us don’ t have 3 hands. I’m just starting the demo so I don’t know what happens if you choose just 1 controller.

+ lisatsunami on November 10th, 2011 at 6:40 pm said:

Ok, just got to bookmark 2 or 3 on the demo. I’m exhausted & worried about putting my wrist out of joint. It’s cute but I’m going to wait & read user reviews.

+ Mark Wilson on November 11th, 2011 at 12:19 pm said:

It’s always good to take a break. It’s hard to do when you are having a lot fun but it’s good advice. :)

+ poodude on November 10th, 2011 at 7:58 pm said:

This game frustrates me because it reminds me that we haven’t had a new Medievil game in years. Get on that Sony!

But for the sake of nostalgia I’m buying it because it reminds me of Medievil :P. Good to hear it’s scoring well though, you guys have been doing well with the Move!

+ Mark Wilson on November 11th, 2011 at 12:23 pm said:

We really enjoy making Move games and are thrilled you recognize our efforts!

+ LeeorV on November 10th, 2011 at 11:20 pm said:

Please make this a simultaneous digital release…

I’m still waiting for Ratchet & Clank : all 4 one, which was promised to us back at 18.10 ….

+ God-Of-Lyf on November 11th, 2011 at 8:43 am said:

Played the demo and fell in love. Can’t wait to continue the game on Tuesday!!!

+ Mark Wilson on November 11th, 2011 at 12:23 pm said:

Me too!

+ ManaKnight on November 11th, 2011 at 3:04 pm said:

The demo was so much fun. I am buying the game on release. Despite all that I’m buying next week, this is the only game I’m buying ON release. :D

+ Mark Wilson on November 11th, 2011 at 3:19 pm said:

Wow!
    Now THAT is an honor to hear! Thank you!

+ IntenseGamma on November 11th, 2011 at 5:05 pm said:

Just paid my preorder off for this game. Played the demo a few times and kids and I really enjoyed the game.I can’t wait to finally get some good use out of the move controller.

+ Mark Wilson on November 11th, 2011 at 5:25 pm said:

I have kids myself and they are really looking forward to showing their friends.
    btw… I am also a big kid and can’t wait to show MY friends too!

+ PS_man1984 on November 11th, 2011 at 6:32 pm said:

Is this game on-rails? Or can you control the character directly with the Navigation Controller?

If it’s on rails, then no buy. Zelda: Skyward Sword beats this game by a mile, with it’s fully interactive environments, sidequests, dungeons, full 1:1 sword control, innovative items, bird-flying, huge overworld, etc.

What does this game have to offer that makes it better than Zelda? Can you roam around the world freely? Or are you restricted to an on-rails experience?

+ PS_man1984 on November 11th, 2011 at 6:35 pm said:

If this game is on-rails, then no buy. Can you explore the environment freely? Do you have any direct control over your character with the Navigation Controller?

If your answers to both of these are no, then Zelda: Skyward Sword beats this game by a landslide. Full 1:1 sword-fighting, sidequests, dungeons, innovative items, exploration of a huge world, enticing story and characters.

What does Medieval Moves have that makes it better than Zelda? If it’s just an on-rails experience (like House of the Dead), then I’m not buying it.

+ Alkazaar777 on November 11th, 2011 at 7:34 pm said:

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh yeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh

+ xColo- on November 12th, 2011 at 12:32 pm said:

I read most of the comments and I have to say.. I should really try this demo!

I’m on my way right now to it. I hope it’s as good as everyone says it is. :)

+ Phillyblunz on November 14th, 2011 at 8:50 am said:

@21, thats like the 100th Zelda game, and this is the first Dedmonds game.

Even still, does Zelda have throwing stars? Bow and arrows? Dynamite?

If you have played Sport Champions you would have a decent idea what this game will be like.

Besides Zelda doesnt live on PS3 street. (But it sounds cool, if it plays on WiiU maybe I’ll give it a go)

I hear you on the “rails” portion, but I am confident these guys can make it work.

Finally it is family oriented, they want grammas and babies playin this thing so it needs to be dummy proof.
Being on rails makes the game more enjoyable to watch too as you dont need to wait while people like me scour the environment for secrets, etc.

I didnt know a demo was out, off to try it, LOL.

+ ehud12 on November 15th, 2011 at 6:24 am said:

I’ve been looking all over for the new bundle (amazon.com, etc), but can’t find it anywhere online. where can i order it from???