PS4 - Transistor

Official PlayStation Blogcast Episode 001: Greatness from small beginnings

Sid Shuman's Avatar + Posted by Sid Shuman on Nov 23, 2011 // Senior Manager, Social Media

Introducing the Official PlayStation.Blogcast!

I know we’re a little late to the podcast party, but we wanted to ensure we could offer more than just four guys chatting about games. PlayStation’s specialty is creating experiences that you can’t find anywhere else, so we wanted to extend that philosophy to our long-awaited podcast… which, by the way, launches right here, right now. Enjoy!

When crafting the podcast’s purpose, the team identified three goals:

• Share exclusive first details on next week’s PSN game lineup
  • Answer questions from the PlayStation community
  • Evolve to meet YOUR needs
  • Tune in to learn what’s hitting PlayStation Store this coming Tuesday, November 29th, then check back Sunday afternoon for a full list of all PSN and Blu-ray games with The Drop.

Subscription Links:

Official PlayStation.Blogcast - Sid ShumanOfficial PlayStation.Blogcast: Jeff Rubenstein

Official PlayStation.Blogcast: Nick SuttnerOfficial PlayStation.Blogcast: Rey Gutierrez

The Cast

• Sid Shuman – PlayStation Sr. Social Media Specialist
  • Jeff Rubenstein – PlayStation Sr. Social Media Manager
  • Rey Gutierrez – PlayStation Sr. Social Media Specialist
  • Nick Suttner – PlayStation Product Evaluator
  • In our inaugural episode, we share the full PSN game lineup for this coming Tuesday (including The Sly Collection), discuss newly revealed PS Vita titles Unit 13 from Zipper and MotorStorm RC from Evolution Studios, name our first PSN Gem of the Week, wax nostalgic about PS3’s five-year birthday, share our character origins from The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, and run down PSN’s new Fall Sale that offers 30-50% off games such as Limbo and Might & Magic: Clash of Heroes. Nick also shares some surprising news about the PS3 psychosexual puzzler Catherine. Oh, and “Corn Love.”

All in all, not a bad first show! But we’re biased, so give it a listen and let us know what you think in the comments below or email us here.

Also, very special thanks to Cory Schmitz for our beautiful logo, and Dormilón for our rad theme song and show music. And special thanks to Astro Gaming headsets for providing audio gear.

PAGE 1 2 3

+ Kchow23 on November 23rd, 2011 at 2:49 pm said:

Finally! after waiting for so long!

+ GGCAN on November 23rd, 2011 at 2:57 pm said:

Great thanks Sid.

Watch lots of podcasts already on my PS3 via Tversity.

Definately need this one for Playstation !

+ GGCAN on November 23rd, 2011 at 2:59 pm said:

Seems to be audio only.

Can we have a video podcast, say something like Pulse has now ?

+ Sid Shuman on November 23rd, 2011 at 3:11 pm said:

Yep — we’re purists. :) We talked about doing a video version, but what makes a good video isn’t what makes a good listening experience and vice-versa. We wanted to squarely land the audio format before considering anything else. Thanks for the feedback!

+ Nintendo451 on November 23rd, 2011 at 3:01 pm said:

Man…I sure wish I could listen to this podcast on my an official PlayStation Android or iOS mobile app. That’d be nice… you know, that app that was said to be coming out some time this year?

:P Starting up the podcast right now, thanks a lot everyone!

+ Jeff Rubenstein on November 23rd, 2011 at 4:02 pm said:

App is apparently not far off, though it won’t work with the podcast at first. Baby steps!

+ Enigma777 on November 23rd, 2011 at 3:01 pm said:

2 years later better than never. Hallelujah!

+ EvoAnubis on November 23rd, 2011 at 3:09 pm said:

Finally! Freaking sweet; downloading it now…at which point it’ll upload to Google Music. Think just for fun, I’ll archive all of these.

+ remanutd5 on November 23rd, 2011 at 3:09 pm said:

is this gonna be on the playstation vita ? i hope to see a playstation blog app on the vita

+ Jeff Rubenstein on November 23rd, 2011 at 4:02 pm said:

Probably not at launch, but the mp3s will of course play on it.

+ Zarxce on November 23rd, 2011 at 3:12 pm said:

Just in the nick of time. Was just on my way out to work (where I typically listen to my podcasts during monotonous tasks). So this just made my day. I’m subscribed at iTunes and look forward to listening.

Do you have an idea for a schedule yet? What day this will typically release? And it is a weekly thing I’m assuming, right? Irrational Interviews is another favorite podcast of mine but that updates like..maybe 10 times a year if I’m lucky (though I’m sure Ken Levine and co. is quite busy with Bioshock Infinite so they have a good excuse).

