Bloodborne

PS3 System Software Update (v.4.00)

Eric Lempel's Avatar + Posted by Eric Lempel on Nov 29, 2011 // VP, Sony Network Entertainment

A new system software update (v4.00) will be released this week. In preparation for the launch of PlayStation Vita (PS Vita) in Japan, this update will prepare PlayStation 3 (PS3) to serve as a content management device. It will allow users to copy their digital content such as games, music, photos, and videos between PS Vita and PS3, back up PS Vita game games including save data to your PS3 hard drive, and update the system software for your PS Vita system using the network features of your PS3.

Other changes to take effect with this update include:

• PlayStation Plus members can now choose to enable or disable each automatic update feature
    • Game patches
    • System software
    • Recommended games and videos
    • Sync trophy information
  • New PlayStation Network settings for filtering friend requests and messages

You can find more details after the firmware goes live here. We look forward to your feedback.

582 Comments

PAGE 1 2 3 4 5 6 12

+ trapper12 on November 29th, 2011 at 7:57 pm said:

Why is everyone so worked up about this update? It’s just for Sony to get everything ready for the PS Vita. It might not come out till February, next year, but at least they’re preparing. For those that are complaining about no new features, Sony would love to add those features, but due to the amount of RAM that’s limited in the PS3 they can’t. Just wait for the PS4 next gen where Sony has a lot of RAM to implement those features you people want and more.

+ marionoaks on November 29th, 2011 at 7:57 pm said:

At least we don’t have to worry about this update later on.. I think it could of been a 3.80 however unless many secret minor updates occurred, but no biggie .

+ BJZHOX on November 29th, 2011 at 7:57 pm said:

what’s vita? and why is it so very important?

+ hrbrt7 on November 29th, 2011 at 7:57 pm said:

Useless update AGAIN.. No new features at all! :0

+ Sirynx77 on November 29th, 2011 at 7:59 pm said:

PS3 users need to give Sony some Boots To Asses.

+ FUNimation3 on November 29th, 2011 at 8:01 pm said:

USELESS UPDATE

+ GIVEMEIT on November 29th, 2011 at 8:02 pm said:

Sony has terrible PS3 download speeds, so now I’m at 21% through the download after half an hour on an internet connection that can do it in less than four minutes. I can’t download via PC because they still only have 3.73 on the website.

+ Sirynx77 on November 29th, 2011 at 8:03 pm said:

All kidding aside, we all have to realize that Sony is now in Vita form. The PS3 is old news for them and now they are focus on Vita.

As far as the XMB is concern, you do realize that the XMB is Sony’s bread and butter when it comes to user interface. I mean every Bravia, Blu-Ray player out there uses this archaic menu system. You know its old since it was first introduced in the PSX (the PS2 / DVR combo unit that failed to sell in Japan).

+ zachg07 on November 29th, 2011 at 8:06 pm said:

@157, just did mine only took about 4 min to download. You probably have a bad connection

+ yosevi on November 29th, 2011 at 8:08 pm said:

i just turn on my PS3 and start the UPDATE message….. to bad i can’t play for 30 minutes..

+ GIVEMEIT on November 29th, 2011 at 8:10 pm said:

Most other things download close to my internet connections maximum speed of 6Mbps (768KB/s). These updates download slower than anything else I download. I can watch streaming video on youtube at 720p without issues but I can’t download a little ~170MB update.

+ E-Phoenix- on November 29th, 2011 at 8:10 pm said:

I was expecting something bigger -_-

+ eaglefan129 on November 29th, 2011 at 8:11 pm said:

this update is pointless I mean why do we have to waste time to update something that’s not coming until feburary? I wish this was regional realease

+ D-Squad3 on November 29th, 2011 at 8:12 pm said:

BOO horrible update for v4.00

+ wiljas on November 29th, 2011 at 8:14 pm said:

Although this is a good update. It really does not help out the American market since we will not be getting the Vita for a few more months. Also I don’t get the whole 4.0 software although this is an update to the firmware. I would expect bigger changes each time you jump from 1 to 2 to 3 to 4 and so forth. Basically I am looking for that WOW! Factor instead of the “oh that’s nice” reaction.

