PS4 - Destiny

Exclusive Look At New Characters In New Yakuza: Dead Souls Trailer

Kellie Parker's Avatar + Posted by Kellie Parker on Nov 30, 2011 // Community Manager, Sega of America

You may have heard that Yakuza: Dead Souls is coming to PlayStation 3 in March 2012. Like Yakuza 4, the game will let you play as four characters, including two never-before-played fan favorites: Goro Majima and Ryuji Goda. It’s a Yakuza experience like none other, because this time, you’ll be fighting a horde of blood-thirsty zombies.

The undead are multiplying and filling the streets of Tokyo’s red light district. The area is quarantined quickly, but degenerates into a district full of terror, panic and devastation. Survivors try to flee the city, but four men rise up to protect those they care most about. If you think zombies are bad, meet the Yakuza.

Playable for the first time in Yakuza: Dead Souls, Goro Majima is nuts about zombie movies. He’s so excited to be killing off zombies that when you’re playing as Majima, you’ll be picking fights with zombies, instead of just merely defending yourself. Now that’s bad ass.

You probably thought Ryuji Goda was dead after Yakuza 2. But you’d be wrong, and not because he’s a reanimated zombie back to munch your brains. He’s more interested in cooking you some takoyaki at a street stall. In case mysteriously reappearing from the presumed-dead for some yummy fried octopus is not ridiculous enough for you, you should know that his prosthetic arm can transform into a gatling gun. You’ve never been able to play as Goda before, and it’s not something you’ll soon forget.

Your returning Yakuza favorites, Shun Akiyama and Kazuma Kiryu, will also be packing some heat: Akiyama specializes in dual handguns to protect himself, and Kiryu, not one to skimp when it comes to strength, will have a very special gun of his own.

Play as your favorite character, grab an attractive hostess to be your butt-kicking sidekick and arm yourself with your favorite gun or whatever item is within reach – chainsaws, bicycles, fire extinguishers, desks or anything else you can pick up. It’s time to fight some zombies!

Want to ask Kate about her favorite item to smack a zombie with? Want to ask Kellie what the heck takoyaki is? We’ll both be in the comments to answer these and any other Yakuza: Dead Souls questions you have for us.

+ PublicSudoku on November 30th, 2011 at 8:50 am said:

I want an arm like Goda’s.

+ Kellie Parker on November 30th, 2011 at 10:01 am said:

It could lead to some pretty awkward situations, though.

+ Snocherry on November 30th, 2011 at 8:55 am said:

Getting to play as Majima, I’ve been waiting a long time for this.

+ Kellie Parker on November 30th, 2011 at 10:04 am said:

Awesome! We like making people happy. :)

+ hypersk_us on November 30th, 2011 at 9:29 am said:

I love takoyaki! It’s not usual to find it where I live right now (México City), but there’s the anime conventions and Mikasa (a Japanese supermarket).

To stay on topic: Please can you tell us if we’ll get a demo of this game on PSN (and when)?

+ Kellie Parker on December 1st, 2011 at 9:59 am said:

Takoyaki is awesome! No word about a demo currently. Stay tuned!

+ JH-FallenReaper on November 30th, 2011 at 9:45 am said:

MY STORY-i tought yakuza was a game to pass because of the low reviews and when i went to black friday i picked up heavy rain,batman ac,and i had to choose between yakuza 4 and singularity for 10 bucks,when i played them all heavy rain was my favorite still havnt passed batman but not digging it alot its good but not what reviews said, again when i played yakuza 4 i was in love with that game it has it all humor,violence,great story,good gameplay not great but good,and good graphics ill buy any yakuza on release please release more,im even daring saying yakuza 4 to me has a better story than uncharted 3,yakuza all the way!BUT KILLZONE 3 my GOTY!

+ Kellie Parker on November 30th, 2011 at 10:05 am said:

That’s awesome that you picked up Yakuza 4 and loved it! Yakuza: Dead Souls is out in March, so your next Yakuza fix is not that far away.

+ lolidkwot on November 30th, 2011 at 9:59 am said:

MAJIMAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA-sama!!!! God I can’t wait to play as him. Believe it or not, I prefer playing as Akiyama over Kazuma but either way Majima is the one I can’t wait to play as!

+ Kellie Parker on November 30th, 2011 at 10:06 am said:

I love that there are two brand new playable characters in this game. Glad you are looking forward to Majima!

+ alok893 on November 30th, 2011 at 10:04 am said:

Yakuza 1 and 2 were some of the best game of all time!
Nishki-yama in Yakuza 1 and Ryuji in Yakuza 2 were some of the best villans of all time!
Kiryu Kazuma is the most baddass hero of all time in Yakuza 1 and Yakuza 2.
I hope they add those classics to the store or release a HD collection.
These games beat the hell out of gta or any other rpg.