+ Jeff Rubenstein on November 23rd, 2011 at 4:03 pm said:

Going to be weekly (most weeks), aiming for it to hit on Thursdays. We travel a lot, so look for people to drift in and out, and for the publish date to occasionally slip a day or so.

+ IGLOO05 on November 23rd, 2011 at 3:17 pm said:

Love the intro! Listening now.

+ Jeff Rubenstein on November 23rd, 2011 at 4:04 pm said:

Dormilón did an amazing job, right? Visit his site! (link above)

+ Boyzby on November 23rd, 2011 at 3:18 pm said:

Finally, an official PlayStation podcast! I’m sure I’ll look forward to every iteration. ^_^
    How often will a new episode pop up?

+ Sid Shuman on November 24th, 2011 at 1:50 pm said:

Every week, shooting for Thursdays

+ B-Real206 on November 23rd, 2011 at 3:20 pm said:

Thanks for this!!! I’m listening to it now. If you do a video cast version please make it available on PSN+

+ MaverickSEY on November 23rd, 2011 at 3:21 pm said:

will listen to every episode but it is gonna have to be pretty amazing to be better than podcast beyond!

+ RE_Player on November 23rd, 2011 at 3:24 pm said:

Just subscribed on iTunes. I’ve been waiting for you guys to a podcast for sooooo long. Can’t wait to listen to it tomorrow on my commute.

+ Sid Shuman on November 24th, 2011 at 1:50 pm said:

Let us know what you think! ^_^

+ kc_chang on November 23rd, 2011 at 3:27 pm said:

OH YEA!!! BEST THANKSGIVING EVER!!!! I’m loving it.

+ EvoAnubis on November 23rd, 2011 at 3:27 pm said:

Yes, Jeff; you need to watch Community. Why are you not watching that? Next thing you’ll tell me is that you don’t watch Breaking Bad.

+ Kchow23 on November 23rd, 2011 at 3:29 pm said:

Wow got to play MGS4 early and got to give feedback to Mr Kojima and the team at KP!? So jealous!

+ Sid Shuman on November 24th, 2011 at 1:50 pm said:

It was an honor ^_^

+ M-Easy on November 23rd, 2011 at 3:30 pm said:

Sweet, me likey!

+ WrekGar on November 23rd, 2011 at 3:32 pm said:

Sweet you know I will be listening with keen ears to this when I get home….

+ phatmillips on November 23rd, 2011 at 3:34 pm said:

Issue I have with this idea is that it might be hard if not impossible for you to be subjective of your opinions because you may need to remain neutral to the developers/publishers that proivde you with your games.

The reason why I listen to podcasts, gaming podcasts, is for the subjective debate, banter and rants. Saying the negative as much as the positive.

I’ll give this episode a try though.

+ Jeff Rubenstein on November 23rd, 2011 at 4:08 pm said:

You’re right about that, so we won’t be doing reviews, more about informing. Of course, the same could be said about this blog, and you’re reading it, right?

+ Neil on November 23rd, 2011 at 3:38 pm said:

I have been asking for this day 1. Will subscribe!

+ MR_Hessla on November 23rd, 2011 at 3:39 pm said:

BEYOND!! erhhh, wrong podcast lol glad we finally have a official playstation podcast,and just before thanksgiving!

+ Neil on November 23rd, 2011 at 3:40 pm said:

Oh and get ManGod!

+ EvoAnubis on November 23rd, 2011 at 3:50 pm said:

WHOA! Catherine at EVO? I never would have even thought of that. Now that it’s on the table, that would be sweet as hell to watch.

+ Kchow23 on November 23rd, 2011 at 3:51 pm said:

Finished listening to the first episode. I thought that the bit about the PS Store Update for next week and some of the highlights for this week dragged a bit too long and was a bit unorganized. Possibly pick 5 highlights and talk about them at length and then run through the rest of the list at a decent pace? Though maybe some of that would be replaced with user questions. I really like the 1 hour mark and maybe 1:30 for special episodes but don’t go above that.

Would be great if you guys announced what is PS+ and whats for everyone since at times I was confused as to which one you guys were talking about. For instance, Outland is priced at $6 for all users and $4 for PS+. However, I thought the latter half of the podcast really picked up and was far more interesting. Overall, a really nice start and I am looking forward to the next one!

+ Jeff Rubenstein on November 23rd, 2011 at 4:09 pm said:

Agreed – it all went a bit longer than it usually will.

+ ERC1980 on November 23rd, 2011 at 3:57 pm said:

Hi Sid I have a few questions for you that i would like to have answered on the next podcast.

Will handheld gaming will die off after PS Vita in your opinion? Will the rise of tablet gaming signal the end of traditional handheld gaming as we know it? Could you imagine Sony bowing out of the handheld market if that were the case. i personally do see the vita being even more sucessful than the psp was. Do you see Vita having an uphill battle against the 3ds due nintendos handheld getting an early head start?

will be looking forward to the next podcast :)

+ Sid Shuman on November 24th, 2011 at 1:51 pm said:

Thanks for these. It might be difficult to sound off about these topics — we’re less focused on opinions and analysis than we are news and community, but it’s good to know what you’re looking for.