+ ajcadoo on November 29th, 2011 at 8:14 pm said:

4.0 is a huge letdown. I think this is a sign that Sony is no longer focused on revolutionizing PS3. I have a feeling that they have something up their sleeves. We are at the 5 year mark of PS3, and I dont think a new XMB, PSN would be beneficial this far into the product cycle. I predict a PS4 announcement early 2013 with a brand spanking new console coming November 2013. The interface in the console will be top notch, cross game chat galore, PSN features that are useful, and PS move/3D will be all the rage.

+ Golden_1 on November 29th, 2011 at 8:15 pm said:

6mb/s? Wow, you on dial up or something? I am up in Canada, and have a 25mb/s modem….no wonder it takes you so long to get an update :)

+ Trucidation on November 29th, 2011 at 8:16 pm said:

/yawn

In other news the new 360 Dash adds a ton of features.

+ Golden_1 on November 29th, 2011 at 8:16 pm said:

PS4 is quite a ways away yet, probably 2014 holiday season, at the earliest! 10 year life cycle, remember? @165

+ megamixer on November 29th, 2011 at 8:17 pm said:

So I take it the people here complaining about the Vita additions this firmware brought aren’t importing one? Just saying. What the complaining should be directed at is how this update has broken PSP functionality. :|

+ darkedgex on November 29th, 2011 at 8:17 pm said:

Ugh… what a minor update. Please PLEASE add MKV (video) and FLAC (audio) support. IF you add FLAC support, please support higher quality audio as well (192 KHz/24-bit).

The PS3 used to be my #1 recommendation for people looking for a gaming and multimedia playing device. Now I can’t suggest it anymore because it honestly isn’t nearly as good as the boxes sold for $100 that WILL play all these newer/better formats of audio/video (as well as having better network support, not just DLNA as with the PS3).

Is the PS3 still a great gaming device? Sure, but as a “total package” sell? It doesn’t cut it, and it hasn’t for almost two years now.

+ Genexi2 on November 29th, 2011 at 8:19 pm said:

PS+ adjustment was well needed. I’m on limited bandwidth, so I always kept it off as I didn’t need it downloading 500mb+ worth of games/vids while I’m asleep. Now it’s practical for me being used just as a syncing utility for my cloud saves and trophies.

+ GIVEMEIT on November 29th, 2011 at 8:20 pm said:

Oh well I might add that I also live in Canada and 6Mbps is the fastest speed available at my location (rural area with high speed wireless) which by the way costs more than your 25Mbps connection.

+ Sirynx77 on November 29th, 2011 at 8:20 pm said:

@169: Less than four years left in that life cycle. The previous consoles were released at exactly the 5-6 year range of the previous console.

+ mystikalguy on November 29th, 2011 at 8:21 pm said:

Im gonna go ahead & say it…..I predict 1000 + comments pretty soon :P

+ zachg07 on November 29th, 2011 at 8:21 pm said:

Im on 35Mbps, 6Mbps is pretty slow…., you should upgrade.

+ Type-F- on November 29th, 2011 at 8:22 pm said:

That’s it? might as well not give us any update if is almost the same -_-‘

+ THEKILER_55 on November 29th, 2011 at 8:23 pm said:

why you didnt blog it in the psn site we are waiting plzzzz blog it

+ GIVEMEIT on November 29th, 2011 at 8:24 pm said:

The one upside is that i have the same upload of 1Mbps that the guys with 25Mbps download speeds do.

+ zachg07 on November 29th, 2011 at 8:26 pm said:

I think I get 5Mbps upload, I had fiber optic internet where I used to live and got 35 download and 35 upload

+ Giga_Gaia on November 29th, 2011 at 8:28 pm said:

Please Sony, would you stop being lazy and actually update and add something useful.

Also, why add stuff for the vita this early? And why bother with the vita at all, it will be a catastrophe due to the fact you’re obviously trying to rob people blind with the price of those memory cards.

+ GIVEMEIT on November 29th, 2011 at 8:28 pm said:

Well I’ll tell you that anyone in Canada who has a 25Mbps download speed has Shaw internet, and at that price point Shaw offers the same puny 1Mbps upload I get.