+ Kellie Parker on November 30th, 2011 at 10:11 am said:

Have you picked up Yakuza 3 or 4 yet? The classics are great, but there are other great games in the Yakuza series too!

+ Skv007 on November 30th, 2011 at 10:14 am said:

hehhee!
I love how Yakuza games always release right near my bday! (March)

It gives me the perfect reason to pick up Yakuza!
Can’t wait! Love the franchise! I’m soo happy we get to play Majima haha

+ Kellie Parker on November 30th, 2011 at 10:17 am said:

A great birthday present for you! So glad you’re excited.

+ boxmyth on November 30th, 2011 at 10:17 am said:

Pretty damn sure this is my most anticipated game of 2012. Every Yakuza game is classic, guns or not.

+ Kate Bryant on November 30th, 2011 at 11:01 am said:

I think you’ll really like the guns assortment as well as your choices for melee weapons. Seriously, you can hit a zombie with a moped if you want.

+ Adelflame on November 30th, 2011 at 10:21 am said:

At least this will keep me busy till yakuza 5 comes out, hoping this one´s story is good as the cannon ones :)

+ Kate Bryant on November 30th, 2011 at 11:02 am said:

There’s plenty of stuff to keep you busy. :) We’ll have more info on that soon but this will definitely be a game that can hold your attention.

+ sugarfree98USA on November 30th, 2011 at 10:38 am said:

cool. any plans for a ps vita version?

+ Kate Bryant on November 30th, 2011 at 11:03 am said:

As with other Yakuza titles, this one is a PS3 exclusive.

+ hypersk_us on November 30th, 2011 at 10:44 am said:

Why was my comment deleted?

I just said that I loved takoyaki even though it’s hard to find in my country…

Well, I also asked if there was a chance for a demo coming out on PSN, but nothing offensive…

+ Kate Bryant on November 30th, 2011 at 11:04 am said:

I’m not sure why it got deleted! Takoyaki is awesome.

+ UltimaDestroyer on November 30th, 2011 at 10:45 am said:

im so excited for this game! cant wait to fight zombies in kamurocho!! how soon will the cut content list be revealed?

ps – pass along word that we want valkyria chronicles 3 dammit!!

+ Kellie Parker on November 30th, 2011 at 3:19 pm said:

We’re excited that you’re excited! Also, Valkyria 3 request noted. Stay tuned for more info!

+ Darewind on November 30th, 2011 at 11:00 am said:

I picked up Yakuza 4 on a whim while helping out some family members get some things they were after during black friday this year.I must say I was pleasantly surprised at how good the game has turned out to be.I look forward to Dead Souls.

+ Kate Bryant on November 30th, 2011 at 11:04 am said:

Glad you liked it… Now look forward to liking it – with zombies.

+ Baron_Von_Bonbon on November 30th, 2011 at 11:23 am said:

Zombies and Yakuza are like cake, I can’t get enough!

+ Kellie Parker on November 30th, 2011 at 3:20 pm said:

Then this will be like double layer cake! 2 layers of awesome!

+ Neil on November 30th, 2011 at 11:30 am said:

I would just like to thank you guys for bringing this series over to the US.

+ Kate Bryant on November 30th, 2011 at 2:23 pm said:

As Mary-Kate would say, “You got it dude!”

+ Kate Bryant on November 30th, 2011 at 2:23 pm said:

Wait. Mary-Kate’s the real one. Well, anyways, as that kid on Full House would say…

+ TheGrimHeaper on November 30th, 2011 at 11:55 am said:

I’m totally excited to perform Get to the Top as Majima. Then again, Kazzy-chan is always cool. I missed Goda and fell in love with Akiyama while playing Yakuza 4. Why must I choose?! ;_;

+ Kate Bryant on November 30th, 2011 at 2:24 pm said:

You can always play through and then switch it up!

+ megamixer on November 30th, 2011 at 12:16 pm said:

It is very disappointing to see this crappy spinoff getting localized rather than the two PSP Yakuza games. You know, the ones that stay true to the series gameplay instead of turning it into a wannabe zombie shooter (doesn’t the world have enough of those already?). As someone who owns Yakuza 1-4 and has played through them a few times each, I’d like to say I won’t be buying this game. :|

+ Kate Bryant on November 30th, 2011 at 2:26 pm said:

Sorry you feel that way, but I wouldn’t write it off completely. ^.~

+ jimmyfoxhound on November 30th, 2011 at 12:31 pm said:

Thanks SO much Sega for bringing this to the States! As someone who owns Yakuza 1-4 and have played though them a few times each, I’d like to say I will be buying this game!! :D

+ Kellie Parker on November 30th, 2011 at 3:20 pm said:

Awesome!