+ Pesico on November 23rd, 2011 at 3:59 pm said:

Greatness from small beginnings indeed. Gonna keep listening to this.

+ Sid Shuman on November 24th, 2011 at 1:52 pm said:

Thanks much! Any suggestions?

+ V_Ben on November 23rd, 2011 at 4:01 pm said:

Excellent work guys, glad to see this finally coming together! I loved the weird “inside baseball” feel of it, the Elijah Wood in God of War 3 talk was genuinely a “oh wow, awesome!” moment, especially after those debunked rumours of him being in Ghost Of Sparta.

Cheers guys! :)

+ lisatsunami on November 23rd, 2011 at 4:03 pm said:

Wow, welcome to 2006!

Listening to it now, love it. You all have very nice voices. And I resent the 4 Dudes thing. Girls are gamers, too. How about rotating fan favorites like Christina Lee & Abby Reyes? And Grace?

Anyway, sounds great so far.

+ Jeff Rubenstein on November 23rd, 2011 at 4:09 pm said:

Oh, agreed – we didn’t want it to be that way, just kinda worked out like that. We’ll be bringing in guests, absolutely.

+ B-Real206 on November 23rd, 2011 at 4:03 pm said:

Community is Awesome, I watch that Office and Parks and Rec! Please bring back Legend of Dragoon on PSN, in time for Vita would be nice.

My Question for you guys would be, ” what would you like to see added in a new firmware?”

I like hour format, I did hear in the podcast that this one was longer that it would normally be, but I think it should stand. Good job guys!

+ Kchow23 on November 23rd, 2011 at 4:05 pm said:

As far as guests these are some off the top of my head that I would like to see:

1) Greg Miller – How can you not? He should be there at least once.
    2) David Jaffe – Maybe for an update on Twisted Metal and discussion on games.
    3) Amy Hennig and some of the folk at Naughty Dog – Discuss Uncharted 3 and maybe answer some of the questions that we have about the story or how they went about development. (Spoilercast idea)
    4) Sean Eyestone and some of the guys from the KP Podcast/Productions – Hopefully some updates on MGS Rising by the time the trailer comes out at the VGAs since there has been almost no coverage on the PS3 side and we are the TRUE fans.
    5) Dylan Jobe – To talk about Starhawk and the beta.
    6) Scott Rodhe – Update on the PS Vita and developers.
    7) Jeff Gerstmann – Game discussion and hes overall a funny guy.

+ Jeff Rubenstein on November 23rd, 2011 at 4:10 pm said:

I don’t know Sean, but I’d love to have every single one of those people on the podcast, and we’ll make an effort to make that happen.

+ kevhed69 on November 23rd, 2011 at 4:16 pm said:

It would be nice if you could reply to others comments too or add to theirs so that it would be a bit easier.

+ krae_man on November 23rd, 2011 at 4:24 pm said:

Can someone ask Nick if he is secretly playtesting Gripshift 2?

+ krae_man on November 23rd, 2011 at 4:25 pm said:

Another question, are you all in the same room or skyping?

+ Jeff Rubenstein on November 24th, 2011 at 11:08 am said:

We were all just sitting in my office, actually. Interviews over skype/phone just don’t work as well, I don’t think.

+ vince8502 on November 23rd, 2011 at 4:26 pm said:

is this blogcast on the media Go podcast list so I can download automatically?

+ Jeff Rubenstein on November 24th, 2011 at 11:09 am said:

not YET, but we’ll work on that. Good point.

+ Kchow23 on November 23rd, 2011 at 4:29 pm said:

Last few thoughts… I liked the “tip of the week” that you guys gave and if you guys could have one every week would be nice for those that may not know about having firmware updates on a USB stick and other handy tips. Also maybe having the listener of the week would be nice… Podcast beyond used to do this where one person would get a shoutout.

Lastly, I sent in a question that has you guys dipping a bit into the negative side of things, but I was wondering what if you guys didn’t dwell so much on being a “bad” game but instead in things that they could’ve done better?

PS. Nice burn, Jeff! Someone had to say what we all know! ;)

+ Jeff Rubenstein on November 24th, 2011 at 11:10 am said:

Thanks for the feedback. DS3 D-pad FTW!

+ EvoAnubis on November 23rd, 2011 at 4:30 pm said:

To me, an hour is the perfect length for a podcast. Great first show!

*(re)starts slow clap*

+ Jeff Rubenstein on November 24th, 2011 at 11:11 am said:

thanks! We aim to go a bit shorter on average, but I guess it depends on how much there is to talk about.