+ AarOn_Iza_SnipEr on November 29th, 2011 at 8:29 pm said:

Useful and Playstation 3 should never be used in the same sentence. OOPS!

+ GIVEMEIT on November 29th, 2011 at 8:32 pm said:

Anyway the basic math is here. My internet connection is rated for 768KB/s and lets be optimistic and say it’s only going at half speed. the update is approximately 175MB. At 384KB/s a 175MB file should download in 7 minutes and 36 seconds. I’m at 40% now after an hour.

+ FUNimation3 on November 29th, 2011 at 8:33 pm said:

so it useless

+ Golden_1 on November 29th, 2011 at 8:35 pm said:

Givemeit-Then you are getting shafted. My brother goes through explore net and has a much fater modem through xplorenet. His is almost as fast as mine and costs around the same as mine. I suggest giving them a call, see if there are better packages avaliable :)

+ John-Shooter on November 29th, 2011 at 8:35 pm said:

weak update.. i’d rather not have half the crap you guys gave us lately like the facebook integration and the stupid internet search option in the sub menu

who the heck came up w/ that dumb idea? and why does cross game chat have to be so important 90% of the games im in now a days have maybe 1 person that even has 1 active .. and half the time their playin stupid a$s music so loud the mic is distorted

give me back the old startup animation and give me back my movie playback while the xmb is up !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and give us more usefull features like
– the ability to sort trophies by % progress overall
– a real internet browser
– do away w/ the stupid cinavia protection
– mkv support would be nice

+ jeffrey98837 on November 29th, 2011 at 8:36 pm said:

One Word “PANDORA”

+ GIVEMEIT on November 29th, 2011 at 8:38 pm said:

Dude Xplorenet only offers 2Mbps-5Mbps.

+ John-Shooter on November 29th, 2011 at 8:39 pm said:

meant to say ” and why does cross game chat have to be so important 90% of the games im in now a days have maybe 1 person that even has a headset active .. and half the time their playin stupid a$s music so loud the mic is distorted”

+ John-Shooter on November 29th, 2011 at 8:41 pm said:

@ jeffrey98837

i could go for pandora too but i’d prob hardly use it now though.. just got a cheapo tablet that i loaded it on thats my new music player for my room

+ Golden_1 on November 29th, 2011 at 8:42 pm said:

Giveittome. So how is this sony’s fault, millions of people downloading off 1 place is going to cause slower download rates. Side note, my upload speed is 8mb/s :)

+ Golden_1 on November 29th, 2011 at 8:45 pm said:

Giveittome-i suggest calling them, they have better than what you have out. You have to call them, they dont tell you they have better, its up to you to know, there is a company that is shady right there!

+ GIVEMEIT on November 29th, 2011 at 8:45 pm said:

Really? How is this Sony’s fault? I can download on PC much faster but that option is not available like it usually is.

+ Squall1979 on November 29th, 2011 at 8:49 pm said:

Another unimpressive update for a network that has already maxed out the capabilities of the PS3. And how far away is the PS4?

Guess we are really starting to see the limitations of this machine. Not sure why you even announced it. Whole lot of nothing here.

+ Ricopitote on November 29th, 2011 at 8:59 pm said:

As usual an update that adds NOTHING of what we usersĀ“been asking for during the las couple years… And the other console gets revamped apparel, lots of features, cool looking menus and the list goes on. The xmb is so old, boring and … old and boring. You are making it too easy to choose my plattform for the next generation of consoles.

+ GIVEMEIT on November 29th, 2011 at 9:05 pm said:

okay.. it hit 50% and did the rest of the download in 30 seconds so it only took 1 and a half hours total. one hell of a progress bar you got there sony.

+ GILLIGAN- on November 29th, 2011 at 9:10 pm said:

I was excited when I saw 4.0, then read it and found out it pretty much does nothing new.

+ station3fever on November 29th, 2011 at 9:11 pm said:

How big is the file? 200, 300 megs?

Thanks

+ Unplugged on November 29th, 2011 at 9:13 pm said:

Great news for the Vita, PS3 gonna be like iTunes for iPhone. I hope it will bring new stuff to the PS3 too.

Can’t wait for the Vita! Is the Vita region free?

PAGE 1 2 3 4 5 6 12