+ alfromhellsing on November 30th, 2011 at 2:15 pm said:

Another great game coming out in March 2012.

+ Kellie Parker on November 30th, 2011 at 3:21 pm said:

you got it!

+ ViolentGene on November 30th, 2011 at 2:27 pm said:

I hate to be “that guy”, but why would SEGA bring THIS over and not Yakuza: Black Panther? BP is sooo much better :/

+ Kellie Parker on December 1st, 2011 at 10:01 am said:

… then don’t be “that guy”. ;-) This game is getting a lot of love, and I encourage you to give it a chance!

+ DNAgent on November 30th, 2011 at 2:57 pm said:

Any chance of Yakuza 1 & 2 being available on PS3? It can either be a HD Collection OR it could be through PSN as you can now download PS2 games from PSN.

Yakuza 1 stops at a certain point in the game that can’t be passed by any means on a backwards compatibile 80GB PS3.

+ Kellie Parker on December 1st, 2011 at 4:26 pm said:

Sorry, no news on that at the moment.

+ SethsDeathnote on November 30th, 2011 at 3:08 pm said:

HI sega ! I was the winner of the PS3 Signed game pack for PS3 back in march / april . I just wanted to say that I LOVED yakuza 4 , it is without a doubt the GREATEST game on the PS3 . thank you for getting me into games I never would have tried other wise .

+ Kate Bryant on December 1st, 2011 at 9:24 am said:

Glad you like it!

+ GameDude79 on November 30th, 2011 at 3:11 pm said:

SEGA, please localize Ryu ga Gotoku Kenzan! I’ve always wanted to play that game.

+ Kellie Parker on December 1st, 2011 at 10:01 am said:

We’re focusing on Yakuza: Dead Souls right now, but appreciate that Yakuza fans want more, more, more!

+ SEGAFAN-Portugal on November 30th, 2011 at 3:11 pm said:

This, Binary Domain, Virtua Fighter FS and Sonic CD will be “day one” for me. I will always support SEGA.

+ Kate Bryant on December 1st, 2011 at 9:24 am said:

Thanks! Glad you’re excited!

+ Matrix_Lion on November 30th, 2011 at 3:28 pm said:

March has so many good games coming out. That’s crazy

+ Kellie Parker on December 1st, 2011 at 10:02 am said:

CRAZY!

+ Clint123 on November 30th, 2011 at 3:32 pm said:

wow that game looks so cool bring on next year new games and non-stop playing them

+ Kellie Parker on December 1st, 2011 at 10:02 am said:

Awesome! Glad you’re excited.

+ poodude on November 30th, 2011 at 5:06 pm said:

Finished Yakuza 3 back in October and I loved it. So, all I can say is OH MY GOD I CANNOT WAIT. Also, you guys think we could have a simultaneous release for Yakuza 5? :).

+ Kellie Parker on December 1st, 2011 at 10:03 am said:

Have you played Yakuza 4? That could keep you busy until Yakuza: Dead Souls is out.

+ Elvenmonk on November 30th, 2011 at 6:15 pm said:

IS there a chance of this one being dubbed? The lack of dubbing is what stops me from really getting Yak 3 and 4. I played the demos and my friend’s copies. It’s a fun game but the subs go too fast that I can’t read the story and pay attention to the action on screen.

+ Kellie Parker on December 1st, 2011 at 10:12 am said:

The game retains its original Japanese VO, which includes some well-known Japanese stars and famous actors/actresses. But the subtitles don’t move too quickly, and with some practice, you should have no trouble reading along.

+ Mr_Bipolar on November 30th, 2011 at 7:35 pm said:

I appreciate games like Nintendo and sega to allow to bring out old collection games. I tell yea, this weeks updates and new releases have been epic!

Start playing Yakuza seems awesome.

I see a lot of good games coming out next year makes me hurt and want them badly. But soon all the next year games will be here.

I peeked on amazon and saw all the good games coming 2012. And seen them on PS3 exclusive blogs.

+ Kellie Parker on December 1st, 2011 at 10:04 am said:

Glad you’re excited about Yakuza: Dead Souls!

+ Elvenmonk on November 30th, 2011 at 10:41 pm said:

Also, if no english VA on disc can you guys do it as DLC like Koei did with Dynasty Warriors 7 and Japanese voices?

+ ZOMBIE-PAPA on December 1st, 2011 at 12:22 am said:

Looking great! there can never be enough zombie apocalypse games imho:D
i’ll be sure to add this to my zombie collection come march

+ Kellie Parker on December 1st, 2011 at 10:05 am said:

ZOMBIES FTW

+ killersense on December 1st, 2011 at 9:39 am said:

Wait does this have 4 player coop? also is there a story to the single player where you can play as one of the characters and the rest as ai teammates.