+ Kchow23 on November 23rd, 2011 at 4:31 pm said:

Oh and a video cast would be nice sort of what they do at the Full Moon Show (some of those guys should come to the blogcast to talk R3 and Rachet and Clank!).

+ Loy310 on November 23rd, 2011 at 4:33 pm said:

Intro music was EPIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Izzzz wantzz ringzzzz tonezzzzzzzzz, izz wantzz it nowzzz!

+ mafia28 on November 23rd, 2011 at 4:35 pm said:

Great podcast guys!!

And not to sound like a know it all but Helios was voiced by Crispin Freeman, Elijah Wood voiced the “voice” that everyone assumed to be Kratos brother.

Cant wait for next weeks blogcast!

+ Jeff Rubenstein on November 24th, 2011 at 11:12 am said:

You’re right, I mixed up my Helios and my Deimos. Mythology is confusing.

+ DeathGazer on November 23rd, 2011 at 4:39 pm said:

Finally!

Putting this on my iPod right now.

+ Sid Shuman on November 24th, 2011 at 1:52 pm said:

Let us know what you think! :)

+ newsense2008 on November 23rd, 2011 at 4:45 pm said:

You guys should have made the guys at radioplaystation.com show official. This was alright but was a little corporate and dull sounding. Maybe you guys could have them on as guests or just make them official and sponsor them, their show is pretty entertaining.

+ Sid Shuman on November 24th, 2011 at 1:52 pm said:

Thanks for the pointers, we’ll investigate!

+ germix27 on November 23rd, 2011 at 4:45 pm said:

Dagn! Awesome guys! Here from argentina!
    Listening right now! AWESOME!

+ Jeff Rubenstein on November 24th, 2011 at 11:13 am said:

Wow, thank you!

+ Train1999 on November 23rd, 2011 at 4:46 pm said:

This Playstation Blog Podcast is great. I have it on my IPhone. This is great video game talk that I want to hear from a loyal Sony fan since 1995.

+ Sid Shuman on November 24th, 2011 at 1:53 pm said:

Thanks for the kind words! Don’t hesitate to share your wishes for future shows.

+ bobojs on November 23rd, 2011 at 5:01 pm said:

I have been a playstation fan for years and i have a few questions.

1. Will there ever be a hd collection for kingdom hearts or ps2 classics for it?

2. I heard that sony was considering a playstation store remake. How do you feel about this and do you think we need a new xmb?

Thank you for making this video blogcast and I hope you take the time to read my questions and give me some answers.

+ ThoasBrand on November 23rd, 2011 at 5:09 pm said:

WOOHOO!!!! its here

+ HungrySoulEater on November 23rd, 2011 at 5:11 pm said:

You guys should share one of the best event/moment since working at Playstation. I would also like if you guys talked about upcoming games and thoughts about them. Ex. Street Fighter X Tekken, SoulCalibur, or Transformers: Fall of Cybertron. Love the podcast.

+ Jeff Rubenstein on November 24th, 2011 at 11:13 am said:

Good questions

+ HungrySoulEater on November 23rd, 2011 at 5:15 pm said:

Can you guys explain the whole PS Vita and PS3 game crossing and what games provide that?

+ Sid Shuman on November 24th, 2011 at 1:53 pm said:

You betcha — good questions

+ DARK_Malice on November 23rd, 2011 at 5:23 pm said:

The one guest I want (and you guys should be able to pull this off) is Shuhei Yoshida! Honestly, the one exec in this industry that I love to hear talk about games (probably because you rarely hear execs talk so candidly like Yoshida-san) . DO IT!!!

+ K3ViNPwNz- on November 23rd, 2011 at 5:26 pm said:

AWWWW YEAAAAAAAAH!

Sic Parvis Magna ;D

Uncharted 3 GAME OF THE YEAR!

+ Santos21 on November 23rd, 2011 at 5:32 pm said:

hey Nick sweet beard, I need to grow me one of those! lol..but great work guys. i think you did very good for a first show. obviously some things need work but overall it was good. the one hour time i think is perfect. its not that long and gives you enough time to cover plenty on news and subjects. For guest of course you should have david jaffe, he is always very interesting to listen to as he speaks his mind and looks at game creation from different views. Ken Levine would be awesome too so he can talk some Bioshock infinite and some VITA. amy henning or some of the guys from naughty dog would make a great podcast. And of course you can’t talk PS without the one and only VP of everything PS THE Kevin Butler! that would be a hilarious show! well keep up the good work guys, loved the podcast

+ Nick Suttner on November 23rd, 2011 at 6:26 pm said:

thanks! it’s at least three times the volume nowadays. sid got lost in it on the way to record the show this week.

we’d love to have David, Ken and Amy on, we’ll do our best to make it happen at some point.

PAGE 1 2 3