ALSO PLZ PLZ BRING VALKYRIA CHRONICLES 2 AND 3 FOR THE VITA AND/OR PS3. A NEW GAME WOULD BE AWESOME TOO

+ Kellie Parker on December 1st, 2011 at 10:15 am said:

The game is single player only (no co-op). You can get an NPC ally to team up with you (and you can level them up), though these are additional characters besides the four you’ll play as. You never know what you might find when you build strong relationships with people!

+ muzik_minded on December 1st, 2011 at 11:39 am said:

I am a huge fan of this series and i already have this preordered!!! Can you PLEEEEAAAASSSEEE bring the soundtrack to the US this time!?!?!?!? We kinda got screwed out of the OST for Yakuza 3 and 4 and i would love to own at least one because the music is just as epic as the game

+ Kellie Parker on December 1st, 2011 at 4:27 pm said:

request noted. no promises. :)

+ Rodnd on December 1st, 2011 at 11:47 am said:

\o/ I love Yakuza Saga thanks SEGA…I would like if possible to be re-released remastered Yakuza 1 and 2 with trophies in a single disc and also for download on PSN pleaseeeeee :) …embrace the whole team SEGA…

+ Kellie Parker on December 1st, 2011 at 4:27 pm said:

request noted!

+ Samule767 on December 1st, 2011 at 4:46 pm said:

I am really excited for Dead Souls. Hopefully i will finish yakuza 3 and 4 before march.

+ Kellie Parker on December 2nd, 2011 at 9:50 am said:

you can dooo eeettt!

+ Tzigrel on December 1st, 2011 at 7:08 pm said:

But will I be able to take a break from all the zombie slaying and sing at a karaoke bar…with a zombie?

+ Kellie Parker on December 2nd, 2011 at 9:51 am said:

stay tuned for more info…

+ Clark_kent01 on December 1st, 2011 at 9:41 pm said:

Whoa this is gonna be awesome gotta save this on my list ^^

+ Kellie Parker on December 2nd, 2011 at 9:51 am said:

woo woo! yes, it is going to be awesome!

+ Kilvoctu on December 2nd, 2011 at 3:37 pm said:

Will there be a chance for Yakuza: Dead Souls to be dubbed? Since I’m a native English speaker, I have the same problem with any form of media that is subtitles only: I find myself just staring at and reading text most of the time, as opposed to what’s happening on-screen. As a result, I feel fairly detached from the characters and story.
Since the Yakuza series is known for amazing characters and story lines, this could be an issue.

For example, I couldn’t even imagine if Metal Gear Solid was full Japanese audio. All those memorable lines we know and love to quote and various ways would be lost. These things just don’t have that same impact when you’re listening to gibberish while reading text, rather than hearing a delivery in your native language.

+ xBarritx on December 2nd, 2011 at 3:57 pm said:

Can’t wait for this. I played the Japanese demo and really liked it, so I’m looking forward to it!

+ Elvenmonk on December 2nd, 2011 at 8:05 pm said:

Well, I doubt this’ll make it through your moderation, but for deleting a fair and honest response that picked apart and prove your statement to be a bad response you chose not to publish you lost a customer. While yes I was planning on getting End of Days, and Yak 3 and 4 (waiting for more fair prices as again I don’t see this game to be worth $60 since you do a minimal job the port to America). So, while I guess 1 customer does not mean much to you, I’ll be sure to try my best to sway everyone I know from Sega games.

+ thundercat17 on December 2nd, 2011 at 9:05 pm said:

pure awesomeness, been a yakuza fan since picking up the first one randomly, cant wait to expand my yakuza collection

@elvenmonk, dude are you retarded or too lazy to read subs, english dubs will just ruin yakuza, the japanese voice makes yakuza unique on its own

and please sega, DONT DUB THE YAKUZA SERIES

p.s any one know any website with yakuza merchandise on it

+ favian on December 6th, 2011 at 2:58 pm said:

Where’s Audrey? Unacceptable.

+ Elvenmonk on December 8th, 2011 at 2:34 am said:

@thundercat17
Nevermind the people who ignore Yak simply because it isn’t dubbed. I’m not saying they have to get rid of the Japanese dub I’m saying add in the options of English dubs. It can be DLC like Dynasty Warriors 7 had.

Also, really going to insult someone simply because they want to be able to get the full experience from a game?

+ lupinyes102 on December 9th, 2011 at 4:53 am said:

Hi Sega, Yakuza 4 is my first Yakuza series and today i just buy Yakuza 3. I like the game with a good story, I like this game cinematic, i like the voice acting and please don’t dub Yakuza series. But, a big cons about yakuza is VOICELESS CUTSCENE.

This game has a good, no i mean GREAT voice acting, sadly there are many voiceless cutscene.